Author Topic: Save money on better quality eggs  (Read 2681 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Save money on better quality eggs
« on: April 19, 2019, 01:29:58 PM »
This tip is for egg eaters in Canada, if your country has two qualities of eggs, both in good volumes, this may also apply to you. 

I love to eat eggs.   They are nutritious, low cost and easy to make.  A good grocery budget item.

We have an egg board here that controls supply, AND of course there are producers working hard to provide higher nutrition in the eggs, plus various types of hen practices resulting in more humanely raised hens.  All different prices.  and expensive.   I get to choose from up to 8 types of egg practices when I go to the store.

I do buy the cheap eggs for baking but the better eggs for eating -- because the better eggs / better practices actually taste twice as good and have 1/3 more nutrients.   I also like the ideat of hens that have the ability to roost and flap their wings.

Basic large eggs cost $3/dozen plus.  (on sale as low as $2.30/dozen but only one carton at a time, only one store). 
Nicer eggs cost $4.35 - $6.50 a dozen.

Guess what I discovered.
Those nicer quality eggs are only sold in size LARGE... there is not enough shelf space for all the sizes.   
Size LARGE is tightly regulated by the government to be a very specific size.  What do they do, then with the MEDIUM eggs?   There will always be a percentage of MEDIUM eggs as you grow out your hens, or just randomly.

Medium generic eggs are $2.30 /dozen, and often, when I crack one open-- are obviously the overflow from the premimum diet hens.  (They look better, taste delicious).

My tip --  If you want to save money and still get higher quality eggs (often), try buying your store's MEDIUM eggs.  Check them out.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Save money on better quality eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »
This tip is for egg eaters in Canada, if your country has two qualities of eggs, both in good volumes, this may also apply to you. 

My tip --  If you want to save money and still get higher quality eggs (often), try buying your store's MEDIUM eggs.  Check them out.

And if your store has an area for local produce, buy your eggs from that area.  I can see and taste the difference between eggs bought "local" and eggs from the exact same producer in the exact same carton bought at other grocery stores.

Of course eggs from someone local who lets their hens run around are even better.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:16:13 PM »
I hit the jackpot on eggs, a local lady who raises hens drives past my house on her way to work so she is willing to deliver to my door. Only $2/dozen for farm fresh free range eggs that are sooooo delicious.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 06:17:18 PM »
I always stare at the egg section for about 5 minutes, struggling.

I can pay anything from 1.99/doz to 8.99.

In the end I usually try for something on sale like the 4.99 marked down to 3.50 or so.

STEMorbust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 10:51:45 PM »
I hit the jackpot on eggs, a local lady who raises hens drives past my house on her way to work so she is willing to deliver to my door. Only $2/dozen for farm fresh free range eggs that are sooooo delicious.

Same here. Highly recommend finding a situation like this or getting your own chickens! They're super easy.

When we have to buy at a grocery store we go with a mix of local and quality. They usually go hand in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 07:19:45 AM »

Same here. Highly recommend finding a situation like this or getting your own chickens! They're super easy.

Couldn't agree with you more having a few hens is easy almost anywhere you are.  I got chickens 5 years back or so and laugh at store bought eggs now.  I couldn't believe the difference when I got my first eggs and I cooked some store bought that I had left in the same pan together.  Also Parizade that is a good price unless you live in country as that is about the going rate but you are getting them delivered!.  I usually give a dozen away every week or so.  When I first got my hens the hatchery put in an extra chick and asked that I donate or give away the eggs or meat.  I have been doing it since and even if it isn't much everyone that gets them loves them and appreciates it.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »

You DID hit the jackpot.  Eggs here are $5/dozen from local sources.  I like the local aspect, but not when Costco is charging $3-3.50/dozen for organic eggs.

One day I will move to an area where I'm allowed to have hens.  One day....

Eowyn_MI

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 08:41:46 AM »

You DID hit the jackpot.  Eggs here are $5/dozen from local sources.  I like the local aspect, but not when Costco is charging $3-3.50/dozen for organic eggs.

One day I will move to an area where I'm allowed to have hens.  One day....

I waited 7 years to move to a house where I could have chickens.  Now, I have 4 hens that started laying in January and it was so worth the wait.  You will get there!!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »
I get local eggs from a lady with backyard chickens. $3/dozen, and they are amazing. I can hardly stand buying eggs from the store now, even "pastured/organic" ones. Unfortunately her chickens aren't laying well right now, so I haven't been able to get any lately...so I've just honestly stopped eating eggs because I am so used to hers.