Author Topic: Replaced Brake Line on Truck  (Read 1610 times)

wkumtrider

• Stubble
Replaced Brake Line on Truck
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota with a little over 202,000 miles.  The other day a brake line ruptured, thank goodness I was in a parking lot.  It was a metal line that transfers fluid to the rear brakes.  I was going to have a shop repair it, but after the quotes I decided to tackle it myself.  Bought a 25' ft roll of brake line tubing for $20, shaped it by hand to match (as best as I could) the shape of the old line and hooked it up.  Bled the brakes everything works.  Removing the old line and installing the new one was a PITA, this line was about 9' long and was tucked up in the side rail of the frame.  I saved about $300 though, and the truck itself is not worth much than that!

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Replaced Brake Line on Truck
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:54:02 AM »
I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota with a little over 202,000 miles.  The other day a brake line ruptured, thank goodness I was in a parking lot.  It was a metal line that transfers fluid to the rear brakes.  I was going to have a shop repair it, but after the quotes I decided to tackle it myself.  Bought a 25' ft roll of brake line tubing for $20, shaped it by hand to match (as best as I could) the shape of the old line and hooked it up.  Bled the brakes everything works.  Removing the old line and installing the new one was a PITA, this line was about 9' long and was tucked up in the side rail of the frame.  I saved about $300 though, and the truck itself is not worth much than that!

Awesome!

I hate working with brake fluid, it is one of the worst (as in poisonous/dangerous) fluids in any given car. So props to you.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
Re: Replaced Brake Line on Truck
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:01:16 PM »
Funny that is all the more time they get now.  I replaced my Ford truck's rear line last year it is a 2001 @ ~190,000.  This weekend I replaced one on a 97 CRV and at the guys garage I borrowed to do the work he moved a 97 Accord and it popped while I was there.   I completed the CRV and told him I would look at his.  The right rear had already been replaced so I fixed the left rear for him while I was there.

I have late 60s and early 70s VWs and they still have the original lines.  Just cost saving measures these days with junk thin line.

By chance are you in the midwest?

wkumtrider

• Stubble
Replaced Brake Line on Truck
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
Funny that is all the more time they get now.  I replaced my Ford truck's rear line last year it is a 2001 @ ~190,000.  This weekend I replaced one on a 97 CRV and at the guys garage I borrowed to do the work he moved a 97 Accord and it popped while I was there.   I completed the CRV and told him I would look at his.  The right rear had already been replaced so I fixed the left rear for him while I was there.

I have late 60s and early 70s VWs and they still have the original lines.  Just cost saving measures these days with junk thin line.

By chance are you in the midwest?

Yup, in the Midwest.  The truck was my daily driver until 2012 when I bought a newer used car.  Now it is my winter vehicle and weekend hauler.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:15:28 PM by wkumtrider »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!