Author Topic: Saved 640.00 per year by switching to Tracfone  (Read 2439 times)

jimmygibbon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Ennvoy Mineral Cosmetics
Saved 640.00 per year by switching to Tracfone
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »
I just wanted to pass along my experience with switching our phone service from Cricket to Tracfone.  My husband and I each had a smartphone with Cricket with unlimited calls and 1GB of data per line.  We were paying 35.00 each which I thought was pretty reasonable. I happened to be flipping channels and stumbled upon the HSN shopping network and they were hawking a nice Samsung Galaxy Stardust for 99.95 which includes 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and 1200gb of data.  So, I ordered the phones and could not be more pleased.  We were paying 840.00 per year and now will probably pay 200.00 per year as we have wifi at home and don't text or talk much.  Just wanted to pass on this info for anyone looking for a very reasonably priced smartphone option.

Jimmy

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Saved 640.00 per year by switching to Tracfone
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:56:51 PM »
I don't say this to be uncharitable, but cautionary: there's well documented far better service out there for the money. Recent discussion on Tracfone specifically, and of course the trusty rusty guide.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:07:40 PM by I.P. Daley »

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:10:27 PM »
I've been with Tracfone since 2007 with no problems. I haven't had to call customer service in the last 5 years or so, and when I did I got help with my issues no problem. I can manage all my Tracfones on my account on their website.

I have a LG Ultimate 2 Android that I paid $130 for that included 1 year of service and 1200 talk/1200 texts/1200mb data. I'm a very light user of service so I use <100 units of each per month. Through some super 1/2 price sales of Tracfone cards and "glitches" in their systems I have on the phone ~4000 each of the talk/text/data units, and service days out to 2037. I spent about $250 to accumulate all this service. I won't have to feed this phone for the next 3 or 4 years, at the rate I use units. So this phone is FREE for the forseeable future.

I use the heck out of this phone out in the field in my geology mapping job: I have the GPS running all day looking at the custom georeferenced PDF maps I make of my project area, I take geotagged photos. I use a bit of data checking the weather radar sometimes. I also use it a lot for wifi, mp3, apps, etc. The phone is on CDMA Verizon service. I live out on the CO/UT line, not exactly a metropolis, and I have great service almost everywhere out in the middle of nowhere (unless I'm in a canyon). The only place I got no service at all was in Vernal, UT. This phone doesn't roam. But who cares it's Vernal, I wasn't staying there long anyways. Then I went out to the end of Harper's Corner Road in Dinosaur National Monument, a very remote place. I had great 3G service out there and was downloading geology maps from my Dropbox.

The phones aren't top of the line, but is a $600 phone 6x better than my cheapie LG phone? Next year Tracfone will come out with new phones and I may upgrade to another $100 phone. I don't want to carry an expensive phone around. These Tracfones are cheap enough that I have a spare LG smart phone, that I paid $20 for, set aside. If I lose or break my main phone I can go online and switch my service to the spare phone in about 5 minutes and be back up and running.

Tracfone is just now starting to offer service on GSM AT&T smart phones, which I have been following closely. I may jump to an AT&T phone someday. They have also started offering BYOP plans on both Verizon and AT&T.

I keep a cheap Tracfone flip phone going for the AT&T service (also excellent out in these parts, it worked fine in Vernal). I bought the phone for $4.99 and I put a $19.99/90 day/60 minute card on it every 3 months. My bf had this phone out and was calling me from somewhere on the top of the San Rafael Swell. Great service. I got one of these $4.99 flip phones for my 85 yo mother, activated it, and sent it to her in MA. She's very happy with it. I can add a card to it from my computer so she doesn't have to worry about doing that.

If I want to make a long phone call I have Google Voice and and an Obi100 box for free calls over my $21/mo, 3mbps DSL. Cell service is much better than DSL out here on the frontier! I've been using GV/Obi for over 2 years now and it has worked great for us. No complaints, and it's FREE.

I have read the trusty guide on here, and many other forums, learning about all the other phone services out there, but no other service compares to what I can get for essentially $7/mo with Tracfone on Verizon and AT&T. Most of the other discount plans are on Tmoblie or Sprint, which only have decent service here in the city.

My favorite forums for Tracfones:
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/330-Tracfone-Net10
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/index/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:29:12 PM by eostache »

gomike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »
With your usage you should have switched to freedompop to save $840 a year

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!