Author Topic: Oatmeal  (Read 39723 times)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Oatmeal
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:35:27 AM »
This morning in the elevator on the way to my office, there was a woman carrying some oatmeal she'd bought from the sandwich shop in the lobby. It was pretty fancy, with fresh fruit on top and whatnot, and costs something like $3.00. I mentioned to her that it looked good.

Then I went to my office and got myself a $0.10 packet of instant oatmeal, complete with dried fruit.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Oatmeal
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:36:24 AM »
:)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 07:43:25 AM »
Nice.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »
Always blew my mind, even before I ate oatmeal regularly. Now that I do, it is just bonkers. Oatmeal has to be one of the easiest things to make, yet peeps will still pay for "convenience".

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:10:17 AM »
The idea of paying that much for oatmeal hurts my feelings....

but instant oatmeal just makes me sad. LOL

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »
Why not both?

each morning I bring a lidded bowl that contains rolled oats and fresh or frozen fruit and ground flax. sometimes also a little bit of cream or sugar or nuts or whatever. then I add boiling water and cover it for a minute or two. voila! fancypants, incredibly healthy oatmeal with extra fibre. none of the instant packet garbage.

granted, it probably costs more than ten cents per serving, because of the fruit. possibly as much as fifty cents. totally worth it.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 09:16:50 AM »

Yeah, I know, but it takes less time for the oatmeal to microwave than for my coffee to brew. (The office has a fancy espresso-type machine that grinds and brews a serving at a time, and takes forever. I'm told the result is very good quality, though...) If it were any more effort, I wouldn't be likely to do it and would end up either skipping breakfast or succumbing to the temptation of a more expensive option (like a breakfast sandwich from the place in the lobby).

On top of that, it's also convenient because I can buy a month's worth at a time at the grocery I ride past on my way to work, and leave it in the office cabinet without worrying about fruit or milk going bad.

ryan.triguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 09:22:57 AM »
Snacky I'm with you been doing that or work for years.  Tastes better and soooo easy to do.  Plus you can change what you add everyday instead of just what they are selling.  I watch guys at work eat out everyday or couple times a week and makes me cringe so much money especially when compounded for year or career.  Plus brown bagging it so much healthier anyways

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 11:38:44 AM »

Yeah, I know, but it takes less time for the oatmeal to microwave than for my coffee to brew. [...] If it were any more effort, I wouldn't be likely to do it and would end up either skipping breakfast or succumbing to the temptation of a more expensive option (like a breakfast sandwich from the place in the lobby).

Old fashioned rolled oats take about 2 minutes in the microwave. Twice as much water as oats, nuke 1 minute, stir in whatever you want in it, nuke another minute, and done. Really the only reason for stopping in the middle is so they don't overflow the bowl so you could skip it if your bowl is big enough. You might need to let sit or stir in an ice cube if they're too hot (they usually are for me). They taste so much better than the mush created by instant -- I only know this after buying instant by mistake and trying it -- yuck.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
This morning in the elevator on the way to my office, there was a woman carrying some oatmeal she'd bought from the sandwich shop in the lobby. It was pretty fancy, with fresh fruit on top and whatnot, and costs something like $3.00. I mentioned to her that it looked good.

Then I went to my office and got myself a $0.10 packet of instant oatmeal, complete with dried fruit.

No need for all the waste entailed by a packet.  I haul in 5.5 lb bags to my office every month.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 12:10:50 PM »

Yeah, I know, but it takes less time for the oatmeal to microwave than for my coffee to brew. [...] If it were any more effort, I wouldn't be likely to do it and would end up either skipping breakfast or succumbing to the temptation of a more expensive option (like a breakfast sandwich from the place in the lobby).

Old fashioned rolled oats take about 2 minutes in the microwave. Twice as much water as oats, nuke 1 minute, stir in whatever you want in it, nuke another minute, and done. Really the only reason for stopping in the middle is so they don't overflow the bowl so you could skip it if your bowl is big enough. You might need to let sit or stir in an ice cube if they're too hot (they usually are for me). They taste so much better than the mush created by instant -- I only know this after buying instant by mistake and trying it -- yuck.

Just fyi, if you use a wide, flat bowl it doesn't boil over.
I use milk or almond milk instead of water to add nutrition, and usually frozen fruit or a banana. But I agree that rolled oats are immeasurably better than instant, and they really don't take that much longer to cook.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »
Yeah- I've found it costs what like 5 bucks for the 8-10 packs of instant oats? even in my pre-stash days I couldn't justify the cost difference considering a big container is the same with 3 times more servings I just don't get the appeal- granted- I batch cook oatmeal for the week and just add milk to warm it up- but apparently upstream- you can cook it in the microwave itself.

But- Compared to purchasing a tiny serving of oats for almost 5 bucks at starbucks (seriously WTF 10$ for coffee and an oatmeal is utter horseshit)- instant is way better. LOL-

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 12:26:01 PM »
I enjoy a mix of rolled and quick-cooking steel cut oats (from Bob's Red Mill) - the steel cut take about 5 minutes, but I still make them at work.

Mr.Tako

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mr. Tako Escapes
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
Oatmeal is awesome, and convenience is the root of all evil ;)

Combine the two and you get something in between!

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 01:21:09 PM »
people are willing to pay a ton for convenience. I buy the big tub of quaker original for a few bucks and eat it on the way to work every morning

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 01:29:40 PM »
I keep plain rolled oats, raisins and cinnamon in the cupboard at work, I've found that I don't even need sugar, just going medium-heavy on the cinnamon.

I can mix them up in a spare coffee cup and just use the hot water dispenser in the coffee pot and let it sit on my desk for a minute. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 01:41:43 PM »
people are willing to pay a ton for convenience. I buy the big tub of quaker original for a few bucks and eat it on the way to work every morning

A big tub of oatmeal every morning?  Who was president the last time you had to poop?  :D

And as an FYI, oatmeal is not "incredibly healthy" for everyone. 

markpst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »
I keep a big tub at work, along with raisins, cinnamon, and walnuts.

I like the idea of the individual packets, but I am not happy with the ingredients (or the cost). I don't want it "fortified" and I don't want any caramel coloring. I typically keep milk at work as well, and use that instead of water. I use the hot water tap in a pinch but prefer the taste with 1% milk.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »
Hmm... clearly, this thread should be moved to "antimustachian wall of shame and comedy" because instant oatmeal packets aren't badass enough!

I'll try to do better once I run out of the current supply.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 03:15:53 PM »
Hmm... clearly, this thread should be moved to "antimustachian wall of shame and comedy" because instant oatmeal packets aren't badass enough!

I think you can find recipes online for making your own instant oatmeal packets :-).

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »

And don't forget you glossed over the Lurking Danger of Oatmeal, too.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »
I didn't realize that eating oatmeal is a mustachian requirement. :(  I waste 20 cents on an egg for a veggie omelet every morning!

AdiposeFinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 05:32:42 PM »
I didn't realize that eating oatmeal is a mustachian requirement. :(  I waste 20 cents on an egg for a veggie omelet every morning!

Do whatever works for you. I used to eat tons of oatmeal. BTW: I think the best oatmeal is Bob's Red Mill which you can get in 25lb sacks. Then I figured out that too many carbs make me mentally tired and weak. I guess when I was young my body could handle cheaper, lower quality food.

Now I do Bulletproof intermittent fasting (fasting about 16 hours / day) and make Bulletproof coffee every morning. It works out to about $3 / cup. But I am optimizing for mental performance but upping the beta hydroxybutyrate (ketones) in my blood for maximum cognitive performance. I am not optimizing for cost.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
Aldi oatmeal! 

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »

Do whatever works for you.
I used to eat tons of oatmeal. BTW: I think the best oatmeal is Bob's Red Mill which you can get in 25lb sacks. Then I figured out that too many carbs make me mentally tired and weak. I guess when I was young my body could handle cheaper, lower quality food.

Now I do Bulletproof intermittent fasting (fasting about 16 hours / day) and make Bulletproof coffee every morning. It works out to about $3 / cup. But I am optimizing for mental performance but upping the beta hydroxybutyrate (ketones) in my blood for maximum cognitive performance. I am not optimizing for cost.

I do like oatmeal (esp. the texture of baked oatmeal, really kicks it up a notch).  But I'm starving after about an hour if I eat oatmeal for breakfast.  Fruit, veggies, & an egg really work for me.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 06:01:57 PM »

I think you are ok. :)  When I was a working mom, I fed my toddler the instant packets (bought on sale, of course).  After I would dump the packet into a bowl and before adding the water, I removed about 90% of the sugar/flavor clumps.  So I think I was being about as frugal and health-conscious as I was able at the time. 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 06:22:29 PM »
I've recently become addicted to overnight oats. Throw oatmeal, milk of your choice (I've been using almond), and whatever else you want to add (fruit, nuts, coconut, a gob of peanut butter) into a mason jar. Put in fridge overnight. In the morning, heat.

I've been making a week's worth at a time so I can just grab and go in the morning. It's a great way to use up all the fruit I canned last summer too...

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »
I can't handle oatmeal; ate too much growing up.  I do grits with butter.  Stir in a raw egg and it will cook in the grits.  I might have to start adding some of the oils from the Bulletproof diet to the grits, just for fun.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 07:23:53 AM »

I think you are ok. :)  When I was a working mom, I fed my toddler the instant packets (bought on sale, of course).  After I would dump the packet into a bowl and before adding the water, I removed about 90% of the sugar/flavor clumps.  So I think I was being about as frugal and health-conscious as I was able at the time.

I've added a packet of instant oatmeal to a bowl of regular oats for flavor. basically how you add the flavor packet to the ramen. it's not healthy, but if you have the packets around, why not?

given my username you guys need to understand that I am very into this thread.

SeanMC

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 08:27:26 AM »
Oatmeal and Oat lovers - Can anyone suggest recipes (other than "bowl of oatmeal") they like to help me use up thick cut rolled oats?

I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast. To save money, I buy thick cut rolled oats in bulk. However, I will be relocating in 2 months and have...many many lbs remaining from what was once a 50 lb bag of oats. I would like to use up as much as possible without needing to buy a lot of new/unusual ingredients (I have basic pantry staples) or eating super unhealthy (so, no, oatmeal cookies every day is not a good plan).

If it wasn't likely to make a mess, I am at the point where I will be packing fragile items in oats...

Thanks!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 08:38:22 AM »
Oatmeal and Oat lovers - Can anyone suggest recipes (other than "bowl of oatmeal") they like to help me use up thick cut rolled oats?

I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast. To save money, I buy thick cut rolled oats in bulk. However, I will be relocating in 2 months and have...many many lbs remaining from what was once a 50 lb bag of oats. I would like to use up as much as possible without needing to buy a lot of new/unusual ingredients (I have basic pantry staples) or eating super unhealthy (so, no, oatmeal cookies every day is not a good plan).

If it wasn't likely to make a mess, I am at the point where I will be packing fragile items in oats...

Thanks!

Make large batches of oatmeal cookies for your coworkers! Granola bars.  Oatmeal bread. Gluten-free peanut butter cookies (these use just oats and oats that have been ground up in your Cuisinart). Good luck.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2016, 08:41:38 AM »

Thanks!

- Peach/Apple/Berry crisp (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231532/moms-peach-crisp/)
- Home made energy bars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJEIiWV3VQ)
- Baked oatmeal (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/51013/baked-oatmeal-ii/?internalSource=staff%20pick&referringId=1315&referringContentType=recipe%20hub)
- Oatmeal bread (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/honey-oat-bread-105775)
- Monster cookies (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/monster-cookies-recipe.html)

^ GuitarStv endorses all of these recipes

Also, the next time you're making hamburgers throw in a few handfuls of oats and some splashes of Worcestershire sauce for some extra oaty goodness.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2016, 10:04:56 AM »
I just mix it up with milk, no cooking required. Have done since I was a kid, almost every day for breakfast. Occasionally use coconut milk, or add raisins or something, but mostly it's just oats and milk. I do use the microwave to make an egg to go with it, though.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »
Instant oatmeal is DISGUSTING. It is the fast food of the oatmeal world, highly processed and much less nutrition.

For breakfast I had some old fashioned oatmeal from cost. 8 cents per serving. Added a little cinnamon and raisins. Delicious.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »
I keep plain rolled oats, raisins and cinnamon in the cupboard at work, I've found that I don't even need sugar, just going medium-heavy on the cinnamon.

Same here, been doing this for years. Also keep some yogurt or milk in the fridge to add.

Cinnamon is a great sweetener, but take care with it. There's a lot of a chemical, coumarin, in Cassia cinnamon (the cheaper kind) that can cause liver damage in some people:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/260430.php

Coumarin In Cinnamon Causes Liver Damage In Some People

Written by Christian Nordqvist
Published: Monday 13 May 2013

"Sensitive people who consume cinnamon-flavored foods, drinks and food supplements may have a higher risk of liver damage, researchers from the University of Mississippi, USA, and King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, report in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry.

Cinnamon comes from the bark of trees and is sold as sticks or powder in the country of origin. Ceylon cinnamon grows in Sri Lanka, Madagascar and the Seychelles, while Cassia cinnamon comes from Indonesia and China. Previous studies have linked coumarin intake to liver damage in a small number of sensitive individuals.

True cinnamon has very little coumarin, unlike Cassia cinnamon. A 2010 German study found that on average, Cassia cinnamon powder had up to 63 times more coumarin compared to Ceylon cinnamon powder, while Cassia cinnamon sticks contained 18 times more than Ceylon cinnamon sticks."

I used to get cinnamon at Costco, but they sell the cheaper Cassia cinnamon, labeled as "Saigon Cinnamon". Now I make sure to get the true cinnamon.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »

Thanks!

A friend of mine has been eating savory oatmeal. Kind of weird, but oddly intriguing at the same time.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes

beardsly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »
I get the big tubs of steel cut oatmeal from Costco, I have not calculated the per serving but it's probably $0.12 - $0.15.  Takes about 7 minutes to cook in pot on the stove.  I've also buy a 4 pound bag of frozen blueberrys (when not in season) and toss them on top, the bag usually last close to 3 months.  I use to eat the rolled oats but now prefer the steel cut.  For those eating the "instant"packets take a look at the ingredients....I'll leave it at that.

AdiposeFinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »

I used to eat tons of oatmeal. BTW: I think the best oatmeal is Bob's Red Mill which you can get in 25lb sacks. Then I figured out that too many carbs make me mentally tired and weak. I guess when I was young my body could handle cheaper, lower quality food.

I do like oatmeal (esp. the texture of baked oatmeal, really kicks it up a notch).  But I'm starving after about an hour if I eat oatmeal for breakfast.  Fruit, veggies, & an egg really work for me.

It isn't really a surprise that you are starving after eating oatmeal. It is a very high carb meal which will spike your blood sugar which will spike your insulin level. After that you will a minor blood sugar crash and you will feel hungry. And don't forget the milk which has lactose, another form of sugar.

Oatmeal is great because it is cheap but it can have negative side-effects.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »
The crash from oatmeal can be minimized/avoided if you do what I do - mix in 2 TBS of butter, a cup of pecans or walnuts, and slice half an avocado on top.  Tastes great and all that healthy fat keeps your blood sugar from spiking like plain oatmeal would.  Keeps me feeling nice and full for hours.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:13:58 PM by tyort1 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »

It isn't really a surprise that you are starving after eating oatmeal. It is a very high carb meal which will spike your blood sugar which will spike your insulin level. After that you will a minor blood sugar crash and you will feel hungry. And don't forget the milk which has lactose, another form of sugar.

Oatmeal is great because it is cheap but it can have negative side-effects.

Oatmeal has a low glycemic index . . . that means that it does not spike your blood sugar.  It's often recommended for people with diabetes because it's a slow release carbohydrate and does not cause an insulin spike.  It's high in fiber, which helps most people feel full for longer.  If you're super concerned about glycemic index of oatmeal, eat it without milk and without added sugar.

Stick to whatever fad diet tickles your fancy, but let's not just make stuff after the fact to try and support our choices.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2016, 07:49:41 PM »

Thanks!

A friend of mine has been eating savory oatmeal. Kind of weird, but oddly intriguing at the same time.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes
I eat savory oatmeal as much as sweet. Just another type of grain bowl. Bacon/ham, cheddar, and a fried egg is my favorite right now. Furikake (rice seasoning) and smoked salmon is another favorite.

I make a big pot of steel cut oats in the Instant Pot each week and it becomes breakfast and snacks. I can get a bowl of oatmeal at work for 96 cents, but steel cut works out to like 8 cents per serving via the Whole Foods bulk bins. Haven't been able to find it cheaper.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 08:22:13 PM »
I have made steel cut oats in the Instant Pot every morning since I got it. Since it's programmable, I set it up the night before and breakfast is ready when I wake up.

Fill the pot with two cups of water. Put the rack in with the handles up. In a small dish, add a third of a cup of oats and 5/6 of a cup of water. Cook at high pressure for ten minutes and then do a natural release. I eat mine with a tablespoon of cream and a little sugar. Very nice.

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 09:05:52 PM »
I don't have much to add here...I'm just damn impressed that the topic of oatmeal has garnered 41 replies in a little over 24 hours!!  We truly are a different breed.  For the record I like oatmeal but found I started getting sick of it if I ate it everyday so have scaled back.  Also I agree it doesn't keep you full quite as much as eggs.   Still a great choice though.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 09:14:46 PM »
We are definitely an oatmeal family and my favorite recipe is: quick oats, a dash of cinnamon, a huge glob of peanut butter, and a very healthy serving of Trader Joe's frozen Very Cherry frozen berry mix. Delish! All the fat and protein from the peanut butter means it lasts for a lot longer and the the berries turn my oatmeal purple. What's not to like? :)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 09:34:16 PM »
+1 for the savory oatmeal. I get sick of oatmeal after a day or two if I make it sweet, but savory steel-cut oats I could eat all week (although I don't because I'm cutting back on carbs due to medically stuff). Think of it like grits or polenta, but with a better nutrition profile.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
serpentstooth,
Thanks for the pressure cooker oat  recipe, do you actually put a dish in the instapot? I was wondering what  that little rack was for, do you use a glass dish like a pyrex?

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 03:50:02 PM »
serpentstooth,
Thanks for the pressure cooker oat  recipe, do you actually put a dish in the instapot? I was wondering what  that little rack was for, do you use a glass dish like a pyrex?

I use a 2 cup Pyrex container. It's great, since it protects the bottom of the dish from scorching. The dishes seem to hold up just fine, and I usually eat the oatmeal directly from them and then put them straight into the dishwasher.

Tawcan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tawcan
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 03:56:51 PM »
That's crazy paying that much for oatmeal. We get a 20kg bag of organic oats for $40. Measure desired amount of oats the night before so they can soak in water overnight, and cook them in the morning. Add whatever you want, we typically add frozen fruits, cinnamon, honey, nuts, and seeds. Cheap and healthy. :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 05:53:24 PM »
I keep a pound of rolled oats in my desk drawer. Usually I eat it with peanut butter and some raisins, also from the drawer. Heat water, pour over, let sit a minute, stir in the peanut butter, eat. It's best with crunchy PB.

meyling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2016, 09:22:59 PM »
My workplace has free oatmeal, cereal, and eggs. (: I eat the eggs though. Never been a fan of oatmeal or cereal.