Author Topic: Road the bike 9 miles to work  (Read 4313 times)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
Road the bike 9 miles to work
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:35:03 AM »
Yeah, I'm kind of a badass! 

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
Re: Road the bike 9 miles to work
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:37:12 AM »
YAY!

nice job!

b

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 04:15:35 AM »
The ride home was in a driving rainstorm, felt great and it wasn't as hot as forecast!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
No melting?  No pain in the rain?  You actually enjoyed it?  AWESOME!  Glad you found out how great it can be, regardless of the weather.  Also, 9 miles on a commute to work is pretty badass!

kirsten

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:40:13 PM »
That is badass - awesome!

Iceplant18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
9 miles is a pretty good commute on a bike.  Mine is about 4 and takes me around 15 minutes or so.  At first it was hard but it got easier and easier as I did it over and over.  Eventually my body completely adapted to it and riding to work was just part of life.  The savings I've had over the years as a result of doing this has more than paid for the bike itself.  Plus I'm in better shape.  Plus I'm helping the environment.  Plus I'm helping reduce our country's dependence on foreign oil.  Plus I'm helping reduce the cost of oil for everyone else by reducing demand.  Plus my moods better because I'm filling my day with outdoor activity.  The list goes on. 

George_PA

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27:38 PM »
9 miles is quite a distance to travel if you are not yet used to biking a lot.  You may want to start with just 1 or 2 days a week to start then slowly work yourself up to commuting by bike everyday.  Give your body some time to adapt to it.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 04:09:10 AM »
First ride was last Friday, repeated yesterday (Wednesday) and it is a good long haul, but doable.  I hope to do about twice a week working around early meetings and such.  It takes me about 42 minutes in the morning and 50 in the evening, only slightly longer than my car commute. 

George_PA

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »
yeah but at least the commute also counts as your workout too so there is no need to go the gym those days which in itself could take an hour

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 04:48:14 PM »
Awesome!!! This gives me hope to one day be able to commute my 13 miles. (Haven't road a bike since I could drive a car at 15). Now I am seeing the error of my ways.

ChoicesChoices

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »
9 miles is a pretty good commute on a bike.  Mine is about 4 and takes me around 15 minutes or so.  At first it was hard but it got easier and easier as I did it over and over.  Eventually my body completely adapted to it and riding to work was just part of life.  The savings I've had over the years as a result of doing this has more than paid for the bike itself.  Plus I'm in better shape.  Plus I'm helping the environment.  Plus I'm helping reduce our country's dependence on foreign oil.  Plus I'm helping reduce the cost of oil for everyone else by reducing demand.  Plus my moods better because I'm filling my day with outdoor activity.  The list goes on.

This is encouraging! I started this week also. Shorter distance even and longer time. Sigh. Glad to hear it gets easier.

EJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »
Way to go Davis! Huge positive implications for your efforts.

It definitely gets easier. First time I rode 6mi to work (3weeks ago) it took me 28 minutes and I was huffing and puffing. After about 10 commutes I have my time down to 22 minutes and am in much better shape already. Continue riding and you will see the benefits almost instantly!

aaronpct

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 12:15:34 PM »
Congrats! I just got my road bike back and tuning it and adjusting it (taking off the clips for pedals).  I have a 11 mile ride to work in Florida that i'm trying to build up the cajones to do at least once or twice a week (Hopefully more?!).  If the waves are good though, I plan on driving so I can go surfing before work. =)