Author Topic: Planets aligning this month  (Read 2638 times)

tryathlete2011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Planets aligning this month
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »
First of all, found the site about 2 months ago and can't tell you how much it opened my mind to the possibilities. We always had a loose budget but over the years it fell to the wayside and things kind of got out of control. For example, I looked at our food spending for the last year, we averaged $1425 for a family of 4. Ouch.

So about 2 months ago I took a tighter look at our budget and started working on the getting the wife on board. To my surprise it didnt take much work once I started telling her we could be millionaires and retire in less than 10 years. Anyway, my big moment of badassity is that we are on target to save over $5700 this month. When I first started budgeting, I thought 4k would be doable. Then at the beginning of this month I said maybe 5 would be a stretch. We blew past it (assuming the car or AC doesnt blow up in the next couple weeks). Wife had a good month at work and I got a small surprise raise (nearly all of which went to 401k).

Short story long, this site has really opened our eyes about whats possible and whats important to us. And I can't thank you enough.

PS: I billed an additional $1300 in side work this month (not yet paid) and just got approval on another $4000 side gig for the next 6 weeks or so. So things are going well.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Planets aligning this month
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
Ta dao! That's some savings!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »
Yay for you!:) Sometimes all it takes is a little nudge in the right direction and you seem to have the wherewithall to make it all happen! Congrats on a fantastic month and good luck with staying on track every month from now on!

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 04:42:53 PM »

congrats.

you got my hopes up, i was thinking this post was about actual planets aligning and i wasnt aware because i hadnt checked science daily in a while.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »
Me too! Second month of my biggest & best rental being occupied after a long vacancy, and a bunch of other stuff going right too, and I've just turned the corner on a cash crunch and pushed a temporarily anemic SR back over 50%. Next week, $900 in extra income - straight to the stash. Rest of summer, AirBnB bookings and paid leave for ANG duty -> straight to the stash. Time to get rich.

Feels good, doesn't it? :D

BTW
$1425
...a year???

tryathlete2011

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »

$1425
...a year???

Unfortunately no, that was per month including dining out and entirely too much wine. Good wine, but entirely too much.