Author Topic: OMG, just discovered Aldi's for food!  (Read 21194 times)

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
Re: OMG, just discovered Aldi's for food!
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »
I just heard Aldi sells bikes and bike stuff?  Anybody know when that is?  Is it annual like in the summer?

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »
I just heard Aldi sells bikes and bike stuff?  Anybody know when that is?  Is it annual like in the summer?
Never seen bikes. But yes, bike stuff usually late fall?

One year I picked up a hydration pack in late spring (maybe late May?) for something like $7. I was planning to get one from Costco for $25/30 so was thrilled! Quality has been decent so far but I bought it mostly because of their moneyback guarantee. Those things are susceptible to problems so I didn't want to take a chance on something from Walmart or whatevrr.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2019, 05:20:06 AM »
I'm checking out Aldi for the first time today as one of my goals for Uber Frugal January to cut back on groceries. There are two stores but they are both about 30 minutes away, and with two kids I've never had the energy to make it there and figure out a new grocery store. And it's too far to make it there by myself post-bedtime. But one location is down the street from the children's museum so we're going to try it out this morning. I have a hard time making it through a grocery store without at least one kid screaming though, so hopefully this all works out. 

WannaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2019, 07:06:02 PM »
Aldi tends to be smaller and pretty efficient. I get in and out of the store pretty quickly.

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 12:57:17 PM »
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 03:49:27 AM »
I too recently discovered the joys of Aldi!  We started shopping there a few months ago and now I'm totally hooked.  We have to drive an extra 30 minutes from our closest Wal-Mart, but it ends up working in our favor because we limit our shopping to about once a week (versus popping in every other day for "just a couple things").  I gasped the other day when I went into a different grocery store and saw milk was $2.50 a gallon.  The horror!  Aldi's are $.98.  We buy at least four gallons each time.  Grocery shopping went from $200-250 per week to $100-150 a week feeding a family of 5.  Still some trimming to do, but we're getting there.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:51:26 AM by randomusername »

What state do you live in, randomusername?  I can't believe you get milk for that price?  In my state of NJ, Aldi charges $2.91 for a gallon of milk, and that is cheap relative to other supermarkets.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 07:49:45 AM »
I too recently discovered the joys of Aldi!  We started shopping there a few months ago and now I'm totally hooked.  We have to drive an extra 30 minutes from our closest Wal-Mart, but it ends up working in our favor because we limit our shopping to about once a week (versus popping in every other day for "just a couple things").  I gasped the other day when I went into a different grocery store and saw milk was $2.50 a gallon.  The horror!  Aldi's are $.98.  We buy at least four gallons each time.  Grocery shopping went from $200-250 per week to $100-150 a week feeding a family of 5.  Still some trimming to do, but we're getting there.

What state do you live in, randomusername?  I can't believe you get milk for that price?  In my state of NJ, Aldi charges $2.91 for a gallon of milk, and that is cheap relative to other supermarkets.

I don't know what their deal is with milk and egg prices. Our local Aldi is generally around $3 for milk (maybe $0.50 less than other groceries), but sometime they drop to the $1-2 range. Similar story with eggs. Standard price is slightly better than everywhere else and then suddenly they're $0.50/dozen. It's not an advertised sale, but maybe the intention is to be a loss leader? Maybe they're overstocked?

Then there's another Aldi I go to in Charleston, South Carolina (higher COL area) where the milk & eggs are always under $2 & $1 respectively.

Anyone have insights as to how Aldi prices these items?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 09:06:16 AM »

I don't know what their deal is with milk and egg prices. Our local Aldi is generally around $3 for milk (maybe $0.50 less than other groceries), but sometime they drop to the $1-2 range. Similar story with eggs. Standard price is slightly better than everywhere else and then suddenly they're $0.50/dozen. It's not an advertised sale, but maybe the intention is to be a loss leader? Maybe they're overstocked?

Then there's another Aldi I go to in Charleston, South Carolina (higher COL area) where the milk & eggs are always under $2 & $1 respectively.

I spoke to a local manager, and they told me it's based on the region, and the stores/competition nearby. So if there are several grocery stores right near the Aldi, they'll undercut them.

And yes, they absolutely do get overstocked sometimes depending on bulk purchases, or stores in same region may end up being remodeled and their stock gets shifted to sister stores at a steep discount - unadvertised sales technically, or the manager in that particular store is super-sales happy and pushes things to clearance/markdowns faster than other stores.

They also have the ability to mark things down based on their own arbitrary time line based off sell-by dates. One store I go to, they'll discount anything 2 days before the sell-by date - sometimes I pay pennies on the dollar. Another store, they won't discount until day of sell-by and only 50% is offered, if that. And yet another one refuses to sell things at all and would rather pull the items and trash them if you point it out that they're getting ready to expire and ask if they can discount the stock to get rid of it.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 09:12:15 AM »
Aldi is our primary grocery store; we buy about 80% of our groceries there.  Anything we can't get there we get at a few other places like Walmart, Sprouts, local asian market, farmer's market, Whole Foods, etc.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 07:11:53 PM »
We just tried the Live G-Free gluten-free sandwich wraps. They were surprisingly good.

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2019, 03:20:45 PM »
Aldi is our primary source, and then WalMart for the rest.

I like the potato chips they have at WalMart (the lightly salted ones, which Aldi doesn't have), and then there are a few things here and there that I like at WalMart.

That said, Aldi is so wonderful.

bilmar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2019, 10:42:54 PM »
Aldi are good but their competitor Lidl is even Better. They are just starting to build store in the Carolinas and I cant want until they reach FL.

Meawhile, Target have really good permanent loss leaders on milk and eggs  - as in 30 eggs for $1.50 every day!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2019, 08:33:52 AM »
The Targets by me (Wisc) have terrible selection of groceries; less than half of the items I need, and very few selections of brands, quality and price.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2019, 01:51:42 PM »
Aldi are good but their competitor Lidl is even Better. They are just starting to build store in the Carolinas and I cant want until they reach FL.

Meawhile, Target have really good permanent loss leaders on milk and eggs  - as in 30 eggs for $1.50 every day!

I just went to Lidl for the first time this weekend.  They had boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.39 a pound and boneless skinless chicken thighs for $1.49 a pound so I had to go.  Definitely agree better than Aldi.  NC's Aldi's are really hit and miss in terms of quality, especially compared to the fantastic Aldi in our old neighborhood in St Louis. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2019, 02:13:32 PM »
You can often buy chicken leg quarters, 10 lb bag frozen at 49 cents per pound.  Just separate the leg from the thigh and pullt the skin off the thigh and debone.  Use the bone in homemade stock.  I save up a bag ofchicken bones in the frezer for stock.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »
Wasn't there another Aldi thread somewhere? Can't find it. Anyhoo, I just scored four beautiful big avocados for 59 cents each!

Other stuff I don't buy there cause it's just as expensive (or more) than other places.  Example: milk is $1.91 for a half gallon at Aldi's, and it's only around $1.80 at several  other stores.

Another thing I always score at Aldi's is the 12 grain bread at $1.89 for a 24 ounce loaf. Awesome!     

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »
My local Aldi stores have been selling 4-lb bags of very good navel oranges for $1.99/bag for the last 2 weeks. I hope the avocados are also still ridiculously cheap next week ($0.39 each last week).

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »
Mmmm.. thanks.. I am gonna buy several avocado and make some homemade guac :)

naj89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2019, 10:30:19 PM »
I do love Aldi, but unfortunately it is a bit of a drive to the nearest one currently. One is under construction in my town and hopefully will be opening this spring.

Not to derail, but wondering if anyone has done a price comparison of Aldi vs. Walmart grocery? I've shopped both and have found Walmart's selection to be better, with some items being less than Aldi and other items being more. It FEELS like a wash, but I don't have any concrete data to back that up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 11:31:25 PM »
I do love Aldi, but unfortunately it is a bit of a drive to the nearest one currently. One is under construction in my town and hopefully will be opening this spring.

Not to derail, but wondering if anyone has done a price comparison of Aldi vs. Walmart grocery? I've shopped both and have found Walmart's selection to be better, with some items being less than Aldi and other items being more. It FEELS like a wash, but I don't have any concrete data to back that up.

I shop at both. I think Aldi is considerably cheaper, especially on eggs and fresh produce. 

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2019, 07:17:31 AM »

I shop at both. I think Aldi is considerably cheaper, especially on eggs and fresh produce.

+1

Still have to supplement with things from walmart when Aldi doesn't have it, but Aldi is my first choice for most things because of cost.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2019, 08:41:40 AM »
Mmmm.. thanks.. I am gonna buy several avocado and make some homemade guac :)

Today’s Aldi flyer is still advertising $0.39 avocados. I also plan to stock up. :)

naj89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2019, 08:46:41 AM »
Thanks for the input terran and pbkmaine. Will definitely have to look at doing more at Aldi once it opens.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
Just wanted to chime in....finally made a serious go at the Aldi (not Aldi's) near my work a few weeks ago and am now committed. Obviously the prices are sweet but I love their whole process with the carts, minimal signs, fast checkout, etc. Will be visiting there once or twice a week for the foreseeable future. Aldi!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2019, 08:26:27 AM »

+1

Still have to supplement with things from walmart when Aldi doesn't have it, but Aldi is my first choice for most things because of cost.

Likewise.  There are a couple of items that are cheaper at Walmart or Sam's Club, and I sometimes need to supplement with items from Target or (shudder) the regular grocery store due to either selection or family preference, but Aldi is generally the cheapest.  The tallies are still coming in, and our monthly grocery nut does fluctuate somewhat, but early returns are indicating a savings of at least $200-$300/month since implementing this strategy.  Progress toward killing our food costs!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2019, 03:12:35 PM »
Aldis is running all there Take N bake pizzas by us for $4.99 for there 16" Dates on them go out till February 3rd. Snagged a Supreme, a 5 cheese and a Pepperoni. There very delicious!

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2019, 05:47:14 AM »
Aldis is running all there Take N bake pizzas by us for $4.99 for there 16" Dates on them go out till February 3rd. Snagged a Supreme, a 5 cheese and a Pepperoni. There very delicious!

*Aldi

Agreed, their pies are yummy.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2019, 06:26:00 AM »
Aldis is running all there* Take N bake pizzas by us for $4.99 for there* 16" Dates on them go out till February 3rd. Snagged a Supreme, a 5 cheese and a Pepperoni. There* very delicious!

*their
*their
*they're

I'm sorry :)

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »
There are a few within a 15 minute drive of my apartment. One of which just opened last year. They certainly have some interesting stuff (particularly of the snacking variety) and the prices are nice, but I found the selection a bit lacking. For example, I went a few weeks ago to the recently opened store for the first time, mostly to check it out, but I also needed to pick up some chickpeas for a recipe I was making and they didn't have any! Not sure if it was a one time thing or what, but it was pretty surprising.

2microsNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »
I dismissed Aldi when it first arrived in town four years ago because one of my colleagues -- a food snob who buys all his groceries at the food co-op -- openly criticized it as "weird" after checking it out one day. After reading this string, I finally went to our neighborhood Aldi this morning and I agree -- it's awesome! I just got two weeks of food for $34... avocados were $0.49 (!) apiece, yummy-looking hummus was $1.79 a tub, and black beans were $0.45 a can. I bought the freshest-looking fruits and veggies (not all of them looked fresh).

In addition to the cost savings, another advantage of buying produce at Aldi is that it will add variety to my diet; if I just buy what looks fresh each time I go, I'll come home with different fruits and veggies each time. When I shop at my usual grocery store, I tend to get the same produce each shop.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2019, 02:41:55 PM »
I dismissed Aldi when it first arrived in town four years ago because one of my colleagues -- a food snob who buys all his groceries at the food co-op -- openly criticized it as "weird" after checking it out one day.

Lesson learned: don't listen to what anyone says about something if you/they would describe them as a snob about that thing until you've checked it out yourself.

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2019, 06:38:23 PM »
There are a few within a 15 minute drive of my apartment. One of which just opened last year. They certainly have some interesting stuff (particularly of the snacking variety) and the prices are nice, but I found the selection a bit lacking. For example, I went a few weeks ago to the recently opened store for the first time, mostly to check it out, but I also needed to pick up some chickpeas for a recipe I was making and they didn't have any! Not sure if it was a one time thing or what, but it was pretty surprising.

They have the dried ones seasonally (I think) but always have the canned ones at my locations. The are labeled as Garbanzo beans.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2019, 02:32:39 AM »

If it turns out they are truly not carrying them, you can always ask them to.  I've had pretty good luck with that.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2019, 06:30:07 AM »

States have a minimum price they are legally allowed to sell milk at. In VA (6 yrs ago) it was $4. In most other states I've lived in it's about $2.50. So some of what you're seeing is state by state. In my state, Aldi sells the cheapest milk at $2.55 for whole. Even SAMs club is $3.00 for whole.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »

They have the dried ones seasonally (I think) but always have the canned ones at my locations. The are labeled as Garbanzo beans.

Thankfully I cleared up the Garbanzo/Chickpea confusion long ago so I always know to look for both! I didn't expect them to carry them dried, but figured they would certainly have them canned, but alas, I searched the entire store twice looking for them, but none were to be found.

If it turns out they are truly not carrying them, you can always ask them to.  I've had pretty good luck with that.

Thanks for the tip, Trifele. I intend to go back this weekend so I'll look again. If I don't find any I'll ask an employee to see whether or not they typically carry them and if not see if I can request that they do.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2019, 10:22:12 AM »

Thankfully I cleared up the Garbanzo/Chickpea confusion long ago so I always know to look for both! I didn't expect them to carry them dried, but figured they would certainly have them canned, but alas, I searched the entire store twice looking for them, but none were to be found.

Thanks for the tip, Trifele. I intend to go back this weekend so I'll look again. If I don't find any I'll ask an employee to see whether or not they typically carry them and if not see if I can request that they do.

I learned in my Business Strategy class this year that Aldi specifically positions themselves within a certain distance of other grocery options so consumers can go to the other store to get the things they don't carry.  Their choices of stock are very intentional. (Like you, I've found they often don't have all the things I need. But the savings on MOST of the things I need is good enough we shop there.)

Versatile

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2019, 09:21:10 PM »
Aldi is great for fresh vegetables at very reasonable prices. Surprisingly, they have a few decent beers they sell from Germany that I really like. I do get tired of the lack of bags though simply because I tend to forget to bring my totes.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2019, 09:34:13 PM »
Aldi is great for fresh vegetables at very reasonable prices. Surprisingly, they have a few decent beers they sell from Germany that I really like. I do get tired of the lack of bags though simply because I tend to forget to bring my totes.

I always buy the brown paper bags they have there at aldi at checkout.  They are like 7 cents a piece if I recall.  I usually get about 3 or 4.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2019, 06:34:09 AM »

I always buy the brown paper bags they have there at aldi at checkout.  They are like 7 cents a piece if I recall.  I usually get about 3 or 4.

Yeah, those are very sturdy bags. They’ve come in handy around the house.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2019, 10:58:08 PM »
Our usual Aldi store has been closed for about a month for remodel. I believe it's supposed to open back up next week. Can't wait, because we've been spoiled by the cost savings compared to our other options. Aldi usually isn't a one stop shop but we can get most of our essentials for under $100.

Retireatee1

• Stubble
    • Retireator.org
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2019, 03:40:12 PM »
The credit card thing is a drag but I've always had a good experience there.  It's just a bit tough for me to drive past Walmart just to go there.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2019, 04:07:55 PM »
The credit card thing is a drag but I've always had a good experience there.  It's just a bit tough for me to drive past Walmart just to go there.

Credit card thing?  Aldi accepts credit cards (they have for a few years now). 

Retireatee1

• Stubble
    • Retireator.org
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »

Credit card thing?  Aldi accepts credit cards (they have for a few years now).

Is that right?  It's been a few years since I've been there.  Tell me the shopping carts don't have "rental" fees either now.  :-)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2019, 06:35:58 PM »
Our usual Aldi store has been closed for about a month for remodel. I believe it's supposed to open back up next week. Can't wait, because we've been spoiled by the cost savings compared to our other options. Aldi usually isn't a one stop shop but we can get most of our essentials for under $100.
The Milwaukee area is remodeling all their stores - adding liquor and bakery sections.

LLVbuckeye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2019, 10:12:01 PM »
I'm also all over Aldi's and love it, but I have one issue I never have a quarter for a cart,LOL

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »
I'm also all over Aldi's and love it, but I have one issue I never have a quarter for a cart,LOL

HA! I keep 4 or 5 quarters in one of my car cup holders just for the Aldi (note Aldi, not Aldi's) visit. The other day while walking out, an elderly woman said "Oh, I'll take that cart" but didn't offer me a quarter for it. Fine....I didn't ask for a quarter

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2019, 05:43:00 PM »

HA! I keep 4 or 5 quarters in one of my car cup holders just for the Aldi (note Aldi, not Aldi's) visit. The other day while walking out, an elderly woman said "Oh, I'll take that cart" but didn't offer me a quarter for it. Fine....I didn't ask for a quarter

I’m very protective of my Aldi car quarters.

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2019, 08:06:27 PM »
One of the first things I do when I enter the parking lot is look for any abandoned carts, so I can earn a quarter, sometimes two!!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2019, 10:41:15 PM »
I keep like 20 quarters in the car's change holder for toll & aldi carts.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2019, 05:09:39 AM »
One of the first things I do when I enter the parking lot is look for any abandoned carts, so I can earn a quarter, sometimes two!!

Super mustachian right there!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!