Author Topic: Say it with me--I am not my countertops  (Read 20757 times)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Say it with me--I am not my countertops
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2018, 12:07:44 PM »
that looks good!

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
Thanks partgypsy!!!

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »
Wow, nice work!  You are badass doing the countertops!

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2018, 08:48:15 AM »
Aww thanks rosarugosa!  It feels really good and makes me proud to diy and save money!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2018, 09:59:52 AM »
We just bought a new place and I thought for a second about quartz or granite before the giant price tag slapped some sense into me.  We ended up going with oak butcher block -- having it installed today.  It cost us $179 per 8-foot long block and we needed two of these to cover all our counters.  Add in the installation fee and it's about $600 for the whole kitchen.  Plus once I slap some polyurethane on it, it will take on this lovely golden-tone.  I've always loved the look of wood, so this is my dream counter.  We'll even have enough butcher block left over to make a large cutting board.

I did an update on my kitchen a couple of years ago, and went with a high end laminate that I like, but kind of wish I had gone with a softer gray colour. It is black with white veins running through it. I bet the butcher block is beautiful.

And I will not be installing a barn door on my pantry, with chalkboard paint, declaring "live, love, eat. "

Lol. It cracks me No-one needs to remind me to eat. Maybe I should put a SLEEP sign in my bedroom. That would be more helpful.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2018, 10:04:55 AM »
I like to say, "if people notice your countertops the food isn't good enough".

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2018, 01:10:53 PM »
I can talk at length now about kitchen countertops. Watch me!

We are just finishing up a $7,500 face lift of our kitchen, swapping in a new stove, new quartz countertops, tile backsplash, repainting all cabinets. Dh is installing the tile so that is not very expensive. The lions share was $5,300 for quartz countertop. I chose plain jane grey, it looks like a shiney cement. It is very utilitarian looking.

While we can easily afford anything,  I went round and round about material. I really love granite, that is, many of them. I dont like the type I call “polka dot” which doesnt have a sweeping rhythmic movement althpugh I DO like the tiny grain granite, the kind that usually is black and sparkles like glitter. Ultimately I love the look and idea of solid stone and the quartz I ended up with kind of skeeves me out if I think about it because it is manmade and it is too much like cultured marble, remember that chit? So, I do not allow myself to,think of it that way. I pretend my countop is slate, or sometimes cement.

Surprisingly, our savvy sales guy showed me a granite in my grey/cream color range that was very pretty,cheaper than the quartz by a decent amount, and it also had fair sweeps of veining. It was not polka dot, it was more circley.

But in the end I did not want that distracting swirly granite, I wanted peaceful, quiet plainness. Having had grey formica for 25 years, grey quartz seemed comfortable. Somewhere in there I considered the quartz that everyone is getting, the one that mimcs marble and decided against it as too busy and trendy.

Then I saw a slab of “quartzite” which is solid stone, and loved that. loved it! Gorgeous! But could not bring myself to spend that much, around $11,000 especially since that meant fussing for another several hours over pattern layoit.

I think that is what ultimately made my decision about this plain jane quartz—there was no pattern to match  up or track. I have limited patience for shopping for certain things and by the time I had spent half a day on countertops, I was done!

I did look at recycled glass online but that was a very modern look, and our kitchen is Victorian.

Tl;dr I love granite the material! I got quartz because it was simpler. Oth in look and process. What I really wanted was cherry wood countertops but DH would not hear of that.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:16:02 PM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
One thing that is cool about our obsessive focus on kitchen finishes is that when we install a new kitchen in our weekend house next year  I will be “up” on tile and countertop material.

Right now I am planning a yellow and red kitchen there and I think I will have red formica countertops. Our weekend house is in a tiny tourist town, and granite is not a requirement in that real estate market.

What do ya’ll think of Red countertops?!! Like from the 50’s doncha know.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2018, 03:10:24 PM »
Is it just me, or has this thread about not being your countertops been chock full of examples of people spending thousands on countertops but then justifying it because they didn't spend thousands more than the thousands they spent?  I think your post is counter what you meant it to be.

"Updated" your kitchen?  That is a marketing idea. You might need to repair broken things in your kitchen, but it doesn't need updated.

If you sold your house after spending this money and made a real profit off of your improvements to your kitchen, then I guess you can brag on here. 

Let's call changing out functional household items for more expensive household items what it is... spendypants spending.  Which you are free to do.  But saying you only spent $10k instead of $25k on something that didn't need replaced in the first place isn't really a mustachian move.

If I made a post about 'updating' my car, or just really wanting to different color car so I bought a newer one, I'd get face punched off this forum.

On the other hand, I'm happy that some of you managed to spend less money than you could have when you decided to change your kitchens so you'd like them better.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »
Well, my guy who is helping me, did granite countertops in his kitchen, and the material only cost 450. He thinks I can get new granite for either 450 or 600. Its cheaper bc it's 3/4 inch versus being a thicker slab, and is dependent in their stock. I'm going to check out place tomorrow. Decided to move stove to outside wall, so can have range hood that vents outside. Exciting! I'm still going to try to reuse existing cabinetry. It's not the best, but still has some life. I did a calculator a cliq studios, and if I replaced them the cost would be 5-6k. Too much.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2018, 07:25:39 AM »
Is it just me, or has this thread about not being your countertops been chock full of examples of people spending thousands on countertops but then justifying it because they didn't spend thousands more than the thousands they spent?  I think your post is counter what you meant it to be.

"Updated" your kitchen?  That is a marketing idea. You might need to repair broken things in your kitchen, but it doesn't need updated.

If you sold your house after spending this money and made a real profit off of your improvements to your kitchen, then I guess you can brag on here. 

Let's call changing out functional household items for more expensive household items what it is... spendypants spending.  Which you are free to do.  But saying you only spent $10k instead of $25k on something that didn't need replaced in the first place isn't really a mustachian move.

If I made a post about 'updating' my car, or just really wanting to different color car so I bought a newer one, I'd get face punched off this forum.

On the other hand, I'm happy that some of you managed to spend less money than you could have when you decided to change your kitchens so you'd like them better.

If you are adressing me, YASS Baby!!! My spending was spendypants indeed. I am heading for Die Broke country which is my goal.

It actually bugs me a lot that quartz, a manmade materiat is so freekin expensive.Granite costs I can understand because it is natural as well as beautiful, most of them anyway.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2018, 07:29:06 AM »
I am definitely my countertops.
For 15 years I was 70s-style, gold, formica laminate. Cheap, adequate.
Now I am partly warm butcher-block wood (the counters proper) and partly polished granite (like the kitchen island).
It's fun to be shiny, durable, with fascinating details created thousands of years ago in the fires of tectonic  . . . something.

Glad to have waited until the stash accumulated to burst out of the formica cocoon, though.

I adore granite because I am a bit of a geology nerd (cooking/eating on an ancient rock that was created inside a volcano, yes please), and it's very pretty. My apartment has granite, and I'll miss it when I move if the new place doesn't have it. That said, there are a lot of very ugly/boring granites out there.

Like first post, I lived with dingy formica for 25 years until our stash was complete.

I do miss the idea of standing over a handsome granite counter, obsessing about the swirls and veins and patterns. I know I would, haved loved that. It was that just, for me, the overall busyness of the granites i loved overwhelmed the overall look of the kitchen.

Maybe I will get a really pretty granite cutting board. Hmmmm.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:31:07 AM by iris lily »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »
I like butcher block, but I know the area that will be added on, will surround the oven (either start to the left of stove and then jog 90 degrees along the wall, or existing countertop, stove, new countertop, then stove. I know the 2nd would look weird. The first I'm not sure of butcher block being next to a stove.

I’ve got butcher block next to the stove. It’s fine.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »

Well, my kitchen was built in 1960, and it wasn’t the deluxe version even then. So, indeed, many things were actually falling apart, plus everything was in the wrong darned place.

I cooked in the old kitchen for 20 years, so indeed I didn’t “need” a new one, but I’m getting a lot more enjoyment out of my kitchen than I would any amount of travel. YMMV

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »
Indeed, we each one of use gets to choose priorities.  I haven't spent money traveling in the past 11 years, but I have cooked 365 days /year in my kitchen that whole time.  I believe if I spent $3000 updating the floor-tile countertops, 1/2 grout joints, with sonething easier to clean, that I would spend zero time regretting it. The only reason I'm hesitant to spend $6000 updating it is that I'm not sure how long we'll stay here in this house. If it's 4 years, I may be sorry I went with more expensive reno, if we're here another 11, then I'll regret I didn't get exactly what I wanted.

Always, always amazes me how travel can be a five digit budget item and not get a second glance but a countertop redo for the same cost is untenable. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
W put in Corian about 20 years ago, before granite was a thing. We still love it and it looks as good as new, but I never hear about it any more.

When we did countertops a while back (Formica falling apart was the motivator) Corian was more expensive than granite.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2018, 08:10:32 AM »
Just to get people's feedback. The redone kitchen will have about 33-34 square feet counterspace. The quotes were 1500 or so for the less expensive granite, and 1800 or so for the more expensive granite (that I kind of like better). it's essentially 35 or 45/square feet, but with some expenses like taxes, sink cut out added, and 5% taken off. Would you pay an extra $400, to get the "style" of granite you prefer, even though both are nice?
Is that insane? anything that is not formica that is less than that per square feet, with installation included?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:53:23 AM by partgypsy »

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
I would pay a little extra for the one I liked better.  Your price sounds reasonable, not bad at all.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
To me I'm stressing about the money. But- the redone kitchen will have 1 1/2 times the counter space as well as new dishwasher (the reason I'm doing the renovation!), new stove, new microwave/vent. It will cost around $4500, plus work from me. It's a lot, especially for myself this year.

I'm 95% sure I'm going to stay and pay it off which means I'm doing this for selfish reasons (make my life easier; kids can help with dishwashing or at least loading, unloading dishwasher, also enough space more than 1 person can be in there at one time so kids can help with food prep).  The plan is to rent it out 1 or 2 times a year due to it's proximity to local university; for this alone a "nicer" kitchen makes sense.   

This does make me even more motivated to think where I can cuts costs elsewhere.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2018, 10:35:52 AM »
Just to get people's feedback. The redone kitchen will have about 33-34 square feet. The quotes were 1500 or so for the less expensive granite, and 1800 or so for the more expensive granite (that I kind of like better). it's essentially 35 or 45/square feet, but with some expenses like taxes, sink cut out added, and 5% taken off. Would you pay an extra $400, to get the "style" of granite you prefer, even though both are nice?
Is that insane? anything that is not formica that is less than that per square feet, with installation included?
Yes. DH and I house hunt a LOT. When we see the cheap (and not very attractive) granite, we take it as proof that shortcuts were taken anywhere and everywhere possible. Seriously, you look at your countertops a zillion times a day. They last forever*. Make working your kitchen a pleasant experience (within reason) and you'll use it more, which is a good thing.

*Especially compared to almost anything electronic, such as a cell phone or laptop.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »
Yes. DH and I house hunt a LOT. When we see the cheap (and not very attractive) granite, we take it as proof that shortcuts were taken anywhere and everywhere possible.

OMG, now I'm wondering if we got the cheap granite. I mean, it certainly wasn't inexpensive, and it looks very nice TO ME, but damn, I didn't even know there was a cheap granite!!!  Did I get it?  Please describe what you're talking about! I have to know!

(Okay, I admit that the text above could be read very sarcastically, but that's not my intent. I genuinely want to know what this "cheap granite" looks like.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »
Yes. DH and I house hunt a LOT. When we see the cheap (and not very attractive) granite, we take it as proof that shortcuts were taken anywhere and everywhere possible.

OMG, now I'm wondering if we got the cheap granite. I mean, it certainly wasn't inexpensive, and it looks very nice TO ME, but damn, I didn't even know there was a cheap granite!!!  Did I get it?  Please describe what you're talking about! I have to know!

(Okay, I admit that the text above could be read very sarcastically, but that's not my intent. I genuinely want to know what this "cheap granite" looks like.)
Ha! I could hedge and say I know it when I see it. Truth is, I have a packed schedule today and my lazy ass is still in bed. If no one's beaten me to it, I'll dig up some pictures at my next opportunity.  Gotta mosey, lots of volunteer work needs to happen today.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2018, 11:27:24 AM »
Ha! I could hedge and say I know it when I see it.

I kind of thought that might turn out to be one aspect of it. I hated the granite in my sister's previous house, but hey, it was granite, and aren't we supposed to love all granite? ;)  (Plus she picked it out, so there was that...)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »
Well, for one granite that is cut thinner, 2 cm versus 3 cm. Pure black is actually inexpensive (it is actually not granite but a related stone gabbro). Spring green or butterfly green (black with green background),  It seems that ones that are kind of splotchy often are in the lower tier golden garnet (I actually like this one), pebble beach, some of the giallo -- names.

http://www.simplyadditions.com/Kitchens/Top-Five-Beautiful-But-Inexpensive-Granite-Countertop-Choices.html

Unfortunately almost all the very white granite seem to be more expensive (it also supposedly stains easier too). Soapstone is more expensive than granite.

This may or may not be relevant, but mineralogically speaking, not all granites are "granite". They also vary in hardness and porosity. https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2016/06/05/granite-colors-white-black-countertops/#7f0cb9b67b98
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:08:50 PM by partgypsy »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
You can get granite pretty cheap now days which we did 6 years ago when we remodeled our house. I have lived with Formica for years  and it sucks. If anyone cuts on it without a cutting board it looks crappy.  I also love being able to put hot pans right on my granite.   That glass also looks amazing but it either wasn't available 6 years ago or I didn't know about it.  I see countertops as the thing that if you do it well you have it for 30 years.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
You can get granite pretty cheap now days which we did 6 years ago when we remodeled our house. I have lived with Formica for years  and it sucks. If anyone cuts on it without a cutting board it looks crappy. I also love being able to put hot pans right on my granite.   That glass also looks amazing but it either wasn't available 6 years ago or I didn't know about it.  I see countertops as the thing that if you do it well you have it for 30 years.

Wait what!? People do that!?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
The usual suspects are men:))

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2018, 07:30:55 PM »
I like our faux granite countertops and stainless appliances.

Now, why someone would get real granite vs the "fake" granite that looks the same but is better in all ways? (shrug)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2018, 06:06:53 AM »
What kind of faux granite, formica or quartz? Formica is definitely cheaper, but you can make cuts on it. I think quartz is my number one choice (have it in the bathroom) but it's not any less expensive than granite and oftentimes more expensive.   

I'm also considering solid surface. That's what I currently have in the kitchen and to tell the truth of everything in our kitchen (floor, appliances, sink, cabinets) it has worn the best. It's 19 years old and with casual inspection it looks new. You can look really close, and see nicks and cuts, but since it is matt and not shiny, it's not noticeable. And I hear with a regular sander you can sand all that out and make it look new again. It's basically plastic.

Haven't made final decision. Most likely granite or a solid surface at HD if it is still on sale when cabinets come in. Still waiting on cabinets! I bought an undermount sink so it restricts my countertop choices (no formica, no granite that I need to install myself.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2018, 06:48:44 AM »
What kind of faux granite, formica or quartz? Formica is definitely cheaper, but you can make cuts on it. I think quartz is my number one choice (have it in the bathroom) but it's not any less expensive than granite and oftentimes more expensive.   

I'm also considering solid surface. That's what I currently have in the kitchen and to tell the truth of everything in our kitchen (floor, appliances, sink, cabinets) it has worn the best. It's 19 years old and with casual inspection it looks new. You can look really close, and see nicks and cuts, but since it is matt and not shiny, it's not noticeable. And I hear with a regular sander you can sand all that out and make it look new again. It's basically plastic.

Haven't made final decision. Most likely granite or a solid surface at HD if it is still on sale when cabinets come in. Still waiting on cabinets! I bought an undermount sink so it restricts my countertop choices (no formica, no granite that I need to install myself.

I'm actually not sure. Our house had them when we bought it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!