Author Topic: Saved a thousand dollars (or at least $400) fixed my oven for 60 cents  (Read 3423 times)

Lyngi

• Stubble
I have an old Jenn Aire wall oven from around 2006.  Several years ago the clock and temp display kind of faded away and disappeared.  We can still use the oven, but people are confused when they try to use it.  I'm trying to fix all the little things that have fallen by the wayside.  Maybe in a couple of years we'll move/downsize and I would have to buy a new oven.  I priced new ovens and holy crap!!!   So I googled my problem and found a website     appliancepartspro    There is quick and easy fix from "engineer Daniel" by replacing a C3 capacitor.   Six dollars in parts from Amazon (well, 60 cents for one capacitor) and a little help from DH with soldering and we have a bright and clear display!!!!  Go us

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Saved a thousand dollars (or at least $400) fixed my oven for 60 cents
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 10:54:04 AM »
  Go us

Yes, go you!!!

Nice to know that "regular people" can still fix appliances every now and then. Especially since "they don't make them like they used to," and by that, I mean it seems that with new appliances we're lucky to get 10 years out of them before they cost more to repair than the price of a new one.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
I fixed my 1990's refrigerator last summer and felt like a bad ass.  I did the same thing, researched the symptoms and the appropriate spare part via Google, then watched a video on how to swap out said part, and voila, avoided the purchase of a new refrigerator before I intended to (will be remodeling the kitchen in a couple of years and will get new appliances then). 

All the appliances in my house are ticking time bombs due to the era they were manufactured, so I see me doing this type of repair more often. 

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »
I fixed my 1990's refrigerator last summer and felt like a bad ass. 
That is great.  Before MMM, our fridge went out.  Bought a new one for a facepunch worthy price. But, I love the fridge.  Hated the old fridge.  I don't regret it. 

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »
You have inspired me! I need to fix the clock and one burner on my 1961 Fridgidaire Flaire stove. I can hear the clock want to work, but the hands don't move. I bet something is just gummed up in the motor. I have the service manual, but haven't taken that panel apart out of fear of hurting something vital. The burner is an easy swap out, not surprisingly, it's hard to find parts for the old gal.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 09:15:19 PM »
You have inspired me! I need to fix the clock and one burner on my 1961 Fridgidaire Flaire stove. I can hear the clock want to work, but the hands don't move. I bet something is just gummed up in the motor. I have the service manual, but haven't taken that panel apart out of fear of hurting something vital. The burner is an easy swap out, not surprisingly, it's hard to find parts for the old gal.

I feel your pain. We found parts for my FIL's late 50's built in stovetop on eBay. Worked a charm!

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:14:09 AM »
It's amazing how built to last the old appliances are. When I replace something, I look for as simple as possible, with no motherboard. Fancy features are worthless if it won't work and you can't fix it.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 03:14:47 AM »
We had a 1992 vintage gas stove.  Worked fine, but the "clock" would fade in and out.  I "fixed" that by buying a cheap clock/timer (separate).  We also had a 1998 vintage refrigerator that didn't' close right.  I fixed that with some insulating strips.  Works good as new.

We donated both to a woman and her teen aged daughter getting a restart in life after living in a battered woman's shelter (one of my wife's favorite charities).  I told her that if either ever went out, I'd fix them, or replace them.  We also gave her an old computer too (circa 2008, bit it still worked fine), an old table my wife didn't use anymore, and a couple of old TVs (CRTs, with the "digital" boxes). 

This stuff was nearly worthless, to us, but she was happy to have them. 

A "win-win" because she got functional (though dated) appliances.  And we kept them out of the landfill.  I kinda felt strange "dumping junk" on this woman, but she and her daughter were genuinely grateful to have it.

I'm thinking of giving them my old truck.  My (upper middle class, professional, over privileged) co-workers call the 15-year old truck a POS, but it runs great, far better than the broken down junker she drives now.  It's ugly, but reliable.  And to many Americans, any reliable transportation is a extremely valuable.

I guess I'm ranting, but I think this gives some perspective on "wealth" in America.  That which we, who are doing well, consider "junk" may still be very useful to the less privileged.

I was lucky in that my parents stayed together, and my dad, while poor and often unemployed, was "handy" (a skill which has largely eluded me, despite being well educated and wealthy).  He could fix damned near anything.  But not everyone is so lucky.  My mom could have ended up like this woman.  So if you get a chance to help someone, and can afford to do so, please do so.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
Kind of tangential, but I fixed our mower a few weeks ago.  It turns out I just had to learn how to clean out the carburetor.  I know the gearheads are rolling their eyes that that's easy, but I still feel like I accomplished something. 

PS Now comes the face punch for using a gas mower.  I really would like to get down to little or no lawn post-FIRE.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 02:03:15 AM »
Kind of tangential, but I fixed our mower a few weeks ago.  It turns out I just had to learn how to clean out the carburetor.  I know the gearheads are rolling their eyes that that's easy, but I still feel like I accomplished something. 

PS Now comes the face punch for using a gas mower.  I really would like to get down to little or no lawn post-FIRE.

My weekend goal is figuring out how to clean the carburetor on.my snowblower so you are in good company.

Two weeks ago I fixed my washing machine, thank you YouTube.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 10:26:46 AM »

My weekend goal is figuring out how to clean the carburetor on.my snowblower so you are in good company.

Two weeks ago I fixed my washing machine, thank you YouTube.

Most of the work of cleaning the carburetor was just getting everything taken off so I could get to it, then putting it all back on.  Actually cleaning it was easy. 

Youtube has changed the game on DIY repairs. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!