Author Topic: Saving $$ in the Bathroom  (Read 14721 times)

minimustache1985

• Stubble
Re: Saving $$ in the Bathroom
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2020, 10:49:18 AM »
snip.....

- I got laser treatment everywhere (yes everywhere) using Groupon packages and now have zero need to shave. EVER. It really is not as painful as people make it out to be.

- Stopped using Q Tips. Another 'manufactured' need. Turns out your ears clean themselves out naturally when you are chewing and talking.

- Stopped using deodorant. I know this is not possible for some people but in my case turns out I don't need it. Even SO never noticed.

- Went to reusable menstrual pads and it has been the best transition. Disposable rags feel like sandpaper now.

- Re-usable cotton rounds.

- Avocado oil to wipe sunscreen off. Rest of the time water is fine. By the way, face wash is totally useless.

- Body wash contributes to unnecessary plastic waste when you can just use soap. I use soap from the dollar store. I don't shower every day so it lasts.

Haven't given up shampoo/conditioner yet but giving that a shot at some point. In the meantime get from Costco and wash once or twice a week. Best to buy large containers instead of bunch of small ones to minimize plastic waste.

Whoa @frugs I'm interested in lots of these!

* laser treatment and never shaving again -- that's living the dream! Have you found that you need to go back for touch ups? I'm afraid of spending the $$ to have it "done" and then always needing to go back again.

* deodorant ummm -- don't think I'm brave enough for that.

* reusable menstrual pads -- got any recommendations? Never thought of this, but if diapers can be reusable, why not?? I tried the menstrual cup thing but wasn't a fan.

* shampoo/conditioner wash once or twice a week -- how is everyone here washing 1/2/3x a week??? if I go even one day without washing, by the end of the day hair looks really greasy. do you wear a shower cap? do you shower normally and just not wash your hair? Air dry or blow dry? I know it can't be healthy to strip my hair all the time but I can't figure out how to stop.
I’ll second the interest in laser treatment!  I’d considered it in my 20’s and never pulled the trigger, but if it really lasts I’d like to at least do my armpits since those need the highest frequency.

In terms of washing hair less often honestly it takes a little time for your head to adjust.  If your hair is used to being washed every day your scalp is overproducing oil to make up for that.  You’ll need to be a little greasier than you like for a period to get your head to stop doing that.  If you work M-F I’d start by not washing it for a weekend until Sunday night/Monday morning and from there do every other day or every 1.5 days alternating morning/evening showers until you can space to every 2.  I do think using nicer products helps too as the salon stuff doesn’t strip my hair the way drugstore brands do, but as I mentioned upthread the best grocery store stuff in that regard is Suave- which usually is the cheapest.

I skip showers altogether when not hairwashing unless I get real sweaty or something, in which case I throw it in a bun and do a body shower.

frugs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »
snip.....

- I got laser treatment everywhere (yes everywhere) using Groupon packages and now have zero need to shave. EVER. It really is not as painful as people make it out to be.

- Stopped using Q Tips. Another 'manufactured' need. Turns out your ears clean themselves out naturally when you are chewing and talking.

- Stopped using deodorant. I know this is not possible for some people but in my case turns out I don't need it. Even SO never noticed.

- Went to reusable menstrual pads and it has been the best transition. Disposable rags feel like sandpaper now.

- Avocado oil to wipe sunscreen off. Rest of the time water is fine. By the way, face wash is totally useless.

- Body wash contributes to unnecessary plastic waste when you can just use soap. I use soap from the dollar store. I don't shower every day so it lasts.

Haven't given up shampoo/conditioner yet but giving that a shot at some point. In the meantime get from Costco and wash once or twice a week. Best to buy large containers instead of bunch of small ones to minimize plastic waste.

* laser treatment and never shaving again -- that's living the dream! Have you found that you need to go back for touch ups? I'm afraid of spending the $$ to have it "done" and then always needing to go back again.

* reusable menstrual pads -- got any recommendations? Never thought of this, but if diapers can be reusable, why not?? I tried the menstrual cup thing but wasn't a fan.

* shampoo/conditioner wash once or twice a week -- how is everyone here washing 1/2/3x a week??? if I go even one day without washing, by the end of the day hair looks really greasy. do you wear a shower cap? do you shower normally and just not wash your hair? Air dry or blow dry? I know it can't be healthy to strip my hair all the time but I can't figure out how to stop.

@MrsBrightside Yes laser works. I went for 6-8 sessions on each area over a span of 3 years or so. They are never fully gone but they are so sparse, tiny and thin you really have to look closely. I pluck the odd hair here and there. Even if there are touch up sessions down the road it was worth it. I don't recommend paying for it outside of Groupon though, because without Groupon the price is much higher.

Here are the pads. I just wash them when I am in the shower:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/685334374/single-ladywear-quick-dry-cloth?ref=shop_home_active_24&crt=1

There are many other kinds on Etsy, I also saw some on Amazon and even Target but I have not tried them:

https://www.target.com/p/lunapads-performa-mini-regular-black-washable-pad-1ct/-/A-51078651
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:25:06 AM by frugs »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2020, 12:10:07 PM »
snip.....

@MrsBrightside Yes laser works. I went for 6-8 sessions on each area over a span of 3 years or so. They are never fully gone but they are so sparse, tiny and thin you really have to look closely. I pluck the odd hair here and there. Even if there are touch up sessions down the road it was worth it. I don't recommend paying for it outside of Groupon though, because without Groupon the price is much higher.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/685334374/single-ladywear-quick-dry-cloth?ref=shop_home_active_24&crt=1

There are many other kinds on Etsy, I also saw some on Amazon and even Target but I have not tried them:

https://www.target.com/p/lunapads-performa-mini-regular-black-washable-pad-1ct/-/A-51078651

I've had a set of Lunapads for years. They are wonderful and so easy. I soak mine in a mild solution of OxyClean and then toss them in the washer with other laundry. I still prefer tampons when I am out and about on heavier days, but I save so much money by using only a few tampons per month and Lunapads the rest of the time.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2020, 04:20:54 PM »
snip.....

I've had a set of Lunapads for years. They are wonderful and so easy. I soak mine in a mild solution of OxyClean and then toss them in the washer with other laundry. I still prefer tampons when I am out and about on heavier days, but I save so much money by using only a few tampons per month and Lunapads the rest of the time.

Tampon companies give away free samples like they're candy. Just go to their site and sign up. Every different email will get you a month of tampons and pads, and any other new products they have to try out. The other small hint is that the very cheapest of tampons in the supermarket is made by the same companies as the most expensive. They change the labelling but generally not the specifications text. Have a look and see.

SugarMagnolia77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2020, 04:45:52 PM »
My kids were going through hand soap like crazy so I started making my own foaming hand soap by diluting cheap shampoo until it was watery and putting in the empty foaming hand soap dispenser.

I know this comment is old, but you can also make foaming hand soap with dishwashing liquid, which is even cheaper than shampoo! We buy the big jug of dish liquid from Costco and the foaming hand soap bottles that are supposedly disposable last at least a year. In my totally unscientific research, Method foaming pumps fail more quickly than others. :)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2020, 06:47:51 AM »
snip.....

Tampon companies give away free samples like they're candy. Just go to their site and sign up. Every different email will get you a month of tampons and pads, and any other new products they have to try out. The other small hint is that the very cheapest of tampons in the supermarket is made by the same companies as the most expensive. They change the labelling but generally not the specifications text. Have a look and see.

Thanks. I already buy the store-brand if available and prefer the paper-wrapped ones in cardboard over throwing away more plastic. I'm comfortable with this spending.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2020, 05:21:04 AM »
I wish I used less stuff, bit the older I get the more I seem to use. Partially because my skin is very sensitive, partially because I am vain!

-special "free and clear" shampoo and conditioner
-lotion
-dry shampoo to try to stretch out shampoos to help the scalp.issue
-bar body soap (could use the shampoo but it is $$$)
-face wash (dramatically helps my acne sadly. I used to use a washcloth with hot water)
-acne medicine
-daily sunscreen for my face
-i go through a razor about once a year as I only shave my pits once a week or so
-i feel like I'm missing a bunch

I have been thinking about switching to bar shampoo and conditioner, if anyone has recommendations that might work for sensitive skin (excema). But I don't know if my autistic kiddo could deal with those so we'd probably continue to buy regular shampoo too.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2020, 05:58:07 AM »
For what it’s worth, I like the CVS branded maxi pads and they work just as well as the big name brands.  I am not inclined to purchase reusable menstrual products that I would have to fuss with.  I have purchased the Amazon brand of maxi pads and was not impressed as all the pads had weird folds that made them not fit smoothly.