Author Topic: Pikachu Corolla  (Read 6128 times)

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
Pikachu Corolla
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:50:50 PM »
The clown trucks in the background were also made to haul 2X4s. For small loads like this, I don't even bother with my 4x8 trailer.

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
Re: Pikachu Corolla
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
That looks safe.

Bimmy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »
Watch out for those pesky ultra balls...

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
That looks safe.
Other cars did seem terrified, but the boards actually wedge tight under the front seats, against the rear seats, and in the corner of the window. As air resistance tries to push the ends down, they wedge tigher against these surfaces. I also installed a bungee cord to the grab handle to prevent it from somehow bouncing up out of this pocket.

I did avoid the interstate on the way home though ;).

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
Other cars did seem terrified, but the boards actually wedge tight under the front seats, against the rear seats, and in the corner of the window. As air resistance tries to push the ends down, they wedge tigher against these surfaces. I also installed a bungee cord to the grab handle to prevent it from somehow bouncing up out of this pocket.

This is so wrong in so many level. Absolutely nothing is funny in this activity. I do not consider this sharing your badassity when what you did are highly illegal and dangerous. I think you know this too because you blur out the license plate of your Corolla.

I understand the concept of trying to save money and being frugal, but safety for you and other people around you should be a priority. Are you seriously thinking that air resistance and bungee cord is enough to hold those boards safely? What happen if you hit a pothole or somehow one of those board fly out of the car, and severely injured/killed the driver behind you, or a pedestrian? Would you still share your badassity then?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:09:15 PM by sequoia »

intellectsucks

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »
I’m torn here.  On the one hand, it is certainly badass to move big stuff in a small vehicle and you certainly did that.  On the other hand, it sure doesn’t look like they’re safely secured.  Definitely an A for effort.  Would putting a dropcloth or blanket on top and tying them to the roof have been a better idea?

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »
I always just have Home Depot cut them to size (for free) when I needed.  So far, I haven't needed to buy full-length 2x4's.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »
Why not fold down rear seat and put them inside?  If you need to run them diagonally to fit (i.e. if they won't fit running straight forward between the front two seats), then also fold down the front passenger seat.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 07:15:53 AM »
Keep in mind the standard /normal way to haul 8' 2x4s is to lean them over the tailgate of a pickup truck, sometimes tied to something, sometimes not. I'll address some questions:

1) They'll fall out.
Compared to the pickup truck default, it aint happenin. They were actually wedged tight, and didn't so much as wiggle the entire 7 mile ride home. The bungees were a secondary/overkill securement. Try this at home. Feel how little room for movement there is. Explore what forces would have to occur to dislodge the boards. Compare this to leaning them over a pickup tailgate.

2) Put on roof?
Up there, there's nothing to tie to (nothing to tie to on the 2x4s themselves either). Also you don't have gravity or wedging effects working for you - it all depends on your ropes not stretching or shifting. I've had loads come partially loose on a roof rack, but never in the way shown.

3) Put through trunk?
I actually tried multiple approaches, including this. Putting the boards through the trunk/back seat would leave the trunk lid partly open or flapping up and down, would risk the boards interfering with the driver, and funnel carbon monoxide into the cabin (see owner's manual). For all those disadvantages, you'd still be dependent on the friction of your ropes or bungees to prevent the boards from sliding out the back and onto the street when going uphill.

4) Width
No one mentioned this, but I'll address it anyway. This technique widens the car to about the width if a dually pickup truck. So if duallys don't bother you, this shouldn't either. As with pulling a trailer, one must be aware of the dimensions of one's vehicle on turns, etc.

Overall, this is the difference between dangerous and unusual. Any better way to do something is unusual and scary, but to assess danger, you have to study the concept, identify the pros/cons and failure modes. This isn't just a funny picture, it's a technique that works. Don't argue on the internet about it, go out to the garage, find a board, and try it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »
Wow, in my '95 Corolla I can fit 2x4's in the trunk and up to the front with no problem.  Did Toyota manage to make the car *less* spacious despite the model bloat?

RoostKing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 05:10:42 PM »

This is so wrong in so many level. Absolutely nothing is funny in this activity. I do not consider this sharing your badassity when what you did are highly illegal and dangerous. I think you know this too because you blur out the license plate of your Corolla.

I understand the concept of trying to save money and being frugal, but safety for you and other people around you should be a priority. Are you seriously thinking that air resistance and bungee cord is enough to hold those boards safely? What happen if you hit a pothole or somehow one of those board fly out of the car, and severely injured/killed the driver behind you, or a pedestrian? Would you still share your badassity then?

Exactly. What about you hitting a street sign or tree? So many scenarios could cause this to go wrong real quick.  And if a cop had spotted you, I wonder how much that ticket would have cost..

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 02:11:13 AM »
Keep in mind the standard /normal way to haul 8' 2x4s is to lean them over the tailgate of a pickup truck, sometimes tied to something, sometimes not. I'll address some questions:

Standard/normal way is to SOMETIME tied it? Absolutely NOT standard. You tied everything that you carry on open bed so they do not fall out and become a deadly projectile for the driver behind you. Just because some people do not do it, does not means it is ok.

Here is one article to read. Plenty more on internet.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/08/11/aaa-road-debris-causes-avoidable-crashes-deaths/88563500/

1) They'll fall out.
Compared to the pickup truck default, it aint happenin. They were actually wedged tight, and didn't so much as wiggle the entire 7 mile ride home. The bungees were a secondary/overkill securement. Try this at home. Feel how little room for movement there is. Explore what forces would have to occur to dislodge the boards. Compare this to leaning them over a pickup tailgate.

You don't get it do you? The point is you do not do illegal and dangerous activity in the name of trying to be frugal and so you can post how badass you do it. The point is not trying to justify your dangerous activity by listing all possible way of doing it worse than what you did, or justifying and examining the possibilities what can go right or wrong. It is like robbing a store is ok, because it is so much **** worse when you rob a bank and kill someone. No, both are not ok.

You said this in your post above "I did avoid the interstate on the way home though ;)." Why did you avoid the interstate if it was so safe, and the boards were so secured? Were you afraid that the boards were going to come loose, or were you afraid the cop was going to spot you?

2) Put on roof?
Up there, there's nothing to tie to (nothing to tie to on the 2x4s themselves either). Also you don't have gravity or wedging effects working for you - it all depends on your ropes not stretching or shifting. I've had loads come partially loose on a roof rack, but never in the way shown.

See above.

3) Put through trunk?
I actually tried multiple approaches, including this. Putting the boards through the trunk/back seat would leave the trunk lid partly open or flapping up and down, would risk the boards interfering with the driver, and funnel carbon monoxide into the cabin (see owner's manual). For all those disadvantages, you'd still be dependent on the friction of your ropes or bungees to prevent the boards from sliding out the back and onto the street when going uphill.

See above.

4) Width
No one mentioned this, but I'll address it anyway. This technique widens the car to about the width if a dually pickup truck. So if duallys don't bother you, this shouldn't either. As with pulling a trailer, one must be aware of the dimensions of one's vehicle on turns, etc.

See above.

Overall, this is the difference between dangerous and unusual. Any better way to do something is unusual and scary, but to assess danger, you have to study the concept, identify the pros/cons and failure modes. This isn't just a funny picture, it's a technique that works. Don't argue on the internet about it, go out to the garage, find a board, and try it.

Again see above. Why would I want to try your dangerous technique? So I can be dangerous like you?

Regardless how you justify it, it is dangerous and not funny. How about you go to the local police station with your boards and pikachu corrolla, and tell the police that you have a "safe" but "unusual" "technique that works" and have "assess danger, study the concept, identify the pros/cons and failure modes". Lets see if the police will agree with you? If the police agree with you, and can recommend your technique on how to carry boards in a car, I will shut up. I wonder if anyone is a cop here who would chime in.

You have endangered everyone on the road that day, and I am glad noone got hurt (I really do). The alternative is we all having discussion here how this one guy in the name of frugality and badassity, manage to injure or kill someone on the road.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:56:31 AM by sequoia »

skeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 07:43:57 AM »
The lowest trim level of the corolla for a few years did not have a folding seat.  Perhaps his is one of those.  (edit: appears he could, huh...not a single tie down in your car?  Odd).

Actually taking all the "not safe" and "not smart" comments aside, this is borderline illegal.

Based on the picture you have parts of wood overhanging your vehicle, they are unmarked, and arguable not "secured".  For the record, wedged is not secured.  There are strict penalties for unsecured loads for trucks.  I'm relatively certain your best argument would not impress a police officer.

So, if you add a nice little fine to your trip, this isn't very mustachian.  It almost made you into a sucka!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:45:48 AM by skeeder »

intellectsucks

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »
Still torn about this. The OPs later posts have convinced me that those boards were less likely to fall out than other ways of securing them to that vehicle; wedging them tightly in the right way would be much more stable than tying them. The OP made a convincing case but it seems possible he was just lucky.

Would it work for different but similar vehicles? Maybe or maybe not.  Is it worth the risk to experiment with this kind of transport?

As far as legality? Who knows? Assuming they are 100% secure, are you running the risk of getting a ticket? Does that make it more economical to arrange for other transport?

I agree that having a cop chime in would be extremely helpful.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »
I note zero physical attempts to evaluate this option in a stationary car. Zero "I tried this with a board from the garage in my Subaru and..."
Pretty sure this is not due to a lack of cars or boards.

Oh well, typical internet rage. Some of the folks who know everything have tried nothing. Some haven't even accomplished reading the posts.

In terms of "100% secure"...  YouTube "pickup loses load". That's the normal method we don't bat an eye at. When we're behind a pickup carrying lumber, a bungee cord or piece of twine is all that's between us and a bunch of boards in the grill. Most of the debris on the freeway came out of a truck bed. But that's the risk we're accustomed to.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 09:31:34 PM »
Sorry, you aren't going to convince me this was a brilliant idea, especially after you admitted in your first post that you possess a trailer but opted for sticking boards out your windows instead. In my state, even if you could convince a police officer that isn't inherently a safety hazard, you could still be ticketed for failing to properly flag the boards with neon material to make sure other drivers noticed them. 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
I note zero physical attempts to evaluate this option in a stationary car. Zero "I tried this with a board from the garage in my Subaru and..."
Pretty sure this is not due to a lack of cars or boards.

Oh well, typical internet rage. Some of the folks who know everything have tried nothing. Some haven't even accomplished reading the posts.

There is nothing to evaluate here by anyone. What you did should never been done in the first place. Why on earth anyone wants to replicate this?

Again, as my post above said. Why don't you ask the local police if your Pikachu Corolla is a great setup and legal. If the police ok it, I will shut up.

In terms of "100% secure"...  YouTube "pickup loses load". That's the normal method we don't bat an eye at. When we're behind a pickup carrying lumber, a bungee cord or piece of twine is all that's between us and a bunch of boards in the grill. Most of the debris on the freeway came out of a truck bed. But that's the risk we're accustomed to.

Your logic is wrong. Just because someone blasted thru a 25-mile school zone at 75mph, does not means you can drive it in 50mph and be ok. Both are wrong. Same logic here. Just because some dumbass posted it on Youtube, does not means it is ok to do it (doh!)

EDIT:
Found this from quick Google search. I am sure other states has similar law.
https://www.municode.com/library/wv/huntington/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CO_PTTHREETRCO_CHFIVEVEOP_ART347COHEVE_347.02PRLOPAVE

No passenger-type vehicle shall be operated on any street or highway with any load carried thereon extending beyond the line of the fenders of the left side of such vehicle nor extending more than six inches beyond the line of the fenders on the right side thereof.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:17:13 PM by sequoia »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
I am relieved and delighted to see others questioning the safety of your choices. I saw the first post and had to turn away because my head was screaming and I didn't want to use words that would be deemed too harsh.

Now, I will politely ask you to consider how it would effect your goals if someone was killed (or even "merely" injured) by your carelessness. Your behavior, sir, is not in the least bit mustachian. It is unsafe and inconsiderate. I'd suggest you remove this thread completely.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
I am relieved and delighted to see others questioning the safety of your choices. I saw the first post and had to turn away because my head was screaming and I didn't want to use words that would be deemed too harsh.

Now, I will politely ask you to consider how it would effect your goals if someone was killed (or even "merely" injured) by your carelessness. Your behavior, sir, is not in the least bit mustachian. It is unsafe and inconsiderate. I'd suggest you remove this thread completely.

IMHO this thread should not be removed. Maybe it will help others so they do not try to do this.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 10:24:49 AM »
Wow, in my '95 Corolla I can fit 2x4's in the trunk and up to the front with no problem.  Did Toyota manage to make the car *less* spacious despite the model bloat?

Yeah, that was my first thought. It was easy to haul a dozen 2x4x8' sticks in my '95 Saturn, with the trunk closed. Could actually do 9' with care.

It's the major feature I miss with my "new" car where the back seat doesn't fold down. But I have AC.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »
I'm actually not going to hate on this. As long as the boards are genuinely secure, which I don't they're going to bounce 3 feet upward  and out the window, it's good. Not ideal, but I appreciate the try.

Improvements: 1. Put a red flag on the ends. That's the rule for trucks with lumber overhanging in my state. I'd at least follow the same rule. 2. Put all the wood on one side. It's already dumb looking. No reason to make it double dumb.

Also, I have an '05 corolla. I have moved lumber on the roof. I put padding on the roof above each door on the passenger side. Then width the doors open, I loop tiedowns tight all the way through the cab. It works.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 05:47:08 AM »

I've had no problems fitting 12 or so 2x4x9sin my '05 Corrola with the rear seat folded down.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »
That looks scary. That's actually one of the reasons I bought a Prius. It's very fuel-sipping/Mustachian friendly, but also the backseat folds down and it has a hatchback. I can haul stuff in there that even larger vehicles would struggle with.