Author Topic: Oatmeal  (Read 39718 times)

Jschange

Re: Oatmeal
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2016, 10:14:15 PM »
I vote for stove cooked medium flake oats cooked in half milk half water, topped as desired.

AND

Peaches and cream instant oatmeal (the peaches are  Apple, the cream is milk and fat).

My mouth is both trashy and classy. I tried the take out oatmeal once, it was both gross and overpriced.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2016, 11:11:24 PM »
Just started eating oatmeal and I'm slapping my forehead that I never thought to use milk instead of water. I'm trying to gain healthy weight during pregnancy and so every day I've been eating an extra oatmeal snack with brown sugar and raisins (yes, too much sugar, I have a terrible sweet tooth). Will have to try the other recipes in here soon, thank you all for sharing!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2016, 01:45:59 AM »
I don't like the oatmeal that comes in sachets. It's far too sweet for my liking. Besides, the supermarket sells bags (maybe 750g or so) of the stuff for about $1.20.

I haven't had much for a while because it's been too damn warm for a bowl of oatmeal. I might need to work out some good ways to prepare it that's suited to warm weather, particularly something that can be prepared in advance for a few days :)

Abel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2016, 05:19:57 AM »
I just want to chime in and say thank you to all the fellow oatmeal enthusiasts who made this thread possible. We should get our own sub-forum!

My personal oatmeal go-to: bulk steel-cut or rolled oats from Costco or similar. Portion out in a jar, add almond milk and peanut butter, soak overnight. Heat up in the morning, add mix of nuts (I have a giant airtight container where I mix bulk pecans/walnuts/almonds from Costco and I throw in two handfuls from it) and a dash of honey. Delicious and filling and economical.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2016, 07:20:43 AM »
My personal oatmeal go-to: bulk steel-cut or rolled oats from Costco or similar. Portion out in a jar, add almond milk and peanut butter, soak overnight. Heat up in the morning, add mix of nuts (I have a giant airtight container where I mix bulk pecans/walnuts/almonds from Costco and I throw in two handfuls from it) and a dash of honey. Delicious and filling and economical.
Okay where does Costco keep the steel-cut oats? I hunted and hunted last time I was there (thanks for letting me use your car rental, Dad!), and couldn't find them. I found the huge boxes of Quaker packets and the bulk rolled. I even found bulk farro and quinoa. But no steel-cut. Is my Costco just weird?

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
Okay where does Costco keep the steel-cut oats? I hunted and hunted last time I was there (thanks for letting me use your car rental, Dad!), and couldn't find them. I found the huge boxes of Quaker packets and the bulk rolled. I even found bulk farro and quinoa. But no steel-cut. Is my Costco just weird?

I couldn't find them at mine either, though a quick google shows they were carrying Bob's Red Mill brand at some point in the past. Aldi has steel cut fairly inexpensively, if there's one local to you.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2016, 08:45:13 AM »
I keep steel-cut, rolled, and packets (unflavored) in the cupboard. Which I make and how I use them depends on my mood and how much time I have, but I'll have either steel-cut or rolled almost every morning. I don't like mine sweet--I make it with milk or half-milk, half-water, and throw on a handful of walnuts. If I have berries or grapes, I might throw them on top. I also like to top it with a tablespoon of almond or cashew butter.  The packets are for the grandchildren. They love them made with whole milk instead of water, microwaved for 1 minute 30 seconds on high, and then covered with lashings of real butter and brown sugar.

I buy all three kinds at Aldi, although sometimes I have to go to another grocery to get the plain packets for the kids. Our Aldi seems to have a lot of the different-flavored packets, but not always the plain.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2016, 08:47:10 AM »
The idea of paying that much for oatmeal hurts my feelings....

but instant oatmeal just makes me sad. LOL

I agree. I grew up eating those little instant packs and love them, but when I realized recently how much sugar and potentially icky things are added, I've gone to just keeping a large canister of "old fashioned" oats in the break room to which I add boiling water from the machine and add a handful of flax seeds and dried fruit and whatever else I've got handy that sounds good.

I'm going to try soon bringing a week's worth of hard boiled eggs to work as well since protein first thing in the morning really seems to help keep me going.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2016, 09:34:33 AM »
I am not too crazy about steel cut oats, but like the traditional rolled oats.  I get mine at Aldi.  I cook half a cup of oats in a cup of water on the stove with a pinch of salt.  Once cooked, slice a banana into it and add a handful of walnuts, sprinkle some cinnamon and it's ready to go.  If I feel like it, I add some ground flax seed.  No sugar other than the natural sweetness from the banana and cinnamon.  It's my favorite breakfast by far that I could eat every day for months on end.

Instant oatmeal is crap.

cnash1303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2016, 10:22:07 AM »
Oatmeal and Oat lovers - Can anyone suggest recipes (other than "bowl of oatmeal") they like to help me use up thick cut rolled oats?

I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast. To save money, I buy thick cut rolled oats in bulk. However, I will be relocating in 2 months and have...many many lbs remaining from what was once a 50 lb bag of oats. I would like to use up as much as possible without needing to buy a lot of new/unusual ingredients (I have basic pantry staples) or eating super unhealthy (so, no, oatmeal cookies every day is not a good plan).

If it wasn't likely to make a mess, I am at the point where I will be packing fragile items in oats...

Thanks!

First of all, reading this thread got me curious so I ended up reading this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexkantrowitz/this-is-what-happens-if-you-make-your-oatmeal-with-coffee-in#.xgn26wXn7. For those of you who will not read it - You can add coffee to oatmeal instead of water and it makes a good breakfast!

Second, my favorite thing to do with oats (I had a similar problem to you about a year ago) is make granola. There is instructions all over the internet, but the simple method is this -

1. Take oats and put them in a bowl
2. Add maple syrup, Sugar free syrup, or honey
3. Stir that shit up
4. Add any nuts or fruit you would like (i personally don't add any)
5. Put it in the oven (lots of grease on the pan/ preferably wax paper or foil) at 350-400 for about 20 minutes (I don't bake much...so my advice is check it every once in awhile)
6. Put it in a mason jar and eat it whenever you need a snack OR add some milk and make cereal.

Also if you put it in a mason jar and make it look super fancy, it makes great christmas presents.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:11:43 AM by cnash1303 »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »
Scottish oatcakes, maybe? There are a lot of different recipes online.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2016, 03:12:12 PM »
Scottish oatcakes, maybe? There are a lot of different recipes online.

I can vouch for these:

http://pastrychefbaking.blogspot.com/2009/12/margarets-oatmeal-hotcakes.html

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2016, 03:28:24 PM »
Oatmeal and Oat lovers - Can anyone suggest recipes (other than "bowl of oatmeal") they like to help me use up thick cut rolled oats?

I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast. To save money, I buy thick cut rolled oats in bulk. However, I will be relocating in 2 months and have...many many lbs remaining from what was once a 50 lb bag of oats. I would like to use up as much as possible without needing to buy a lot of new/unusual ingredients (I have basic pantry staples) or eating super unhealthy (so, no, oatmeal cookies every day is not a good plan).

If it wasn't likely to make a mess, I am at the point where I will be packing fragile items in oats...

Thanks!

I'm not too fond of oatmeal porridge, though my kids will eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and evening meal if they can. But at home, we always had a big bag of it, and added oats to almost everything. Good way to stretch the food, and I like the taste. A cup of oats to a pound of meat makes better meatballs and meatloaf. I never make bread or rolls without a few cups of oats. For waffles and pancakes I prefer to use leftover porridge; I think the texture is better.

EuroGap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2016, 11:39:17 PM »
Oatmeal is a life saver! I keep a large box of it in a cabinet at the office for a regular once-a-weak oatmeal lunch along with insurance for when I forget to bring my other pack-in lunches.

My blend includes:

Oatmeal
Sunflower seeds
Coconut flakes
Raisins
Various dried fruits

After cooking I add a sliced banana. As to feeling hungry later on, my experience is that it lasts just as long as any other food.

richyf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2016, 02:41:22 AM »
Aldi oatmeal!

Yes!!!

A bag of Aldi oatmeal costs the equivalent of a dollar here in the UK. It'll last me about 6 weeks of breakfasts at work.
I throw in some dried fruit to make it a little sweeter. I love peanut butter but never thought to put it in my oatmeal... thanks for the inspiration guys!

I have been know to have a second helping as an emergency dinner at work if I've forgot to bring in my lunch.

I have been thinking of doing a week long oatmeal challenge/experiment. Eating nothing but oatmeal (with toppings) for a week. I mentioned it to my partner & she said I'm stupid... she's not an oatmeal lover :-)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 02:46:25 AM by richyf »

Abel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2016, 05:10:37 AM »
Aldi oatmeal!

Yes!!!

A bag of Aldi oatmeal costs the equivalent of a dollar here in the UK. It'll last me about 6 weeks of breakfasts at work.
I throw in some dried fruit to make it a little sweeter. I love peanut butter but never thought to put it in my oatmeal... thanks for the inspiration guys!

I have been know to have a second helping as an emergency dinner at work if I've forgot to bring in my lunch.

I have been thinking of doing a week long oatmeal challenge/experiment. Eating nothing but oatmeal (with toppings) for a week. I mentioned it to my partner & she said I'm stupid... she's not an oatmeal lover :-)

I love my oatmeal more than most, but I think a week of nothing-but-oatmeal would potentially ruin an otherwise fantastic food so beware. I am fully supportive of oatmeal-once-every-day for a week, or beyond...it's crazy economical and delicious, and you can make a different variety every day to keep things fresh. (another ingredient addition that I sometimes like: greek yogurt).

Eowyn_MI

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2016, 05:33:08 AM »

Thanks!

"Mexican Lasagna"

Similar to regular lasagna except you use thin layers of oats in place of lasagna noodles.  The tomato sauce has bell peppers and kidney beans (no meat) but that really doesn't matter if all you are trying to do is use up the oats.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »
The posts here about savory oatmeal led me to try frying up slices of yesterday's (steel-cut) oatmeal in bacon fat to accompany my bacon and eggs. Got a nice crust on it, which was yummy, but the middle was a little boring. GF suggested I add cheese next time, and I think I will.

There are recipes around for oatmeal upma (basically Indian pilaf), but I haven't tried any of them yet:

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/oats-upma-recipe/

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2016, 03:01:46 PM »
Brackenjoy posted this recipe for two ingredient cookies (just bananas and quick oats) and I've been taking a couple to work for snacks every day since. I add cocoa and raisins to mine because the only thing better than healthy cookies is healthy chocolate cookies. They also freeze well.

http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »
Add one one-inch square chunk of butter before cooking. Makes for a very nice, rich flavor. I sometimes add pepper/salt and cheese. Filling!
We usually buy the 'old-fashioned' which just means it comes in bigger pieces. Recently there was a big sale and the old fashioned was sold out, so I got ten pounds of quick. Spouse was not happy, but since she doesn't eat it anyway...
If you read up on oatmeal, the main difference between the two is how finely they are cut up. Some instant oats may also be steamed to pre-cook them. Really no reason to hate on instant oatmeal.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2016, 05:48:27 PM »
I've found my place!

It makes me laugh when people call me healthy when they see me using the water cooler hot water to make my oatmeal every morning.
I use 1/4 cup quick oats, a heaping spoon of brown sugar  (i have that sweet tooth too) cinnamon and nutmeg and 20 turns of the salt grinder, lol.
It doesn't feel healthy,  it feels decadent. And i don't eat it to be healthy. 

When I ran out of cinnamon,  i started using cocoa powder.  Chocolate isnt my favorite  but it is pretty good! One day,  i was  extra hungry and I spooned in some peanut butter.  MMmmm like Reeses oatmeal.
I'll need to try this make ahead in the instant pot steel cut.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
I make mine with milk and protein powder- then add dried fruit- or fresh fruit on top. So DELICIOUS.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2016, 12:04:33 PM »
I've found my place!

It makes me laugh when people call me healthy when they see me using the water cooler hot water to make my oatmeal every morning.
I use 1/4 cup quick oats, a heaping spoon of brown sugar  (i have that sweet tooth too) cinnamon and nutmeg and 20 turns of the salt grinder, lol.

When I ran out of cinnamon,  i started using cocoa powder.  Chocolate isnt my favorite  but it is pretty good! One day,  i was  extra hungry and I spooned in some peanut butter.  MMmmm like Reeses oatmeal.
I've been sick the past couple days, so I totally spoiled myself with chocolate, chocolate chip steel cut oats this morning.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
Yeah- I've found it costs what like 5 bucks for the 8-10 packs of instant oats? even in my pre-stash days I couldn't justify the cost difference considering a big container is the same with 3 times more servings I just don't get the appeal- granted- I batch cook oatmeal for the week and just add milk to warm it up- but apparently upstream- you can cook it in the microwave itself.

But- Compared to purchasing a tiny serving of oats for almost 5 bucks at starbucks (seriously WTF 10$ for coffee and an oatmeal is utter horseshit)- instant is way better. LOL-
8 packs in a box for $1 at the 99 cent store.  They had a special over the holidays of "pumpkin spice".  It was pretty good.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
I didn't realize that eating oatmeal is a mustachian requirement. :(  I waste 20 cents on an egg for a veggie omelet every morning!

Do whatever works for you. I used to eat tons of oatmeal. BTW: I think the best oatmeal is Bob's Red Mill which you can get in 25lb sacks. Then I figured out that too many carbs make me mentally tired and weak. I guess when I was young my body could handle cheaper, lower quality food.

Now I do Bulletproof intermittent fasting (fasting about 16 hours / day) and make Bulletproof coffee every morning. It works out to about $3 / cup. But I am optimizing for mental performance but upping the beta hydroxybutyrate (ketones) in my blood for maximum cognitive performance. I am not optimizing for cost.
oatmeal alone doesn't fill me up.  I did learn, through trial and error, that while I feel good cutting carbs, I have a "brain fog" if I *don't* eat some sort of grain for breakfast - 1/2 bagel, piece of toast, oats.  I can skip it for lunch with no problems.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2016, 07:33:20 PM »
I've found my place!

I added a spoonful of peanut butter to the oatmeal (made with milk and brown sugar) this morning after reading this, and husband and I both agreed it was awesome and tasted like a liquefied peanut butter cookie. So thanks! :D

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »
I really like almond butter kind of plopped on top of my oatmeal.

Whiplash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2016, 07:10:46 AM »
I never could get my head around the instant stuff. I eat oatmeal pretty much every morning and whenever we're stateside my in-laws buy one of those big Quaker 'flavour variety' boxes. The level of sugar nearly kills me! Plus it's way too loo runny for my taste.

Here in Europe I usually go for the fibrous, rolled variety, bought dirt-cheap in 2kg bags. Personal favourite: crushed almonds, banana with a drizzle of honey on top. Lord almighty that stuff is good.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2016, 07:24:14 AM »
Overnight oats was my answer to instant oatmeal.  I would put equal parts old fashioned oats + liquid (usually almond milk) + 1-2T of dried fruit. Stick it in the fridge at night and grab and go in the morning.  You can make a weeks worth at one time and put them in individual containers.

When we had a newborn we were eating overnight oats almost every day for the first 4 weeks.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2016, 07:43:44 AM »

Thanks!
overnight oats, put oats, milk, peanut butter, flax seed, vanilla, whatever else you want into a container like a mason jar or something, let it sit over night and in the morning it's a delicious snack

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2016, 07:45:25 AM »
I usually just have instant oats with nutella, I buy instant oats in bulk from Winco and it says they are nutritionally equal to the other oats they sell.

hypocrispy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2016, 08:09:20 AM »
Overnight oats was my answer to instant oatmeal.  I would put equal parts old fashioned oats + liquid (usually almond milk) + 1-2T of dried fruit. Stick it in the fridge at night and grab and go in the morning.  You can make a weeks worth at one time and put them in individual containers.

When we had a newborn we were eating overnight oats almost every day for the first 4 weeks.

I'm stealing this idea!

Oatmeal is my very favorite breakfast. Nothing better than a bowl of steel cut in the morning with some honey, cinnamon, sliced almonds, and almond milk. And if I'm feeling particularly good, a little cacao powder and/or fresh fruit. I keep all the fixin's at work and just make a huge pot of oatmeal on the weekends to bring in and eat through the week.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »
I too eat oatmeal (the rolled ones) for breakfast with cinnamon and a dab of blackstrap molasses or banana usually.

Does anyone have a good source for buying oats aside from Costco and Aldi? My stash of Amish rolled oats ($0.59/lb) has finally run out, can't find these locally. Costco oats are quite pricey ($1.79/lb), Aldi is about $1/lb, Walmart is $0.94/lb.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2016, 02:14:06 PM »
I too eat oatmeal (the rolled ones) for breakfast with cinnamon and a dab of blackstrap molasses or banana usually.

Does anyone have a good source for buying oats aside from Costco and Aldi? My stash of Amish rolled oats ($0.59/lb) has finally run out, can't find these locally. Costco oats are quite pricey ($1.79/lb), Aldi is about $1/lb, Walmart is $0.94/lb.
Do you have a Winco nearby?

SeanMC

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2016, 03:31:51 PM »

I haven't bought recently, but you can find online for $1.25/lb or better, if you buy in bulk. For example nothing is on sale now but: http://food.honeyville.com/search?lbc=honeyville&method=and&p=Q&ts=custom&uid=820180557&w=oats

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2016, 05:49:53 PM »
Brackenjoy posted this recipe for two ingredient cookies (just bananas and quick oats) and I've been taking a couple to work for snacks every day since. I add cocoa and raisins to mine because the only thing better than healthy cookies is healthy chocolate cookies. They also freeze well.

http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice/

Thanks for posting that here! I made these today with walnuts, little bit of cinnamon and a little bit of semi-sweet chocolate chips, YUM!

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »
Only on the MMM forum could you find a 2-page post on oatmeal. This is excellent.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »
  Every morning my wife puts water in a small teflon coated frying pan and brings it to a boil.
Then she adds the oatmeal and cooks it until most of the water is gone but it is still moist, and maybe
a little crispy on the bottom. Then she lays  a couple pieces of fish on top and lets it warm.
The consistency is such that you can pick it up and eat it like a piece of bread or toast.
I cut it in half with the edge of a spatula so wecan share it.
  We live on the coast so always have some type of fried fish in the fridge. My favorite for the
oatmeal is curried Spanish Mackerel.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »
I keep a container of cinnamon, oats and milk at work. My work provides free apples.

I making oats with whole milk and then cut up an apple and add that plus cinnamon and some sugar to it. It's quick, delicious and cheap since I can get both apples and sugar for free at work. It's under $0.50 I get a serving of fruit and it is just under 500 calories. I can add a boiled egg for protein.

I can also vary it by adding a banana instead if I feel like it or adding some of my chocolate protein powder to make a chocolate version.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2016, 02:37:51 PM »

I haven't bought recently, but you can find online for $1.25/lb or better, if you buy in bulk. For example nothing is on sale now but: http://food.honeyville.com/search?lbc=honeyville&method=and&p=Q&ts=custom&uid=820180557&w=oats

Thanks for this and Winco tip! Unless it goes on sale, Walmart oats it will be.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »

Thanks!
overnight oats, put oats, milk, peanut butter, flax seed, vanilla, whatever else you want into a container like a mason jar or something, let it sit over night and in the morning it's a delicious snack

I make my meatloaf using oatmeal; my basic recipe is 1 lb ground turkey, 1 tube of sage sausage (ground breakfast sausage), a drained can of tomatos/mild chilies, 2 eggs, 2 cups oatmeal (more or less added depending on how it's squishing together), one medium onion (rough diced as we like chunks of onion), and I add spices like whole fennel seeds and parsley and thyme... squish all that together, throw in a pan and shape into a loaf, poke a few holes in with your finger, coat the top/sides with BBQ sauce and bake for 1 hour at 375˚f (might be more depending on your stove and the degree of doneness - my mom likes her meatloaf crusty so I bake it about 1.5 hours and start checking on it from there).

Good way to use oatmeal anyway in my house as it sneaks in even more oaty goodness in place of bland boring breadcrumbs.

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2016, 03:35:16 PM »
This is the best thread ever.  I've always just added raisins and cinnamon to my oatmeal, but today I followed some of the suggestions here and also added peanut butter, almonds, and coconut flakes.  It was amazing.  I'm going to have to try those cookies next.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2016, 06:17:36 PM »
 I've been known to use thick-cooked oatmeal as the binder for vegan "meat" patties (bean or TVP). Have to spice the heck out of it, of course.

Also, mix some rolled oats and some fruit into plain or vanilla yogurt. Yum.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »

I make my meatloaf using oatmeal; my basic recipe is 1 lb ground turkey, 1 tube of sage sausage (ground breakfast sausage), a drained can of tomatos/mild chilies, 2 eggs, 2 cups oatmeal (more or less added depending on how it's squishing together), one medium onion (rough diced as we like chunks of onion), and I add spices like whole fennel seeds and parsley and thyme... squish all that together, throw in a pan and shape into a loaf, poke a few holes in with your finger, coat the top/sides with BBQ sauce and bake for 1 hour at 375˚f (might be more depending on your stove and the degree of doneness - my mom likes her meatloaf crusty so I bake it about 1.5 hours and start checking on it from there).

Good way to use oatmeal anyway in my house as it sneaks in even more oaty goodness in place of bland boring breadcrumbs.

Excellent! One more thing to try thanks to this thread, and you of course. :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2016, 05:12:03 AM »
The meatloaf suggestion is a good one.  I've found that oats can be added to most meals that use ground meat to stretch the meat a bit further and add some healthy fiber.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2016, 06:11:18 AM »
My current favorite is peanut butter granola.

I sometimes cook granola with the boiling water pour over method. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of plain oats to granola, add hot water, let it rest, top with milk and enjoy.  It stays crunchy and chewy without turning to mush but is still hot for cold mornings.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2016, 07:44:53 AM »
I think you are ok. :)  When I was a working mom, I fed my toddler the instant packets (bought on sale, of course).  After I would dump the packet into a bowl and before adding the water, I removed about 90% of the sugar/flavor clumps.  So I think I was being about as frugal and health-conscious as I was able at the time.
What?!?!?  You paid for the convenience of 'instant' and then you un-instant'ed it!!

I read somewhere (some time ago) that you can get rolled oats REAL CHEAP by the pound at a feed store (for horses, I think).  Not sure if you'd have to sort thru them (but I sure would - at least the first cpl pounds).

FarmFund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2016, 06:51:26 PM »
To save money on oatmeal, I buy bags of unrolled oat groats direct from the mill and grind them into flakes myself. Its got lots of mustache benefits: I get a nice arm work out from hauling the 50lb bags of grains, I get a daily workout from grinding grains, so it's truly muscle over motor. I support local farmers and cut out the middle man by buying directly from the mill, and I end up paying a lower price for organic oats then I would pay for rolled conventional oats in the store.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2016, 07:13:37 PM »
Can I just say how much it delights me that the oatmeal thread has 98 comments?

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2016, 11:21:16 PM »
My current favourite is rolled oats from the grocery store with walnuts and maple syrup.