Author Topic: Persuaded a coworker to be more badass!  (Read 3419 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Persuaded a coworker to be more badass!
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:14:58 AM »
More badass... Badasser? Must ponder...

One day at lunch with a coworker in her 20's, she was talking about how much money she needs to ever retire. She has some frugal tendencies already, but her retirement number is higher than what she herself needs, because she would want to help out friends and family. I asked if she was contributing enough to our 401k to get the full match, and she wasn't sure.

I had a feeling if she didn't know, then she wasn't. We're automatically opted in at 2%, but the company matches up to 5%. Someone who wasn't paying close attention might think since they're already contributing, they're getting the match.

I suggested she double-check, since it's part of her compensation that she's not taking advantage of. The next week, she came up to me with a big smile and said she upped her contribution to the match!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Persuaded a coworker to be more badass!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 08:17:29 AM »
Congratulations, I award you a Good Karma.

=)

Roadsidetreasurehunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
Well done. 

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 01:38:58 PM »
For most non-mustachians that is a huge step.

I was surprised to find out how few people even max out to meet their employer match. Like who leaves free money on the table? Lots of people it turns out.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
Thanks for the good karma! I do so little for the world, I'll take it where I can.

Prognastat, I think a lot of people aren't even aware of a match. Crazy, but honestly, I didn't know how it worked when I first started a real job. Thankfully my company did true up so I didn't miss out from my front loading.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
Thanks for the good karma! I do so little for the world, I'll take it where I can.

Prognastat, I think a lot of people aren't even aware of a match. Crazy, but honestly, I didn't know how it worked when I first started a real job. Thankfully my company did true up so I didn't miss out from my front loading.

I considered myself fairly savy with finances and despite this I did not know about/take advantage of my 401k match for the first 2 years at my last job!!! So much $$ left on the table.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 12:46:37 PM »
Gold star for you and your co-worker :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!