Author Topic: razor blades that can save your mortgage  (Read 18195 times)

mr_roboto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
razor blades that can save your mortgage
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »
if you haven't heard, aside from the bird, dollar shave club is the word. do it if you are man enough. do it because you are a man.

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/index/r/7xxr/1cfhqn4/s/tx/cx/1/

i have heard good things about this. i just signed up and will update you guys with my experience. and don't worry, i won't go above the lip.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:25:06 PM by mr_roboto »

MountainMan

• Stubble
Re: razor blades that can save your mortgage
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »
Not terribly Mustachian, I'm afraid.

Even the cheapest, $1 + shipping and handling, would come out to at least $4.50 per month at an annual cost of $54.

Whereas, one could buy this bag of 30 razors for $10 at Wal-Mart.  (Or other brands and counts for varying low sums of money.)  http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Razor-Sensitive-Shaver-Value/dp/B004OY990A

I usually make one of these razors last at least two months, if not three.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:04:43 AM »
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I'll one-up you guys again: http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Premium-Platinum-Double-Safety/dp/B001QY8QXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361973611&sr=8-1&keywords=safety+razor+blades

These come in at a little under $0.09/blade.  I use a blade probably 5 times (I use them liberally. I'm sure you could use them a few more without chewing up your face), and I shave once every 3-4 days. So, this 100-count will last me 4-5 years.  This is, of course, after the initial cost of a safety razor handle.

I suppose that's roughly equivalent to the disposable razors, in overall cost... but my method is much more badass looking ;)

theglidd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:14:51 AM »
I just got into using a safety razor. Doing it the old school way is fun. Plus the brush and warm lather feel great on the face.

Here's my first set-up.
http://www.amazon.com/Derby-Extra-Double-Razor-Blades/dp/B004SGKMA0/ref=pd_sbs_bt_1/186-1900967-3233565
http://www.amazon.com/Van-Der-Hagen-Premium-Shave/dp/B001A3HPT0/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-180-Handled-Safety/dp/B000NL0T1G/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_z

I splurged on the safety razor a bit. But I figure I'll get a short return on investment since i was using those Mach 5 blade razors that cost 25 bucks to replace.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:20:06 AM »
I just got into using a safety razor. Doing it the old school way is fun. Plus the brush and warm lather feel great on the face.

Here's my first set-up.
http://www.amazon.com/Derby-Extra-Double-Razor-Blades/dp/B004SGKMA0/ref=pd_sbs_bt_1/186-1900967-3233565
http://www.amazon.com/Van-Der-Hagen-Premium-Shave/dp/B001A3HPT0/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-180-Handled-Safety/dp/B000NL0T1G/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_z

I splurged on the safety razor a bit. But I figure I'll get a short return on investment since i was using those Mach 5 blade razors that cost 25 bucks to replace.

FYI to anyone using a safety razor:  I too started off with the brush and soap method.  I read somewhere about someone using a dab of conditioner (for your hair) and rubbing it all over your beard, to completely replace the soap.  Something about making the beard softer, while simultaneously slicking up your skin.  It seems to give me less overall nicks, though maybe I'm just not skilled enough.  I've been doing it ever since.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:05:43 AM »
If you want to go the DSC route and their equipment, it's far cheaper buying from Dorco directly:

http://www.dorcousa.com/

...or you could just grow a beard and not have any shaving costs at all.

SamV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:12:04 AM »
One thing I don't understand.. if you are going with Safety razors, why do you need to buy brush and soap? You can continue to use the regular foam that you use with other razors. Gillette foam cost $1.56 at Walmart and it lasts me for a year.

mr_roboto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:46 AM »
well i feel sheepish. a terrible sheep that needs to be shorn.

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »
One trick I use to make my blades last MONTHS (and I have very sensitive skin) is to shave as soon as I get out of the steam room at my gym.  I realize not everyone here has a gym with a steam room though. 
The steam softens your hair so much that I dont even use shaving cream.  Usually I'm sweating enough that the blade just glides over my skin really easily and feels amazing.  I started doing this 2 months ago and I'm still on my original 3 blade razor.

Togoshiman

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:47:53 AM »
Ditto the safety razor.  Find a used Merkur on ebay to offset the initial outlay.

unplugged

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:48:39 AM »
My husband is VERY difficult to shop for. He just doesn't seem to want anything except maybe special foods made for him. For Christmas I got him a Mach Turbo something or other and he thinks it's the best thing ever. Seriously he even borrows my hair dryer to dry it every day. Too funny! Ok so this saftey razor and blade deal, is it as nice as the Mach? Does it cut the same? Our anniversary is soon and I would love to get him a gift that he might actually really like LOL.

The OP post, not sure if that's a good deal or not but the commercial was awesome!!!!

jpluncford21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
Anyone ever think of just using something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Dovo-Stainless-Shavette-Straight-Replaceable/dp/B001GMTKCK. With a sharpening belt, I'm betting this is a BIFL purchase...just don't cut your head off ;)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 09:27:34 AM »
One trick I use to make my blades last MONTHS (and I have very sensitive skin) is to shave as soon as I get out of the steam room at my gym.  I realize not everyone here has a gym with a steam room though. 
The steam softens your hair so much that I dont even use shaving cream.  Usually I'm sweating enough that the blade just glides over my skin really easily and feels amazing.  I started doing this 2 months ago and I'm still on my original 3 blade razor.

Yeah.  I get about 6+ months out of a razor blade.  I tend to not shave every single day, so maybe I don't compare well.

theglidd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »

Yeah you don't need to. But I find it fun. And it feels good on the face.

My husband is VERY difficult to shop for. He just doesn't seem to want anything except maybe special foods made for him. For Christmas I got him a Mach Turbo something or other and he thinks it's the best thing ever. Seriously he even borrows my hair dryer to dry it every day. Too funny! Ok so this saftey razor and blade deal, is it as nice as the Mach? Does it cut the same? Our anniversary is soon and I would love to get him a gift that he might actually really like LOL.

The OP post, not sure if that's a good deal or not but the commercial was awesome!!!!

I think the Mach does a great job. But the razors don't last long and they are expensive. The safety razor takes some getting used to, but works pretty well. I found that if I shave right after getting out of the shower and use a good amount of lather the safety razor is on par with the Mach.

CptPoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I play music and stuff
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »
If you like the 5 blade cartridges, try Magnum razors:

http://www.amazon.com/M5-Magnum-razor-Blades-Trimmer/dp/B00404XBM6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1361986118&sr=1-1&keywords=magnum+m5+razor+blades

They are a fraction of the price of name brand and they are nearly identical. I only shave about once a week, and these cartridges each last me months.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »
I don't shave every day, but I can get over a year's supply of high quality razor blades to go with my Merkur.. for about $35-45 Canadian (forget the exact price last time I was there).

Compare that to $12-15 per 4 PACK of Gillette blades (for pretty much every razor) and it seems a good bargain indeed.

I started using a knockoff Gillette safety razor when I was living in China, because the pack of fancy blades cost about 1/20th of my monthly salary there. Ridiculous. I've upgrated my razor and the blades I've used, but I've never looked back.

I get less razor burn / irritation as well, which I think is because you just have 1 blade going over your face as opposed to 5 or 20 or whatever they have in these new fancy razors.

Side bonus: women say it's very manly.

Stachsquatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
This makes me thankful for my Universal Men's Grooming Device and a job that doesn't require I be clean shaven.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:56 AM »

Togoshiman

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 07:47:53 AM »

It's a totally different thing.  He might appreciate the quality of the safety razor and the whole wet shaving experience.  But it's more time and effort, has a learning curve and can be a worse shave at times if you're not skilled at it.  I'd hesitate to go all-in on the start up costs of switching if you're not sure, and especially if he loves the Mach3 that much.  If he loves it, it's probably for different reasons than someone loves a safety razor.  Just my two cents.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »

No worries. At least you started a thread that I'm getting good use out of. I either suck at shaving or have a thick beard. I shave 3-4 days a week and typically dispose of one of those mach 3 blades a week. I bought a huge supply of them over at cost co, so I'm set for a while, but I do wish they lasted longer. When I run out I will consider the other options.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 09:48:43 AM »
I shave 3-4 days a week and typically dispose of one of those mach 3 blades a week. I bought a huge supply of them over at cost co, so I'm set for a while, but I do wish they lasted longer.

I have a thick beard. Among all the tricks for keeping the blades sharp longer, the one that works the best for me was to shave daily. I guess cutting through the thick two day stubble is much harder on the blades than the softer one-day stubble. Obviously more work on your part, but it worked for me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
This thread has inspired me to pick up and try using a safety razor for a while.  Those replacement blades are really cheap!

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »
I shave 3-4 days a week and typically dispose of one of those mach 3 blades a week. I bought a huge supply of them over at cost co, so I'm set for a while, but I do wish they lasted longer.

I have a thick beard. Among all the tricks for keeping the blades sharp longer, the one that works the best for me was to shave daily. I guess cutting through the thick two day stubble is much harder on the blades than the softer one-day stubble. Obviously more work on your part, but it worked for me.

I would shave every day but it was making my face sore. Maybe a good aftershave lotion would help, but then aren't I losing my savings? I'll give shaving more often a try and see if it works better this time.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »
This makes me thankful for my Universal Men's Grooming Device and a job that doesn't require I be clean shaven.

Amen.

Discussing cheap razors is like getting excited about cheap gas. Try biking for a while. You might just find it liberating. ; )

Decent clippers will last for years with proper maintenance. I use a razor for light touch-up work, but haven't changed one in months. Total cost is basically negligible.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
Decent clippers will last for years with proper maintenance. I use a razor for light touch-up work, but haven't changed one in months. Total cost is basically negligible.

Unfortunately, I don't like neck beards, but since my beard grows all the way down to my collar, razors are a part of my daily life. I may be part neanderthal, but we don't talk about that side of the family much.

I would shave every day but it was making my face sore. Maybe a good aftershave lotion would help, but then aren't I losing my savings? I'll give shaving more often a try and see if it works better this time.

I picked up a 200ml bottle of aftershave for $8 at walmart. You only use a drop at a time (put your hand on the top of the bottle, flip it over, flip it back, take your hand away, that wetness left on your hand is all I need. So we're talking several years worth of after shave for $8.

Also, the soap or gel/foam you use, the aggressiveness of the blade, and the sharpness of the blade will all have an effect. Try using a moisturizing soap/foam/gel intended for sensitive skin (if you aren't already). I found it made a big difference.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »
I'm a huge fan on the clippers.  Shave once a week leaving me with a nice course stubble. My wife uses it to do my hair every 2nd or 3rd week. It paid for itself the first  haircut.  That was 3 or 4 years ago now.  When it dies I'll get another.  Maintenance so far has involved using a towel to  brush it off.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »
I have a Merkur razor for my face, clipper for my head (sometimes), and a Headblade for shaving my head.

Razorblades for the Merkur are so cheap it's hard to even think about it as a cost. Clipper have worked fine for ever. Headblade replacements are the most expensive, but still doesn't wear out super fast.

I find using the old fashioned safety razor is cheaper AND gives a superior shave, it's worked out for a lot of people I've recommended it to, but not all.

Neighbor Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »
I've used assorted Gillette razors for years. Currently I'm using the Fusion Pro Glide. My "trick" for keeping the blades sharp is to dry them after EVERY use. I've read online and watched videos regarding how high of quality the blades are and the one thing that dulls them is moisture- not the hair they cut. I keep mine in a medicine cabinet which keeps a bit of the shower humidity away from it and after every use I blow through the blades then dry against my bath towel, repeating about 3 times.

The longest I've used a blade is one year, shaving on average four times per week. My current blade is on about month six. I hope my method helps some or all of you keep your blades longer. I will admit that after awhile the blades are not "surgically sharp" but as long as I take my time shaving I rarely get razor burn or any cuts.

Happy shaving!

The Dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
My "trick" for keeping the blades sharp is to dry them after EVERY use.

The longest I've used a blade is one year, shaving on average four times per week.

Very interesting.  I never knew that moisture could have such an impact. 

I figured I would throw in my story.  When I got married (5 years ago) my gift to my groomsmen was a straight razor shave by an old school barber.  These are very hard to come by now.  Not many people do it any more.  Anyway we went to see Johnny Rush in Ann Arbor; I highly suggest him.  When I got done it was the best shave I have ever had.  The whole experience was like a hetro spa treatment. 

Of course I decided I could replicate this effort.  After copious research I decided on using a safety razor (Merkur HD) and a standard mug, cheap brush, and puck of soap.  I have never looked back; I am getting much better shaves and spending pennies each time. 

PS - If  you think you want to go down this road buy a cheap DE razor and good Blades (I prefer Feather).  THATS IT.  Don't spend a bunch of money in a badger brush and awesome soap; use your same prep just use the new razor.  If you like it spring for a good badger brush and start experimenting with soaps and creams.  This is only if you are doing it for the money savings.  If you are doing it to get the feeling of a good shave follow Kyle's prep below and get a good badger brush (use the shaving cream out of a can for now; again upgrade if you like it). 
PPS - If you get into it I would suggest trying Kyle's Prep it is fairly well know on the shaving forums.  http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/9745-How-to-Pre-Shave-Prep  I do something similar just not as in depth.  But the science behind this one is sound.  I get the best shave I have ever had doing this. 

If anyone wants a little direction on this one let me know.  I love it now. 

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
I have no idea why it took me so long to find this thread :P

Anyway, has anyone thought of going full straight razor instead of safety razors?  I got a fairly cheap one (don't go in for fancy handles and they aren't that bad), and I haven't bought a new razor in 2 years now.  Pair this with cheap soap (I use pucks that I get for $3 and last me about 3 months) and a cheap honing stone (I think mine was $25), and you are done purchasing shaving equipment for life.

Plus they are fun to use :p

The Dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »
Anyway, has anyone thought of going full straight razor instead of safety razors?

The reason I did not do this was because to get a good straight razor costs a little bit of coin.  Also, the jump from cartridge to Safety is a big one; but the jump from Safety to Straight is not so big and has a good size learning curve.  I do want to make the jump eventually but the investment of a good safety razor, strop, and hone were too much for an initial jump. 

As a side note sharpening is not as easy as intuitive as most people think it is.  It is an art to get the correct angle and get an even blade.  This goes for sharpening any edge. 

Sri C.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »
I read all of these safety razor topics online and then look at the recommended razors and feel extremely lucky I was born in India.

I have exactly 10 of these: http://www.etsy.com/listing/101931326/gillette-7-oclock-safety-razor-3-piece

It is stainless steel, made by Gillette and can handle exactly one double blade. It costs INR 50 which is ~$1. So the 10 of the above cost me less than $10.

The blades are these: http://www.shavemyface.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10152/smf~5.jpg

Again, stainless steel, made by Gillette and even with my Asian Indian beard and my patented "Indian blade cleaning secrets" I get to use each blade for 6mo.

A 10 pack of these cost me INR 50 which is, again, ~$1.

Why so cheap? Maybe not upto American levels of quality like the $40 razors. Perhaps they last 10 years instead of 50. Maybe the safety razors in India have radioactive waste in them that is killing me slowly or is subsidized by our government but in either case I don't get why a safety razor has to cost more than a dollar.

Is there a market for me reselling my super cheap, possibly radioactive waste loaded razor and blade sets to forum members?

How about $10 + your choice of shipping for a sample and you can come here and say how it is like?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:08:11 PM by Sri C. »

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 04:24:47 PM »

As a side note sharpening is not as easy as intuitive as most people think it is.  It is an art to get the correct angle and get an even blade.  This goes for sharpening any edge.

Honestly I'm a bit of a blade fanatic so I understand this :p However, straight razors are extremely easy to hone because of their blade geometry.  There is no "correct angle" on a proper straight razor.  Or, more specifically, the proper angle is to hold it perfectly flat on the hone as you do your passes.  This way, you remove metal from the blade egde and the spine at the same rate throughout the process and come away with a blade with the exact same proportions as your started with.  The hardest thing to learn is the amount of pressure to apply (hint: None. None at all.)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »
Another safety razor user here.  I have a couple razors, including one from my birth year (1968) I use most days.  I buy a year's supply of blades for about $30 (I use Gillette 7 O' clock Blacks).  Best shaves of my life.

Mustache Fatty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »
I just wanted to say that I learned something today when I found out that there are "shaving forums."  I like a good shave as much as the next but you've got to be pretty intense about it to seek out and participate in a forum devoted to the topic of shaving!

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 05:32:16 PM »
DE shaving.  I bought a 100 pack of blades for $9.  Astra super plats.

I love DE shaving and my face thanks me.  The initial outlay is higher but there's just something about a classic shave to really set the day.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »
I just wanted to say that I learned something today when I found out that there are "shaving forums."  I like a good shave as much as the next but you've got to be pretty intense about it to seek out and participate in a forum devoted to the topic of shaving!

Guilty!  www.badgerandblade.com  great resource to learn...

The Dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 06:30:53 PM »
Guilty!  www.badgerandblade.com  great resource to learn...

Yup Guilty.  Badger and Blade seems to be the best. 

Basically you can use what we told you hear to get started.  Get a cheap DE razor and some good blades to get started.  The forums are for if you wanted to get deeper into it and really enjoyed it.  The forms go in to way to much detail for the average user.  But they are interesting topics: face/hand/bowl/mug lather ; DE/Straight Razors ; boar/synthetic/badger brushes; size/softness of a brush ; Long/short handle razors; soap/cream ; with/against the grain ; shave prep ; post shave face treatments ; and the list goes on and on. 

Mustache Fatty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
Wow.  I went to that site and there is some serious shaving conversation going on.  For instance, there is a poll up with 79 responses to the question, "Do you think the ambient temperature affects your lather?"  My eyes have been opened.  I never thought twice about shaving.  I actually consider it to be a nuisance.  Thanks for the link.  I am definitely going to explore the finer points of shaving.  If I actually become a contributor to that board and become a full-fledged discussant on the ins and outs of various shaving techniques then I will be surprised---but seriously, thanks for opening my eyes to this issue.     

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 04:23:43 AM »
Wow.  I went to that site and there is some serious shaving conversation going on.  For instance, there is a poll up with 79 responses to the question, "Do you think the ambient temperature affects your lather?"  My eyes have been opened.  I never thought twice about shaving.  I actually consider it to be a nuisance.  Thanks for the link.  I am definitely going to explore the finer points of shaving.  If I actually become a contributor to that board and become a full-fledged discussant on the ins and outs of various shaving techniques then I will be surprised---but seriously, thanks for opening my eyes to this issue.   

Since I switched to DE shaving I look forward to the experience, even shaving on the weekends/vacation, something I would never have done before.  Dude called Mantic has some great videos on You Tube to give you some pointers.

The Dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 06:16:01 AM »
Since I switched to DE shaving I look forward to the experience, even shaving on the weekends/vacation, something I would never have done before.

I agree 100% shaving for me was just part of the routine and something as mundane as washing your face before bed.  After I switched to wet shaving I actually look forward to the shave it is quite awesome.  I have a 5 minute shave which is quite good and a 10 minute shave which is even better. 

My 5 Minute Shave -
1 - While in shower message beard with warm water.
2 - While in shower use shampoo on wet beard and let sit while finishing rest of shower.  Rinse when getting out.  (use this on the stubble too not just longer hairs)
3 - Lather soap/cream mix (I use mainly soap and add a small amount of cream) in mug and apply with badger brush to face.  Use circular strokes go over each area a minimum of 2 times.  I choke up on my brush (fingers into the hair 1 inch from the end) so that the brush is a little more firm. 
4 - Shave with DE razor one swipe on each razor side and rinse. 
5 - Re-Lather.  This time I usually brush it on like a paint brush.  The first time you use the end of the bristles and it "raises" or "stimulates" the hair to stand up straight.  The second time there shouldn't be much hair there so it is just to lube the face for the second pass. 
6 - Repeat step 4.
7 - Rinse face with warm water and pat dry with towel.
8 - Message in Proraso pre/post shave cream to damp face and walk away. 

It seems like a lot but it is really not bad I can do it in 3 minutes if I am in a hurry.  My 10 minute involves everything above; however, after step 3 you apply a steaming hot wet towel to your beard.  Towel should be as hot as you can stand right on top of the lather you applied; apply light pressure to towel and face.  After 3-4 minutes or when the towel loses it's temp you wipe your face clean of cream (with the towel) and start up again at step 3 and complete the remaining steps.  This will be the best shave you have ever had. 

PS - You can do all these steps without any "wet shave" equipment and your shave will still be better.  Basically all those additional steps on top of lather/shave/rinse help to "damage" the hair so it is easier to cut.  It is the same reason why women get a shampoo prior to cutting their hair.  It is better for the hair and makes it easier to cut.  If someone without "wet shave" equipment tries the 10 minute let me know if you think it is any better. 

mgbrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 03:18:40 PM »
I'll admit that I don't grow the longest or toughest beard around, but I shave daily and manage to make a disposable razor last one year.  I'm on my 3rd year.  I buy a package of 2 disposables (not the cheapest kind that come 3 or more to a package) from Dollar Tree, and I start using it on the first day of Spring each year, and throw it away on the last day of winter the following year.  I shave in the shower, usually using only the same soap I use to wash my face (just leave it on) and shave away.  If I skip a day of shaving, or feel the need for luxury, I use a dab of shaving gel which I also buy (for a buck) at the Dollar Tree. 

I would have never believed that you could make a disposable razor last a year, but I read where Clark Howard did it http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/clarks-bargains/clark-reaches-12-month-mark-using-single-disposabl/ncxf/ and I started a few days later. 

I won't vouch for it for everyone, but give it a try...even if you pitch it twice a year or 4 times a year, it's still the cheapest shaving yo'l find.