Author Topic: Save $360/yr by producing your own tofu  (Read 1988 times)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
Save $360/yr by producing your own tofu
« on: July 15, 2021, 09:00:37 AM »
My spouse was gifted a spool of food-grade PLA for her 3D printer from a vendor. She doesn't need it for her business, so we've been playing around with it. First up was a tofu press, because who wants precariously balanced cans and plates on the counter?

One thing lead to another and now I've been scratch making our tofu for about a month. I'm using lemon juice, not the traditional gypsum or nigeri. This gives a courser curd, which isn't an issue unless you prefer silken tofu. If you don't do soy, Burmese tofu is an option (made with chickpeas).

Bulk soybeans: $1.75/lb or $.70/block
Lemon juice: $.02/block
Electricity: Negligible, let's say $.03/block to be generous and work with round numbers.

Total cost: $0.75 per block of tofu. The cheap blocks around here are about $2, and the fancy organic ones are $3+.

This is just for the tofu. I've been experimenting with the okara (soy bean pulp that's left over). It's awesome in vegetarian meatballs, and we like the texture in veggie burgers but I'm still tweaking the spices and seasonings to get the best flavor. I just read that it can be dehydrated and ground into a flour and then added in small amounts to breads for a protein boost or used to thicken soups/stews. I'll bust out the dehydrator and try that out after our move next week.

We typically spent around $20/month on pre-made veggie burger patties and consume 2 blocks of tofu a week at $16/month. That means making our own tofu/veggie burgers only costs us $6/mo, or a savings of $30/mo or $360 a year (you can double that for some of the organic stuff). That's almost my annual car insurance bill, right there!

Yes, there is the time commitment, although it isn't much. Soak, blend, strain, and then simmer 10 minutes and wait another 10 minutes. Drain and press. It's probably 15 minutes of hands-on time. I added it to our bread baking and meal prep day routine, so it fits into time where I am already spending a couple of hours in the kitchen.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Save $360/yr by producing your own tofu
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 07:15:21 AM »
Go you!  I'm not much for tofu, but my wife cooks with it sometimes and I eat whatever she makes.  She has made chocolate pudding with silken tofu and its quite good.  I'm curious about the process and will look into it.  How does your homemade version compare to the various store bought brands?  It sounds like yours is equivalent to the 'extra firm' variety?  How does the chickpea variety compare to soy?

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 07:37:51 AM »
I had no idea one could make a chickpea-based tofu and am reading up on recipes now. Thanks!

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 08:05:57 AM »
Go you!  I'm not much for tofu, but my wife cooks with it sometimes and I eat whatever she makes.  She has made chocolate pudding with silken tofu and its quite good.  I'm curious about the process and will look into it.  How does your homemade version compare to the various store bought brands?  It sounds like yours is equivalent to the 'extra firm' variety?  How does the chickpea variety compare to soy?

Mine compares to the texture of a firm to extra firm -- but it's a bit more crumbly due to the larger curd. My preferred way to make tofu is to bake it, and the texture is superb for that. I like to cube and then coat it in a light marinade then toss it to lightly coat in a cornmeal/potato starch mixture, then bake at 400 for 25 minutes. It's crispy and flavorful afterward, with a soft interior. Depending on the marinade I may add it to stirfries, top a homemade KFC famous bowl with it, or even it in tacos. It also has a good texture if one likes to make "scrambled" tofu as an egg replacement or for use as tofu "feta."

Chickpea tofu is very, very smooth. Similar to silken but it holds together better. Unlike soy tofu, chickpea tofu also has a flavor of its own from the chickpea flour. I found it a good sub for meat in things like curries, as the flavor of the chickpeas complements the spices well.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 08:51:26 AM »
I think you have sent me down a rabbit hole. This sounds so interesting!

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 09:41:02 AM »
I'll have to try this! Thanks

nessa

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 08:04:58 AM »
I am very very interested in this - good to hear someone has had success with homemade tofu!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 08:39:42 AM »
Ohhhhhh! Adding this to my list! Making tempeh was on the list, but I hadn't even considered tofu. sweet.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
I'm mid-move this week and camping next week, but when I get back I'll put together a little photo essay of the method I use and show the result!

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »
That's pretty badass.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 09:17:22 PM »
I am always shocked at the variety in food prices. I only pay USD$1.50 for a block of tofu, and if I go to Costco, that is the organic price. (Whole Foods Organic here is the same price that you are paying for regular, according to the interwebz).

And the best deal on soy beans (quick search, mind you, just because it turns out soybeans at my local grocery store are over $3.60 for 15oz, which was a definite non starter) that I can find is just over $2/lb for 20lb.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 06:28:29 AM »
$2 for 20 lbs of soybeans is strikingly low by US standards. That is the equivalent of $6/bushel, and soybean commodity prices for farmers, grain elevators, and food processors are up above $14/bushel at the moment.

I managed to get my hands on some chickpea flour, hopeful to try out the chickpea-based tofu approach this weekend.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 08:46:57 AM »
$2 for 20 lbs of soybeans is strikingly low by US standards. That is the equivalent of $6/bushel, and soybean commodity prices for farmers, grain elevators, and food processors are up above $14/bushel at the moment.

I managed to get my hands on some chickpea flour, hopeful to try out the chickpea-based tofu approach this weekend.

That was just over $2/lb by buying 20 lbs: still more than OP is paying.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 09:53:36 AM »
Oh, I misread. $2/lb when buying in units of 20 lbs, not $2 for 20 lbs. Sorry about that!

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 10:05:39 AM »
To be fair, prices may be up to $2/lb. I purchased a few pounds from our co-op's bulk section last spring during the covid tofu shortage, then only made tofu once at that time because it was a pain without a press.

At $2/lb for bulk soy beans, that increases the cost per block to $0.85. Still a savings, especially if you are weird like me and get pleasure from doing stuff like this :)

Chickpea flour can also be found under the names Garbanzo flour (I think this is what Bob's Red Mill labels it) or besan. If you have an Indian grocer nearby, you can usually find it quite inexpensively labeled as besan.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
Hmmm, I find it for $1.00 all the time. In fact, I bought some on Senior Day this week and paid 90 cents each. I didn't know I was getting such a screaming deal. That's an advantage of shopping the discount grocers, I guess. I do love that you can make your own. Good luck with your tofu adventures!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 12:48:18 PM by Dicey »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 10:33:55 AM »
Hmmm, I find it for $1.00 all the time. In fact, I  ought some on Senior Day this week and paid 90 cents each. I didn't know I was getting such a screaming deal. That's an advantage of shopping the discount grocers, I guess. I do love that you can make your own. Good luck with your tofu adventures!
That may be a result of living in an area with a large Asian population. I have never found tofu for less than $1.75lb in Florida, even on a 2-for-1 sale.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 12:04:02 AM »
Chickpea flour can also be found under the names Garbanzo flour (I think this is what Bob's Red Mill labels it) or besan. If you have an Indian grocer nearby, you can usually find it quite inexpensively labeled as besan.
I know it as gram flour. Looks like another of those things with lots of different names depending on where you are. :-)