Author Topic: Oatmeal  (Read 39719 times)

yakamashii

• Stubble
Re: Oatmeal
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2016, 01:46:03 AM »
My wife and I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day, with whatever fruit is on hand or in the freezer, cinnamon and brown sugar. She started adding walnuts last month, and they have really enhanced the dish. A month in, and I can still feel the decadence and richness. Take that, hedonistic adaptation!

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2016, 04:23:02 AM »

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2016, 06:53:47 AM »
To save money on oatmeal, I buy bags of unrolled oat groats direct from the mill and grind them into flakes myself. Its got lots of mustache benefits: I get a nice arm work out from hauling the 50lb bags of grains, I get a daily workout from grinding grains, so it's truly muscle over motor. I support local farmers and cut out the middle man by buying directly from the mill, and I end up paying a lower price for organic oats then I would pay for rolled conventional oats in the store.

This is seriously badass! How do you grind your own oats? I know coffee grinding at home is common, but I hadn't heard of grinding oats. Do they end up like the flakey instant type or more hearty rolled consistency?

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »
Breakfast quinoa - yum yum. http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-breakfast-quinoa/
-ap
I made a quinoa using orange juice instead of water to cook it. Came out so good!

FarmFund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2016, 07:55:31 PM »

This is seriously badass! How do you grind your own oats? I know coffee grinding at home is common, but I hadn't heard of grinding oats. Do they end up like the flakey instant type or more hearty rolled consistency?

Thanks! I have a hand-cranked grain mill that I use. To make "rolled oats", the oats pass through a series of heavy metal rollers as you crank the handle. It makes nice flakes. My particular mill also allows me to grind grains down finer into flour, so in addition to buying oats in bulk from the mill, I buy wheat and spelt groats to make my own flour. It's a lot more nutritious because it's truly a "whole grain" product. Plus you get to do a lot of fun science in terms of learning about the different proteins in grains and what they are useful for.

If I want my flour to be a bit finer then what the mill will grind by hand, then I do have a small electric coffee grinder that I use, but the bulk of my grain processing is with the hand mill. I don't think you can flake or roll grains without one. They are a bit pricey new, but turn up used from time to time.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2016, 09:52:48 PM »
This thread inspired me, and yesterday I went shopping at Winco and got ingredients for my first batch of home-mixed oatmeal.  I usually buy nuts and spices there, but there's a whole other section with oats, flour, sugar, etc., that I hadn't been to.  I was surprised at how many things were there and how cheap they were!  I was like a kid in a candy store.. here's what I ended up buying:

Quick Oats               - $0.77
Instant Milk              - $0.96
Raisins                     - $0.75
Freeze Dried Apples - $3.48
Coconut Flakes         - $0.98
Sliced Almonds         - $1.57
Walnut Pieces           - $1.88
Chia Seeds               - $0.83
Flax Seeds               - $0.20
Coconut Sugar         - $0.14
Total Spent             - $11.56

Also used salt and cinnamon from the pantry.  I ended up with about 3 quarts of finished product, which I imagine will last a while.  I've eaten it a few days now, and have some things I will do differently next time. 
  • No sugar.  I remembered why I don't have it at the house, don't need it.
  • Use 1/2 the freeze dried apples instead of whole bag, or better yet find a better deal.
  • Find and use whole milk powder instead of non-fat if possible, and at least double this ingredient (more experiments to follow).
  • Add more almonds and coconut to round out the meal.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2016, 06:13:11 AM »
I made an exciting new discovery this morning! I had a cup of buttermilk left over from making colcannon so I decided to use it with my oatmeal. I generally use skim or almond milk to cook my oatmeal so this was something new.

1/2 c rolled oats
1 c low fat buttermilk
1 cup frozen mixed berries

Microwave on high 3 minutes, then sweeten with vanilla stevia

I expected it to taste a little weird but didn't want to waste the buttermilk. OMG, tastes like cheesecake!!!!

OMG,

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2016, 07:12:06 AM »
I made an exciting new discovery this morning! I had a cup of buttermilk left over from making colcannon so I decided to use it with my oatmeal. I generally use skim or almond milk to cook my oatmeal so this was something new.

1/2 c rolled oats
1 c low fat buttermilk
1 cup frozen mixed berries

Microwave on high 3 minutes, then sweeten with vanilla stevia

I expected it to taste a little weird but didn't want to waste the buttermilk. OMG, tastes like cheesecake!!!!

OMG,
I use homemade kefir (another fermented dairy product) in place of milk sometimes. My little grains do make some sour kefir though, so I have to sweeten around it--but soooo creamy! You could use store bought as well (and I have), but it's expensive and the bugs are mostly dead.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2018, 04:33:55 AM »
Does anyone know how to make oatmeal taste like mashed potatoes? I love mashed potatoes and oatmeal has a similar texture.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »
Does anyone know how to make oatmeal taste like mashed potatoes? I love mashed potatoes and oatmeal has a similar texture.

I've never tried it with oatmeal, but have had polenta (corn product) and millet both made with milk and butter that seemed very mashed potato like.

dacalo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2018, 11:12:49 AM »
We have free oatmeal at work complete with all sorts of toppings. Can’t beat that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »

I've never tried it with oatmeal, but have had polenta (corn product) and millet both made with milk and butter that seemed very mashed potato like.

Do a savory oatmeal . . .  add salt, pepper, garlic to the oats and cook them.  Then when they're done cover liberally with grated cheese and chives / green onions.  It's in the realm of potatoe-y taste (although the texture is not all that similar).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 07:16:09 AM by GuitarStv »

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2018, 10:48:30 PM »
Try stirring a spoonful or two of humus into the microwaved oats.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2018, 06:47:34 AM »
I like to have my quick-cook oats with a dash of salt, pepper, a few cranberries/raisins, some chopped/sliced almonds/walnuts. A little sweet & heat. Pairs well with a fwench-pwess coffee.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2018, 07:01:21 AM »
I tried a recipe I saw on the internet and liked it a lot. It is oatmeal, grated parm cheese, doused with soy sauce and chopped scallions. Really good!

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
I'm so extremely hip that I had my porridge with soy golden milk this morning (and blueberries + chopped nectarines). Not too strong as I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the taste at breakfast, but it was pretty good.

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2018, 03:33:37 PM »
My go to breakfast lately had been oatmeal mixed into a bit of Greek yogurt with some of that peanut butter powder and cut up banana. Mix it all up into a thick, tasty, and filling meal.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
Hmm... clearly, this thread should be moved to "antimustachian wall of shame and comedy" because instant oatmeal packets aren't badass enough!

I'll try to do better once I run out of the current supply.

And don't forget you glossed over the Lurking Danger of Oatmeal, too.

Oh Great! I start reading this thread and decide to make oatmeal, 1/2 cup outs 1 cup watr 1-3/4 minute in the microwave.
 I cut up a banana and eat it. I never eat oatmeal, my wife has it every morning. I kinda liked it, and it was ready in 3 minutes!
 Then you have to post, "Lurking Danger of Oatmeal"
https://www.google.com/search?q=Lurking+Danger+of+Oatmeal&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
 "It's always something!"   :-)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »
I love prepping jars of overnight oats for the week..it's like pudding in the morning
(a cooler temp meal so usually better in warmer weather or with hot blueberries on top..yum).

Oats, maybe a half-banana, or spoonful of pb or chia, cinnamon, etc mixed in a jar or bowl.

Toss in some yogourt or I use a bit of home-made oatmilk (blend 1 L water with 1 cup oats, strain through nutmilk bag..and that's our milk for the week) and it soaks it all up overnight.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2018, 03:26:38 AM »
BTDretire, there is always some study going on and we are all going to die for eating good things. There was the egg scare, coffee scare, wine scare now the oatmeal scare! Now eggs are good, coffee is good and red wine is good. Oatmeal has always been good but now bad. They do the studies on mice and correlate that information into if people ate or drank this stuff. My grandfather lived to 110 years old. He was a farmer and plowed the fields with mules and manual labor. He ate lots of beans during his life and cornbread. Maybe that is the answer to a long life. Manual labor too. All their food was grown on their farm including chicken and eggs. So I guess we all should buy a farm and go back to the old ways and we all will live to 110. Oh, I forgot to mention he chewed tobacco. He never got cancer.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »
So I guess we all should buy a farm and go back to the old ways and we all will live to 110.

Too small a sample size, not randomized to treatment.  The sum of anecdotes is not evidence.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2018, 07:03:56 AM »
Made steel cut oats (not instant) in my crockpot this morning. When ready to eat I added half a banana and crunchy peanut butter. Yummo!

highplainsdrifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »
I feel like this thread needs some more oatmeal recipes because oatmeal needs some more love for being awesome.

I'm into the overnight oat recipes. Especially if they have mashed up banana in them.

In a mason jar - I usually make 4 mason jars worth at a time.

1/3 to 1/2 cup liquid such as dairy
milk, almond, cashew or coconut milk
1/3 to 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 to 1/2 cup yogurt, optional
1 teaspoon chia seeds, optional but highly recommended
1/2 banana, mashed, optional
Serving suggestions: fruit (fresh or dried), nuts, nut butter, seeds, protein powder, granola, coconut, spices, citrus zest and vanilla extract

I love the flavor of this one. The only issue is that the matcha is pretty expensive.

1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/4 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon powdered matcha green tea
Small pinch of salt
3-4 fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2-3 tablespoon fresh blueberries

chrisgermany

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2018, 04:16:33 AM »
I often prepared a jar of overnight oats as my office lunch. Just oats, fruit juice, joghurt or buttermilk or kefir, some leftover fruit like mashed banana, dry fruit if available, frozen fruit to keep it cool.
Yummy.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2018, 04:23:03 AM »
I can only take so much sweet oatmeal. I am thinking of oatmeal and chicken pieces, chicken gravy.

Then maybe crumbled up sausage, oatmeal with sausage gravy.

Oatmeal, deli ham chopped up and parmesan cheese.

krystoph

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2018, 07:43:56 AM »
1 egg
1 slice of smoked turkey
1 slice of havarti cheese
2 slices of whole wheat bread with a bit of mayo
16oz of water

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2018, 08:44:05 AM »
1 egg
1 slice of smoked turkey
16oz of water

I feel that your oatmeal is lacking a critical ingredient.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2018, 08:57:20 AM »
Regarding GI/GL...oatmeal (at least steel cut or whole rolled/old fashioned) has a moderate glycemic index, but the glycemic load might be higher than you think due to the larger portion size.  The GI/GL can climb higher yet when commonly added things like sugar, maple syrup, milk, or fruit are included.  Quick-cooking or instant oats?  Forget about it -- that's a post-prandial glucose nightmare (especially when augmented with various sweeteners).  Super useful for weight lifters who are trying to spike insulin and grow huge though!

This isn't such a big deal if you're young and metabolically healthy, but is more important to consider if you want to stay that way, or are already in the metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes/diabetes camp.

Having said all that, I frequently enjoy a savory bowl of steel cut oats with some pastured butter and lots of cinnamon.  Yum.  Very satisfying with a cup of coffee.  And filling, so long as I also have some scrambled eggs and sausage.  :D

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:13 AM »
I have to agree, I eat steel cut oats and eat a decent portion but in a hour or so I am hungry. Other people say they are full till lunch! Not me!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »
1 egg
1 slice of smoked turkey
16oz of water

I feel that your oatmeal is lacking a critical ingredient.

Hahah -- nice one.  :)

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2018, 08:28:30 AM »
I normally buy our oats in the 10 lb box (Quaker rolled oats) from Costco for $7.99.  Since I no longer work near Costco, I don't go there very often and our membership is due for renewal.  Naturally I'd like to put the renewal off as long as possible, now we are also reconsidering if we are going to renew...DH eats oats with oat bran with 2 fried eggs on top and hot sauce, every single day.  Our health food store where I would purchase the oat bran, from the bulk bins, recently closed.  So I went to Ocean State for Bob's Red Mill for oat bran and decided to grab a bag of oatmeal, also since we are low.  I had planned to get it at Aldi, but didn't want to make another stop during rush hour.  If I'm not mistaken Aldi sell old fashioned oats 42 oz for $2.29.  Well the 2 Lb bag of Bob's Red Mill was $3.99!  Now I want to return it because that is just ridiculous, but I feel sort of silly!  I'm also considering using the Bob's oats for Granola, since they are the extra thick variety.  What would you do?  What would I say if I return them??         

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2018, 08:41:59 AM »
I would return them!

Have you looked into Costco on line? If you get a minimum order of maybe $75 your get free shipping. I do it all the time. Have not ordered oatmeal but maybe you can get it that way.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »
I had planned to get it at Aldi, but didn't want to make another stop during rush hour.  If I'm not mistaken Aldi sell old fashioned oats 42 oz for $2.29.  Well the 2 Lb bag of Bob's Red Mill was $3.99!  Now I want to return it because that is just ridiculous, but I feel sort of silly!  I'm also considering using the Bob's oats for Granola, since they are the extra thick variety.  What would you do?

Aldi price is about $0.05/oz.  Bob's price is about $0.12/oz.  You paid an extra ~$.07 x 32 = $2.24 for the Bob's brand.   If it's worth your time and effort to recover $2.24, go for it.  Don't forget to include the cost of your time and gas if you have to make an extra/unplanned trip to Ocean State.

What would I say if I return them??

I don't want these/don't need these/found a much better price elsewhere/developed a sudden oatmeal allergy.

ospreyjp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2018, 05:34:27 AM »
I believe the key to avoiding the glycemic surge here is to stick to steel-cut and thick rolled oats.  These break down more slowly than instant or quick-cooking and also keep you feeling full longer (a definite plus if you are trying to avoid snacking before lunch). 

For my breakfast, I have been making a granola at a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio of thick rolled oats to steel-cut oats.  I then add peanut butter, olive oil, a small amount of honey, real cinnamon (not cassia), ground flax meal, and walnuts to the raw oats before baking for 30 minutes. 

Instead of milk (ever see how much sugar is in milk?), I pour my own homemade unsweetened soy milk (made in my Soya Joy machine) over a bowl each morning. The homemade soy milk is much cheaper than what I can buy at the store, and tastes better in my opinion.  I also save additional money by buying both the thick rolled, and steel-cut oats, online from an online retailer (Kauffman's) at a great price.

Money saved, health improved, and a great-tasting breakfast every morning - my inner-Scot is happy with oatmeal!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:37:29 AM by ospreyjp »

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:02 PM »
I don't have much to add here...I'm just damn impressed that the topic of oatmeal has garnered 41 replies in a little over 24 hours!!  We truly are a different breed.  For the record I like oatmeal but found I started getting sick of it if I ate it everyday so have scaled back.  Also I agree it doesn't keep you full quite as much as eggs.   Still a great choice though.

I still don’t have much to add,  but I’m back almost two years later to say how impressed I am that the topic of “oatmeal” continues to be debated.  Still shaking my head.  For the record I still love oatmeal but don’t make it as much as I used to.  So simple, cheap and quick.  Oatmeal is “badassity” when you do it yourself.  Carry on...

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
I normally buy our oats in the 10 lb box (Quaker rolled oats) from Costco for $7.99.  Since I no longer work near Costco, I don't go there very often and our membership is due for renewal.  Naturally I'd like to put the renewal off as long as possible, now we are also reconsidering if we are going to renew...DH eats oats with oat bran with 2 fried eggs on top and hot sauce, every single day.  Our health food store where I would purchase the oat bran, from the bulk bins, recently closed.  So I went to Ocean State for Bob's Red Mill for oat bran and decided to grab a bag of oatmeal, also since we are low.  I had planned to get it at Aldi, but didn't want to make another stop during rush hour.  If I'm not mistaken Aldi sell old fashioned oats 42 oz for $2.29.  Well the 2 Lb bag of Bob's Red Mill was $3.99!  Now I want to return it because that is just ridiculous, but I feel sort of silly!  I'm also considering using the Bob's oats for Granola, since they are the extra thick variety.  What would you do?  What would I say if I return them??         
Well I returned the oats to ocean state and just said that I found a better deal.  I also found  myself near Costco while taking my mom to a doctor appointment yesterday.  So I did renew my membership and bought 10 lbs of oatmeal!  I think I forgot to mention that we use our electric tea kettle and just pour boiled water over the oats in a bowl and cover with a plate for a few minutes!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2018, 10:22:06 PM »
Made steel cut oats (not instant) in my crockpot this morning. When ready to eat I added half a banana and crunchy peanut butter. Yummo!

Oh man....   I had a cold last week, and in a fit of lazyness and cravings sweets... i had steel cut oatmeal and nutella topping.

yum!

My favorite breakfast/ lunch is steel cut oats with a fried egg.  Someone in the forum suggested it a few years ago and wow.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2018, 11:11:31 PM »
Following this thread to remind myself to buy/eat oatmeal more often. I'm lazy so I usually don't do anything fancy, just plain (sometimes with milk and/or egg) with maple syrup, or cooked with mashed banana. Does the job filling me up for a great price. Keen to try a savoury version sometime!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2018, 04:36:44 AM »
Saw a YouTube video on making peanut butter, honey, oat bars. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtT8BDpvfPM

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »
Dates! I just started using them with slivered almonds and a dash of cinnamon. So nice and sweet. Going to make oatmeal muffins with them later too. Also I just eat them straight out of the bag and they are tasty even though they look like smushed cockroaches. Dates, I can't believe how delicious they are!

This post sponsored by the national coalition of date producers.