Author Topic: Saving $$ in the Bathroom  (Read 14716 times)

msinvestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Saving $$ in the Bathroom
« on: July 03, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »
Bathroom/beauty products used to be $100 trips to CVS/Walgreens, a "black hole" of spending, and always feeling like there was so much junk in the shower/cupboards. We started tracking what we used day-to-day, what was used once and abandoned, what was never touched etc. Turns out, what was actually used on the regular was a very short list. Even better, we end up using the "cheap" shampoo (Suave) more regularly than the expensive goop. Perhaps it's the same "china only for the guests" mentality?

What we use:
  • Razors
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Body wash/scrub
  • Shaving cream (unisex)
  • Face oil
  • Body lotion

Looks like those old trips to the drug store are going to be few and far between....savings, here we come!

What do you all use in the bathroom regularly, and where have you cut costs?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Saving $$ in the Bathroom
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »
Huh.  That still seems like a lot of bathroom stuff.  What I use:

- Razors ($0.12 each for DE safety razors)
- Soap (whatever is cheap and can be purchased in bulk)
- Shaving cream (whatever is cheap)
- Toothbrush (usually can get for free from the dentist)
- Toothpaste (whatever is cheapest)

Big savings came from realizing that shampoo/conditioner are a scam and you'll get along completely fine without them.  I've never used body lotion or face oil, whatever those things are.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:17:26 AM »
Has been said on other threads here, but a lot of people use hair conditioner for shaving.  I’ve been doing so for my face and I actually like it better than shaving cream.  Probably doesn’t save a ton of money but it’s one less thing to buy.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 02:20:34 PM »
We use
-soap (cheap bar soap)
-shampoo and conditioner (Suave or VO5, 99 cents a bottle, 79 if it's on sale)
-razors (whatever brand is on sale/has coupons)
-lotion (generic knockoffs of lubriderm or eucerin fro dry skin)

That's it. We shave with water and sometimes soap.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 09:49:16 PM »
Has been said on other threads here, but a lot of people use hair conditioner for shaving.  I’ve been doing so for my face and I actually like it better than shaving cream.  Probably doesn’t save a ton of money but it’s one less thing to buy.

Did it today and it was a very good shave.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 05:58:22 AM »
I use:

• glycerin soap as both shampoo and soap.  It is gentle and does not dry your skin.
  • toothbrush
  • toothpaste
  • flouride rinse (no flouride in my water and I have periodontal issues)
  • dental floss
  • interdental brushes (for periodontal issues)
  • cocoanut oil as a skin moisturizer - this is a very cheap option

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 08:37:44 PM »
I've followed the lead of my millennial kids and stopped using bar soap.  I get the big 40 oz  Neutrogena body wash from Costco. It's my everyday soap and I use it for shaving my legs too. Once a week I do a deep scrub head to toe, I love what it does for my skin.   

Virtually no soap scum is left in my shower which is awesome, it's all white tiles and oversized at 5x5 ft. I probably scub it every couple months now and it looks great all the time.  Yet I still grab the soaps from hotels....

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 03:40:59 AM »
For me it’s shampoo, body wash, face wash & a razor very few days.  I keep my hair short and sometimes use face wash on my whole head.  I need a good toothpaste and a giant bottle of Listerine will last me months.  I think ways to save are to buy the biggest bottles so you’re paying less per ounce, and then using digital grocery store coupons for razors and such.  I don’t shave often enough to need a subscription service thanks to aging lady hormones!  Also, Scott toilet paper seems the best to me.  You get a large amount on a roll and even though it’s one ply it doesn’t tear or molt when used.  I get the biggest size that will fit under the sink.  I buy most of my bathroom supplies through Amazon but will also pick up at the grocery. 

Bathroom/beauty products used to be $100 trips to CVS/Walgreens, a "black hole" of spending, and always feeling like there was so much junk in the shower/cupboards. We started tracking what we used day-to-day, what was used once and abandoned, what was never touched etc. Turns out, what was actually used on the regular was a very short list. Even better, we end up using the "cheap" shampoo (Suave) more regularly than the expensive goop. Perhaps it's the same "china only for the guests" mentality?

What we use:
  • Razors
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Body wash/scrub
  • Shaving cream (unisex)
  • Face oil
  • Body lotion

Looks like those old trips to the drug store are going to be few and far between....savings, here we come!

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 01:31:34 PM »
I've been using up my stuff since I found MMM last October.  Used to have subscription boxes--usually two boxes of large samples or full size products would come in th email for me to try (what was I thinking?!).  And I watched tons of youtube nail, beauty, makeup, anti-aging videos.  I'd often buy the product before the video was even over.  You could sell me anything.  Then I found MMM, cancled subscriptions and unsubscribed to many channels.  I would shop at drug store only, however, I haven't bought anything in months b/c I still have so much.  The only thing I've bought recently is toothpaste.  I've still got like 6 face products to use.  I'm almost done with my chanel foundation and lancome mascara and will be switching to one of the many still unopened in my basket.  I'm almost through with many many bottles of hair products.  I don't think I will ever need makeup again.  One thing of blush will last years.

Actually, I started buying face and hand soap, toothbrushes and paste, and a bunch of other stuff for my family at Aldi so I haven't been into CVS in months!  My roots are two inches long.  Will be taking care of that soon.  Someday when I have to refull some product it's store brand only knock-offs for me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:35:32 PM by DeniseNJ »

ATR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 01:58:43 PM »
similar with some additions:

castille soap
shampoo
conditioner
razors
face cream w/sunscreen
toothbrushes
toothpaste
deodorant

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 10:08:24 PM »
I use a double-edge safety razor, just like GuitarStv above. However, I do buy the shave soaps, which can be a little pricier, and it did take me time to find which razors worked best with my face. I bought a huge pack of razors for like $10 online years ago and still have not run out. The soaps are a bit of a luxury, but do still last quite a while. I also buy cheap shampoo.

Definitely, when I was much younger, I would get gouged by those gillette razors. Horrible, and inferior quality, too, compared to a good safety razor.

Face oil? Body lotion? Yeah, no. Maybe some moisturizer (my hands get cracked in the winter pretty badly). I'm experimenting with cheaper toothpastes. Also, I get the large refills for the little hand soap dispensers. Easily lasts me over a year, all for $4 or so.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 08:03:52 AM »
Face oil? Body lotion? Yeah, no. Maybe some moisturizer (my hands get cracked in the winter pretty badly). I'm experimenting with cheaper toothpastes. Also, I get the large refills for the little hand soap dispensers. Easily lasts me over a year, all for $4 or so.

My kids were going through hand soap like crazy so I started making my own foaming hand soap by diluting cheap shampoo until it was watery and putting in the empty foaming hand soap dispenser.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 08:39:24 AM »
My $40 bidet has saved me a shit ton (lol) on toilet paper over the last year since I've had it

Junco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 12:41:35 PM »
Just a quick tip, I found the cheapest place to buy most bathroom stuff is a dollar store (I go to Dollar Tree). I got 4 toothbrushes there for a dollar recently. Large toothpaste tubes, soaps, shampoos, etc, all just a dollar.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 12:44:06 PM »
I use way less toothpaste than I used to. I always shunned the plastic containers that stand upright because they were more expensive by volume and I assumed it would be impossible to get the last bit out. However after trying it out I realized they have a few benefits. They make it much easier to regulate how much I use (and you really need very little to get the job done) and they actually make it easier to get the last bit. As long as you store them with the opening down the toothpaste settles at the bottom and nothing gets left stuck to the inside of the bottle.

Combine these benefits with the cheap toothpaste in a tube by refilling the plastic bottle* and I'm down to about $1/year for toothpaste. And yes, I brush twice/day.

*full disclosure, I'm probably just going to buy a new bottle when the current one I've refilled several times runs out. Refilling isn't easy and if the more expensive stuff is even a tiny bit better it's worth going from $1/year to $4/year.

onward19

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 02:57:11 PM »
Yesterday I re-stocked body wash and shampoo, and realized that I can't even remember how long ago I bought them. We go through toothpaste and mouthwash consistently, but otherwise don't spend much. Razors, barbasol(2 cans/year), deodorant, body wash, shampoo, toothpaste, mouthwash, floss.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 10:51:23 PM »
madgeylou

Yep. Bides are the best investment - not only in TP savings - but in rear end comfort!

I think they should be mandatory on all new homes. I have never been to a decent home in Japan or Korea that doesn't have them installed. All three of my homes have them.

The other investment is an electric shaver. I buy the good Panasonics for $30 to $40 when the deals are on. They dry shave well for two years - then I turn them into wet shavers (they are waterproof) - and they work great with a dap of shaving cream. And then when they get really old I rotate them to the glove box so I can shave in an emergency. And oh, they have a trimmer on the back that works wonders on ear & nose hair as well as trimming hair on the edges a bit - extending the time between hair cuts a bit.

I travel a LOT and stay in super fancy hotels (FREE of course) - so have a big box of mini shampoos, soaps, etc.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 04:19:23 AM »
Just a quick tip, I found the cheapest place to buy most bathroom stuff is a dollar store (I go to Dollar Tree). I got 4 toothbrushes there for a dollar recently. Large toothpaste tubes, soaps, shampoos, etc, all just a dollar.

Second that... ! really tough to beat

Rubes33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »
I started wiping with my hand.  Been saving tons of money.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 04:24:20 PM »
I've been using up my stuff since I found MMM last October.  Used to have subscription boxes--usually two boxes of large samples or full size products would come in th email for me to try (what was I thinking?!).  And I watched tons of youtube nail, beauty, makeup, anti-aging videos.  I'd often buy the product before the video was even over.  You could sell me anything.  Then I found MMM, cancled subscriptions and unsubscribed to many channels.  I would shop at drug store only, however, I haven't bought anything in months b/c I still have so much.  The only thing I've bought recently is toothpaste.  I've still got like 6 face products to use.  I'm almost done with my chanel foundation and lancome mascara and will be switching to one of the many still unopened in my basket.  I'm almost through with many many bottles of hair products.  I don't think I will ever need makeup again.  One thing of blush will last years.

Actually, I started buying face and hand soap, toothbrushes and paste, and a bunch of other stuff for my family at Aldi so I haven't been into CVS in months!  My roots are two inches long.  Will be taking care of that soon.  Someday when I have to refull some product it's store brand only knock-offs for me.

That's a big change! Well done!

I run toward hippie in my purchasing values but do like playing with makeup now and then (minimal plastic packaging is my big thing). My bathroom supplies currently are: bar soap, bar conditioner (no shampoo, conditioner bar on just the ends of my hair and for shaving- this bar will last for at least five years), DE safety razor, washcloths, homemade deodorant. I use an electric toothbrush and prescription toothpaste and buy TP packaged in paper.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 10:48:39 AM »

That's a big change! Well done!

I run toward hippie in my purchasing values but do like playing with makeup now and then (minimal plastic packaging is my big thing). My bathroom supplies currently are: bar soap, bar conditioner (no shampoo, conditioner bar on just the ends of my hair and for shaving- this bar will last for at least five years), DE safety razor, washcloths, homemade deodorant. I use an electric toothbrush and prescription toothpaste and buy TP packaged in paper.

I went to the dollar store on my way to Aldi.  Wow.  Everything was a dollar!  I mean I know but wow.  Even aluminum foil that is 1.70 at Aldi and 5.00 at Kings supermarket was a buck.  Soap, handsoap, two toothbrushes, even some name brand stuff.  Now I go to dollar tree, then Aldi, then buy online in bulk.  I may never enter CVS again.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 11:34:20 AM »
I went to the dollar store on my way to Aldi.  Wow.  Everything was a dollar!  I mean I know but wow.  Even aluminum foil that is 1.70 at Aldi and 5.00 at Kings supermarket was a buck.  Soap, handsoap, two toothbrushes, even some name brand stuff.  Now I go to dollar tree, then Aldi, then buy online in bulk.  I may never enter CVS again.

The thing to watch is the quantity. At least around here (MN), the dish soap at the dollar store is 10oz, while the stuff that's $2 at Target is 24 oz, and the stuff that's $9 at Costco is 135oz. Similar principles for aluminum foil (~25 ft at the dollar store, 200 ft at the regular store), etc.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 07:02:53 PM »

What does prescription toothpaste do?  I’m wondering if that’s what I need now. 

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2019, 08:29:20 PM »
I bought the huge bottles of liquid bath soap at Sam's thinking I was saving money.  But the big bottles are not convenient for our shower set up. And the pump did not go to the bottom of the bottle, so when it got low, I had to mess with draining the last part into another container.  I agree with the Aldi and Dollar Store strategies........regular size packaging, at low prices.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »
I use a double-edge safety razor, just like GuitarStv above. However, I do buy the shave soaps, which can be a little pricier, and it did take me time to find which razors worked best with my face. I bought a huge pack of razors for like $10 online years ago and still have not run out. The soaps are a bit of a luxury, but do still last quite a while.
Same here: still on my first $10 of blades from a decade ago. I have not found shaving soap to be expensive, another online purchase of about $10 from over five years ago, and the shaving brush was about $2 on the bottom shelf at a big box drug store. Perhaps more remarkable than the cost savings is just how little waste there is: the newer soap bars I bought come in cardboard boxes, and I put them in the plastic clamshell that the first bar came in when they are in use. The blades are wrapped in paper only.

know10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 06:02:34 PM »
Admittedly,  I have a lot of leftover products from more foolish times past, but I rarely use, showing how unnecessary they truly are. The good news is that you can take care of your skin and hair with 'natural' products (if that's your thing) without spending $$$
Castille soap- buy in bulk. You can use for your dishes, hand soap, hair, body, shampoo! Even shaving!
Apple cider vinegar - use for rinsing your hair. Trust me, your hair will be much nicer compared to using suave. I also use this as a toner for my face
Coconut oil - moisturize your skin
Exfoliating scrub brush - bought one of those exfoliating wash cloths that are popular in Japan. Very cheap and has lasted me over four years.
Now, I do have other face oils that I bought in times past and are supposed to help your complexion. I had forgotten I even owned them until I recently decided to try to get into a regular skincare routine as I am getting older and want to attempt to avoid wrinkles. So I currently use rosehip oil or jojoba oil on my face. Haven't noticed any difference and when I run out, I'll stick to the cheap routine.
Big tip if you are worried about wrinkles - daily sunscreen. I bought a big tub of zinc oxide powder and with that you can make your own. Just a little bit every day will go a long way!

januarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 01:13:10 PM »
Coconut oil - moisturize your skin

I second (third?) the coconut oil suggestion- I get too oily using it where I live now, but I used to live in a place with brutal winters and coconut oil was the only thing that kept my skin nice and moisturized through the cold windy winters. It is also great as a (ahem) personal lubricant.

Big tip if you are worried about wrinkles - daily sunscreen. I bought a big tub of zinc oxide powder and with that you can make your own. Just a little bit every day will go a long way!

WOW how did I not know about this- this is brilliant. What do you mix it with? Lotion?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2019, 06:04:31 PM »
Hmm...
Glycerin soap.  The new one I tried from Bulk Barn also works as a good shampoo, and I don't need conditioner with it.  I'm using up my old shampoo and conditioner, but when it is gone I will just switch totally to my glycerin soap.  The glycerin soap also works perfectly well as shave cream, just work up a good lather.

Lubriderm for my skin, especially in winter or when my hands are in water a lot.  It's fine for face and body.

I don't use a lot of sunblock, a lot of the ingredients are ecologically iffy.

I do use mascara (my eyelashes disappear otherwise) and I buy it every 3 months.  Maybelline Great Lash, it isn't expensive and it is good.

I use lipstick and nail polish so rarely that I usually need to buy them new when I need them.

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 10:01:51 PM »
I just bought these and love them for removing makeup & applying toner:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCJ1SVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to buy disposable cotton rounds, but they were pricey for something you threw away every day.  So, then i switched to Kleenex or a few sheets of TP...but they just fell apart in pieces before I was done with them.

These should pay for themselves rather quickly!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 07:30:45 AM »
I just bought these and love them for removing makeup & applying toner:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCJ1SVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to buy disposable cotton rounds, but they were pricey for something you threw away every day.  So, then i switched to Kleenex or a few sheets of TP...but they just fell apart in pieces before I was done with them.

These should pay for themselves rather quickly!

Just added these to my Amazon cart. Great idea!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 08:26:44 PM »
I'm in the group that has started using up my HBA without buying as many more. I decluttered my cabinets and grouped like items together. I just started using through all the hair products, lotions, etc. All the tiny samples and hotel toiletries, one after the other.

Now I'm down to:
Shampoo--I googled 'best drugstore shampoo' and the results were Pantene. There are always coupons combined with sales on that
Conditioner--(for shaving as well), same as shampoo
Razors--ordered a lot at once from Dollar Shave Club for flat-rate shipping, then cancelled the account. I'll sign up again next year and do the same.
Toothpaste--A coupon money maker, as I combined a sale with as many coupons as I could find, and actually made $0.12 a tube!
Toothbrush replacement heads-in bulk from Amazon
Sunscreen--using free sample-sized ones I got in my Christmas stocking last year. Once those are used up, I have a full-size tube I got on clearance last fall.

Makeup:
ELF concealer--$3 from Target. Occasionally can find coupons
Blush--a sample from my Christmas stocking
Mascara--whatever drugstore brand has a coupon plus sale
Lips--free lip balm from a work event. I got several to last a while.
Highlighter--Only use this because I was given some. I mix it with blush to make it last longer. I will never actually buy this product.
Eyeshadow--from a big palette I bought on a groupon deal about three years ago. Still have a ton of it.
Anti-perspirant--Secret Clinical. Can usually find coupons.
Face soap and bar soap--from Aldi, great deals

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 08:45:34 PM »
Hmmm......
I'm not one of those people that has multiple bottles and tubes that I don't use. I have favourite brands, and that's what I buy. I try to buy those cheaply in bulk and on sale, but that's what I buy. Could I save money? Yes, and no. I could save a little on actual product cost, but I'd also end up using more of a less effective product, like a shampoo that doesn't lather the way I like, that sort of thing. I've used cheaper razors in the past that didn't last nearly as long etc etc.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2019, 06:00:18 AM »
I am very picky about the ingredients in personal care products, and I have fine, long hair almost down to my waist, so I do spend a bit on my favorite shampoo and conditioner. 

BUT to make up for it, I wash my hair only once every 2-3 days so it takes longer to use up the product.  (Healthier for the hair too!)

For shaving, I've found that razors and shaving cream branded as masculine are often cheaper than the pink/pastel versions despite being the same exact thing. So I buy the men's stuff!

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 12:59:49 AM »
Interesting topic. onward mentioned mouthwash, which I presume means antibacterial. If I think I need a mouthwash, I use a plastic water bottle filled with water and salt.

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2019, 06:59:41 PM »
A tip my wife found was using Pee rags. For women and any household with multiple women this can be significant savings. We bought dollar store washcloths years back and run them with white socks laundry load with a touch of bleach. Older generations dealt with cloth DIAPERS so normal society is way too scared of a little pee.

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2019, 10:13:29 PM »
I am very picky about the ingredients in personal care products, and I have fine, long hair almost down to my waist, so I do spend a bit on my favorite shampoo and conditioner. 

BUT to make up for it, I wash my hair only once every 2-3 days so it takes longer to use up the product.  (Healthier for the hair too!)

For shaving, I've found that razors and shaving cream branded as masculine are often cheaper than the pink/pastel versions despite being the same exact thing. So I buy the men's stuff!
Hi twin ;)
I have long hair as well and get my fancy shampoo/conditioner from Ulta with a coupon twice a year (the big bottles last me about 6 months since I only wash my hair twice a week).  My hair stylist sister gifted me my first bottle and it really did make a difference in my hair, so it stays as long as my hair does.  For those with shorter hair she recommends Suave, said that it is actually better balanced than most drugstore brands for hair health on top of being cheap.  I may go to that next year, depends when my hair gets long enough to donate without being too short to tie back.

I get my (men’s) razors at Costco when they have them in the coupon book which last me all year.

Bar soap is the aloe Lever 2000 at DH’s insistence, it it’s not expensive enough to argue about so I don’t.  Hand soap is the cheap stuff.

For those that like facial type products both amazon and target sell Calcium Bentonite “Aztec Clay” that you mix with apple cider vinegar.  It definitely helps with my oily skin and a one pound container of it was like $9 at Target, and will last at least a year.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2019, 08:47:47 AM »

“Actually, I started buying face and hand soap, toothbrushes and paste, and a bunch of other stuff for my family at Aldi so I haven't been into CVS in months!  My roots are two inches long.  Will be taking care of that soon.”

I did the more mustachian thing and grew my hair out gray! It took a while but if your roots are already two inches consider it.   My hair is a lot healthier now too!

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »
This discussion touched a nerve as I've been struggling with the hair "issue."

I have short hair with a fast gray grow out (2-3 weeks). My options seemed to be suck up an VERY expensive $180 bill every four weeks or go gray. I'm just not ready to go gray yet.

Then a friend recommended the L'Oreal root touch up spray and it's FANTASTIC. When I saw my stylist last, she was really surprised at how well it worked. The color is an exact match. $10 buck a can.

While it's not 100% mustachian, I now go 8-9 weeks between salon visits, which is 50% off from what I was paying.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2019, 06:54:51 AM »
I use soap, toothpaste, floss, shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser and wax strips. I basically only use soap occasionally, so a bar of soap lasts months, ditto shampoo and conditioner so a litre of shampoo lasts at least half a year for the three of us. Most of my soap stash is of the hotel variety with a few nice smelling bars bought when travelling. I like it to go old and hard so it lasts longer. If you discount moisturiser I spend about 30 a year on toiletries. Toothpaste is the only regular spend.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2019, 08:01:20 AM »

What we use:
  • Razors
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Body wash/scrub
  • Shaving cream (unisex)
  • Face oil
  • Body lotion

To go an extra day between hair washes, I braid my shoulderlong hair every night; it gets greasy less quickly that way. It also prevents the ends splitting, so I go longer between hair cuts.

I used to work for a hospitality industry head office, and two years ago came away with three moving boxes full of samples of any type of amenity you can find in a hotel, which I am now using up. I have finished the conditioners and the shower gels, but am still going on with the shampoos, body lotions, razors, tooth brushes, toothpastes, soaps. I expect the shampoos to finish in February 2020, but for soaps I'm SABLE (Stash Acquired Beyond Lifetime Expectancy). Husband uses the body lotions.

I keep our bathroom stuff simple: one shower gel out until it is finished, 1 piece of soap, same shampoo for all. DDs get a novelty shower gel or bath foam for the December fest, but as soon as it's finished they are back on the generic stuff.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »
This discussion touched a nerve as I've been struggling with the hair "issue."

I have short hair with a fast gray grow out (2-3 weeks). My options seemed to be suck up an VERY expensive $180 bill every four weeks or go gray. I'm just not ready to go gray yet.

Then a friend recommended the L'Oreal root touch up spray and it's FANTASTIC. When I saw my stylist last, she was really surprised at how well it worked. The color is an exact match. $10 buck a can.

While it's not 100% mustachian, I now go 8-9 weeks between salon visits, which is 50% off from what I was paying.

Henna type hair coloring from the local hippie store (wide variety of colors now) is maybe $7 a box, and you can use a half box (at most) for root touchup. It does require a longer "set" time - but since you do it at home, just put the hair in a shower cap. No hair damage.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2019, 10:00:03 AM »

I like plain bar soap better than shaving cream.

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »

Henna type hair coloring from the local hippie store (wide variety of colors now) is maybe $7 a box, and you can use a half box (at most) for root touchup. It does require a longer "set" time - but since you do it at home, just put the hair in a shower cap. No hair damage.

I saw ha number of posts about henna. It sounds easy. Have you tried it? I don’t want to end up like the kid I went to high school with who tried to lighten his hair and had it come out day-glow orange!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »

I saw ha number of posts about henna. It sounds easy. Have you tried it? I don’t want to end up like the kid I went to high school with who tried to lighten his hair and had it come out day-glow orange!

Collect the loose hairs from combing your hair for a week, use that to test out the color you want to try. Directions are in the box :)

Day glow orange is only feasible from chemical treatments.

ULminimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2019, 01:10:51 PM »
I've found razors and shaving in general to be a waste of time, and not as efficient as it could be. I quit shaving with a razor in 2004, when I was discharged from the Army. I have used a beard trimmer since then. They are around $20, and last several years before dying. I shave with all the guards off, and it leaves very short stubble, plenty good enough.

Other things that are manufactured needs, or I haven't used in years:

toilet paper(started using a water bottle bidet during my survival school, it cleans better, and water is free)

Shampoo(your hair stays pretty clean naturally, I have hair halfway down my back, and I haven't used shampoo in 6 years) Also, I like long hair better than short, short hair requires a lot more maintenance, I tie my hair in a ponytail and snip off 4 inches or so a year, free yearly haircuts that take 3 minutes, can't beat that. Also, you can't do anything with short hair, I can wear mine in a braid, bun, or ponytail. It's warmer in winter, cooler in summer, as long as it's tied back, it's hotter down. Had my head shaved years ago when I did construction, and hot is hot, hair didn't make a difference.

Nail clippers(scissors work better and last forever, don't break, are multipurpose)

Toothpaste or mouthwash(toothbrush and floss is all you need)

My entire list of hygiene items that has worked for years is a wide tooth comb and some hair ties, toothbrush and floss, small scissors, beard trimmer, African black soap(costlier, but much better for your skin, and it's all natural)

I FIREd at 36, live on 13k a year, comfortably, all expenses.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 01:25:08 PM by ULminimalist »

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »

Collect the loose hairs from combing your hair for a week, use that to test out the color you want to try. Directions are in the box :)

Day glow orange is only feasible from chemical treatments.

THANKS! I'll give it a try!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2019, 05:51:39 AM »
I use the following in the bathroom:

- Toilet paper. No longer the grey, recycled paper, because the latest versions of cheapest kind that I used to buy started to disintegrate while I was using it. Now I use more solid paper.
- Wet wipes after the number 2. Because we don't have a bidet and I want to get properly clean. I buy the ones from the baby shelf in the grocery store, those are quite cheap.
- Cotton sticks for ears after hair wash. One box every few years.
- Shampoo/conditioner in one. My hair now only needs 3 washed per 2 weeks.
- Deodorant, bought when on sale.
- Liquid soap for hand wash.
- Free hotel soaps.
- Shaving foam. Fancy brand for DH, cheap brand for my own occasional use.
- Shaving knives.
- Occasional hair styling product, used once a year or so.

I stopped ages ago to use makeup.

When washing my hair, I turn off the shower after making my hair wet and put it back on to wash out the shampoo. That probably has reduced my use of warm water a lot.

frugs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2020, 11:08:15 PM »

My entire list of hygiene items that has worked for years is a wide tooth comb and some hair ties, toothbrush and floss, small scissors, beard trimmer, African black soap(costlier, but much better for your skin, and it's all natural)

ULMinimalist, where do you get your African black soap? I am looking at it on Amazon and it is a bit pricey.

- I got laser treatment everywhere (yes everywhere) using Groupon packages and now have zero need to shave. EVER. It really is not as painful as people make it out to be.

- Stopped using Q Tips. Another 'manufactured' need. Turns out your ears clean themselves out naturally when you are chewing and talking.

- Stopped using deodorant. I know this is not possible for some people but in my case turns out I don't need it. Even SO never noticed.

- Went to reusable menstrual pads and it has been the best transition. Disposable rags feel like sandpaper now.

- Re-usable cotton rounds.

- Avocado oil to wipe sunscreen off. Rest of the time water is fine. By the way, face wash is totally useless.

- Body wash contributes to unnecessary plastic waste when you can just use soap. I use soap from the dollar store. I don't shower every day so it lasts.

Haven't given up shampoo/conditioner yet but giving that a shot at some point. In the meantime get from Costco and wash once or twice a week. Best to buy large containers instead of bunch of small ones to minimize plastic waste.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:14:18 PM by frugs »

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2020, 07:18:13 AM »
My big saving thing was a completely unexpected gift of a norelco electric razor. I’ve been wet shaving for years using a special razor, because if I didn’t it would look like I shaved with an ax. The electric is awesome! And it takes less than a minute to do a quick zip.

Other stuff. DW splurges on shampoo and organic skin creams. That’s not changing, so no point in dwelling on it. We use electric toothbrushes, but have found that buying the whole unit with heads when they come up for sale at aldi is cheaper than than buying just the sonicare heads. So we get a new one every now and then.

Soap is bulk at Costco.

I don’t like the taste of mint toothpaste, so I’m getting my cinnamon stuff. It’s actually one of the cheaper brands. We like the glide dental floss.Maintaining your teeth is far cheaper and less painful than not, so this is not a cost I’m going worry much about.

Mrs Brightside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What one fool can do, another can.
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2020, 09:00:01 AM »
snip.....

- I got laser treatment everywhere (yes everywhere) using Groupon packages and now have zero need to shave. EVER. It really is not as painful as people make it out to be.

- Stopped using Q Tips. Another 'manufactured' need. Turns out your ears clean themselves out naturally when you are chewing and talking.

- Stopped using deodorant. I know this is not possible for some people but in my case turns out I don't need it. Even SO never noticed.

- Went to reusable menstrual pads and it has been the best transition. Disposable rags feel like sandpaper now.

- Re-usable cotton rounds.

- Avocado oil to wipe sunscreen off. Rest of the time water is fine. By the way, face wash is totally useless.

- Body wash contributes to unnecessary plastic waste when you can just use soap. I use soap from the dollar store. I don't shower every day so it lasts.

Haven't given up shampoo/conditioner yet but giving that a shot at some point. In the meantime get from Costco and wash once or twice a week. Best to buy large containers instead of bunch of small ones to minimize plastic waste.

Whoa @frugs I'm interested in lots of these!

* laser treatment and never shaving again -- that's living the dream! Have you found that you need to go back for touch ups? I'm afraid of spending the $$ to have it "done" and then always needing to go back again.

* deodorant ummm -- don't think I'm brave enough for that.

* reusable menstrual pads -- got any recommendations? Never thought of this, but if diapers can be reusable, why not?? I tried the menstrual cup thing but wasn't a fan.

* shampoo/conditioner wash once or twice a week -- how is everyone here washing 1/2/3x a week??? if I go even one day without washing, by the end of the day hair looks really greasy. do you wear a shower cap? do you shower normally and just not wash your hair? Air dry or blow dry? I know it can't be healthy to strip my hair all the time but I can't figure out how to stop.