Author Topic: Perhaps the single most Mustachian job, ever?  (Read 20702 times)

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
Perhaps the single most Mustachian job, ever?
« on: September 02, 2015, 02:20:25 AM »
Howdy, folks.

Do you want to get 6 months of the year off, every year, yet still make great money? Do you want an interesting and stimulating job that is intellectual, physical, in an adventurous setting, active, ridiculously fun, and lets you see the world? If you are saying yes, then read on.

Become a merchant mariner.

Let me tell you about what it is that I do. I'm a marine engineer. We are the hardy, swarthy, resourceful bad ass engine side of merchant mariners. My title is Second Assistant Engineer. Google it. I work on a 800' ship. That’s big. In the simplest of terms, my crew of three and I operate, maintain, and repair the 54MW power plant and all the associated auxiliaries that run this beast. I run, spruce up, and fix great big stuff. It’s awesome.

There is another side of merchant mariners. The deck side… the Mates. They are the soft, pink, panicky not-so-bad ass side of merchant mariners. They drive the boat and spend lots of time shopping for things like shoes, watches, and embarrassing cars. I can write this about them because not one of them would be caught dead reading a forum such as this. They prefer sites like www.howcaniwastemymoneyonabunchofdumbshit.com.

So, if you’re still reading, you must be interested in being a hale member of the Engine Department. Fortunately, I can help you out there. First, to become a successful marine engineer, you must come from a background of having worked on shit with your hands since the day you were born. You have to live, eat, and breathe it. You have to love it, because for an average of 6 months of the year, 7 days a week of that time, 12-24 hours a day, that's all you do. All you do it work your ass off. In your free time, which can amount to 3-4 hours every day, the good ones get better. They become better thinkers, people, guitar players, whatever. The bad ones watch movies and pass out. That’s mostly the Mates.

You see, it my line of work, when you go to work, you stay there. I work 3-4 weeks. Some folks work 10 months. But, in general, whatever time you work out to sea, you get that time at home. Doing whatever you want. No work. The only work you’re required to do is to comb the aromas of Indian spices, African grasslands, Korean Kimchi, and the open ocean out of your massive, world girdling ‘stache. Or, just leave ‘em in there. That kimchi grows on ya. I promise.

So, here's why I say it's the most Mustachian job, perhaps ever. We are often several thousand miles from the nearest land. When something breaks at that point, there is no “running to the store” or “ordering it next day from Amazon” or “crying into your locally sourced LL Bean pillow”. You buck up, get to work, and fucking figure it out. No parts? You make new ones. We weld, braze, solder, machine, woodwork, and splice. We do electrical, electronics, IT, mechanical, hydraulics, air conditioning, water production, plumbing, heating. You get it. We do it all.

So, that is the people we hire. Ultra-competent bad asses. Proficient, efficient, creative, stubborn, never-say-die bad asses.

Here’s the other reason it is Mustachian: you make money. Good money. If you’re not a dumbass, like the Mates, then you retire in a hurry. I know a guy who went out for five years straight, got his Chief’s license, worked another two years and retired. Done.

Did this pique your interest? If so, PM me and I’ll get you pointed in the right direction. Oh ya. You don't have to have a degree. You can become a hawsepiper... and there is nothing more salty, revered, and feared in the industry than a hawsepiper.

PFHC, out.

PS - No, I’m not in the Navy. No, I’m not in the military.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:37:57 AM by PFHC »

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
Re: Perhaps the single most Mustachian job, ever?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »
Yeah dude (and spartana) you win the mustachian job award for sure. I always feel so physically inadequate when I hear about jobs like that, those are real jobs, not this namby pamby computer engineering stuff that we office guys grow flabby and pale doing.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »
If I was single!  I can get a bit seasick, too...

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 03:15:05 PM »
Yeah dude (and spartana) you win the mustachian job award for sure. I always feel so physically inadequate when I hear about jobs like that, those are real jobs, not this namby pamby computer engineering stuff that we office guys grow flabby and pale doing.
Cerebus, it takes all kinds. But, if the desk life is getting to you, here's my two cents.

I used to work in an office as a reliability engineer. My solution to the pale and flabby part was to go home every night and work my ass off outside. I cleared and levelled 2.5 acres in a year, by myself. Not only did it help me to avoid said pastiness and softitude, it preserved what little sanity I have remaining.

Or you could just spike your mouse, go jump a ship and gtfo. There's always that. :)
Ah yes but you get to go home every night, weekends and holidays to be with your loved ones. And you get to be clean! Nothing like crawling around in an engine room all day and night for months on end in rough seas to make you appreciate shore life. But of course I miss it pretty much everyday since I've been out.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »
Former Coast Guard marine engineer (MK) here (yeah, we're the people who most Merchant Mariners hate...until you need us that is :-)!). Even spent a few years in Maine aboard a patrol boat. CG isn't quite as exciting as the Merchant Marines in terms of foreign ports (although they do go all over the place from the Antarctic to the Arctic) but doing a short (or long like me) stint in the CG is another way to get your various MM eng licenses once civilian. You get all the training, can spend large amounts of time at sea, work on various vessels, get to do all that fun (and exciting  CG stuff too like law enforcement, search and rescue, firefighting, environmental protection, etc.. and you get paid. Of course it's 12 months a year with little time off but many ex-coastie engs go into the Merchant Marines after they get out and/or retire. MM (and marine engineers) are definetly bad ass if I do say so myself :-)! BTW...I'm a female so it's not just for the guys.
Spartana, you're a bad ass. There's a woman on my crew right now. It's awesome having her on the team. The skills she brings are top notch and it is really nice having the female perspective down here. She brings a new insight to everything from troubleshooting to personal life. It rocks.

And I dig the CG. Good folks doing an important job keeping us all safe. Never met one that I didn't like. :)

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »
If I was single!  I can get a bit seasick, too...
I'm married with two little kids. It works amazing for us... :)

The seasick part can be tough. I don't get it, but I know a few who do. There's ways to work around it or with it, but if it's bad enough, that can be the end of the show.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:32:52 AM »
Very cool sounding job. I'm impressed.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 12:50:48 AM »
Very cool sounding job. I'm impressed.
Thanks. I love it and my wife and kids love it, so I love sharing it. :)

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 07:08:41 AM »
PFHC: I was wondering about this. I'm not planning on joining, just curious. Are there women on these merchant ships? I mean, I suppose there are at least a few... but I was wondering what percentage of the crew is female? 1? 10? 30%?

I'm assuming it is a low number, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ghzbani

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »
They prefer sites like www.howcaniwastemymoneyonabunchofdumbshit.com.

Bit off topic, but did anyone else click that link?

It looks like its available, wonder if someone will ever grab it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
What's the best way to go about signing up for the soft, pink, panicky, not so badass position?

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
I think most little boys (maybe girls too, but I can't speak with authority there) dream about working on a ship at least at one point in their lives.  For me it's one of those things where if I had six or seven lives to live differently, I would definitely use one of them to work on some sort of ship.  But, I've made my choices for this life that I've got and I'm pretty happy with them.

Sounds like a pretty badass way to make a living though.

I definitely clicked and was disappointed that there wasn't something ready-made for mustachian mocking there.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
PFHC: I was wondering about this. I'm not planning on joining, just curious. Are there women on these merchant ships? I mean, I suppose there are at least a few... but I was wondering what percentage of the crew is female? 1? 10? 30%?

I'm assuming it is a low number, but maybe I'm wrong.
In the last seven years, I've worked with nine women, two of them in the engine room. In that same time, I have worked with roughly 750 men. So, yep, it is a largely male dominated field, especially the engine room. That said, if you're the rough, tough, stubborn type, we'll take ya, no matter your sex. :)

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
What's the best way to go about signing up for the soft, pink, panicky, not so badass position?
Practice shopping for shoes, watches, and embarrassing cars, now. Your goal is to be able to do that for 12 straight hours. It will be hard at first, but stick with it. Maybe try 2 hour increments to start. Go slow, have patience, and before you know it, you'll be ready for a Mate's position.

Next, you'll have to get very good about whining about the air conditioning, food, and what's on the TVs. This is tough, but you can start by taking everything nice you have in your life for granted. Be sure to not be thankful and grateful for anything. Stick with that and you'll get where you need to be soon enough.

;)

Depends who you are. If you're the college type and plan to perhaps do something other than sail the deep blue, go to a Maritime Academy. Myself? I went to the best the world has to offer, Maine Maritime. I graduated with an engineering degree and a USCG Marine engineers license. I've worked on land as a desk engineer (hated it) and out here. It's a nice route because it gives you options. Options are nice if you plan to raise a family, which I did.

The other route is the salty-as-fuck route of hawsepiping it. A hawsepipe is a large hole in the bow of the ship that they run the big ass dock lines through. Back in the day, desperate people looking for work or a life change would climb onboard and stowaway via the hawsepipe. They would be arrested and dropped off at the nearest port, or, if lucky, made part of the crew. So, basically, a hawsepiper starts at the very bottom, often in the galley swabbing the deck and cleaning heads. They work hard and learn and claw their way up. By the time they get where I'm at, or working as a Second Mate, they've seen, done, and know it. Twice. That's why they are so respected and revered.

I did a combination of the two, because I rarely do shit like you're supposed to. I gathered a goodly amount of sea time and experience, then spent four years in school starting at age 25.

The school is remarkably affordable as far as college goes. And the ROI is huge. I worked through school, not as much as I could have, but I did work quite a bit (carpentry and odd jobs most nights and weekends), and graduated in 2008 with $40k debt. My first job on a ship paid $113,000. I made $212,000 last year. One could do a year or two of community college, then two years at MMA, and graduate with no debt.

By the way, I have worked with men and women who started this career at age 40. They were feeling trapped and at a dead end and heard about us. They went the academy route, graduated in 2 years, and are out there making a killing and enjoying a life rich with adventure and intrigue.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:50:31 PM by PFHC »

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »

Sounds like a pretty badass way to make a living though.
Thanks. I've certainly enjoyed it!

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 02:49:22 PM »

Here ya go. Just bypass the engineering fields. http://www.jobmonkey.com/maritimejobs/merchant_marines/  although, in defense of some equivalent deck (i.e. mate) positions in the coast guard such as Seaman and Boatswain mate, they are pretty badass and not of the soft and pink variety for the most part due to the nature of the job. Anyways, there are tons of job sites for the MM out there and info on education, experience, certification/licensing needed, etc..

ETA: Question to OP - when in port do the engineers do all the mechanical stuff too or is that hired out at a ship yard? Do you do rebuilts and the like? We had top do all that when in port (ah, shorter shore leave then the deckies and ops) but usually took the ship to the yards for anything that involved hauling out. We still did the work but had help.

Thanks for backing me up out here with the link! I'm out to sea and its tough to keep up. :)

Depends on the service. We do 95% in house. But, if it's a big job, or job that requires very special tools and skills (rebuilding our turbos), then we bring in 3rd party folks.

The ships I'm on very rarely get hauled out. We just have underwater inspections performed every five years. But, if it was required, that's what we'd do.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 02:54:13 PM »
[ The other route is the salty-as-fuck route of hawsepiping it. A hawsepipe is a large hole in the bow of the ship that they run the big ass dock lines through. Back in the day, desperate people looking for work or a life change would climb onboard and stowaway via the hawsepipe. They would be arrested and dropped off at the nearest port, or, if lucky, made part of the crew. So, basically, a hawsepiper starts at the very bottom, often in the galley swabbing the deck and cleaning heads. They work hard and learn and claw their way up. By the time they get where I'm at, or working as a Second Mate, they've seen, done, and know it. Twice. That's why they are so respected and revered.

I always wondered why they unlicensed people that. Now I know! Do they still have Oilers and Wipers and other eng unlicensed jobs or are they ALL called hawsepipers? I guess as an enlisted eng who worked her way from Fireman to Chief I'd be a hawsepiper.
Hawsepiper is a nickname, one rife with great respect.

Yes, our junior licensed engine folks are oilers. Our unlicensed folks are wipers or motormen.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »
My nephew just started at the CA Maritime Academy in Vallejo. Badass kid! Can't wait to see what he does with his education.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »
My nephew just started at the CA Maritime Academy in Vallejo. Badass kid! Can't wait to see what he does with his education.
Diane C,

Best of luck to your nephew! Tell him to stick with it through the rough start. It will pay great dividends!

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »
Is there any relationship between "Merchant" Marines and "Kill them all - Let god sort them out" Marines?

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
Is there any relationship between "Merchant" Marines and "Kill them all - Let god sort them out" Marines?
Absolutely none at all.

dpfromva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 10:12:23 PM »
You go boys and girls. Long ago my spouse wrote legal briefs for the Dept. of Justice case that got women into the Massachusetts Maritime Academy.

ShumateWB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 02:13:44 PM »

You might get to work the Maersk Alabama and pick up some guests along the way :)

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 01:21:00 AM »

You might get to work the Maersk Alabama and pick up some guests along the way :)

I did some of the coordination for that rescue.  It was a cool mission compared to the usual at the time.

kscubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »
Fellow marine engineer here and i can confirm; very mustachian job.
I just want to point out, incase it wasn't clear already, that you have essentially zero expenses when you are at work. Food and shelter and work clothes and laundry are all provided.

Yes you will work hard and wont have a day off your entire hitch, but, when you are on your time off you have absolutely no work related care in the world. You are completely free to spend your time off doing whatever the hell you want.

I work roughly a month and a half at a time and then get the same amount of time off. It works great for my lifestyle.

PFHC: i'd love to know who you are working for that pays 212k/year for a 2A/E working even time.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 07:27:56 AM »
This made me smile.  My grandpa (just died at 93) worked the engine room as a mechanic on a WWII Navy ship.  I guess I never thought of him as a badass before, but he came home from the war knowing how to fix about anything, became a John Deere tractor mechanic, then opened his own John Deere implement business.

At 91, while still pretty lucid he was giving me advice on how to maintain my car.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »
Howdy, folks.

Do you want to get 6 months of the year off, every year, yet still make great money? Do you want an interesting and stimulating job that is intellectual, physical, in an adventurous setting, active, ridiculously fun, and lets you see the world? If you are saying yes, then read on.

Become a merchant mariner.

Let me tell you about what it is that I do. I'm a marine engineer. We are the hardy, swarthy, resourceful bad ass engine side of merchant mariners. My title is Second Assistant Engineer. Google it. I work on a 800' ship. That’s big. In the simplest of terms, my crew of three and I operate, maintain, and repair the 54MW power plant and all the associated auxiliaries that run this beast. I run, spruce up, and fix great big stuff. It’s awesome.

There is another side of merchant mariners. The deck side… the Mates. They are the soft, pink, panicky not-so-bad ass side of merchant mariners. They drive the boat and spend lots of time shopping for things like shoes, watches, and embarrassing cars. I can write this about them because not one of them would be caught dead reading a forum such as this. They prefer sites like www.howcaniwastemymoneyonabunchofdumbshit.com.

So, if you’re still reading, you must be interested in being a hale member of the Engine Department. Fortunately, I can help you out there. First, to become a successful marine engineer, you must come from a background of having worked on shit with your hands since the day you were born. You have to live, eat, and breathe it. You have to love it, because for an average of 6 months of the year, 7 days a week of that time, 12-24 hours a day, that's all you do. All you do it work your ass off. In your free time, which can amount to 3-4 hours every day, the good ones get better. They become better thinkers, people, guitar players, whatever. The bad ones watch movies and pass out. That’s mostly the Mates.

You see, it my line of work, when you go to work, you stay there. I work 3-4 weeks. Some folks work 10 months. But, in general, whatever time you work out to sea, you get that time at home. Doing whatever you want. No work. The only work you’re required to do is to comb the aromas of Indian spices, African grasslands, Korean Kimchi, and the open ocean out of your massive, world girdling ‘stache. Or, just leave ‘em in there. That kimchi grows on ya. I promise.

So, here's why I say it's the most Mustachian job, perhaps ever. We are often several thousand miles from the nearest land. When something breaks at that point, there is no “running to the store” or “ordering it next day from Amazon” or “crying into your locally sourced LL Bean pillow”. You buck up, get to work, and fucking figure it out. No parts? You make new ones. We weld, braze, solder, machine, woodwork, and splice. We do electrical, electronics, IT, mechanical, hydraulics, air conditioning, water production, plumbing, heating. You get it. We do it all.

So, that is the people we hire. Ultra-competent bad asses. Proficient, efficient, creative, stubborn, never-say-die bad asses.

Here’s the other reason it is Mustachian: you make money. Good money. If you’re not a dumbass, like the Mates, then you retire in a hurry. I know a guy who went out for five years straight, got his Chief’s license, worked another two years and retired. Done.

Did this pique your interest? If so, PM me and I’ll get you pointed in the right direction. Oh ya. You don't have to have a degree. You can become a hawsepiper... and there is nothing more salty, revered, and feared in the industry than a hawsepiper.

PFHC, out.

PS - No, I’m not in the Navy. No, I’m not in the military.
This was very interesting.  (FYI I was in the Navy).

My nephew went to the Merchant Marine Academy.  I honestly have no idea how much time he spent on ships after.  Because he's old like me (he's almost 40) and hasn't been doing it in forever.  Worked for Parsons for awhile?

goatmom

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
You sound incredibly badass.  My little brother went to United States Merchant Marine Academy  - free four year degree!  Badass.  Loves working on the engines.  Has seen the world.  He tried a desk job for two weeks.  No way - he quit and was back out to sea!

kraken7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
Speaking as someone who just spent the last summer working on a tall ship and being Bosun's Mate half of August, I 110% agree. The only expenses I had were on weekends when I was off work for Saturday! (Most of that money went into sunscreen and treating myself to ice cream).

Now, I didn't actually earn any money since I was working a volunteer position, but I learned a LOT and am aiming to get paid as a TC Deckhand next year. You work with what you got on ships. My captain had me use peanut butter on the leadline when testing if the place we'd run aground was rock or silt! (turns out Vaseline is expensive).

The ships SVMO's actually gone off to study Nautical Science, so he'll be doing what PFHC is doing one day.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:25:34 PM by kraken7 »

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 03:15:46 AM »
Speaking as someone who just spent the last summer working on a tall ship and being Bosun's Mate half of August, I 110% agree. The only expenses I had were on weekends when I was off work for Saturday! (Most of that money went into sunscreen and treating myself to ice cream).

Now, I didn't actually earn any money since I was working a volunteer position, but I learned a LOT and am aiming to get paid as a TC Deckhand next year. You work with what you got on ships. My captain had me use peanut butter on the leadline when testing if the place we'd run aground was rock or silt! (turns out Vaseline is expensive).

The ships SVMO's actually gone off to study Nautical Science, so he'll be doing what PFHC is doing one day.
Kraken7, I got my start as a galleyhand on a tallship. Some of the best 9 months of my life. My wife worked two summers as a deckhand on a tallship before we met. She's the coolest chick I know. :)

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »
By the way, I have worked with men and women who started this career at age 40. They were feeling trapped and at a dead end and heard about us. They went the academy route, graduated in 2 years, and are out there making a killing and enjoying a life rich with adventure and intrigue.

Could you say a bit more about age requirements?  I'm 39, and I have a 5 mos. old, so I'm not looking to go back to school right now, but maybe in a couple of years.  Would 43-45 be too old to get started?  FWIW, I don't have a lot of engine repair experience, so I'd probably have to go in one of the pink / flabby directions.  In my defense, I am somewhat pink but not flabby.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 09:23:40 AM »

Off topic but, www.thisiswhyImbroke.com is the real version of this.  Bunch of crazy and interesting stuff listed.  The site itself is actually pretty smart.  Most items are affiliate links to amazon and I doubt it requires much hands on management.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »

Could you say a bit more about age requirements?  I'm 39, and I have a 5 mos. old, so I'm not looking to go back to school right now, but maybe in a couple of years.  Would 43-45 be too old to get started?  FWIW, I don't have a lot of engine repair experience, so I'd probably have to go in one of the pink / flabby directions.  In my defense, I am somewhat pink but not flabby.
I'm sorry i didn't reply to you on this one! I went home and it slipped between the cracks.

43-45 would not be too old to do the work. I know of four gentlemen and one woman who did it at that age, and one woman who did it at 63! All joking aside, the Mate route is a fantastic job. It is a great route to go if you are interested in being a manager.

Only thing I would say would be to do your research. Ask questions on USCG forums, read about it, talk to the schools and find out how much the time and money investment would be.

Good luck and hit me up if you have any more questions.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
So, I googled hawsepiper. And then I did an image search. Let's just say, there must be another definition besides the one given in this post.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »
This sounds so insanely badass.

Only 3 years into the corporate desk job thing, and I'm already looking for a way out - Which is what brought me to MMM in the first place. Running off to sea always had a certain appeal...

I need to look into this more.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »

Only 3 years into the corporate desk job thing, and I'm already looking for a way out - Which is what brought me to MMM in the first place. Running off to sea always had a certain appeal...

Spike that mouse and gtfo. I started school at age 25 and it was friggin perfect. If this sounds awesome, then GO GET SOME!

PM me if you need a hand.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »
Do I need to shave 20 years off to sign up? If not, I'm more than ready, physically and mentally. Where do I sign up?

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 06:41:55 PM »
Do I need to shave 20 years off to sign up? If not, I'm more than ready, physically and mentally. Where do I sign up?
Hell no! Go get some!

Just ask if you have any questions.

Mr Money Mutton Chops

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »
This sounds awesome. I think I'll have to look into it, it sounds like something that could be worth while for a few years later down the road.

_Nico_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 09:30:24 AM »

Spike that mouse and gtfo. I started school at age 25 and it was friggin perfect. If this sounds awesome, then GO GET SOME!

PM me if you need a hand.

You know, I'm in the same boat...no pun intended. I've always worked with my hands from wood/metal working, electrical, circuits, cars/bikes, you name it. But software engineering came pretty naturally to me too and that pays very well (especially in San Francisco).

I heard of some jobs as diesel technicians out in the wastelands of Australia (trains and such), but those are year round gigs from the sound of it. You've convinced me to start looking into this Marine Engineer gig. Hard work with equal time hard play? Plus free travel? Not a hard sell ;)

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »
Oh to be single and 18 again with my high school diploma in my hand. I'd sign up for this and wouldn't waste all the years I did trying and failing to go the route I wanted to go. Now, I'm stuck in one of those flabby desk jobs, but I will be sure to check this out and see if my hubby would let me do be happy if I did this!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
Hell no! Go get some!

This is the second time I'm really disappointed not to be an American...the first time, I was 10 years old, arriving in NYC from the old continent, after crossing the Atlantic on the last voyage of the Queen Mary. Me and my little brother couldn't be more excited, until a few days later when we discovered our dad was sending us by bus to the fake America, a few hundred miles North...

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Hell no! Go get some!

This is the second time I'm really disappointed not to be an American...the first time, I was 10 years old, arriving in NYC from the old continent, after crossing the Atlantic on the last voyage of the Queen Mary. Me and my little brother couldn't be more excited, until a few days later when we discovered our dad was sending us by bus to the fake America, a few hundred miles North...
Sorry. Didn't read your location. :)

Check this out: http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/eng/CCG/Careers/SO/Engineering

It might get you going in the right direction.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 06:05:07 PM by PFHC »

Landslave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »
I've always admired guys and gals like you.  Glad we have them in the world.  It is always amazing after a typhoon, cyclone, hurricane, what is valued are not the attorneys and business types and investors, but health care professionals and Joe-lunchbox to put things right again.  Nobody values the skilled trades until something really goes wrong.  Hat's off to you!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!