Author Topic: Re-roofed my house  (Read 4824 times)

acrollet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re-roofed my house
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Had a bad hailstorm and the insurance company totaled out my roof and sent a check. I had a high deductible, however, and I would have had to come up with two or three thousand out of pocket to have it done. Took a week and a half of hard work outside my day job, but ended up getting it done for more than two thousand under what the insurance sent  :D

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Re-roofed my house
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:02:42 PM »
Good on you!

Joet

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
holy $hit dude, thats a lot of work. plus it requires a lot of precision flashing/waterproofing/abundunt places to fkuc up. I'm impressed

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:49:46 AM »
Mega badass.

DirtBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:14:30 AM »
I've been mulling this around myself.  My roof is getting old, we live in Fort Worth, TX and we have high deductible insurance as well.  I've done roofing on my dad's buildings when I was in high school (which was long ago).  I was running this by the wife as something that might come up in the near future and I mentioned that I might try to do it myself.  She gave me the "Are you sure you aren't going to bite off more than you can chew?" look.  So, I've been second guessing my position.  You are inspiring me man!  Good Job!

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:17:44 AM »
Had a bad hailstorm and the insurance company totaled out my roof and sent a check. I had a high deductible, however, and I would have had to come up with two or three thousand out of pocket to have it done. Took a week and a half of hard work outside my day job, but ended up getting it done for more than two thousand under what the insurance sent  :D

Now that the job is done, the insurance company may send an additional smaller check too, but you have to show the job is done, say by purchase of materials and pictures, as you won't have a paid invoice to a contractor.  I think it has to do with depreciation.

acrollet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
plus it requires a lot of precision flashing/waterproofing

I used to work as a carpenter, so luckily I already had the knowledge of how to do it right. Just a matter of putting in the work...

acrollet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
I've been mulling this around myself.  My roof is getting old, we live in Fort Worth, TX and we have high deductible insurance as well.  I've done roofing on my dad's buildings when I was in high school (which was long ago).  I was running this by the wife as something that might come up in the near future and I mentioned that I might try to do it myself.  She gave me the "Are you sure you aren't going to bite off more than you can chew?" look.  So, I've been second guessing my position.  You are inspiring me man!  Good Job!

It was definitely a lot of work, I devoted two full saturdays, plus morning and evenings on 6 and a half work-days. I hired a college kid in the neighborhood to help out, and it made a huge difference. Was definitely worth the money spent since I still saved a bundle. Just make sure your wife is on board with the together time you'll miss out and wait for the fall - transpo/hospital bill for heatstroke would cancel out any savings ;)

acrollet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »

Now that the job is done, the insurance company may send an additional smaller check too, but you have to show the job is done, say by purchase of materials and pictures, as you won't have a paid invoice to a contractor.  I think it has to do with depreciation.

Unfortunately I missed out on the depreciation payment by putting off doing the job for too long, but I wasn't thinking about doing it myself until I ran across MMM a couple of months ago, so I saved money overall ;) I will have to provide the materials receipt and inspection report to my new insurance company to prove it was done.

George_PA

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:43 PM »
yeah that makes sense; for my house, one portion of my roof is two stories up.  I am really comfortable on the 1 story high portion, but on the two story portion I start to get a little freaked out looking over the edge.  Anytime I am up their, i.e. cleaning the gutters, I imagine myself falling off and breaking a leg or something like that.

The only way I would shingle the edge of that 2 story high roof is if I was standing on some decent metal scaffolding.

acrollet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
yeah that makes sense; for my house, one portion of my roof is two stories up.  I am really comfortable on the 1 story high portion, but on the two story portion I start to get a little freaked out looking over the edge.  Anytime I am up their, i.e. cleaning the gutters, I imagine myself falling off and breaking a leg or something like that.

The only way I would shingle the edge of that 2 story high roof is if I was standing on some decent metal scaffolding.

I hear ya, I'm always careful on high drops - one thing you can do to increase your comfort level is get a roofer's harness kit, similar to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S89HMQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000S89HMQ&linkCode=as2&tag=thereluhack-20

It's a few bucks, but way less than paying for roofers. (Or hospital bills!)