Author Topic: Pay Per Mile Car Insurance  (Read 3689 times)

greenbull

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Bullfacts
Pay Per Mile Car Insurance
« on: December 09, 2016, 11:45:37 PM »
To all those badasses out there who are riding your bikes everywhere.  When I became a badass it took me awhile to realize to switch to per-mile insurance.  When I did switch I was driving so little I saved over $100 per month!  Sadly I couldn't keep the insurance when I moved, but maybe some of you can get it.

For me there has always been some step to take and be more frugal, usually in an easy way like the above.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
Re: Pay Per Mile Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »
What companies offer that?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 01:20:20 PM »
I've priced it before and they want a base rate of ~$50/mo before any mileage....wasn't worth switching. Great that it worked for you, though!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 06:45:07 PM »
In exchange, they know where you drive, when you drive, and often how you drive.

You usually need an OBD-II vehicle, which would be '95 and newer, give or take.

I'm willing to pay a bit for not having the insurance company back seat driving.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:03 PM »
When I did switch I was driving so little I saved over $100 per month!

Wait but I only pay ~$35 a month for a $1,000,000 body injury/ $100,000 property damage liability plan. You also paid for collision coverage?

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »
In exchange, they know where you drive, when you drive, and often how you drive.

You usually need an OBD-II vehicle, which would be '95 and newer, give or take.

I'm willing to pay a bit for not having the insurance company back seat driving.

Just curious.  Do you have a smart phone?  Because they are pulling more info than that OBD-II is pulling, and they are selling that data to anyone that will pay.  Lots of companies are now offering mobile options on these types of plans too.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »
Just curious.  Do you have a smart phone?  Because they are pulling more info than that OBD-II is pulling, and they are selling that data to anyone that will pay.  Lots of companies are now offering mobile options on these types of plans too.

My phone isn't tracking the number of hard braking events I make, what percentage of throttle I use, etc.

And I don't have to carry my phone with me if I don't want to.