Author Topic: Saving 30-50% on Groceries! So excited!!  (Read 12518 times)

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Saving 30-50% on Groceries! So excited!!
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »
I'm so excited to share what I learned this week! Maybe some of you already do this, but it was a new idea for me: Price Matching at Walmart

I found out about the technique on this blog: http://funcheaporfree.com/how-i-grocery-shop/
Let me just say these Mormon girls have got the whole food budgeting thing down.

Basically you can just buy groceries at Walmart--anything that's advertised at a lower price elsewhere--and they will match that price, and you don't even need the ad in hand. This is so much better than couponing to me, because I steer away from processed food anyway. This way you can save on produce, meat, staples, etc.

What makes it REALLY easy, is the website she suggests, which I joined, http://dealstomeals.com. The website compares all the local ads for the week from other stores to Walmart prices and highlights the items that are cheaper to price match than what you could normally buy at Walmart, Costco, or Sams Club.

So, I went last night and tried it out. I printed out my list from Deals to Meals, and found all the produce, meat, etc that I had highlighted to buy, and it was so easy! The checkout girl I got was actually really nice about it and didn't make me feel weird, which I had feared. I saved $30 and 33% on the stuff I price matched! And it's not just crap food--we're talking avocados, tomatoes, baby back ribs, steak, peppers, ice cream, cottage cheese, etc etc. I spent $57ish instead of $87ish (what it should have been at regular Walmart prices, which are already lower than my other grocery store).

You guys should try it if you are so inclined! I'm so excited about this new way to shop, and I know I can do even better in the future, because the blogger says she usually saves more like 50%. So worth it!!! Badassity! It was like walking into the grocery store with a special coupon just for you--just because you're a badass.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:39:12 PM by angelagrace »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Saving 30-50% on Groceries! So excited!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »
Niceee!! I'll definitely try it...

I do go to Walmart and SDM always on the lookout for deals ... 5 weeks ago I went there and brought total probably 17 lbs of meat and fish and paid like 45 dollars ... I went only for the deals where they were liquidating inventory ...

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »
I don't agree with her method though for shopping ... Such as always have a list or plan meals ahead and but what's in sale.

I never plan my meals. I buy what's in sale and then I create my meals around what I have. I can be pretty creative ... :)

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »
How does price matching work if they don't have the exact thing?  Like my local chain grocer had their store brand of cheese on sale last week - obviously Wal-mart doesn't carry their brand of cheese.  If it were Kraft, then ok, but the store brand goes on sale for cheaper than Kraft goes on sale.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »
How does price matching work if they don't have the exact thing?  Like my local chain grocer had their store brand of cheese on sale last week - obviously Wal-mart doesn't carry their brand of cheese.  If it were Kraft, then ok, but the store brand goes on sale for cheaper than Kraft goes on sale.

They will match store brand to store brand, so if it's Kroger brand cheese on sale, you can just match it to Walmart brand cheese. You just have to get the same size.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 05:25:27 PM »
I don't agree with her method though for shopping ... Such as always have a list or plan meals ahead and but what's in sale.

I never plan my meals. I buy what's in sale and then I create my meals around what I have. I can be pretty creative ... :)

Yeah I haven't quite figured out the meal planning thing yet, besides maybe jotting down a few ideas for the week. I mostly just make it up with what I have too! To each his own!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:08:51 AM »

I do this all the time.  Most of the checkers don't give a rip.  You just tell them the price to match and they move on.   I asked one of the Walmart checkers what the rule was and she said (at least at our store)  that they don't even ask if it is less than a 50% mark down.   

They had a deal hear recently where the computer was supposed to automatically match all area stores but I don't think that works very well.   Walmart rocks -- thanks for reminding me why it is the worlds largest retailer.   

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 09:38:26 AM »
I never realized they price matched food items.  I may have to start shopping there.  Thanks for the heads up.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »
I won't step foot in walmart for any amount of savings.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:13 AM »
It could be giving food away and I still wouldn't set a foot inside an outpost of the Evil Empire.

Note:  I realize that a lot of people don't have a choice but to shop at Walmart because nothing else is around.  I've been in that situation.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:54:38 AM by MandalayVA »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:00:48 AM »
What s so bad about Walmart?

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 10:07:09 AM »
How do they handle price matching when the other store's add says something like 10 for $10.  Do you HAVE to buy 10?  Or will they honor a price of $1 each (so long as the ad didn't specify that you had to buy 10).

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
What I've never understood about price matching is why I would shop at the store that has the higher prices in the first place. Then I'm paying higher prices for the items that are not in ads, and going through some hassle for the ad matching discount. In my experience, Walmart food prices are almost always more expensive than or the same as Kroger in my area. And for produce, both are more expensive than an independent store. I just never buy food at Walmart anymore.

I've found that car care items are cheaper at Walmart than the local auto parts store. I returned some items to the auto parts store after discovering this and buying duplicates at Walmart. The cashier said "well we match prices". So? Why would I shop at your more expensive store, and then go find the price at a competitor, and then come back to you and tell you what that price is? So much more effort than just supporting the business with the better prices in the first place.

What am I missing?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
What I've never understood about price matching is why I would shop at the store that has the higher prices in the first place. Then I'm paying higher prices for the items that are not in ads, and going through some hassle for the ad matching discount. In my experience, Walmart food prices are almost always more expensive than or the same as Kroger in my area. And for produce, both are more expensive than an independent store. I just never buy food at Walmart anymore.

I've found that car care items are cheaper at Walmart than the local auto parts store. I returned some items to the auto parts store after discovering this and buying duplicates at Walmart. The cashier said "well we match prices". So? Why would I shop at your more expensive store, and then go find the price at a competitor, and then come back to you and tell you what that price is? So much more effort than just supporting the business with the better prices in the first place.

What am I missing?

If your Kroger is generally cheaper than Walmart anyway then I don't think it would make a lot of sense. For me, of the three stores I go to, Walmart is generally the cheapest on meat and random grocery items (tortillas, baking stuff, cheese, etc.), and then Sprouts is usually cheapest on produce (esp. whatever's on sale that week) and then some things may be cheaper at Reasors (local chain) if they are on sale. Normally I grocery shop 2-3 times a week anyway so I will just pick where to go based on the best sales/on-sale items I most want to buy. But I guess it would save me time and maximize savings to just go to Walmart and then get the Sprouts and Reasors prices on items that are cheaper. At least that's how I'm interpreting this!

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »
How do they handle price matching when the other store's add says something like 10 for $10.  Do you HAVE to buy 10?  Or will they honor a price of $1 each (so long as the ad didn't specify that you had to buy 10).

My cashier just gave me the $1 each price in that situation. So I think that's fine 😊

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »

What am I missing?

If your Kroger is generally cheaper than Walmart anyway then I don't think it would make a lot of sense. For me, of the three stores I go to, Walmart is generally the cheapest on meat and random grocery items (tortillas, baking stuff, cheese, etc.), and then Sprouts is usually cheapest on produce (esp. whatever's on sale that week) and then some things may be cheaper at Reasors (local chain) if they are on sale. Normally I grocery shop 2-3 times a week anyway so I will just pick where to go based on the best sales/on-sale items I most want to buy. But I guess it would save me time and maximize savings to just go to Walmart and then get the Sprouts and Reasors prices on items that are cheaper. At least that's how I'm interpreting this!

Yes, the idea is to only have to go to one place but to get all the sales all around town. For me, Walmart is still usually the cheapest with their regular prices, but with the price matching website I referenced, she specifically flags items that are cheaper this week via price matching than normal Walmart or Costco prices also. (Dealstomeals.com)

And I do understand some walmarts are pretty terrible. I advise going on a weekday during the day if you can in those cases haha. Thankfully our local one isn't too bad. For me, saving this much though is totally worth a minor annoyance.

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
Flipp for android is what my wife uses.

There are also a number of coupon sites.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
Something else to keep in mind is that if you do like couponing, you can combine the price matching and the couponing and save even more if they overlap!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 11:02:39 AM »
A few things, one how they treat their employees and how they treat their suppliers.  Yes, you get savings, for cheap crap but that means employees and suppliers are screwed.  I'll save a little less and go to places who treat their employees better.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 11:09:39 AM »

Its "low low prices" come at the expense of their employees.  If it does anything nice or even human for its employees, it was because it was sued into doing so.  Many states have filed--and won--class action lawsuits over employees not being allowed full meal breaks and/or regular breaks.  It threatens employees who want to unionize.  Sexism against women is rampant.  Pay is extremely low and stores will deliberately keep employees from working full-time hours so they do not have to pay benefits (I realize this is not particular to Walmart but still).  With the billions of dollars it makes every year it should treat its employees much, MUCH better than it does.

Edited to add--I work for a very large transportation company.  As Gin1984 notes Walmart also treats their suppliers like garbage.  Walmart is notorious around here for having full trailers dropped at distribution centers, who won't open them for months to avoid paying my company, which is far from the only one who has to deal with stuff like this. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:13:31 AM by MandalayVA »

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
A few things, one how they treat their employees and how they treat their suppliers.  Yes, you get savings, for cheap crap but that means employees and suppliers are screwed.  I'll save a little less and go to places who treat their employees better.

I believe Target also price matches, so you could do it there, but I think I read that their policy is a little stricter. Have to have the ads on hand, etc. but might be worth it if you don't like Walmart.

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »
Flipp for android is what my wife uses.

There are also a number of coupon sites.

In Canada, my family has had good success with price matching by using the Reebee app to pull up a digital copy of local flyers on a weekly basis.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 08:58:19 PM »
I will not shop at Walmart for any reason.  Ask their employees what happened this year to their health insurance.   

newideas2013

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 09:21:15 PM »
Even if you hate Walmart you should see which other grocerers in your area price match. For me it's No Frills, Walmart, used to be Target (but they never stocked a full store of groceries in Canada) and I believe Save-on-Foods.

Price matching is awesome. Theres an iPhone app called 'Flipp' that I've been meaning to use. I do it old school with flyers but its a pain.

freeedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
This is awesome.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 03:34:18 PM »
Shopped again last night and saved 41%! Getting better and better!

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
I confess that I haven't read this entire thread, but don't forget about the Savings Catcher feature.  If you download the Walmart app (or go to the website), you can scan your receipt and it adjusts the prices automatically.  On the website, you manually enter the receipt number.

Of course, you have to wait for the price match to go through, and that takes a couple of days, but it's another option.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 03:46:38 PM »
I confess that I haven't read this entire thread, but don't forget about the Savings Catcher feature.  If you download the Walmart app (or go to the website), you can scan your receipt and it adjusts the prices automatically.  On the website, you manually enter the receipt number.

Of course, you have to wait for the price match to go through, and that takes a couple of days, but it's another option.

I use that as well, but I'm not sure that it would match store brand to store brand like they will do at checkout.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »

Seems like there's a lot of drawbacks and gotchas with the Savings Catcher...

http://www.pricematchwithrachel.com/walmart-savings-catcher--how-it-really-works-and-what-you-need-to-know.html

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »
Yes, that's why I wouldn't rely on it to find everything, but it is another approach.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »

What do you use it with? Can it only be the Great Value brand or do other brands also work?

How about meat for example? There is no Great value brand there only farm brands and such ... Can I use it too even though the same farm brand may not be what the competitor is selling?

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
BTW I downloaded the favado app and it's great. You choose all your local retailers and then it shows all the deals in topics.

Better yet it shows the price but also the best possible price available as in if you get coupons in inserts or online that are directly linked in the app.

The thing that I also like with the app is ... You get to pick the type of products you like and their categories and so it lists only those.

I pick only meat fish groceries fruit produce etc ..... I keep all processed food out ...

This along with the dealstomeals is a great combo

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 03:56:59 PM »

What do you use it with? Can it only be the Great Value brand or do other brands also work?

How about meat for example? There is no Great value brand there only farm brands and such ... Can I use it too even though the same farm brand may not be what the competitor is selling?

I recommend reading that blog post I linked to and also the WalMart price matching policy. You can match meat pound for pound most of the time. If a specific brand is given, I think you have to match that brand, like I matched Calidad brand tortilla chips. But generic chicken by the pound I also matches if that makes sense.