Author Topic: Saved my employer over $1,000 on travel  (Read 2082 times)

dabighen

• Stubble
Saved my employer over $1,000 on travel
« on: August 19, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
I had to travel to Cleveland from Concord NH.  Coworkers thought i was odd, but i biked from home to bus station, to Amtrack where i boxed my bike.  Overnight train ride saved an additional hotel cost and was productive on train due to Amtracks great WiFi.  Adding up saved my employer over $1,000.

Bus ILO airport parking:  $28 vs $120
Round trip Train ILO Plane (plus $20 bike fee): $122 vs $375
Bike vs rental car:  free vs. $250 not even including gas
Hotel biking distance vs. Downtown:  $564 vs $1125

Not bad
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:59:35 PM by dabighen »

coldestcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Saved my employer over $1,000 on travel
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »
That is awesome!
Depending on where you work that would be a benefit to you, but if I did something like that no one would notice either way. I hope you get commended for this. :)

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »
That's pretty awesome!  Way to keep you routine even while traveling for work.

I just had the opposite experience, for some reason my company cannot book travel that is more than 7 days away, so we pay a premium on flights and hotels.  I'm traveling this week and when booking I was told to re-book my hotel to a cheaper one, same distance from office location, by about $20.  I did and when I asked my team to do the same it was sold-out.  So the $20 saved will be offset by the two different Uber/Taxi that we now have to take because my hotel is in the opposite direction as where my team is staying.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
When I used to travel for work, I'd always save $500-1000 per trip, including staying at the Hampton Inn (6 block walk) when others stayed at Sheraton (1 block from office), always took public transportation instead of cars.  Ate below my small daily allowance (but did get to pocket that savings at least). 

Only thing I ever got was puzzled faces like "why did you do that?"

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 06:00:16 PM »
Yeah, I'm probably 25% less than the average co-worker when it comes to travel.

My main motivation for doing it is not getting used to traveling soft. When you constantly eat at the airport and stay at expensive hotels, you start doing that when you are traveling fun with your wife.

NVDee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
I am with hubby while he is working out of country for a couple of months.  He asked his employer to cover the cost of shipping our bikes rather than renting a car for two months! He gets to bike to work everyday along an amazing bike path with absolutely lovely views of mountains and rivers.

Saved his company big $$$ and we have bikes to explore a new place every weekend.

gpyros85

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 01:42:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm probably 25% less than the average co-worker when it comes to travel.

My main motivation for doing it is not getting used to traveling soft. When you constantly eat at the airport and stay at expensive hotels, you start doing that when you are traveling fun with your wife.

The fancy hotels are not all that great! They charge for parking and even charge for breakfast! To much nickel and dimeing at the high end. Also, you get the same room space and bed at the end of the day...

Also, there is no benefit on saving money while traveling for work. They send you all that way just eat the food.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:44:07 AM by gpyros85 »