Author Topic: Road trip to Grand Rapids  (Read 1933 times)

jedithunder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Road trip to Grand Rapids
« on: December 14, 2021, 09:11:45 AM »
At the end of this month, I am taking my five-year-old son on a short road trip to Grand Rapids, MI.

I am looking for tips or travel tricks folks might have to make this a fun and budget-conscious trip.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Road trip to Grand Rapids
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 10:12:40 AM »
Where are you traveling from?  You want to know what fun things there are to do on the way or just in Grand Rapids?

You probably want to move this to the general section or ask a mustachian.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:15:14 AM by uniwelder »

jedithunder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 10:19:40 AM »
Good point! Traveling from Traverse city, so just three hours north.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 02:54:08 PM »
I've only been there once, and not with any children in tow.

First suggestion is to Google free things to do in Grand Rapids, and maybe also Google that for any other larger city on the way.

There's a building I saw while I was there which might be interesting to go by.  1443 Wealthy St SE  (Zero pun intended)
It looks like it might be for lease now, but as I recall, the inside was just as fanciful as the outside when I was there several years ago.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 02:55:09 PM »
My university town!  Love GR... I've heard it's become really hip since I've left too.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 04:58:38 PM »
On the way down you could play the letter game. Start with A and work to Z.  Try to find words that start with the letter you're on from road signs, businesses, trucks.  License plates not allowed.  X and Z are tricky.

We use to play this all the time on road trips to keep the kids entertained. 

Anytime I've gone to Grand Rapids we've hit the breweries, so I'm not much help in that regard.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 06:57:09 AM »
Anytime I've gone to Grand Rapids we've hit the breweries, so I'm not much help in that regard.

Hah, same!

GR has a children's museum, and I think the Frederik Meijer gardens are decorated for the holidays. Friends in that area have taken their kids through the drive-through holiday light show. I'm not sure where it is, but it's worth a Google search. I imagine that downtown is all decked out for the holidays.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 07:13:11 AM »
I was born in grand rapids, so it still has a special place in my heart. But unfortunately, all my knowledge of the town is about 20 years out of date.

It almost immediately become "cool" after I left. :/   

Take a cruise/walk through the heritage hill neighborhood. Lots of neat houses there. 

Not sure what the current museum situation is like, but GR has always had nice ones. Including the Gerald R Ford museum. 

If the gypsum mines are still doing tours, that can be neat. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/michigan-gypsum-mines

Avoid 28th street at all costs.   

Grand Rapids has a lot of really nice city parks that I enjoyed as a kid, but they aren't quite as enjoyable in the winter. Although Mulick park had a killer sledding hill by 8 year old standards.   

Instead of doing the high speed burn down 131, taking 37 south out of TC can be a nice drive. 

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 07:33:34 AM »
Almost forgot- blanford nature center:

https://blandfordnaturecenter.org/

This was always cool to visit as a kid. They often have some fun events around the holidays as well.