Author Topic: Eliminated one of our biggest three expenses.  (Read 4447 times)

MM_MG

• Stubble
Eliminated one of our biggest three expenses.
« on: June 30, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »
Finally decided to cut the private school expense.  That'll give us an extra $25K annually to put to work. 

mspym

• Pencil Stache
Re: Eliminated one of our biggest three expenses.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 04:01:04 PM »
Finally decided to cut the private school expense.  That'll give us an extra $25K annually to put to work.

That is great. Well done on taking the leap!

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
Congrats!

That's a darn big chunk of change to free up!   

flower_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 02:12:23 AM »
Nice work!

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
I never understood the paying for private school thing. If you pay taxes in a school system (and not personalty referring to op) but its not good enough for your kids then why live there. We live in one of the best school systems in the state and it blows my mind after the taxes people pay to live in this school district they still send them to a private school. In more cases then not I think its more a status thing than anything. And even in an average school if your not active in your kids life and the school/community then its not going to matter much anyhow for most kids.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 05:50:30 AM »
I never understood the paying for private school thing. If you pay taxes in a school system (and not personalty referring to op) but its not good enough for your kids then why live there. We live in one of the best school systems in the state and it blows my mind after the taxes people pay to live in this school district they still send them to a private school. In more cases then not I think its more a status thing than anything. And even in an average school if your not active in your kids life and the school/community then its not going to matter much anyhow for most kids.

It's essentially a class thing... so many assumptions made about socio-economic status, ability, discipline, opportunity, networking etc etc. Funny thing is it becomes a self fulfilling feedback-loop. If enough parents make the leap then the stratification of the school systems gets entrenched.

Quite a stark phenomenon here. State selective and/or Private > Independent or Catholic > the rest go public.

I consider myself a rational person, but I will be paying extra for my future children not to go to a public school.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 05:57:58 AM »

I have a family member who goes to private school because of the merciless bullying he was receiving in the public schools. His siblings still attend public school.

Bird In Hand

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »

There are countless reasons to live somewhere that have nothing to do with the quality of the public schools in that area.  Job requirements, proximity to family, caring for an elder parent, real estate conditions, quality of life, etc.

Or maybe you live somewhere with decent schools that become lousy schools by the time your kids are ready to attend, and various economic or personal factors make it difficult to move to a different school district.

Or maybe you live in a city and send your kids to a great school.  But then with the stroke of a pen, the school board redrew the school lines and now your kids have an hour long bus ride to a crappy school on the other side of town.

Or maybe you strongly value a particular method of education which works well for your kid, and that method is not generally used at public schools.

Or maybe your kid was floundering, not challenged, or bullied in your local public school, and then flourished when you tried the private school out of desperation.

Personally, due to a combination of some of the above factors, I'm happy to pay for private school for our kids.  I won't speak for anyone else, but in our case it has nothing to do with status whatsoever.

Bird In Hand

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
Regardless of whether private school is a good choice for some and not for others, I wanted to congratulate OP on cutting out a huge expense that OP deemed not necessary.  I know for us, private school is our single biggest budget item by a hefty margin (not counting retirement contributions or other optional investments).  We are definitely looking forward to the huge improvement in cash flow once our kids graduate out of private school.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 09:51:42 PM »
Congrats to OP! I hope it works out well for your kid(s).

As a kid I had a miserable experience in private school and eventually flourished in public school. That, as well as the $ aspect, make me want to send me kids to public. We also have a big goal of having them in a immersion language program (one of two non-English languages we speak with the kiddos). Thankfully a local public offers one of the two, so that is the plan. It would really bum me out to pay for private, but the language education would be enough to convince me to fork over the dough if it came to that.

Fingers crossed that it does not.

mspym

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 02:02:44 AM »
Regardless of whether private school is a good choice for some and not for others, I wanted to congratulate OP on cutting out a huge expense that OP deemed not necessary.  I know for us, private school is our single biggest budget item by a hefty margin (not counting retirement contributions or other optional investments).  We are definitely looking forward to the huge improvement in cash flow once our kids graduate out of private school.

Our boys went to a private primary school because Montessori isn't available in public schools here, but are absolutely blooming in their public high school and the difference to our cash flow/ability to invest is *amazing*. It is so good to be out from that expense.

AM43

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 10:37:23 AM »
My kids are in public schools and I would never consider paying for private schools.
We live in nice neighborhood with nice houses and very high taxes, but schools are only average and yet my older one is a high honers student, doing very well, taking advance classes etc.
One thing we do is stay on top of their home work, class assignments, spend extra time teaching, showing, explaining etc.
What I am trying to say is that public schools are just fine and this notion that private schools do better jobs educating is overblown idea.
Shelling out 25K on top of property taxes that pay for child schooling is just mind blowing to me.
Great job OP recognizing that and doing something about it.

rctid lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 10:51:03 AM »
Good for you! Besides being Mustachian, when parents with resources like you attend and support public schools, it helps the outcomes for ALL of our kids.

SavinMaven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 06:13:47 AM »
I never understood the paying for private school thing. If you pay taxes in a school system (and not personalty referring to op) but its not good enough for your kids then why live there.

Assuming you're actually curious, and willing to listen to the answer (from just one person, surely reasons vary)...

Our backyard literally touches the great public elementary school to which our kids are districted. We wanted to live in an area with great schools because a) great schools are usually tied to other elements of "a great life" (cultural opportunities, large lots, low crime, etc.) and b) it helps our investment in our house retain value over time, and be desirable to others, should we choose to sell.

Meanwhile, our religion is the #1 priority in our lives. Your mileage may vary; our view is that our faith is an 'operating system' that is a way (not saying it's the only way) to help our kids grow up to be compassionate people who feel part of something bigger and know they have a crucial purpose in being on this earth, no matter what life throws at them.

Before they can go participate respectfully in a pluralistic society, we believe they first need a deep grounding in who they are and in who we are. By attending a religious school - that also happens to top even our excellent local public school academically - we feel we can give them both: strong brains, and a strong soul. Therefore, we gladly pay private school tuition, to know both are being strengthened each day.

Obviously, spiritual support and education isn't available in our local public school, and I agree it should not be. So, we pay to have what we think is the best of both worlds.