Author Topic: Property tax payment to get minimum spend for credit card signup bonus  (Read 2164 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Property taxes are due, but it will cost me ~$100 to put it on my credit card, and the best I can get with normal points is ~$80 back.

MrsTX was sent an offer for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Spend $4k, get 50k points.* Plus 5k points to add an authorized user. Normally it would take awhile to get $4k spend.

Get new card, pay property taxes with new card. Done.

The math: Gain 50,000 points for spending $4k. 5000 points for adding a user (me). 4500 points for the actual payment. Cost: $100 extra fee. Going by cash value, that's $595 in points, minus $100 in fees. Net a minimum of $495, more if we choose a better redemption option.

And it's a really snazzy looking card.

We should do this every year. :D

*Points can be redeemed so that 50k points is $500 in gift cards, or $625 in travel spend. 

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
Re: Property tax payment to get minimum spend for credit card signup bonus
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:37:32 PM »

I started using property taxes as manufactured spend last year and it worked out great. Gift cards ended up paying for one-third of a new washer/dryer about a month ago.

I also use them for homeowner's insurance (paid yearly) and car insurance (semi-annually).

Trying to figure out which card to do this year since I've churned most of them. Looking like the WF Propel World AmEx for me this time.

The only problem with the Sapphire is that you need tin snips to cut it up when you cancel it. ;)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:50:39 AM »

I started using property taxes as manufactured spend last year and it worked out great. Gift cards ended up paying for one-third of a new washer/dryer about a month ago.

I also use them for homeowner's insurance (paid yearly) and car insurance (semi-annually).

Trying to figure out which card to do this year since I've churned most of them. Looking like the WF Propel World AmEx for me this time.

The only problem with the Sapphire is that you need tin snips to cut it up when you cancel it. ;)

Nah. Welder would work fine. :)

Planning to put our property taxes on a Sapphire this year, though happily the cost is much lower, as are the taxes.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »

Nah. Welder would work fine. :)

I was planning on using a torch if needed. However, if the card's canceled - do I really care?