Author Topic: Royals Make Playoffs - Boarder's stash grows  (Read 7926 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Royals Make Playoffs - Boarder's stash grows
« on: September 26, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
So as you can imagine its been A LONG TIME since the royals have made the playoffs.  (we still havent yet)  But that can all change by 10PM CST this evening.  As many of you have seen from previous posts I'm a ticket reseller in my free time.  I was able to aquire a good sized chunk of tickets to the first 3 games and stand to double my investment in 2 weeks time.  Cant beat a 100% ROI going straight towards working less years.

I don't care if you're opposed. This is my side hustle and I'm fine with it. 

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
Re: Royals Make Playoffs - Boarder's stash grows
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
I'm not opposed - good for you!

I resell nearly all (rather, all for the last 2 seasons) of my season tickets to an elite college football team and it is directly supported by the University through Stubhub (so it isn't scalping, the school makes even more money off of this system). Yeah, I'm losing some $ by using Stubhub, but the pros outweigh the cons. I more than make my money back for the season, especially after I sell the parking pass I get, too. So I'm getting better and better seats every year since the system gives you bonus points for years buying tix, while not coming out of pocket. Sometimes I go to a game, but I plan on going much more often once FI in ~10 years.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
ticket reselling may well be what puts me into retirement faster than i expect.  always looking to grow my portfolio of events to buy.  its pretty easy money if you know your events.  i stick with baseball and beer festivals.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »
HOLY FREAKING COW what a game ...

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »
When I heard that they won, I thought, "That guy on the MMM forum is probably doing backflips!"

Congrats. ;)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 08:33:59 AM »
I've been a die hard fan for a long time.  Winning is just as much fun as the cash thats flowing in.

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
So as you can imagine its been A LONG TIME since the royals have made the playoffs.  (we still havent yet) But that can all change by 10PM CST this evening.  As many of you have seen from previous posts I'm a ticket reseller in my free time.  I was able to aquire a good sized chunk of tickets to the first 3 games and stand to double my investment in 2 weeks time.  Cant beat a 100% ROI going straight towards working less years.

I don't care if you're opposed. This is my side hustle and I'm fine with it.

Lol! The game went until nearly midnight. Our Royals wanted to play in October even if that meant a thirteen inning Wildcard game.

juuustin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »
Nice job Boarder!!  I am an O's partial plan holder so I was able to scoop up 8 total tickets to 3 home games.  Demand is absolutely insane in this city because of us only winning one division title in 17 years.  I am not necessarily a reseller, however, because I prefer to go to the games, but Game 2 on Friday is being played in the afternoon and I can't make it.  Sold four $36 tickets ($30 +$6 fee) for an insane $520 total.  $376 profit, or a tidy 261% ROI!!

And I still get to attend tomorrow and possibly next Wednesday if the game is needed.  If we make it to the ALCS or even the World Series, I may end up with thousands of dollars in profit by simply selling one game per series.  Let's go Birds!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:53:06 AM by juuustin »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »
oh thats awesome.  thanks for the tip... dont know if i want to put that much extra money on the line but i just registered for pre purchase tickets to the Os and the pirates for the LCS and WS.

juuustin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »
oh thats awesome.  thanks for the tip... dont know if i want to put that much extra money on the line but i just registered for pre purchase tickets to the Os and the pirates for the LCS and WS.

It is automatic money at the season ticket holder price.  Worst case scenario is you get a refund if the games aren't played.  I'm not sure how much the "public" has to pay over the season ticket price, however.

Also, just a head's up.. there is going to be an incredibly limited supply of tickets after the 81, 29, and 13 game plan holders get their shots for the LCS and WS.  I am not even expecting to get a full complement of tickets as a plan holder.  Should be interesting!!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 11:47:48 AM »
wow you let 13 game plan holders buy tickets thats insane have to have at least 21 games here to get em.

juuustin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »
wow you let 13 game plan holders buy tickets thats insane have to have at least 21 games here to get em.
The way it works is they invoice all plan holders before the postseason.  That got me 2 tickets to Game 2 of each series.  29 game plan holders got 2 games of each series and full plan people obviously got all games.  After paying the invoice, they extend "pre-sale" codes to each plan holder and you basically buy in order of your plan.  Full plan people can buy LCS tix today, 29 game people tomorrow, and 13 game holders not until Monday.  With such a crazy re-sale market already evidenced in the LDS, I can't see how anyone with 81/29 game plan don't buy as many tickets as possible solely based on speculation.  This will leave a veryyy limited supply for 13 game people and general public.

At the end of the day, I'm saying that if you have the chance to buy, do it.  You won't regret it.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »
I lived in KC sixteen years and the Royals never had a playoff appearance, and the Chiefs never had a post season victory.  Always said that town has the best fans ever (who else would put up with it so long?) and they deserved to have a winner to cheer for, so I am very happy for all of KC!

Hope you do well with your tickets!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »
it has been fun.  i hope the ride continues.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 12:51:11 AM »
Thank you for beating the hated A's.

-signed, Mariners fan

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »
Thank you for beating the hated A's.

-signed, Mariners fan

HAHA .. well you guys have fun with the curse of dutton.  Our old beat writer who is now in Seattle. 

Leaves KC royals make playoffs for the first time in 29 years.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 05:42:51 AM »
I'm here in KC, and between the Royals playoff win and the Chiefs hammering the Patriots, it's a fun week to be in KC.  Don't have cable, so unless they broadcast the game on regular channels I won't get to see one...but I'm also not staying up past 9:30 to watch it, so I guess it doesn't matter either way. 

I do resent (mildly) the cow-town references in the national sports articles.  Yes, we have cows in the suburbs....but have they been to KC?  LOL. 

Heart of Tin

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »
I do resent (mildly) the cow-town references in the national sports articles.  Yes, we have cows in the suburbs....but have they been to KC?  LOL.

I'm not sure how long you've been in Kansas City, but around the turn of the Millennium  these statues were all over town: http://www.wcrosby.com/6-11-01/cows1.html

They were fairly iconic. I just wish that our cows would be put in context. Kansas City became a big city because of the railroads, the stockyards, and the rivers. So cows are an integral part of our history, but our present has more to do with technology and the art and food scene.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
I've been here my entire life (34 years) so I've grown up in the modern era KC.  We eat a lot of cow! 

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 06:39:53 AM »
And I remember those cows!  Those were fun, and I remember, only located in our thriving midtown/plaza area.  LOL.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
only picked up 17 tickets to the ALCS... so may not be as lucrative an investment there.  we will see ... have to make it first.  2 wins away!!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 01:23:13 PM »
i plan to put most of the proceeds towards maxing out my HSA so most will be tax free earnings.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 07:52:28 AM »
HEY HEY HEY HEY! ;)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »
#HEYHEYHEYHEY we win again... costs the stash 3.1k in profits from lost game 4 sales. 

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »
One more to go.  Last night was fun to watch.  Hoping tonight has the same result!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 08:58:46 AM »
VERY fun to watch!  The only game I've watched til the end, because my bedtime is 9:30.  Might have to watch all of tonight's game, we'll see how it goes.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 09:31:16 AM »
it has been amazing.  Gotta seal it up tongiht.