Author Topic: Rice and beans - share your recipe  (Read 59458 times)

MLKnits

• Bristles
Re: Rice and beans - share your recipe
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 05:20:19 PM »
Thanks, Toffeemama! I definitely regretted mixing them almost as soon as I did it. I think cooking fresh rice every couple days for the leftover beans&veggies&spices might be the best solution. Slightly more cooking than I want to do, but probably much less than I should, too ;)

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
I stir fry my old steamed rice.

Also like adding some lemon/lime juice to the water the rice cooks in for flavor

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 07:59:33 PM »
What fantastic recipes, everyone! It's a half-hour till lunch and I'm dying here...

DH loves beans but isn't a big fan of rice at home, we eat so much of it in China. So I tend to make chili or burritos quite often, but not rice and beans. Hmm, maybe could slip some brown rice in, thanks for the inspiration!

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
Thanks, Toffeemama! I definitely regretted mixing them almost as soon as I did it. I think cooking fresh rice every couple days for the leftover beans&veggies&spices might be the best solution. Slightly more cooking than I want to do, but probably much less than I should, too ;)

I've done exactly that same thing before, just dumped the rice in without thinking.  I remember the sinking feeling once I started stirring it all together, "Wait a minute.....something's not right....Awww, crap."

OrangeSnapDragon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »
Not a recipe, but if you grow (or buy extra) jalapeno's, hot peppers, banana peppers, or bell peppers they are ridiculously easy to freeze.

Chop, put in a bag, and freeze.  No blanching required!

They do stay fairly crisp for sautes, soups, sauces, etc.  The only think I wouldn't use them for is eating as is.  Cheap to practically free it's a great way to save a bit on food.

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 07:53:20 AM »
It's Lent in the startswithhome home, so I'll share our version of Egyptian lentils and rice.

1 cup brown/green lentils
1 cup brown rice
5 cups water
pinch each of granulated garlic and cumin
Bring all this to a boil, cover, reduce heat, cook for about 20 min
Add salt to taste, stir
Meanwhile sautee onions until very well done. (I add a pinch of sugar if it's going too slow)
Serve lentil/rice mix and onions with full fat plain yogurt.

I made a version of this dish earlier this week, and it is unbelievably good.  The recipe I used (from Cook's Illustrated) included cumin, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, and cayenne, plus minced cilantro stirred in at the end.  Highly recommend.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »
LOTS of leftovers. What do I do about the rice going dry?

Would some of it lend itself to mashing up with flavourings and a little besan and water if necessary (or an egg and some flour), then forming into patties and frying?

dhlogic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2015, 08:58:34 PM »
Rice and beans is basically the best meal ever. Here is my standard recipe

Thanks for sharing. I made this and enjoyed it.

Catastrophysicist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »
This is probably a thread I can get involved in without getting over my head. . .

I made a pot of beans to go along with dinner tonight and they turned out great, so here goes:

1- 1lb bag of Western Family Small Red Beans, Quick soaked and cooked per the bags instructions with 3 whole garlic cloves, 3 shallots, and 1 T salt added half way thru cook time-- reserve 1 cup cooking liquid

1 Large yellow onion & 1 green Bell Pepper diced small with 1 ts sugar, and caramelized in a large-ish fry pan. (Start on high to get it going, then turn down to medium low and stir occasionally till deep brown, keeping the onions piled up together in the pan.)

Add - 1 small can tomato paste, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 cup molasses, 1/4 brown sugar, and reserved 1 cup liquid from the beans to the caramelized onions. Stir to combine, then add to cooked beans.

At this point, you can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste. Sweeter? add more Brown Sugar, or like things spicy? and etc. I also had a pkg of tempeh faking' bacon thats been around for a little too long that I diced up and fried in real bacon fat and added to the pot for good measure. They're reminiscent of maybe Bush's baked beans except with all the hyperglycemic factors dialed back to about a 2 out of 10 or so.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:45:20 PM by Catastrophysicist »

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »
I eat bean and rice burritos several times per week. And it never gets old Love them. Here is my killer refried bean recipe.

1/2 Large Onion, Diced (or chopped)
Olive Oil (my preference)/Bacon Grease/Coconut oil
2 30 oz Kuner's (or similar) Pinto Beans (or mix one black and one pinto!) Or 1 pound of dry pinto beans cooked in a crockpot (much cheaper than cans!)
Salt, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic)

1. Cover the bottom of a medium/large skillet pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat

2. Add onion and sauté until translucent.  Add all spices to taste (Sorry, no exact measurements, I just visually know what is the right amount. Go lighter first and then you can always add more later. It's no fun over seasoning stuff.)

3. If after you add the spices your onions and pan are getting dry, add more oil.

4. Once onions are translucent, add both cans of beans and juice or the beans you cooked from your crockpot with enough liquid to cook them in, but not so much that they are completely covered.

5. Cover and bring to a boil, occasionally stirring.  Once boiling, uncover and cook on medium heat until you have boiled off a good amount of the liquid.

6. Take bean smasher and smash the beans to your desired consistency.  I like mine smooth. If they are too runny, just allow them to cook off some of the water a little longer.

Use them for burritos, taco salad, huevos rancheros, etc. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:52:56 PM by Villarrealized »

TypicalVillain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2015, 02:05:29 AM »
I'm amazed with all these awesome recipes! I will add another one I've enjoyed recently. Brown rice "jambalaya-ish." SO GOOD. I used this recipe, skipped the seafood cause I'm lazy, and added white beans:

http://food52.com/recipes/10517-brown-rice-jambalaya-ish

eccdogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
I make one pot of dried beans a week and then figure out how to use them

Made a pot of Blackeyed Peas this week.

Meal 1 Blackeyed Pea Curry

Heat oil in pan (2-3 tbsp)
Saute minced Garlic (2-3 cloves), Ginger (about a 1/4-1/2 inch) for about one minute (hot peppers dried or fresh would go well here to but my kids won't eat)
Add one whole diced Onion and continutue to saute
Sprinkle cumin and corriander over about a table spoon of each plus some curry powder (could add cayenne pepper for some kick here as well)
Add three roma tomatoes peeled and seeded and saute till softish
The finally add 4 cups cooked Blackeyed Peas + cooking liquid.  Simmer for 5-10 minutes or longer.

+ Salad and Orange for dessert.

Leftovers for lunch

Serve over rice.

Meal Two: Southern 3 vegtable plate.

Season peas with oil onions and garlic and reheated
Ate over mashed potatoes with steamed broccoli and strawberries for dessert

Leftovers for lunch

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
Just made this one this week and it was lovely:

http://www.food.com/recipe/cuban-black-beans-233154
Cuban Black Beans

I served over brown rice and then mixed it all together in one pot for leftovers - it just got better the next day.

El Marinero

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »
My family is Cajun, so we had red beans and rice quite often!

Years ago,  a Cajun girl taught me both the recipe and the verse that goes with it.

I love you once, I love you twice
I love you more than beans and rice

This thread is making me hungry.

Matt J

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2015, 09:02:04 PM »
I have been working on bean ideas for awhile, great thread.

My work favorite right now is a can of black beans and a can of rotel, cheddar if I have it,
drain the water, mix together and microwave until its hot, and it can be eaten with a spoon or with tortilla chips.

I may have to figure out how to (conventiently) add some rice to the mix.

jj20051

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2015, 08:57:44 PM »
@TypicalVillain - Read your directions. Do you have to cook the rice some how before hand? I'm new to using rice in anything so it seems like it'd remain hard just frying it :P

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2015, 01:57:01 AM »
I'm not TypicalVillian, but the recipe has more than enough water and tomato liquid to cook down the rice. My guess is that you would NOT use pre cooked rice or else the recipe would call for way less water and tomato liquid. 

TypicalVillain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »
@TypicalVillain - Read your directions. Do you have to cook the rice some how before hand? I'm new to using rice in anything so it seems like it'd remain hard just frying it :P
Don't precook the rice as long as you're using some kind of white rice. If you're using brown rice you will have to precook it for at least 20-30 minutes.

Ariane524

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
Mine is more "beans and beans" but it makes a great Mediterranean style entree or side dish:

One can each of black, red, and garbanzo beans
1/2 red onion or 3 scallions, finely diced
2 Tbsp olive tapenade (or chopped-up olives)
Handful of sundried tomatoes, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup Italian style dressing
1 Tbsp vinegar (cider or wine vinegar)
A couple "shakes" of Italian seasoning blend
Salt to taste

Drain and rinse the beans (I just dumped them all into a colander and washed them off). 
Add remainder of veggies
Add dressing and stir well
If needed, add acidity with the vinegar and/or a quick squeeze of lemon juice
Add Italian seasoning and salt to taste.
Cover and put into the fridge for at least 2 hours.  Even better the next day.

I took this to a party and not only was it a great hit, but we had leftovers for days.  The final day (by which point the beans were *soooo* yummy from marinating all week), I dumped a can of tuna into it and took it to work for lunch.  Definitely made of win.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 08:38:13 PM »
I make one pot of dried beans a week and then figure out how to use them

Brilliant, eccdogg. Kind of a take care of the beans and the rest will follow. Going to try that approach next week.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2015, 09:40:38 AM »
Just printed this thread... It's going in my recipe binder! :)

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2015, 03:33:12 AM »
OK - my problem was that I never have all the ingredients for one particular recipe, yet, my cupboards are always full of stuff I need to use. Going to the store for this spice or this herb cuts into savings.

So, I read all recipes I could find, the challenge being to come up with a "flexible" recipe that I can adapt and that I know I will like each time.

I think I succeeded! My first version tasted more than good enough, and I can improve further.

Here's what I did.

I had some sausage (pack of pork chipolatas), and managed to find black beans (cooked, in a carton) at Sainsbury's here in London.

I grabbed a non-stick pot like this one: http://rpimportsllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/18-QT.-ALUMINUM-NON-STICK-POT-GRAY.jpg

On low-medium heat, first, I browned the sausages in a little bit of oil, and transferred to a plate.

Then, I threw a chopped onion and 4 chopped garlic cloves into the pot, made it all sweat while stirring with a wooden spoon to get the stuck bits at the bottom of the pot back into the mix.

Turned down to low heat; I added 1 cup of rice, mixed it in to coat each grain really well. stirred for about a minute.

Threw in 400ml (little more than a cup and a half) or veg stock using a cube. Any stock would have done. I also added a can of chopped tomatoes, 2 bay leaves, a dried chilli pepper than I found in the cupboard, salt and pepper. Shook the rest of a bottle of strong tabasco sauce I had in the fridge. Brought the heat up a tiny bit to bring to a boil.

[AT THIS POINT, I SHOULD have added herbs and spices, but unfortunately I am renovating the flat soon-ish so almost all the dried stuff is packed away. I think coriander (aka cilantro), celeri salt or maybe even old bay seasoning would have been good, also paprika, cumin etc. That will be for next time for me but you should experiment]

Set to low heat, covered and waited for the liquid to be almost absorbed. I stirred twice to make sure it wouldn't stick.

I then cut the sausage into pieces, and added that along with two cartons (equivalent to a can) of black beans (rinsed and drained in a colander) to the rice, fluffed it all up with the spoon, covered, set the fire to the lowest possible level, and waited 2 minutes. Then, shut the range, stirred again, and covered for about 5 minutes.

Voila! It was great! Bit of heat, with the dried chilli incl seeds, tabasco and garlic.

And it could be further improved - I could try a different type of beans, definitely need to season more, add herbs, etc. But I will keep doing the following:
- cook my protein separately, if I use any
- coat and heat up the rice in oil and onions, garlic
- cook the rice in broth, and preferably chopped tomatoes as well (with their juice)
- add my (cooked) beans and proteins towards the end only

Other than that it's really flexible, so as long as I have beans, chopped tomatoes (always have a supply of those) and rice I know I can make something decent.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:12:14 AM by mveill1 »

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2015, 09:33:55 AM »
My secret flavoring is Sazon Goya with culantro and achiote. It comes in little packets and is magical.

I tried this stuff for the first time this week (staying at a Cuban airbnb in Miami) and I was pleased. Usually I'm suspicious of flavour packets and stock cubes, but this made for a good fast "refried" black bean thing.

Another short-cutty product like that is Knorr chipotle stock cubes, which are surprisingly good in a pot of beans or crumbled into fried potatoes with some paprika.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »
I've been cooking rice and beans/peas a lot lately, as it's so convenient to make in the rice cooker, then freeze in single portions and grab to take for lunch at work.  I don't have an exact recipe, but my basic strategy is:

1-2 cups of white or brown rice (I tend to alternate between the two, so there's always a selection in the freezer)

1/2 cup of yellow split peas, or the small red lentils (because they cook in the same amount of time as the rice) and/or 1/2 - 1 cup of bean curd and/or lima beans

Veg from my fridge/freezer that needs to be used - could be greens, cabbage, broccoli (can end up a little overdone, but ok), carrots, corn, peas, peppers, etc

Flavourings to suit the combo and my taste - I open the cupboard and add a pinch of this, a splash of that!  Could be:
1.  White rice, yellow peas, bean curd, broccoli and shredded carrots, with a little bit of dry mustard, ginger, some rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar.  Soy sauce at the table is optional.
2.  Brown rice, red lentils, cabbage and corn, with some chili powder and cumin, splash of hot sauce, drop or two of liquid smoke, and something tomatey, such as the dregs of a can of tomato sauce, a tablespoon or two of tomato paste or dollop of salsa - even used some non-V8 juice that I didn't much like, to finish it up.

The possibilities are endless!

Oh, one other idea.  Recently found an old package of broccoli cheddar rice in the cupboard, so I added extra rice and broccoli, and threw it in the rice cooker.  Could add yellow peas for the protein.  I also occasionally buy boil-in-bag Indian style bean dishes when they are on sale, but they're more sauce than beans, so I add extra beans to them, and serve them over rice.  A fairly cheap way to get the sauce, rather than paying 3-4 dollars for a jar of it.

AliInKY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2015, 09:39:58 PM »
Following...

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Following also

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
My kids love this:

Honey Baked Lentils

1 cup lentils (any kind)
2 cups water
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp ground or fresh ginger
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients and bake for 45-60 minutes. You can add in extras like carrots, butternut squash, or sweet potatoes.

No-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2015, 11:46:20 PM »
Recipes look great! I'll try to add some soon.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2015, 04:09:57 AM »
Following...

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2015, 12:13:21 PM »
I do a lot of rice n' beans as a plant based eater. Since I have a demanding job and toddlers I keep it pretty simple and ultra quick to prepare.

Brown basmati rice (pre-cooked in a rice cooker)
Canned Black or Red beans (organic, cause I can handle the .30 a can premium)
Whatever organic salad greens are on sale
Verde salsa

I throw a handful of the greens in the bottom of a large microwaveable bowl, cup of rice on top, half a can of beans on top of that. Microwave for 90 seconds. The greens will wilt down. Pour verde on top and stir. Boom.

Modifications to this, I will add avocado if I have it (fat makes it a little heartier). I will add cilantro if I have it. This also goes good in a soft taco which is what I had for dinner last night!

I've also added sweet potatoes which is pretty interesting as well.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2015, 07:12:31 PM »
Mine vary wildly, but New Orleans red beans and rice and Hoppin' John feature prominently. The red beans I usually put in a little smoked sausage along with the spices for flavor, and the Hoppin john is made with blackeyed peas, not beans, and, usually, rotel. Both should be done with fresh or dried beans/peas, not canned. Totally different dishes if you use canned, and not in a good way.

For another direction altogether, black beans cooked with a little lime and onion, rice, and just a little sour cream (or plain yogurt) make a bonzo burrito. I've found this is more forgiving of canned beans.

All of these are better and healthier with brown rice than white.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »
Again, not a recipe, but I just started adding Korean kochujang (fermented chili paste) to my black beans, and holy crap, it's awesome. Adds a big umami/pepper "bottom".  I now totally understand why Korean/Mexican was the first gourmet food truck mashup.

expectopatronum

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2015, 12:52:58 PM »
Red beans & rice
OK OK, I know red beans & rice has been well covered already, but I made this last week and it was awesome!recipe from my Cook's Illustrated cookbook, can be found at http://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-illustrated-red-beans-and-rice-407651 too.

stuff-
1 lb red beans
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped & seeded
1 can chicken broth*
6c water
8 oz sausage**
white rice

spices etc-
3 garlic cloves, minced
1t fresh thyme***
1t paprika
2 bay leaves
1/4t cayenne pepper
black pepper
1t red wine vinegar
salt to taste at the end

Directions:
  • Cook, drain, and rinse beans. You can do a quick soak by bringing to a boil in salt water, covering, removing from heat, letting sit for 1h...for those of us that forget to soak beans.
  • Heat bacon in large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and almost fully rendered, 5-8 minutes. Add onion, green pepper, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 6-7 minutes.
  • Stir in garlic, thyme, paprika, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, and 1/4 tsp black pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  • Stir in beans, broth, and water; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and vigorously simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are just soft and liquid begins to thicken, 45-60 minutes. (You want the simmer to be a low boil, basically. Test a bean every 20min after the first 45)
  • Stir in sausage and 1 teaspoons red wine vinegar, and cook until liquid is thick and beans are fully tender and creamy, about 30 minutes. (I start the rice once I start this final step so they're ready at the same time)
  • Season to taste with salt, black pepper, additional red wine vinegar. Serve over rice, sprinkling with scallions and passing hot sauce separately, if desired.

*They say 3c. I did fine with one 14.5oz can.
**Use any sausage you please.
***Eh, I just dumped in ground thyme
****Scallions can be added for fancypants garnishing.
We didn't have any celery or green pepper. I left them out instead of running to the store. Still great.

Great with Tabasco. Cheap meal. Made about 6 heaping servings. Don't be scared by ingredient list; most of the spices are things easily kept on hand. Another great thing: if you have a Dutch oven, you can cook almost the whole meal in the one pot! (One addtl pan for cooking sausage was used, and rice cooker too) It *did* take me 2.5-3hrs start to finish, because I didn't soak/cook beans, but most was very hands-off.

Hoppin' John
Traditionally our New Year's dish. It gets made a few times a year because it's so cheap, reheats well, loves Tabasco sauce, and I like black eyed peas. It's almost the same recipe as above, but with ham hocks instead of bacon, and black eyed peas instead of red beans. Be careful not to cook the peas to mush (though it'll be good either way). They don't take as long as other beans to cook, so the dish takes less time. Great with cornbread and spinach on the side.

Ingredients
1T olive oil
1 lg ham hock
1 med onion, chopped
1/2c celery, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1lb black eyed peas (soak and rinse, or do the 30min quick soak)
1qt chicken stock
Bay leaf
1t dried thyme
salt, black pepper, cayenne
white rice

Directions
  • Heat oil in dutch oven, add ham hock, sear on all sides
  • Add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic
  • Add peas, stock, spices. Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer for 40min or until peas are creamy & tender, stirring occasionally. If liquid evaporates, add more chicken stock or water.
  • Season further to taste and garnish w/green onions. Serve over rice. (May want to take bones out of ham hock before serving)

Gallo Pinto
Costa Rican dish we fell in love with on our honeymoon. :) Haven't tried this recipe yet though....just putting out the idea. Found at http://www.food.com/recipe/gallo-pinto-costa-rican-rice-and-beans-78747

Ingredients
2T oil
1 med onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2c cooked black beans, drained & rinsed
3c cooked white rice
1t gr cumin
1t gr coriander
1/2t gr ginger
2-3 worcestershire sauce
S&P to taste

Directions
  • Heat oil in lg skillet over high. Add onion, saute until it softens & colors, for about 5min. Add garlic and saute, careful not to burn.
  • Add spices & Worsty sauce, stir into onion/garlic
  • Add beans & rice. Combine evenly, cook until heated through
  • Add S&P to taste, garnish w/cilantro if desired

Vwjedi76

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »
3 cups cooked white beans (or three cans, drained and rinsed)
2 cans Italian style diced tomatoes (tomatoes with basil, oregano)

Mix and heat. Eat. Yummy. Our version of "fast food"

Can top with Parmesan, mozzarella or grilled chicken if you want to get fancy. We sometimes add a can of mushrooms.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »
Glad I found this thread.  Every recipe I have tried in the past was blasé or worse, but the ones you,guys are sharing sound great.  Thanks.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2015, 03:26:27 AM »
"Baked Limas" recipe from my Great-Aunt Sylvia's recipe box; I use canned Great Northern Beans and skip the bacon.

Baked Limas

Cook until tender:
1 medium chopped onion
6 slices bacon, diced

Mix in buttered casserole with:
2 - 15 oz cans lima beans, drained
2 T chili sauce
1 t dry mustard
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper

Then pour over beans:
1/4 c maple sirup

Bake in moderate oven, 375 degrees, 45 min.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2015, 08:52:22 PM »
Here's a red beans & rice recipe that I've shared tons of times, and it's always gotten good reviews. We make it on a regular basis.

The notes are all made by my friend who gave me the recipe, and he definitely likes things on the spicy side. We head more towards mild so that our kids can also eat it (we don't use spicy sausage, or add red pepper or hot sauce at the end).
Makes a bunch, and tastes better on day two or three, as is the case with most stews/soups/chili type things.

Enjoy.

Johnny K's Red Beans & Rice

1 package smoked link sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces. the spicier, the better.
1 large onion, yellow or white.
3 cans light red kidney beans
1 can dark red kidney beans
garlic, fresh or powder. (fresh is better, of course)
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp oil, olive or other.
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tbsp creole seasoning (or cayenne pepper, if you can't get the real deal).
1/2 tsp celery salt or celery seed.

all seasonings are adjustable to taste. i typically spice the heck out of it, but that's just me.

--brown the sausage in a big pot.
--chop the onion coarsely and add oil and onion. cook it down until mostly translucent.
-- add all spices and stir.
-- add beans and 1 can water.
--bring to a boil. reduce heat. cover and simmer 20-30- mins.
-- mash the beans with a metal spoon. this will thicken it up good. most of the light beans will smush. most of the dark red ones will stay whole.
--add more creole spice or red pepper. it's good when your upper lip sweats or it hurts a little.
--serve over rice.
-- i add hot sauce and yellow mustard (the mustard is weird. i picked it up in New Orleans).

Jarr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
Here's our spicy vegetarian version, which we take to work for lunch every M-F. We've calculated it out at $0.39/serving. Full recipe below and also in this post: http://www.frugalwoods.com/2015/01/23/our-epically-frugal-lunch-recipe/

Ingredients:
Salt
Olive oil
2 cups Basmati rice
4 medium shallots
4 large garlic cloves
1/2 lb Mushrooms
4 tablespoons of Korean or Chinese chili paste
3 15.5 oz cans of black beans

Steps:
-Cook rice
-Chop shallots, garlic, mushrooms and saute with olive oil
-Combine with beans and chili paste and stir
-Yums!

This amount yields 12 servings for us.
I finally got around to trying this recipe over the weekend, it's totally awesome!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2016, 12:23:47 PM »
Don't know if there is interest, but I'm trying to cut my grocery list and so made black beans in a slow cooker using the following recipe, made rice and mixed it together and added sliced tomatoes.

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/cuban-style-black-bean-and-rice-bowls/

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »
Not mine, but still awesome, http://kneadtocook.com/tex-mex-casserole/

We don't bake it, cheese it, chip it or avocado it, but the recipe is great for weekly lunches. An extra cup of rice goes in seemlessly.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:30:57 PM by BackyarBQ »

YoungRetire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
Rice and beans is basically the best meal ever. Here is my standard recipe, what's your variation? Would be cool to see ones that are very different!

Servings: 4-6

Ingredients
  • 1 cup white basmati rice
  • 2 14oz cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained.
  • 1 14oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1-2 jalapeños, chopped (I remove the white interior but keep most of the seeds in. If you don't want it super spicy, remove all the inner stuff!)
  • 2+ garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with knife (don't bother chopping)
  • ~1T vegetable oil or butter
  • ~1tsp cumin
  • ~1tsp smoked paprika
  • feta cheese

Steps:
  • Put oil or butter in pan and let heat up til glistening (oil) or stops bubbling (butter).
  • Add jalopeños and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes
  • Add rice and mix for 1-2 minutes to let it soak the oil.
  • Add cumin and paprika. You may want to experiment with how much to use. Mix for 30 sec. Adding the spices to the oil REALLY brings out the flavor.
  • Pour in tomatoes and water, mix, bring to boil.
  • Reduce to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Afterwards turn off heat, can leave on stove for a while if you need to.
  • Add beans and mix it all up!
  • Serve topped with feta cheese.

Extras I sometimes add to make it fancier: pre-cooked chicken sausages (sliced, add in step 2), sliced avocado and/or cilantro (add at end). I like feta cheese here because I think you need something especially pungent (you can barely taste cheddar if you use it here).

YooHoo ! Beans and rice and rice and beans ! Dave Ramsey all the way baby !

YoungRetire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
Rice and beans is basically the best meal ever. Here is my standard recipe, what's your variation? Would be cool to see ones that are very different!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups water
  • 1-2 jalapeños, chopped (I remove the white interior but keep most of the seeds in. If you don't want it super spicy, remove all the inner stuff!)
  • ~1tsp cumin
  • ~1tsp smoked paprika
  • feta cheese

Steps:
  • Put oil or butter in pan and let heat up til glistening (oil) or stops bubbling (butter).
  • Add cumin and paprika. You may want to experiment with how much to use. Mix for 30 sec. Adding the spices to the oil REALLY brings out the flavor.
  • Reduce to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Afterwards turn off heat, can leave on stove for a while if you need to.

Extras I sometimes add to make it fancier: pre-cooked chicken sausages (sliced, add in step 2), sliced avocado and/or cilantro (add at end). I like feta cheese here because I think you need something especially pungent (you can barely taste cheddar if you use it here).

I am amazed about all of this talk about Beans and Rice and no one on here thanks Dave Ramsey for his recipe for beans and rice and that outcome is " Im Debt Free ! "

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »

Ingredients
  • 2 cups water
  • ~1tsp cumin
  • ~1tsp smoked paprika
  • feta cheese

Steps:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »
Yessssss. I've been looking for more beans & rice recipes for lunches :)

Our favorite Vegan Red Beans & Rice: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/vegan-red-beans-rice/

+ copious amounts of Tabasco. Yum.

acinaps

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »
We like to make "rice bowls" for dinner. It's one of my 7-year-old's favorite meals. Basically you mix together a bowl of brown rice, chickpeas, and copious amounts of your choice of extra ingredients such as:

Diced cucumber
Shredded carrots
Hard boiled eggs
Avocado chunks
Diced red onion
Scallions
Sunflower seeds
Olives
Etc.

I like to top it off with some vinaigrette. The kid just likes salt on hers.

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »
Mexican/spicy rice...at my house it's all about the el pato sauce...use 3/4 to a full can, yum!

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »
Mexican/spicy rice...at my house it's all about the el pato sauce...use 3/4 to a full can, yum!

El Pato sauce makes everything better.

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2016, 06:59:59 PM »
My favourite is French green lentils (nice and earthy) with lots of salt and pepper. Have them with a stickier rice for interesting texture play.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2016, 09:34:45 AM »
We like to make "rice bowls" for dinner. It's one of my 7-year-old's favorite meals. Basically you mix together a bowl of brown rice, chickpeas, and copious amounts of your choice of extra ingredients such as:

Diced cucumber
Shredded carrots
Hard boiled eggs
Avocado chunks
Diced red onion
Scallions
Sunflower seeds
Olives
Etc.

I like to top it off with some vinaigrette. The kid just likes salt on hers.

Oooh I like this idea. Thanks!

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2016, 10:29:59 AM »
A local restaurant (now sadly closed) had an awesome take on rice & beans called "Cornbread Supreme. " While it sounds plain,  this dish is WAY more than the sum of its parts:

Cooked seasoned pinto beans (not mashed or refried)
Fresh cornbread
Steamed carrots, broccoli and cauliflower
Grated cheddar cheese
Salsa
Garlic butter

Put garlic butter on the cornbread and top with beans and steamed veggies.  Top with cheese and microwave or broil till cheese is melted. Serve with salsa.

We've also found that we like beans and grits as well as rice and beans.