Author Topic: Put the Oreos down and no one gets hurt...  (Read 2311 times)

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
Put the Oreos down and no one gets hurt...
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:52:23 AM »
Had a funny moment today grocery shopping solo where I picked up a box of Oreos...   We pack school lunches for the kids daily and wifey usually buys a treat to include.    But realized maybe 3 aisles later that we had some better options at home and that i was wasting $4 so I walked back the 3 aisles to put the evil Double-stuffs back.    By then, a store employee was restocking that section so we made eye contact and said "You can have these back ma'am, enjoy!"    Also resisted a $11 pack of chicken breasts and the bacon section (this was near torture!)   Total grocery run for 4 for the week including $20 of soap/pharmacy items was $117.    These runs used to be easily $250 before MMM.

What's your favorite "put the (blank) down and no one got hurt" anti-impulse buying story?

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
Re: Put the Oreos down and no one gets hurt...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:45:20 AM »
I used to never really look at prices on food items I purchased.  Now I break everything down to the price per ounce and go off of that.  Yeah... Generic store brands items taste the same.  I don't know how much I've saved, but I'm sure it's quite a bit!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »
I actually signed up for Community Supported Agriculture boxes that are delivered to my house to severely cut how much time I spend in the grocery store.  All sorts of things find their way into my cart.  The biggest temptation for me is raisin bread.  mmm....

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »
Yesterday I picked up 2 fancy containers of humus at buy-1-get-1 free.   Walking over to the checkout I realized that if I bought my regular store brand at regular price and added my own spices, I would still be paying less per container.   Returned the fancy humus and saved $.20... seems slightly silly and I would never have done that pre-MMM.   Its a tiny amount but it all adds up.  I have been easily sticking to new limit of $100/week for family of 4 -- down from $200+