Author Topic: No diet coke for two weeks  (Read 7707 times)

hb187

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No diet coke for two weeks
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »
This is such a baby goal, but it's something I've been a baby about for a long time.

I live overseas, and diet coke is more expensive here. It's about $1.50 for a 20 oz bottle, which isn't too far off from US prices, but there's no discount for generics or buying in bulk. In the states I would buy Walmart brand diet cola 2 liter bottles for .89 cents. I never changed my consumption habits when I moved, even though the prices went up. I was having about six twenty ounce bottles a day, and I've been here for three years. So, I spent almost ten thousand dollars on diet coke. Considering I have a $5k credit card debt, I realized this was completely unacceptable. If I had just not had those diet cokes but made no other changes, 5k in debt would be 5k in savings. Actually, probably a bit more because I'm paying $75/month to carry this stupid debt. Who knows what I'd get per month in dividends if that 5k were instead in an investment account. More than zero.  If it's $25, then I've spent $100 dollars per month extra on diet coke, because of how it messed up my finances. So, $3600 give or take.

I've switched to crystal light. At .30 per liter, it's a much better deal and hits exactly what I felt I needed with the diet coke. True badassity would be water, but this is still a big deal for now.

Also, I haven't had restaurant food in over a month. That's comparatively a lot easier for me than the diet coke thing, but will be another big money saver.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Re: No diet coke for two weeks
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »
Well done! The savings do add up.

I'm a former (diet) Coke fiend. I drank two or three per day at work, and one or two caffeine free when I got home. Even more on Summer days when I was off work and outdoors.

I quit cold turkey about eight months ago.

Like you, I was concerned about the cost. I also was concerned about the health angle, apparently even though it is sugar free, the acidity of Diet Coke is bad for your teeth. And some say the false sweetness of diet drinks “primes the pump” for sweet cravings since the calorie free product tastes sweet but cannot produce any feeling of being sated.

I have replaced the lost caffeine with generic 200mg caffeine tabs that I cut 4 ways in a pill splitter.

I replaced the Coke with tap water. Choosing tap water was easy for me because it is essentially free (I have to pay the water bill whether I drink any or not) and where I live happens to have great tap water.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »
I used to drink diet pepsi in those quantities. I gave it up 10 years ago. After being aspartame-free for about 2-3 weeks, I stopped getting frequent headaches, and my appetite completely disappeared. Now I can go the entire day and eat just once at night if I want to, or fast completely. Before, it was impossible to go four hours without something to eat.

Now I can enjoy one or two drinks a week, but any more often than that gives me headaches and screws with my appetite.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:16:30 PM »
Great job!

I no longer pay for soda. I drink it if it is free, but otherwise- it's way too expensive for me. Not worth it.

TMBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
You're lucky guys - you actually had to pay for coke.
I love junk food, but I didn't have softdrink problem when I had to pay for it myself (well, I bought once ~30 gallons of pepsi when I was young and it went on a big sale, but it's a one-off event), but now I have them free in my office and my frugal muscle doesn't work anymore. I call it cocaholism.  (Doctor, please give me pills to fight greediness, as many as possible and a bit more!)
I dread the day when they decide to introduce free food...

simpleFIblog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Financial Independence Simplified
    • Simplified Finance
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 02:45:16 PM »
Well done OP! Even accomplishing baby goals are worth celebrating. Any step in the right direction is a good thing.

Great job!

I no longer pay for soda. I drink it if it is free, but otherwise- it's way too expensive for me. Not worth it.

Pretty much the same for me. There was a time when I'd "treat myself" to a Coke Zero when I felt I deserved it (or just when I was at a place that sold one). The 3-4 sodas a week do start to add up. I still enjoy a Coke Zero from time to time, but rarely do I pay for it, which sort of forces moderation.

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
I don't think it is a "baby goal" at all....

I drank DC thinking it would help with weight...but the more I learned about the harm chemicals do to our bodies, I began a quest to eliminate all that I can from my diet and environment.

Some things were merely swapping one like item for another--like buying organic veggies for non-organic, or grass fed beef for the hormone filled, unnaturally fed commercial beef.   But giving up DC was surprisingly difficult....

It took a lot more "effort" than I thought it would.  It had surprisingly become a big part of my daily routine and habit.  But I'm DC free now...It was the last "food" item to fix.  Now, I'm on a kick to eliminate as much plastic as possible in my life...When you stop and look around you, it is everywhere....Not going to be able to eliminate all of it, but, perhaps, I can reduce the amount I'm exposed to....

Congrats--the world is better with one less DC drinker!

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 05:04:29 PM »
I kicked a many decade Coca-Cola habit.  Started drinking Iced Tea.  Then went to unsweetened Iced Tea and I add a little sugar. 
My blood pressure is now under control and I lost 18 lbs since FIREing.

This Wife's Life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • This Wife's Life
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 07:44:25 AM »
Like others on this thread I drank 4-5 diet cokes a day. I would scrounge for change if I needed one. I quit cold turkey about five years ago. My decision to quit was more of a health reason than money (although the savings has been nice). I would wake up with my limbs (fingers, arms, feet and legs) being numb...sometimes even the base of my head being numb. Parts of my body were also stiff at other times. I felt like maybe it was the aspartame in the Diet Cokes. I stopped drinking them (or anything diet or with sugar) and I've never had a problem since. Because I couldn't handle the lack of caffeine, I drink coffee (Folgers from the coffee maker, never Starbucks) and tea...and it's so relatively inexpensive. Best of luck!!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
Add me to rest of the people on this thread, but I drank about a litre of diet Pepsi per day for a good part of my twenties.  That stuff is really bad for you with all the chemicals in it.  IIRC, one of the chemicals leaches calcium from your bones.  This is especially bad for women because we have a higher risk of osteoporosis to begin with. 

I remember switching from diet Pepsi to club soda to Perrier water to get off of it.  Now I just drink tap water and split the odd can of pop with my husband. 

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 11:11:01 PM »
Huge congratulations!  Foregoing 3.6 litres of Diet Coke a day is a huge achievement.  I get a ridiculous amount of pleasure from drinking a Diet Coke.  I try to have no more than one soda a week (I was off it completely for years, but damn, they're so enjoyable.)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »
Congratulations, I am a week and a half into no coke. A few years ago I was drinking almost 6L a day, it had been cut down to a can every second day and now no coke. I am trying to do this for at least 3 months before I go back to letting myself have the occasional one.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 11:22:56 PM »
The diet coke part is easy. But what do you put your alcohol in?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 12:17:10 AM »
The diet coke part is easy. But what do you put your alcohol in?

Your mouth.  Or, first, a glass, if you're fancy like that.  ;)

hb187

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

green daisy

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 02:09:25 PM »
Congratulations from a fellow Diet Coke addict!  I used to drink 2-3 cans a day.  I (mostly) quit a few months ago.  I've had 1-2 a week since then.  I miss it! 

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 04:00:19 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

You go bro! Your lunch budget (you know, for those rare times you eat out because coworkers are enticing you) will increase.

Mr.Tako

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mr. Tako Escapes
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 01:40:31 AM »
Good job!  Like any demon of addiction, it may haunt you for some time.  I also found it really hard to give up.  I still crave a nice cold coke from time to time.

By comparison, it was easier for me to give up alcohol.  Although I didn't drink it as frequently as coke, it is often considered to be more addictive.  There's support groups and everything!

Now, after FIRE, I drink water, tea, and milk.  The money savings alone is pretty huge!

daschtick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 06:12:56 PM »
My weakness is Mountain Dew - Full power.  None of that diet stuff for me! I have not had it in my house for about a month now, and I will admit that I miss it.  For me, it as not so much a money thing, as it was a health thing.  Besides that amount of sugar being completely bad for me, it often would irritate my guts, and I really didn't need the extra calories.  I now drink mostly water, with an occasional bottle of Propel for when I need to drink something with some flavor.  I will say that I feel much better these days.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 07:52:04 AM »
Good decision.
Family members have damaged their health with Coke addiction. So sad.
By ending it you increase your quality, and quantity, of life.
And you save a few dollars and a lot of packaging waste.

ptgearguy

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »
I used to be a big diet coke fan (well pepsi max and more recently coke zero) and used to drink 1-4 cans daily. I would often have a couple of the 600 ml bottles as well when I went out for the day on weekends. I got into it for helping me with weight loss in my early twenties. I have actually cut it out completely in the last 6 months or so and was probably drinking 4-6 cans a week or so before that (I had cut back over the years). I had finally had enough and decided I wanted to be healthier. I actually eat very healthy but kept justifying the pop in my diet.

I still drink quite a bit of coffee but stick to the coffee maker. I really enjoy my coffee and would really miss it as I often enjoy it socially with family and friends. I do not drink any alcohol so it is my social drink :)

Good luck, I hope you are able to remove it from your life.

hb187

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 03:36:02 PM »
I've also almost completely quit caffeine, which has had a tremendously positive effect on my sleep. I have one black tea at 5, and a green tea at 9. Before I was on at least four full cups of coffee per day, plus the 5-6 diet cokes. And I was wondering why I couldn't sleep!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 04:10:44 PM »
I've also almost completely quit caffeine, which has had a tremendously positive effect on my sleep. I have one black tea at 5, and a green tea at 9. Before I was on at least four full cups of coffee per day, plus the 5-6 diet cokes. And I was wondering why I couldn't sleep!

+1 tea is very good for you too! 

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 04:59:02 AM »
I managed to cut off my Diet Coke addiction when I was given a sodastream machine for Christmas. I go through 3L (90oz) of plain soda water a day. While it isn't hugely cheaper (costs me $1/day for the co2 refills), it is much much healthier, better for my teeth, my body and my sleep.

RurallyFrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 05:35:25 AM »
I quit Diet Pepsi about four years ago. Like, a gallon a day, cold turkey. Had the shakes for three weeks. Monster headaches. It was easier to quit tobacco than aspartame. Now it's black coffee (anybody else get strange looks at coffee houses when asking for a plain black house blend?), unsweetened tea, and water. Lots of water. And I've lost fifty pounds since. Congrats on your new healthier life!

Chavak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 06:31:04 PM »

I live overseas, and diet coke is more expensive here. It's about $1.50 for a 20 oz bottle, which isn't too far off from US prices, but there's no discount for generics or buying in bulk. In the states I would buy Walmart brand diet cola 2 liter bottles for .89 cents.

I've switched to crystal light. At .30 per liter, it's a much better deal and hits exactly what I felt I needed with the diet coke. True badassity would be water, but this is still a big deal for now.

I recently gave up Diet Rite. I would drink one of the big 2 liter bottles every day. On sale I could find them for $1.00, but $1.50 was more common. I also got tired of having to deal with recycling the bottles. I switched to the WalMart version of Crystal Light. I think it's the same stuff under their private label because the container is exactly the same. For $1.98 I get an equivalent of 6 of the 2 liter Diet Right bottles.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!