Author Topic: Rice and beans - share your recipe  (Read 59451 times)

TypicalVillain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Rice and beans - share your recipe
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:25:38 AM »
Rice and beans is basically the best meal ever. Here is my standard recipe, what's your variation? Would be cool to see ones that are very different!

Servings: 4-6

Ingredients
  • 1 cup white basmati rice
  • 2 14oz cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained.
  • 1 14oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1-2 jalapeños, chopped (I remove the white interior but keep most of the seeds in. If you don't want it super spicy, remove all the inner stuff!)
  • 2+ garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with knife (don't bother chopping)
  • ~1T vegetable oil or butter
  • ~1tsp cumin
  • ~1tsp smoked paprika
  • feta cheese

Steps:
  • Put oil or butter in pan and let heat up til glistening (oil) or stops bubbling (butter).
  • Add jalopeños and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes
  • Add rice and mix for 1-2 minutes to let it soak the oil.
  • Add cumin and paprika. You may want to experiment with how much to use. Mix for 30 sec. Adding the spices to the oil REALLY brings out the flavor.
  • Pour in tomatoes and water, mix, bring to boil.
  • Reduce to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Afterwards turn off heat, can leave on stove for a while if you need to.
  • Add beans and mix it all up!
  • Serve topped with feta cheese.

Extras I sometimes add to make it fancier: pre-cooked chicken sausages (sliced, add in step 2), sliced avocado and/or cilantro (add at end). I like feta cheese here because I think you need something especially pungent (you can barely taste cheddar if you use it here).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:31:34 PM by TypicalVillain »

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Rice and beans - share your recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 01:23:08 AM »
This is an awesome idea! I've been playing with variations on this basic recipe that I just got off google: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quick-black-beans-and-rice/

... but having trouble getting good black beans in my corned of the UK  (other than delivered, which I don't do), I've had to settle for unsatisfactory variations. I'm never sure that what I make is "good", or as good as it's supposed to be.

Thanks for starting the thread. Sorry I don't have more to contribute

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 03:22:54 AM »
This is an awesome idea! I've been playing with variations on this basic recipe that I just got off google: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quick-black-beans-and-rice/

... but having trouble getting good black beans in my corned of the UK  (other than delivered, which I don't do), I've had to settle for unsatisfactory variations. I'm never sure that what I make is "good", or as good as it's supposed to be.

Thanks for starting the thread. Sorry I don't have more to contribute

In New Zealand in their dried form, they are sometimes called turtle beans, is there a chance the same is true in the UK?

Duchess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 04:15:44 AM »
In New Zealand in their dried form, they are sometimes called turtle beans, is there a chance the same is true in the UK?

Hmmmm, I've only seen them as black beans in the UK. I've found them more often in farm shops and delis than in supermarkets but only usually the canned versions. It would be good to find a reliable and economical source of dried black beans.

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:31:12 AM »

Hmmmm, I've only seen them as black beans in the UK. I've found them more often in farm shops and delis than in supermarkets but only usually the canned versions. It would be good to find a reliable and economical source of dried black beans.

Saw a bag of dried ones in Sainsbury's. Once. I'm sure one can have it delivered but it's silly to pay costs. If I was a regular at a mexican restaurant I'd ask the guy, but I'm not.

Other than that, you have to settle for an Old El Paso (or something similar) job.

So I'll try other recipes that require other types of beans, though black is my favorite. Jamaican rice and peas is very doable here in the UK, as is anything with pinto, black eyed, etc.

Watch this space.

willow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:58:27 AM »
Here's one passed down from my grandmother. I probably eat rice and beans at least twice a week.

1 cup white rice
Salt to taste
2.5 cups of water, bring to a boil, immediately bring to simmer, cover till water is mostly gone

1 can of pinto beans(i usually buy canned with onions, but you can obviously buy fresh and just make sure to add onions yourself)
4oz of tomato sauce(I usually buy it pre-seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano)
2 tbs of minced garlic
1 packet of Goya product Jamon(can substitute bacon for this)
1 packet of Goya product Sazon con culantro y achiote(coriander and annatto, international section of most stores has these products)
1/8 cup of Goya product Recaito
2 tbsp of chili powder
1/2 tbsp of oregano
Cayenne pepper to taste

This is my "share with friends" recipe. Honestly at this point I just add less or more however I see fit. Keeps the taste slightly different every time and I don't get bored of them.

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:33:54 AM »
It's my own random concoction, but super yummy---

Cook some Kale--add vinegar, garlic, and salt and boil it
When kale almost done: add in Fried Beef/turkey bacon and a 1-2 cans of kidney beans

Serve over rice

Bacon makes everything yummy

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »
Oooh, lots of new recipes to try!  Here's my go-to. 

Make 2 batches of (non)refried beans in pressure cooker using the beans portion of this recipe: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/fresh-make-the-7-layer-dip-from-scratch/  For those that have trouble finding black beans, this recipe uses dried kidney beans. 

Make 1.5 batches of this Mexican rice recipe (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-rice-ii/) with the following modifications.  Use a whole onion, add a 15oz can of diced tomatoes (the ones with garlic and onion are good), vegetarian broth to keep it vegetarian, and use converted (aka parboiled) rice for a lower GI index. 

1 cup beans + 1 cup rice slowheated in my mini crockpot at work = a HUGE filling lunch that is warm and not dried out at all. 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »
My SIL's Great Baked Beans:

A couple of slices of bacon or equivalent in bacon grease
1 onion chopped
Two cups dry white beans cooked in slow cooker or pressure cooker
1/4 C ketchup
1/4 C br sugar
salt to taste

Fry bacon or melt bacon grease.  Caramelize onion in fat.  Add all other ingredients.  Bake at 350 for an hour or so until brown on top.  Wonderful on brown rice or as bean sandwiches.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 06:51:15 PM »
I don't have a full recipe to contribute, but if you use a recipe where you sweat aromatics and then add the other stuff, I suggest frying any tomato paste you use after the aromatics are started and before you add wet stuff. Adds a huge depth of flavour. You might have to up the amount of grease you use a little (so it's a win-win).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 07:28:44 PM »
Following. These are always good to have on the "back burner" so to speak. Had to use this a lot to get through college.

I basically used a variation of this: http://greenvalleykitchen.com/rice-black-bean-casserole/  It works with pretty much any veggies you have. I did frozen corn and peas a lot. I never tried zucchini though. Just pay attention to your ingredients- this can end up very soupy with some veggie mixes. Always edible though.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
I made Budget Bytes' white beans and sausage recipe and put it over rice.  SO.  GOOD.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/01/white-beans-tomato-sausage/

willow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »
Here's one passed down from my grandmother. I probably eat rice and beans at least twice a week.

1 cup white rice
Salt to taste
2.5 cups of water, bring to a boil, immediately bring to simmer, cover till water is mostly gone

1 can of pinto beans(i usually buy canned with onions, but you can obviously buy fresh and just make sure to add onions yourself)
4oz of tomato sauce(I usually buy it pre-seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano)
2 tbs of minced garlic
1 packet of Goya product Jamon(can substitute bacon for this)
1 packet of Goya product Sazon con culantro y achiote(coriander and annatto, international section of most stores has these products)
1/8 cup of Goya product Recaito
2 tbsp of chili powder
1/2 tbsp of oregano
Cayenne pepper to taste

This is my "share with friends" recipe. Honestly at this point I just add less or more however I see fit. Keeps the taste slightly different every time and I don't get bored of them.

I would have to take a wild guess and say your grandma was of Caribbean decent - Puertorican maybe??

There are many variations of the typical "Arroz con Habichuelas"(rice with beans), which is what we have here. Another thing you can do is mix the rice along with the beans in the same pot to make what puertoricans call "arroz amarillo" or "yellow rice". 

You can also add chicken to the pot as the beans/veggies/sauce is cooking and have "arroz con pollo'(rice with chicken).   

Another one is to substitute the beans - when making the yellow rice - for what we call "gandulez"(pigeon peas). This adds a deep smoky flavor in my opinion and its a stable of holiday cooking in Puerto Rico. Finally, if you want to be adventurous, you can look for green bananas(yes completely green ones) and using a grader to "hand puree" the banana, you can add it to the mix. This definitely gives you a smoky, earthy flavor which my wife loves. She is pure caucasian but loves Puertorican food, so this is an easy go to meal on the weekends.

If interested in learning about caribbean cooking, please visit Goya.com   They have an extensive recipe library with lots of good dishes.

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/arroz-con-gandules

You would be correct!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 06:28:55 PM »
Following--especially interested in vegetarian recipes.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 06:51:45 PM »
No recipes per se - but here you go...

Red Beans & Rice
Red beans, cooked white rice, cooked hamburger meat, onions, garlic to taste, brown beef gravy mix, water, garlic salt, season salt, Worcestershire sauce.

YRB
Yellow Rice & White Beans (we use Northern), onion, garlic, butter, season to your taste.  Have made this also by adding a small pork chop leftover that was chopped into tiny bit size pieces and also at other times we just use chicken.  Fine w/o meat though.

No rice but still good....
Italian Salad
Make a salad, drain a can of cannelloni beans & a can of tuna & dump on top of salad, salt, pepper, your favorite dressing.  Nice lite lunch.

Make Your Own Rice-A-Roni
Rice, Spaghetti, seasonings, butter.  If I do this I usually add a small handful of frozen peas & carrots just to add color and then sometimes also add leftover meat.  Depended on how broke we were back in the day.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:59:06 PM by KD »

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 10:06:10 AM »
Not really a recipe, but one awesome variation that I like to do is black beans & brown rice with mushrooms & onion sauteed in garlic. This is amazing with some parmesan cheese.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »
Here's my favorite recipe (from Florida's oldest restaurant), though I modify the salt and have it with brown rice:

1 lb. black beans
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
2 qt. water
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. oregano
3 finely chopped med. onions
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 green peppers, cut in strips
1 tbsp. salt

Wash beans and soak overnight in 2 quarts water. Pour beans into 4 quart soup kettle and boil in same soaking water. Cover and cook on medium heat. In skillet, saute onions and green peppers in olive oil until light golden. Add crushed oregano, bay leaf, cumin and minced garlic. Add to beans, stirring well. Add salt and pepper and cook slowly until beans are tender. Serve over white rice and top with chopped onion. Serves 4.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 08:43:21 PM »
So this is a sauce for rice and beans. I prefer it in a tortilla. Amazing! One of the big reasons I miss Oregon is Cafe Yumm, but this recipe about nails it.

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/2639609-The-Original-Yumm-Bowl

I freeze extra, but in my house even extra doesn't stick around too long.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 05:20:32 AM »
So this is a sauce for rice and beans. I prefer it in a tortilla. Amazing! One of the big reasons I miss Oregon is Cafe Yumm, but this recipe about nails it.

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/2639609-The-Original-Yumm-Bowl

I freeze extra, but in my house even extra doesn't stick around too long.

This looks great!

cacaoheart

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 07:13:30 AM »
It would be good to find a reliable and economical source of dried black beans.

I would try an indian grocery store. They have many types of dry beans in bulk where I am in North Carolina, all for less than $1 per pound, which is less than half what I'd pay at other stores including amazon or costco.

My basic master recipe is:
2 cups jasmine rice ($17 for 25 pounds at costco)
2 cups lentils or most any other bean
8 cups water
half a cup of pepper flakes
1 head garlic, crushed
2 large yellow onions, diced
2 Tablespoon peanut or olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

Throw into pressure cooker at 15psi, hold pressure for 10 minutes over low heat, then let slowly cool until pressure goes down. I've found that using a pressure cooker works better than our rice cooker because we end up with no rice sticking to the bottom.

The above forms a base that lasts for several days and my wife and I then add whatever we want to it throughout the week, whether it be scrambled eggs, frozen veggies, or soup.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:16:53 AM by cacaoheart »

mack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »
all of these suggestions look so good. I posted this over on the 'what do you make in a pinch?' thread but it's great for here, too.
a can of corn, beans, and tomatoes with rice, spices, and whatever toppings you want.
http://www.yellowtreehouse.com/easy-delicious-mexican-bowls/

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »
No rice but could be served over rice to stretch it out...

St. Louis Beans
1-2 lb. brown beans cooked (depends on the crowd you have to feed, if more than a lb. is needed you may want to add more (maybe double) of the remaining ingredients:
onion & garlic to taste
1 can rotel
1 small can diced green chilies
1 pkg. REAL bacon bits
cumin
season salt
garlic salt
dash of worcestershire sauce

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:24:21 PM by KD »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 01:18:54 PM »
Our favourite is from Tammy's Recipes, but her site is having problems right now so I will type it from memory:

Combine:
2 c. cooked rice
2 c. black beans
2 c. grated cheddar
Salt, pepper, cumin to taste, a few drops of hot sauce.

Place 1/2 c. of this filling on the edge of a wrap/burrito and start rolling, fold in both sides, then finish rolling. Place in a 9x13 or rimmed cookie sheet if doubling.

Bake for 25 minutes at 350, till a little brown and crunchy.

Serve with salsa, sour cream, sriracha (for those who want more heat) and cilantro if desired.

They freeze well at the stage before cooking. Wrap individually in foil and freeze in ziploc bags. Reheat individually in foil for 30 min or so in oven. Great for those with access to a toaster oven or full sized oven at work.

This is definitely one of our family's favourite meals -- children and teens love it!

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »
Not a Rice and Beans recipe, but just a black bean recipe (I'll often use pinto beans in it as well, if I find them considerably cheaper), one of those foundational recipes that I've made so many times I don't look at the recipe anymore, but rereading it now I find that I do still follow it almost to the letter. It freezes great and is cheaper and much, much better than canned beans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/health/nutrition/09recipehealth.html?_r=0

Only modifications I would add:
I do a quick soak -- bring beans and water to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let sit for an hour.

Salt to Taste =2.25 tsp of normal salt

Cilantro: will add if I have some handy, but, given that I always have everything else in the recipe on hand, I never buy cilantro specifically for this.

Oh, and the most important thing of all -- the beans must, and I do mean MUST, sit for a day in the fridge before it's eaten. The flavor improves enormously after sitting.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:20:39 PM by StetsTerhune »

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 03:37:40 PM »
Following.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 04:21:33 PM »
I have not eaten anything since last night at about 6:30.  This thread is making me soooooooo hungry!!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »
I cook chicken or pork in a pressure cooker with water and jalopenos. I get a very spicy meat brother. The next day I cook black beans with the spicy broth in the pressure cooker and it's killer.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 07:39:05 PM »
I cook chicken or pork in a pressure cooker with water and jalopenos. I get a very spicy meat brother. The next day I cook black beans with the spicy broth in the pressure cooker and it's killer.
What a great idea! What ratio of chicken to jalapeño do you use?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »
Our dinner tonight was Mexican Lentils -- close to a beans and rice meal!

Simmer 1 1/2 c. green/brown lentils in 6 c. of water for 40 minutes along with 2 diced peppers, 3 diced stalks of celery and 1 diced onion.

In a large bowl, combine 2 small cans of tomato paste, 2 cups of cooked rice and 1/2 c. of taco seasoning.  Add cooked lentil mixture. Cut up 4 burritos/wraps into strips and toss that into the mixture. Place in 9x13 pan.

Heat for 15 minutes at 300 degrees. Top with 1-2 cups shredded cheese and cook 15 more minutes.

Serve with salsa, sour cream and sriracha on the side, if desired.

Soooo good!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 09:08:44 PM »
Following as well... need to get that food budget down!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »
This is a very basic recipe from when I was a kid so it may seem odd/weird.... but I swear it's good (at least to me anyway, and the husband who had never had it before loves it)

1 package white beans (northern beans)
1 hamhock
2 cups rice (we use brown now, but white rice is fine)
Ketchup, salt and pepper to taste

Optional: turnip greens, spinach, bok choy, sliced sausage (have added all at one point or another, and it's good)

Soak beans overnight, discard water. Place hamhock in large pot, add in beans and rice and enough water to cover + 1 inch above (may need to add more after rice and beans soak up excess water - check after first hour of cooking). Bring to simmer, stir and add more water if too thick or if anything starts sticking to the bottom of the pot; you want a thick but soupy consistency. Cook until beans/rice are tender (around 2-3 hours on a low simmer). The hamhock is for seasoning while cooking, so discard after rice and beans are finished.

We used to eat them with small amounts of salt and pepper and lots of ketchup, but recently started adding in the optional items above and love the variety.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 06:58:18 AM »
Rice and beans is basically the best meal ever. Here is my standard recipe, what's your variation? Would be cool to see ones that are very different!

Servings: 4-6

Ingredients
  • 1 cup white basmati rice
  • 2 14oz cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained.
  • 1 14oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1-2 jalapeños, chopped (I remove the white interior but keep most of the seeds in. If you don't want it super spicy, remove all the inner stuff!)
  • 2+ garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with knife (don't bother chopping)
  • ~1T vegetable oil or butter
  • ~1tsp cumin
  • ~1tsp smoked paprika
  • feta cheese

Steps:
  • Put oil or butter in pan and let heat up til glistening (oil) or stops bubbling (butter).
  • Add jalopeños and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes
  • Add rice and mix for 1-2 minutes to let it soak the oil.
  • Add cumin and paprika. You may want to experiment with how much to use. Mix for 30 sec. Adding the spices to the oil REALLY brings out the flavor.
  • Pour in tomatoes and water, mix, bring to boil.
  • Reduce to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Afterwards turn off heat, can leave on stove for a while if you need to.
  • Add beans and mix it all up!
  • Serve topped with feta cheese.

Extras I sometimes add to make it fancier: pre-cooked chicken sausages (sliced, add in step 2), sliced avocado and/or cilantro (add at end). I like feta cheese here because I think you need something especially pungent (you can barely taste cheddar if you use it here).

This recipe sounds great. I'm going to give it a try tonight. I love rice and beans. I could eat them every day (and I did, when I spend 3 months in Brazil!) But my wife is not nearly as enthusiastic about them. She is trying to give them another shot, chance, though, since we are trying for another kid and beans are a great source of folate.

startswithhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 06:10:17 PM »
It's Lent in the startswithhome home, so I'll share our version of Egyptian lentils and rice.

1 cup brown/green lentils
1 cup brown rice
5 cups water
pinch each of granulated garlic and cumin
Bring all this to a boil, cover, reduce heat, cook for about 20 min
Add salt to taste, stir
Meanwhile sautee onions until very well done. (I add a pinch of sugar if it's going too slow)
Serve lentil/rice mix and onions with full fat plain yogurt.

SMC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »
Here is my recipe - I make this every Sunday, divide it up into 5 tupperwares, and bring it for my lunch at work each day.  I call it “Beans and Greens”.  This amount is what I do for a week.  If you are less hungry than me you can adjust the portion accordingly.  I like this because its easy to make, filling, healthy, and the total cost for a week is ≈ $10.

“Beans” Component:
•   Ingredients:  You can use whatever you like, but I usually use:  ¾ cup each of chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, and black-eyed beans (3 cups beans total), plus 1.5 cups green lentils, and 1 cup quinoa.
•   Make all of the above as per the instructions on the package.  The package will say to soak overnight in water (except the quinoa, don’t need to soak quinoa), I recommend doing this, it makes them way better.  Don’t need to do overnight but at least 3-4 hours soaking.
•   I make the lentils and quinoa together in 1 pot, and all the beans together in another pot.  The chickpeas take longer, put them on first, then add the other beans after 15-20 mins.  Same with the lentils, bring them to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa.
•   You can make them all plain, but to make it tastier you can add: minced garlic, ginger or chilis, butter, soy sauce, salt, chicken stock etc.  The beans don’t absorb much flavor but the quinoa does, I usually add all of those to my quinoa/lentil pot as its cooking.  Usually the only thing I add to the beans is salt and butter at the end after I drain the water.
•   Once it’s all done drain any excess water, cool, and then dish out into the bottom of your tupperware

“Greens” Compoonent:
•   Ingredients:  2 large or 3 medium broccoli crowns, 1 head bok-choy, plus garlic, ginger and chilis.  (I used to use Kale as well but I stopped because it takes too long to clean it and cut it up.)
•   Put some oil in a wok or large pan and turn it to 7/10 heat level
•   Cut up the broccoli and throw it in  (if you use Kale add it first, a couple minutes before the broccoli, it takes longer)
•   Mince up some garlic, ginger and chilis and throw them in at the same time as the broccoli
•   Cut up the bok choy, and throw it in once the broccoli is about 50% done (after about 5-6 minutes on 7/10 heat)
•   Once the greens are about 80% done (3-4 minutes after adding the bok-choy) add the sauce
o   Sauce : in a 1L measuring cup put 1 cup warm water, 2 spoonfuls flour, 1 tbspn chicken stock powder, lots of salt, a few squirts of fish sauce, hoisin, and hot sauce, and about 1/3 cup soy sauce.  Stir it up with a spoon until it is all mixed and the flour is completely absorbed
•   Add the sauce to the pan, then stir it all together so the sauce coats all the veggies.  If it is too thick add some water.
•   Once it’s done let it cool then put into the Tupperware on top of the beans.  Be careful not to overcook, both broccoli and bok choy can get mushy really easily.  I usually remove the pan from the burner when its about 90% done (still a bit crunchy) and then it cooks the remaining 10% as it cools from the heat of the pan.  Of course depends how you like it; I like the broccoli and bokchoy to be a little bit crunchy but still soft.  Mushy = bad.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »
I love rice and beans! We have two variations that are our go-to:

Black beans and rice (no real recipe here):

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add bell peppers (I like to use a combo of red/green/orange), green chiles, corn, jalapenos, diced tomatoes, or whatever other veggie you like. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Add two cans of black beans (you can drain or not based on how liquidy you like your beans; I normally drain one can). My secret flavoring is Sazon Goya with culantro and achiote. It comes in little packets and is magical. I usually add two packets to this dish as well as some adobo seasoning to taste. Continue to cook on medium heat for another 10-15 minutes. Serve over white rice and garnish with cilantro.

Kidney bean curry with jasmine rice:

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 plum tomato, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large green chili, chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
8 ounce can of tomato sauce or 8 ounces of one of your choice
3 cups boiled red kidney beans or 30 ounces canned red kidney beans, undrained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a deep sauce pan over medium heat for one minute. Add ginger, garlic, onion, green chili, and let cook for one minute. Add the tomato sauce, salt and remaining spices and cook for an additional five minutes, stirring frequently. Add the kidney beans with water or canned red kidney beans (undrained) plus one additional cup of water, and tomatoes. Bring it to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and let cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro.

For jasmine rice:

2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp turmeric
½ Tbsp minced garlic
¼ tsp ground cumin
⅛ tsp cinnamon
1 whole bay leaf
2 Tbsp butter

Heat the butter, turmeric, garlic, cumin, and cinnamon in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir and heat until the butter has melted.

Add the dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes to slightly toast the rice and spices.

Add chicken broth and bay leaf to the pot. Cover and bring the pot to a rolling boil. As soon as it reaches a full boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and let it simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Turn the heat off and let it rest, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

sugarsnap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 08:13:13 PM »
My family likes this taco lentils and rice recipe

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/tacolentilsrice.htm

I use veg broth unread of the bouillon cubes.  I like it in a bowl with salsa and avocado or as a burrito filling or for nachos.

sugarsnap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2015, 08:15:31 PM »
This is an easy quick lentil dal that is good with brown rice

http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/red-lentil-dal/

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2015, 04:32:31 AM »
Thanks for this, I had never heard of this dish before and wanted to try some basic recipes. Funny but we have so much Americsn food but not this one!

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 10:06:09 AM »
My family is Cajun, so we had red beans and rice quite often!

Louisiana Red Beans and Rice

1 lb dry red beans, soaked overnight
ham bone or Andouille(spicy sausage)
Tony Chachere's(Cajun seasoning)
bay leaf
Tabasco or Crystal hot sauce

-Drain your beans and cover them with fresh water, add ham bone if you have one.  Add 2 bay leaves and about 2 Tbsp seasoning.
-Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally.  Add water if it starts to get dry.
-Cook at least 2-4 hours, until beans are tender.  Add sausage an hour before serving.
-Add hot sauce to taste, remove bay leaves, and serve over rice.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 11:43:22 AM »
Makes 4-6 servings

2c instant rice
30ish oz black beans (I use canned)
16 oz corn (I use frozen)
1/2c chopped onion
1 tbs minced garlic (I buy in a jar)
1 oz cliantro (I buy prechopped)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
Squeeze of lime (optional)
Monterrey jack cheese to taste (optional)

Cook the rice.  Microwave the corn if you buy frozen and intend to eat right away.  Saute the chopped onion and garlic in olive oil.  Mix everything together.  I don't put in the lime or the cheese, and eat this plain.  However, the fiance likes it over lime Tostitos.

h2ogal

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
OK, here is something to try WITH your beans and rice!  I made this recipe for Chicken Salsa last week and served with on top of black beans and brown rice.   Family loved it!  Chicken is 1.99/lb at Wegmans, Salsa was on sale 2 for 1.  Yummy and frugal!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/salsa-chicken/detail.aspx

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »
Posting to follow. (I HATE the notifications emails.)

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »
This is a recipe for refried beans that I've been toying with.

One bag dried black beans, soak overnight. Cook as per directions (simmering about 1 hour on low heat).
Once cooked, either scoop the beans with some liquid into a blender. Alternatively (and much faster), ladle out some liquid and use an immersion blender to puree the cooked beans. Season liberally with garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon/lime juice, cayenne.

Once the beans are pureed and seasoned, heat a large skillet with 2-3 tablespoons of oil on medium heat (I like to use reserved beef fat for extra flavor).
Scoop the bean puree into the oil and stir constantly to work in the oil. Drop the heat a little so they don't burn.
Steam will evaporate and the puree will become thicker. When you can run your wooden spoon through the beans and they don't slide back together, they're done.

We eat these over rice, or in burritos and tacos. My favorite is sauteed onions, refried beans, sour cream, cheese and cilantro in a corn tortilla.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 10:06:55 PM »
My secret flavoring is Sazon Goya with culantro and achiote. It comes in little packets and is magical.

+1

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 01:31:47 AM »
I cook rice and quinoa with chicken broth if available.

We used to buy canned beans, but have converted to dry. I am never going back to canned. It is a world of difference, and of course cheaper.

Unlike others in the thread, I do not soak the beans over night. I used to; then I experimented without. I found no difference in taste/texture, and the cook time was also the same. No more soaking for me. To those discouraged at the thought of prepping the night before, you don't have to! A couple hours before eating:

• Infuse water with epazote. (Use a strainer or loose leaf tea infuser. I just threw it into the mix the first time. Mistake. You don't want to eat the pieces.) You can pick up epazote at the Mexican market. Hard to describe the flavor, but it just goes with beans so well. Some claim it helps with gas...
  • Cover the beans with the water + an inch or so
  • Add minced garlic and cumin
  • Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until soft
  • Add salt after cooking

We eat beans and rice solo or:
  • Burrito! add cheese, crema, avocado. Or burrito-in-a-bowl if you want to skip the tortilla.
  • Top with grilled onion and seasonal vegetables
  • Breakfast! add egg, possibly ham or sausage

And for quinoa and beans, again solo or:
  • Mix in curry powder, add sauerkraut, then top with sriracha. I can't explain this combo, but it works for me. (My gf is not a fan)
  • Turn it into a veggie burger! You want more beans than quinoa in this mixture. Mash most of the beans. Add olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, minced onion, paprika, egg and bread crumbs (mashed up toast). Form into patties and hit the cast iron.

OK, here is something to try WITH your beans and rice!  I made this recipe for Chicken Salsa last week and served with on top of black beans and brown rice.   Family loved it!  Chicken is 1.99/lb at Wegmans, Salsa was on sale 2 for 1.  Yummy and frugal!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/salsa-chicken/detail.aspx

We really like chicken salsa too! We use the slow cooker. Toss in the ingredients mid-day while prepping/eating lunch, and it's ready by dinner time!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:43:16 AM by michaelrecycles »

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »
Here's our spicy vegetarian version, which we take to work for lunch every M-F. We've calculated it out at $0.39/serving. Full recipe below and also in this post: http://www.frugalwoods.com/2015/01/23/our-epically-frugal-lunch-recipe/

Ingredients:
Salt
Olive oil
2 cups Basmati rice
4 medium shallots
4 large garlic cloves
1/2 lb Mushrooms
4 tablespoons of Korean or Chinese chili paste
3 15.5 oz cans of black beans

Steps:
-Cook rice
-Chop shallots, garlic, mushrooms and saute with olive oil
-Combine with beans and chili paste and stir
-Yums!

This amount yields 12 servings for us.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »
Just made an awesome kidney beans and rice thing, so I thought I'd share.

One bag red kidney beans
2 cups brown rice
1 sliced smoked sausage (we got a clearance beef brisket sausage)
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomatoes with mild chilies
half cup diced onion
garlic powder/fresh minced garlic to tastes
sriracha sauce (optional, but we loved it)

Add all ingredients to slow cooker, add enough water to cover and simmer on high for 4-6 hours, or until beans are tender. Stir periodically to make sure it isn't sticking on the bottom, and add more water if rice or beans soak up too much.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 06:58:38 AM »
So this started as a chili but is really more like a BBQ pie.  its so good.

smoke a bunch of pork butts.  Pull and put in 1lb freeze bags.

Blend 2 cans black beans with 1 can of tomatoes
additional 4 cans black beans drained rinced
2 -4 cans kidney beans drained rinced
1 cup prepared mustard
1 little can of tomato paste
a bunch of garlic powder, chipotle powder, cumin, thyme, chili powder, fresh ground pepper, and crushed red pepper..

Put it all in a crockpot and let it go on low for a while ... add smoked pork frozen at the end and let it heat thru.  makes it seem like you have a ton of pork with the blended beans when really its mostly beans. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:01:22 AM by boarder42 »

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 07:44:44 AM »
Question--I've just made red beans and brown rice for the first time (trying to learn to cook ... well, learn to not resent the whole concept). It's delicious, but I have LOTS of leftovers. What do I do about the rice going dry? I know I could turn it into fried rice or whatever, but is there any prevention method, or simple solution?

For me the whole benefit of an hour of cooking is that it's my lunches or dinners for a week; if it's going to dry out and be nigh inedible, this isn't the meal for me.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »
Question--I've just made red beans and brown rice for the first time (trying to learn to cook ... well, learn to not resent the whole concept). It's delicious, but I have LOTS of leftovers. What do I do about the rice going dry? I know I could turn it into fried rice or whatever, but is there any prevention method, or simple solution?

For me the whole benefit of an hour of cooking is that it's my lunches or dinners for a week; if it's going to dry out and be nigh inedible, this isn't the meal for me.

For big dinner leftovers, you should cook the rice and beans each in separate pots, so the rice doesn't absorb all the bean liquid in the fridge or freezer.  It should be fine if you fix a small container with rice and beans overnight, just consider adding a little bit of extra liquid beforehand.  If you're reheating a whole pot of beans, just add some water or stock.  It often looks extra dry straight out of the fridge, and softens up as you heat it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!