Author Topic: Paif off $110K mortgage in less than 2 years  (Read 17042 times)

namimomoftwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Paif off $110K mortgage in less than 2 years
« on: September 11, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
OK, since I can only share this news with our parents, may I have a permission to share this here and get a pat on my back?
This morning we paid off out mortgage!!! (We are 35 and 36 with 2 small kids).

Back in Dec 2010, we decided out of a whim to pay off the remaining ~$110K mortgage in 2 years.  We had never been in debt except for the mortgage and wanted to get rid of it ASAP.
Along the way I found Jacob's site and then MMM's and they and their community gave us strength and ideas to get through some tough times and achieve this goal.
So I just want to say thanks!!! and just for fun I attached the graph of our journey.  We had lived in the house for 5 years and started this at "C".

Now onto the next challenge!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Paif off $110K mortgage in less than 2 years
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »
Congrats!  That's pretty badass.  55k/yr is no small feat.

Enjoy that debt free feeling, and keep stachin those mortgage payments. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »
Wow, congrats. That's a fantastic achievement. Does it feel amazing? I'm sure it does.

namimomoftwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
Thanks!

Yep, it's pretty sweet now we won't have to pay a big chunk to the bank every month.
But honestly, it hasn't fully registered with me yet.  It's surreal.
I feel SO good though that we finished it :-) and now we can keep all the money every month.  Pretty amazing!

AdrianM

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:23:43 AM »
Well Done, on taking care of your debt emergency.

Take a moment to savouir it then on to building your stache.

Masha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 05:36:07 AM »
wow! Thats fantastic! Congratulations on a super kick ass accomplishment.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:03:55 AM »
Way to go, thats fabulous..look at that curve drop! you must feel great!
Keep stashin that cash!

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
That is an awesome accomplishment!  You've given me some inspiration and something to shoot for!

Use it up, wear it out...

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »
I've got 90K to go - thanks for reminding us that it's definitely possible.

mechanic baird

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
That's awesome!! Great work!
Do you mind share your story with us a bit more? Like what are the things you gave up to come up with $55K after tax dollar to throw at the mortgage? How did you make it work? what were the biggest challenges? etc.
I think we can all learn from you!

It Figures

Re: Paid off $110K mortgage in less than 2 years
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »
What an awesome and inspiring story!!!  You should feel tremendous pride in what you have accomplished, not only for yourself, but for your children.  I can only imagine how free you feel right now:)

josephpg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
Awesome accomplishment! As someone who has seen adults not care about reducing, hearing this gives me hope. Great job, and i hope you keep up with being awesome

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
Good stuff.

namimomoftwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Awwww you guys are awesome!!! I feel the comminity love. Thanks!

So I debated whether or not to show our numbers but decided I had nothing to lose so here is our amortization schedule sheet.
Column D is extra payment and the last column is obviously the loan amount.
I hope to inspire someone or at least amuse some of you!

@mechanic baird
Thanks for your kind words!

I think 99% of credit goes to my husband.  He brought home high income every month, got 2 bonuses and multiple promotions in 2 years without a single complaint.  He also encouraged and humored me when I wanted to give up. So first and foremost, high income helps, not required, though.  (We were saving when we were making 30/40k many years ago).

I think the first wise thing we did was to decide to succeed in this goal no matter what.  We believed we could do it and the only thing left to do was just do it. It sounds cheesy but it gave us no excuse to fail and forced us to come up with solutions when money was tight.
I just finished reading The magic of thinking big recommended by MMM and its first principle was believing. We agree!

And the rest, honestly, you guys know how to do it.
Just cut spending everywhere and use your brain to come up with creative ways to have fun or cut costs.
We didn't have cable or fancy cars/bags/fancy anything, cut our hairs, bought NO adult clothes, get kids clothes as gifts or handmedowns, use library, use energy saving bulbs and un-screw unnesessary bulbs. 1 bulb in the bathroom and 2 in the living room. I read in candle light for fun some nights, too. , homemade cleaners/detergents, homemade bread, etc.
I cut kids winter pants and made shorts out of them. Some of my friends sewed them back on for the next winter if their kids could still wear them.

I also got lots of freebies.  Though, I have mixed feelings about this because freebies come in packages which I feel are big waste so I don't think I will be doing freebies from now on. But free shampoos/feminine products (awkward!)/dog food were nice.
Also do drugstore game like money saving mom.com if you have time and patience. I did only a few.

Christmas was tough.  I didn't want clutter but still needed to exchange gifts, so starting November-ish, I started selling junk around the house to make money. I did craiglist, eBay, garage sale (collect shipping materials from your friends and family).
I did swagbucks search to get giftcards and made sure to use eBates to get cashback. I continued to declutter after holidays and made over $800 which went towards a few month of groceries.

We stopped remodeling our house, only repairs.
Our patio was falling apart and the kitchen was from 1970s and they are still like that today.  Any car repairs were done by my hubby and his dad.

I would say watch little spending like $2 hotdog at a fair for example.
It quickly adds up to $100s.  We always took lunch and snack everywhere. No bottled water. But don't forget the large stuff, either. I called Geico and save over $700 for 2 cars.
(Unfortunately we need 2 cars for now, MMM!)

I also sold some shares I bought years ago when I was working.
We used our cash reserve,too, after MMM convinced us we didn't need to keep $20K in low interest bank account.

We continuted 401k. We maxed out roth IRA, contributed to 529 and other non-retirement account until the last few months. We will start those again this friday.

The hardest part was social pressure. For example, nowadays parents love to throw expensive birthday parties.  I really don't like to attend those or host one.
We didn't want to expose my kids to that environment so we turned down many invitations (they are small so we got away with it for now), but felt bad.
For our kids' birthdays, we had simple family get-together.

Any habit, you can acquire under a month. So after a month or two, we were used to this simple lifestyle and actually enjoyed it.
One time at a park, every kid was flying a store bought kite except for my son. We had built a kite together from scratch. I was so proud of myself!
As we saw progress, we got better and got extreme (well, our extreme. I'm aware I'm not as extreme as Jacob!). I got such adrenaline rush when I paid off $14K off the loan. It was great!
So think of it as a fun challenge!

Hope it helps.  Sorry my writing is not as polished!

namimomoftwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »
of course, I forgot the attachment.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 08:05:43 PM »
Very awesome, that was some very hard effort on your part!

Tradies wife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »
Fantastic work :) Paying off our primary residence is very much on our addenda too. Probably not as quickly.

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
Congratulations!!! That is a pretty decent chunk to pay off so quickly! I am two months in to my plan to pay down my $286k mortgage in < 5 years. Looking at the amortization chart isn't so motivating yet, but I'm hoping it'll become more motivating next year.

mechanic baird

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
I am saving your spreadsheet as a souvenir! Good stuff indeed!! Very inspiring!

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 03:12:13 PM »
Wow, this thread got my gears turning about my own mortgage.  We're about to refi to a 15yr loan (but we're probably going to consider moving in 5-7years).

I live in a high cost of living area, so even my reasonable 45yr-old townhome cost $380k.  We're sitting on $285k of mortgage right now, and I ran the numbers to come up with the following scenarios and payoff dates:

Current Extra Payments = Oct. 2023
Add in minimizing our 401k contributions to get a company match, adding extra to mortgage = July 2020
Add on top of that no IRA contributions = Nov. 2018
Add on top of that our monthly taxable investments = August 2017

In theory, we could pay it off before our expected move.  Seems like too much of a pre-tax sacrifice though. 

travelbug

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 01:01:44 AM »
Congratulations! That is awesome.

mechanic baird

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
Wow, this thread got my gears turning about my own mortgage.  We're about to refi to a 15yr loan (but we're probably going to consider moving in 5-7years).

I live in a high cost of living area, so even my reasonable 45yr-old townhome cost $380k.  We're sitting on $285k of mortgage right now, and I ran the numbers to come up with the following scenarios and payoff dates:

Add in minimizing our 401k contributions to get a company match, adding extra to mortgage = July 2020

In theory, we could pay it off before our expected move.  Seems like too much of a pre-tax sacrifice though.

I wouldn't sacrifice pre-tax dollars.. by reducing mortgage, you lose tax deduction too, not contributing to your 401K and max out on IRA also hit your tax bill... The only way I would throw extra into mortgage is after you and your spouse max out on all retirement funds to take advantage of the tax deduction. When you have extra, then throw it into the mortgage..  With the recommended minimum 50% saving rate, you should be able to pull it off...

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »

I wouldn't sacrifice pre-tax dollars.. by reducing mortgage, you lose tax deduction too, not contributing to your 401K and max out on IRA also hit your tax bill... The only way I would throw extra into mortgage is after you and your spouse max out on all retirement funds to take advantage of the tax deduction. When you have extra, then throw it into the mortgage..  With the recommended minimum 50% saving rate, you should be able to pull it off...

I totally agree. It was more of an exercise in math just to see "what if" :)

laura

Re: Paid off $110K mortgage in less than 2 years
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »
Congratulations! We've got £89k to go - hope to do it in 3 years - and seeing others do it keeps me inspired. Thank you!

chopperdave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »
Great going!

Not sure why people use the deduction as an excuse to not pay it off early... Even if your marginal tax rate was 40%, you could pay $100 to the bank or $40 to the IRS.  I prefer the IRS at those rates.

The wife and I have already had our mortgage a bit over 2 year, but hope to not be too far behind you!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 07:22:14 AM »
Not sure why people use the deduction as an excuse to not pay it off early... Even if your marginal tax rate was 40%, you could pay $100 to the bank or $40 to the IRS.  I prefer the IRS at those rates.

Ugh, this fallacy bothers me more than most in the pay off the mortgage debate.

If I could borrow money, have it sit there, and write off 25% of the interest, of COURSE that's a bad deal.  But if I can use that money for something of value, and write off some of the interest, well that's a bonus.

Let's say I can borrow 10k and making 15k on it.  I have to pay 1k in interest.  Profit? 4k.  I'll make that deal every time.  And now I get to write off 25% of that interest, so now my profit is 4250?

I'll pay the bank every time, and count that IRS write off as gravy.  But people believing  the above will pay off that loan to save that 750 in interest, because they look at it as "it's not worth paying 750 to the bank to save 250" and miss the larger picture.

This is one of Dave Ramsey's big stupid remarks.  It doesn't come solely from him, but he spouts it off as gospel, when it's flat out wrong.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 08:20:53 AM »

100% agree - the exception is when a persons deductions aren't high enough to exceed the standard dedcution (and is expected to be that way in the foreseeable future), in that case there is no tax benefit so paying down may not be a bad idea.  Note this is purely from a tax perspective because with mortgage rates where they are it still may be better to keep the loan and invest as the leverage is so cheap.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »

100% agree - the exception is when a persons deductions aren't high enough to exceed the standard dedcution (and is expected to be that way in the foreseeable future), in that case there is no tax benefit so paying down may not be a bad idea.  Note this is purely from a tax perspective because with mortgage rates where they are it still may be better to keep the loan and invest as the leverage is so cheap.

Sure, that may be the case.  But if the interest write off is just a bonus, as it often is, then it still isn't worth paying down that loan.  In the above example, you profit 4k by spending 1k in tax.  If you don't get 250 of that interest back from the IRS because you take the standard deduction, oh well.  But to pay off that loan to save 1k in interest (and lose the 4k profit you could be making while holding that loan) is silly.

One needs to compare the totality of the situation - interest write off (or not) is just one small factor.  But too many people focus on just that, or just on paying no interest, that they lose sight of the larger picture.  So they accept blanket statements, instead of looking at their individual situation.

mechanic baird

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »

Let's say I can borrow 10k and making 15k on it.  I have to pay 1k in interest.  Profit? 4k. 
You think you can win $5K every year, but no investment return is guaranteed, especially in today's high risk environment. You could lose $5K if luck goes against you. See, at the end of the day, it's about risk assessment.

If you have a 4% mortgage and somehow our low interest era is finished and rate skyrocket to 10% and your CD is paying you 12% a year, then, you'd be a fool to pay off that mortgage. In your real estate investment situation, especially in Vegas, I would be very cautious to make an assumption that you can make $5K on $10K year in and year out, consistently for the next 20 years with no downs.. Risk is always there.

Another way to look at it.. If you have a paid off house and you have large sum of money left every month because of low expense, would you take out a loan against your house to buy a rental or would you stash up a large sum of cash very quickly  to buy a rental with cash and take in all positive cash flow? Most people don't like to take risk. When they have a paid off house and a very comfortable position of not entering debt, they just don't want to get into risk. That's the core difference between you and majority of the normal folks. You take risks, most don't like it..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:35:48 PM by mechanic baird »

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »
So awesome!!  Thank you for sharing your numbers.  It made it seem doable!!!!!!  I mean, obviously hard, but within reach!!!!!

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
What can I say but congratulations!!!

try2save

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »

If I could borrow money, have it sit there, and write off 25% of the interest, of COURSE that's a bad deal.  But if I can use that money for something of value, and write off some of the interest, well that's a bonus.

Let's say I can borrow 10k and making 15k on it.  I have to pay 1k in interest.  Profit? 4k.  I'll make that deal every time.  And now I get to write off 25% of that interest, so now my profit is 4250?

I'll pay the bank every time, and count that IRS write off as gravy.  But people believing  the above will pay off that loan to save that 750 in interest, because they look at it as "it's not worth paying 750 to the bank to save 250" and miss the larger picture.

This is one of Dave Ramsey's big stupid remarks.  It doesn't come solely from him, but he spouts it off as gospel, when it's flat out wrong.

that makes sense to me, but can someone share where I can make 5K on 10k and what is the time frame for making the 5K with a 10K investment? My current investments are making  more than my mortgage rate, but nothing close to 50%.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
that makes sense to me, but can someone share where I can make 5K on 10k and what is the time frame for making the 5K with a 10K investment? My current investments are making  more than my mortgage rate, but nothing close to 50%.

That was an example.   You're right that the return and time frame are relevant.

The point is that the interest deduction is one factor counted in against paying it down versus investing it.

People always talk about how they'd rather not pay the interest and get 25% back, they'd rather just not pay the other 75% of the interest paid at all... I'd rather pay the interest, if I can earn more investing it elsewhere.

If your investments are making more than your mortgage rate, don't pay it down, and be happy paying that interest (and the amount you get back via the interest deduction is just gravy).

If you'd like to discuss chasing yield and getting 50% returns, we can do that in another thread (and by all means, feel free to start one), but it's not particularly relevant to this one.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
Arebelspy - the mortgage deduction aspect is relevant to the conversation but your point is valid (as I noted above) but it simply making the case for leverage - it really doesn't matter if what the rate is if your expected return is greater than the leverage cost and that return meets your need. 

To your point - if I saw an an investment opportunity that I was confident it would double in 60 days but all my cash was tied up and I only had a 18% credit card to use, guess what I would do it because it would cost me 1.5% (assuming 30 day grace period) to double my money.....and the reality it wasn't my money in that case.

And mortgage money at 3% regardless of a deduction that is invested in a balanced portfolio seems like a good play.

fnord

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 08:14:45 AM »

namimomoftwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Haha, fnord :-) Thanks!

thrifted

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
you and your family are so many kinds of awesome!  congratulations on literally a dream come true.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »

It's only wrong if:

a) the investments actually make the projected amount of money (they don't always do that), and
b) your income stream stays in place so you can continue to pay the mortgage (which doesn't always happen, either).

You could lose a lot of money in a foreclosure sale.

It's all about risk vs. reward.   Neither is always certain to come about.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »
If you are borrowing at a cost at or below inflation, and your investments can't beat inflation long term, you have a lot more problems as an early retiree to deal with.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 08:34:20 AM »
That graph made my day. Exceedingly Bad Ass.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 08:08:25 PM »
If you are borrowing at a cost at or below inflation, and your investments can't beat inflation long term, you have a lot more problems as an early retiree to deal with.

In the long term, the mortgage is paid off and it's a moot point.

In the short term, those investments can lose money AND you can be out of a job, meaning no income stream to support the unpaid mortgage and no investments to sell that will dig you out of the mortgage payment cashflow problem.

Your approach is mathematically correct as long as bad things don't happen.

If enough of them do, it might not be.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 09:42:46 PM »
Mortgage = mort + gage = death + grip = death grip.  You are out of the death grip!  Congratulations!  Write off or not,  you are out of the death grip! 

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 06:52:43 AM »
Mortgage = mort + gage = death + grip = death grip.  You are out of the death grip!  Congratulations!  Write off or not,  you are out of the death grip!

As a French speaker I must say this is not quite the right translation. Mort = death. Gage is not grip at all. I had no idea Mortgage came from French words, so I looked online for its etymology and found out it's "Death Pledge"

So called because the deal dies either when the debt is paid or when payment fails.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=mortgage

Fuck I love word etymology.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 07:30:13 AM »

In the long term, the mortgage is paid off and it's a moot point.

In the short term, those investments can lose money AND you can be out of a job, meaning no income stream to support the unpaid mortgage and no investments to sell that will dig you out of the mortgage payment cashflow problem.

Your approach is mathematically correct as long as bad things don't happen.

If enough of them do, it might not be.

You WILL be out of a job - we're discussing an ER individual. 

And my point in that last post, which you clearly seem to have missed, is that if enough bad things happen, having a mortgage payment or not is irrelevant (see: retirement calculator from hell, part 4).

If they don't, you're way ahead having a mortgage at below inflation rates.

If your investments don't keep up with inflation, you'd better still be working, not ER'd.

And if I were fired, I'd rather have a huge liquid amount of money than have it locked up in a house.  Wait until you need food and can't sell your house.