Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 206012 times)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking: $600+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #400 on: September 15, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »
Are we supposed to activate the AU card?  I didn't see any guidance either way in the documents.  It seems like activation is not necessary from what I know of AUs.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #401 on: September 15, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »
Are we supposed to activate the AU card?  I didn't see any guidance either way in the documents.  It seems like activation is not necessary from what I know of AUs.

Nope, no need. Stick it in a drawer for the month, shred it when you remove them as an AU.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: September 16, 2016, 06:12:52 AM »
I just got another $1450 on my Discover IT from the online request, but I'm still only at $7700 total. I haven't had it for all that long yet (less than two years) so I may request again in a few months.

After getting the initial CL boost on my old barely-used Discover on the first inquiry ($3600 -> $6600) and being denied once in the meantime (insufficient experience with this credit limit) and some mild usage of the card (< $100/mo) - about 2 months after the first boost, I was just bumped again ($6600 -> $8100)

So, I am guessing I will need another 6 months or so to break the $10k barrier.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: September 16, 2016, 04:54:51 PM »
I was told they are no longer accepting new applicants. Anyone else been told this?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2016, 04:58:09 PM »
I was told they are no longer accepting new applicants. Anyone else been told this?

This is indeed the case; they have stopped signups to prevent supply (cards) outstripping demand (AUs).

See edit at the top of the OP, or this post from the bottom of the previous page.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: September 16, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
Are they accepting cards from an existing sellers?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: September 16, 2016, 06:36:42 PM »
Arebelspy why don't you start a tradeline company so that you can put all our good credit lines to use?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #407 on: September 16, 2016, 06:55:56 PM »

Not sure, will have to check on this.  Changes to existing enrolled cards (e.g. credit line increases) definitely are good though.

Arebelspy why don't you start a tradeline company so that you can put all our good credit lines to use?

Hah.  That sounds like work.  ;)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: September 17, 2016, 06:38:45 AM »
We would all help.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #409 on: September 17, 2016, 06:46:38 AM »
You guys realize there are other sites right.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #410 on: September 17, 2016, 06:48:18 AM »

Lots.

Have you found one you think is worth working with?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #411 on: September 17, 2016, 09:28:35 AM »
I had one I contacted simultaneous to the one we use that seemed legit. But when you referred this site as well as the fact that I don't have anymore cards to put in the system I had no reason to test

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #412 on: September 18, 2016, 12:03:20 AM »
I set this up but haven't gotten any orders yet. Assuming since my account was approved before the freeze I'm OK. I'll see what happens this month.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #413 on: September 18, 2016, 07:25:40 AM »
We would all help.

This - come on arebelspy, you know you want to ;)

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #414 on: September 18, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »

Lots.

I tried two other sites just based on what reviews I could find on them - [URL Removed] and [URL Removed]. I do not recommend either of them. If anyone finds another reliable vendor please report back to the group.

MOD EDIT: URLs removed, per earlier discussion on posting URLs here.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:10:13 PM by arebelspy »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: September 18, 2016, 08:48:01 PM »
Is someone allowed to post a thread about tradeline companies, with their actual names, in which comparisons are made?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #416 on: September 18, 2016, 08:59:19 PM »
Is someone allowed to post a thread about tradeline companies, with their actual names, in which comparisons are made?

I'd prefer not, because Google, but if you'd like to, please use the journal section, which requires a login, so isn't indexed by search engines. 

I'm only leaving this thread open (rather than locking it) so those who have signed up can discuss, if they want, but that may change, too.  It'll still exist, for people to see the concept and read about it.  But over the last two months, I think the vast, vast majority of the forum readers that were interested got a referral and signed up.  Now a lot of the people contacting me were new signups.  I'd rather not see the MMM forums flooded by nonMustachians for unrelated topics, especially once everyone who's a regular here got the opportunity to sign up.

In fact, I may just move this thread to the journals section, too.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:03:42 PM by arebelspy »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #417 on: September 18, 2016, 11:56:34 PM »
Is there anyone who has had any sales, and will provide rough card details (provider, age, limit)?

I had one sale relatively quickly on the first card I enrolled: Chase, three years, $22,000
I had signed it up a bit ago, before this thread really blew up.

Further data point: wife just got a sale on her Chase, five years, $23,000

I understand your reason to move to journals, non indexed by search, but seems funny: Selling Tradelines Journals. We'll have to spice it up to keep it relevant

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #418 on: September 19, 2016, 12:04:23 AM »
Well crap I never signed up!  Anyone with a referral care to PM me before this thread disappears?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #419 on: September 19, 2016, 12:08:21 AM »
Well crap I never signed up!  Anyone with a referral care to PM me before this thread disappears?

I sent you a PM to let you know the name of the company, but like I said, it's not really any good until 2017, as they aren't accepting new accounts right now.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:12:36 AM by arebelspy »

Richie Poor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #420 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:16 AM »

Lots.

Does the tradeline company take any steps to verify that the card information you give them is accurate?

I'm curious to know what criteria would make a reputable tradeline dealer? Would it be looking out for the cardholder by limiting AUs? Is it just a matter of knowing someone who has experience with the place?

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: September 19, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »
I reported that in Reply #392 on: September 15, 2016

Belief10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #422 on: September 20, 2016, 03:49:58 PM »
I was fortunate to get two cards in under the deadline, but still no sales yet. I'm hoping this month I will get some.

ostornadoe1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #423 on: September 20, 2016, 10:03:55 PM »
Got my first sale! Very happy about it and looking to increase other tradelines to make more money.

Only questionable thing was that while talking with the CC rep, she asked me if I wanted the card sent to my address or to the AU's address. Obviously I said mine, but it did make me a little concerned that they might easily send one to the AU in the future.... I plan on calling a time or two in the next few days to see if I can use the AU's info to get a card sent to their address (secret shopper/ devil's advocate/ whatever you want to call it).

Will report back with results soon.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #424 on: September 20, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »
Only questionable thing was that while talking with the CC rep, she asked me if I wanted the card sent to my address or to the AU's address. Obviously I said mine, but it did make me a little concerned that they might easily send one to the AU in the future.... I plan on calling a time or two in the next few days to see if I can use the AU's info to get a card sent to their address (secret shopper/ devil's advocate/ whatever you want to call it).

I had a rep ask the same thing, too, and I said my address, and was quite confused.  Then towards the end of the call, I asked if I even could have sent it to the AUs address, as I thought it could only go to the main address on the account, and she went and checked and came back and said "oh, that's right" and said that it could only go to my address.  She seemed new.

Now all the cards I use can add online (and half can be removed online), so I rarely even have to call.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #425 on: September 20, 2016, 11:28:27 PM »
Got my first sale! Very happy about it and looking to increase other tradelines to make more money.

Uh, that's terrifying. I hope that this was a case like ARS, where she was inexperienced, and in fact, the system wouldn't let her send to the AU, even if she tried.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #426 on: September 21, 2016, 09:07:08 AM »
Maybe I'm mis-reading the directions but on call-in adds I haven't even given the rep the AU's address - just name, birthdate, and social security.

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #427 on: September 21, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »
Hi all -- Wanted to share my experiences with the co. that ARS recommended:

1. signed up mid-July
2. Got my first sale 8/19/16      - Barclaycard 14000 limit (I believe I should be paid for this around 9/30/16)
3. Got my second sale 9/21/16 -  Barclaycard 24000 limit (I'd upped the limit for the card I used in #2)

I have two other cards signed up, Chase and Discover, and no nibbles on those.

I added the AUs online. Barclaycard didn't ask for SSs, just name and address. Not sure how this can report to credit bureaus without the SSs, but we shall see.

Also, I tried logging into pay*.com, which administers the payments, and no matter which browser type I try to use, I get an "insecure connection" message and can't get in. Anyone else see this problem?

Big (big!) thanks to ARS for sharing all this info with the rest of us, and drawing this long-time MMM lurker out of the shadows and into the forum.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: September 21, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »
i think we've flooded their system with AU sellers that they dont have enough buyers.  but all my cards are full. bofa and chase so only 2 au's each

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #429 on: September 21, 2016, 01:25:39 PM »
I added the AUs online. Barclaycard didn't ask for SSs, just name and address. Not sure how this can report to credit bureaus without the SSs, but we shall see.

I noticed that a SS box doesn't show up unless you select "other" from the drop-down box for choosing the AU's relationship to you. I do believe that the social security number is usually very important for the adds to report correctly.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #430 on: September 21, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
Maybe I'm mis-reading the directions but on call-in adds I haven't even given the rep the AU's address - just name, birthdate, and social security.

Issuers vary on what information they request when you add an AU.  I think if you look towards the front of their PDF instructions for adding an AU it actually lists what information is requested on a per issuer basis.

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2016, 04:14:55 PM »
Yup, the TL company's "how to add AUs" PDF says Barclays requires a SS and their step-by-step instructions show such a field on a sample Barclays web page. But the form didn't show that field for me, and I chose "Other" as relationship. Hmm...

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: September 21, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »
Just as a data point, I just sold a spot on my Discover card with $7500 limit.  So even though they now want $10,000+ limits for all new cards, you might still get sales if you have cards with lower limits.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #433 on: September 21, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »
Yup, the info required varies based on the card issuer.

I do my adds online, and just fill in all the info they ask for.

Just as a data point, I just sold a spot on my Discover card with $7500 limit.  So even though they now want $10,000+ limits for all new cards, you might still get sales if you have cards with lower limits.

Yep, they always honor any cards enrolled in the system before changes.  Glad to hear you got a sale on a card with a lower limit!  :)

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: September 21, 2016, 08:11:31 PM »
I'm bummed that I never got a reply back from them. I figured I would have heard back by now. :(

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: September 22, 2016, 12:38:24 PM »
I got the credit limit raised on my 11 yr old CITI card.  I requested it online, and it said I'd be notified by Email, but they sent me a letter in the postal mail.
I'm using my 9 yr old Discover card a bit (and will pay it off in full a couple times) before I request a credit limit increase on it.  The only activity it's seen over the last few years was the annual dues for a trade association.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: September 22, 2016, 04:45:18 PM »
Just got an order for the 2nd slot on my $15k, 4 year old USBank card, first slot sold last month.

My friend who is not on MMM got 2 sales yesterday.

I think I will go ahead and offer them my Discover. It's only $8,100 now, but it is over 20 years old.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:53:13 PM by TomTX »

ostornadoe1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #437 on: September 22, 2016, 08:57:43 PM »

Uh, that's terrifying. I hope that this was a case like ARS, where she was inexperienced, and in fact, the system wouldn't let her send to the AU, even if she tried.
Update as promised:

I called in 4 times and talked to four different reps (used different credit cards and tried a different bank as well) and they all said that if an authorized user calls in, they can send the card out to their address. So, I took it a step further and called in pretending to be the AU that I recently added. After confirming information (that I doubt an AU would be able to access) they were able to send out a card to the AU's address :(

I then googled the address that I had for the AU that I added. It was a recently foreclosed home, which could either make sense because someone is looking for credit, or potentially bad if there is mail going to a home with nobody at it and someone is taking advantage of that fact.

I've decided to cancel the AU (and get a new CC number issued) and let [Mod Edit: Tradeline Company] know that I cancelled and am terminating our agreement. :(

Although I think it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for an AU to figure out all of the necessary information to get a card sent out, there's too much risk in my eyes to justify the reward. I would constantly stress out about the small chance that something bad happens. And unfortunately, if they received access, these aren't small credit lines we're talking about.

However, I was not able to find any scams and the background info I found on the company did not throw up any more flags. There have obviously been people on these boards doing it for a while without any issues, so I'm not saying to not do it. Just keep in mind the risk/reward ratio here. Just my own personal thoughts.  Thank you ARS for being very helpful through the process.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:59:09 PM by arebelspy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #438 on: September 22, 2016, 09:00:02 PM »
Wow,  crazy!

Thanks for following up on this!

What credit card company is this?  If I have a card by them, I want to do testing of my own (and/or unenroll those cards). (EDIT: Discussed over PM, was Chase, which I don't currently use anyways. Ost said Discover told them the same thing, though I've spoken with Discover and been assured an AU cannot order a card, or have it sent anywhere but the primary address.)

Definitely hasn't been my experience with the cards I've enrolled, when I've talked to reps.

After confirming information (that I doubt an AU would be able to access)

I mean, that's at least a small relief, but I personally wouldn't use any CC where they'd send a card to the AU.  Definitely not worth the risk in those cases.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:10:22 PM by arebelspy »

ostornadoe1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #439 on: September 22, 2016, 09:24:18 PM »
As ARS has already done, I would recommend doing your own research with any bank that you will be using.

It is possible that I misworded the way I asked the Discover rep, or that she wasn't knowledgeable about it.

This could possibly be a reason they stopped allowing Chase cards to be used.

FIREandMONEY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #440 on: September 23, 2016, 09:37:04 AM »
Update as promised:

I called in 4 times and talked to four different reps (used different credit cards and tried a different bank as well) and they all said that if an authorized user calls in, they can send the card out to their address. So, I took it a step further and called in pretending to be the AU that I recently added. After confirming information (that I doubt an AU would be able to access) they were able to send out a card to the AU's address :(

I then googled the address that I had for the AU that I added. It was a recently foreclosed home, which could either make sense because someone is looking for credit, or potentially bad if there is mail going to a home with nobody at it and someone is taking advantage of that fact.

I've decided to cancel the AU (and get a new CC number issued) and let [Mod Edit: Tradeline Company] know that I cancelled and am terminating our agreement. :(

Although I think it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for an AU to figure out all of the necessary information to get a card sent out, there's too much risk in my eyes to justify the reward. I would constantly stress out about the small chance that something bad happens. And unfortunately, if they received access, these aren't small credit lines we're talking about.

However, I was not able to find any scams and the background info I found on the company did not throw up any more flags. There have obviously been people on these boards doing it for a while without any issues, so I'm not saying to not do it. Just keep in mind the risk/reward ratio here. Just my own personal thoughts.  Thank you ARS for being very helpful through the process.

This is precisely why I asked the question about the waiver of liability for fraudulent charges a few posts ago.

I have seen or experienced enough on both sides of these grey area/semi-legal type dealings that I am confident if a identity thief put their mind to it, they could become an AU and figure out a way to social engineer their way to getting a copy of the card.  For ANY big CC company.  A company will tell you there is NO WAY an AU can get a copy of their card, but in the end, all it takes is a CSR gullible/ignorant enough to send one out.  It's a game of cat and mouse, and there are very intelligent cat and mice on BOTH sides of the game.  I am just not sure if right now it's worth the ID thief's time, as there are lots of other (perhaps easier) opportunities out there.

I seriously considered this when I saw the first post pop up, but when I imagine the feeling when I see $20K worth of charges from Joe Blow on Joe Blow's card that I authorized, I get a sick feeling in my stomach.  My recourse would be nil.   The juice ain't worth the squeeze for me.

When a tradeline company produces some sort of seller-insurance or waiver of liability, I'll be all over this. 

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #441 on: September 23, 2016, 09:38:36 AM »

Not sure, will have to check on this.  Changes to existing enrolled cards (e.g. credit line increases) definitely are good though.

ARS: Thanks for all the information and serving as go-between for these questions. Curious if they've said whether current enrollees can add new cards. I'm almost ready to have 2 Discover Cards (10 possible AUs!!) that will be ready to go and would love to add them before January. Thanks again!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2016, 09:55:33 AM »
Got my first order today. Luckily it was not on my Chase card, which I'd decided to pull from the system after reading this thread yesterday. Maybe lowering their AU security is a clever way to keep people from selling them as tradelines :-)

I looked at the AU terms and conditions when I added the order (it was on my Capital One card) and it specifically says that AUs cannot request a card, and I don't think it even gave me an option to mail a card to any address but my own.

.22guy

• Stubble
« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »
Fuuuuck.

I set this up, got two orders (Barclay card) and was feeling good about it.  Now I'm freaked out again.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #444 on: September 23, 2016, 10:35:56 AM »
Wow.  That's not good.  Granted, your average everyday person probably couldn't pull it off, but someone who knew what they were doing - maybe.  I will have to decide what my risk tolerance is on this particular hustle.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:37:37 AM by Fireball »

ostornadoe1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »
From the rep at the tradeline company:

Yes, in a typical situation an authorized user could call in and ask for an authorized user card to be sent to their address. However, please remember that this is not a typical situation. A typical situation is a family member who knows basic things like the name of the primary account holder and card number of the authorized user card. This is not a typical situation as the authorized user does not know your name and if you do not send them the card, which you have complete control over, they will never know the card number. The only information they have on your card is the primary bank issuer, the credit limit, the opening date, and the statement date. If they wanted to access your card they first off would not even know which type of Chase card you have to call in - as they all have different numbers to call into customer service. So they would not even know the number to call. Even if they did call Chase customer service, they don't know your name or account number, so there would be no way for them to access your account to request an authorized user card since they wouldn't even be able to direct the customer service rep to an account. And even if they did, like you said yourself, they would have to answer a bunch of security questions they don't know the answer to either (again they don't even know your name!).

We've been in this business for over three years and we've never even had an attempted security breach, because as I described the AU doesn't have any information that would allow them to access your account. We, on the other hand, have the client's name, SSN, date of birth, address, and a legal document saying we can take them to court for even attempting to access an investor's information.

Here's some of my reply and thoughts:

Thank you for your in depth reply. Although you are probably correct that the AU wouldn't have any information, if they were to contact one of the three credit bureaus I'm not sure that the credit bureaus would not give out some information, such as the last four of the CC, or what the card was, as they would have a right to legally know who opened an AU account on their name, to stop instances of fraud. When I signed up, I had believed that banks would absolutely never send a credit card out to an AU address. From the FAQ that you sent me "With (Insert Company name here), the AU will never have access to the card. It is bank policy that all cards, including AUs, will only be sent to the primary account holder’s address."

Again, I'm sure it is pretty safe, but the risk to reward ratio to me is too great.

Edit: I've also done some research in to the particular company, as well as their holding LLC company and didn't find any issues in the past 3 years that they have been opened (but also didn't find a lot of reviews or feedback).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:00:51 AM by ostornadoe1 »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
I'm also pretty surprised with how much trust folks are putting into this Tradeline company.  What recourse do you really have if they sell your data, or use your credit themselves (or hire a "rogue employee")?  They could simply say that they were hacked, declare bankrupcy, form a shell company, etc.  Just my outsider opinion, I have no skin in this game, but I hope folks can keep their senses and know when to pull their winnings off the table.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:55:19 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: September 23, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »
Fuuuuck.

I set this up, got two orders (Barclay card) and was feeling good about it.  Now I'm freaked out again.

Did you add their address to your account? I sure as hell didn't.

Primary should be required to add an address.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #448 on: September 23, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »
I'm also pretty surprised with how much trust folks are putting into this Tradeline company.  What recourse do you really have if they sell your data, or use your credit themselves (or hire a "rogue employee")?  They could simply say that they were hacked, declare bankrupcy, form a shell company, etc.  Just my outsider opinion, I have no skin in this game, but I hope folks can keep their senses and know when to pull their winnings off the table.

Well, the Tradeline company has some of my personal information, like dozens of other companies do.

They have the age, credit line and brand of credit card. They don't have the CC number, expiration date or CVV code.

They have the account number to direct deposit funds into my account at a different credit union from where I do the rest of my banking. The balance in that account is <$100, and I intend to keep it that way by withdrawing deposits.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #449 on: September 23, 2016, 01:34:53 PM »

what risk do you think we as the card holders are taking on here that a rogue employee could use or sell data with.  our information on a w9?  b/c they have no other information about our credit cards.  other than bank and limit.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!