Author Topic: New Year and a New Job!!!  (Read 1810 times)

intellectsucks

• Bristles
New Year and a New Job!!!
« on: January 16, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
First the awesome news: Just got a new job that is a step up in my career, pays $7000 more per year and is closer to home so now I'll be able to bike to work!!  The job is also with a competitor from my old employer so when I put in my two weeks notice, they sent me home to wait it out WITH PAY!!! (It's financial sales, they don't want me taking customer info or lead lists)  SOOOOO PSYCHED!!!

Some lessons I learned during this process that may help other job seekers:
1. The perfect position may not be available right away.  I've wanted to get into this position for a LOOOOOOOONG time.  This was my ninth or tenth interview over the course of about four or five years.  During that time I got three or four offers to move laterally for a smaller pay bump.  I wasn't willing to do this since I was employed and reasonably happy, but if I was out of work I definitely would have bit the bullet and taken it, then used that step to try and get into the position I REALLY wanted.
2. There is more than just ONE perfect position.  You just have to look for it.
3. Failures are not the end, they are one lesson in one course in your life long education.  USE THEM FULLY! Whether they spur you to develop new skills, encourage you to seek new outlets, learn new techniques for your existing skills or just to interact better with people, use those failures as the important learning tools they are!
4. Failure is not permanent, NO MATTER WHAT.  One of the hiring managers who interviewed me this time around had actually rejected me for the same position at a different location about four years ago.  I believe that one of the reasons I didn't get it last time was because I was his last interview for the day and he was clearly worn out.  This time the interview as scheduled just after lunch time (probably the best time to schedule an interview) and he was clearly more energetic.  Your previous failure could have been for a reason completely outside of your control.
5. Use as many different methods for getting a job as possible.  To get those interviews I directly applied at various companies, used connections at my own company, contacted friends and former colleagues at other companies (you do keep in touch with your former colleagues who have moved on right?), used lots of different job search sites, and used local networking events. 

CATman

• Stubble
Re: New Year and a New Job!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:32:29 PM »
Congrats on the new job! New opportunities are always exciting.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »
Very good philosophy.

NewJourney

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »
Great work! Thank you for sharing! So happy for you :-)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »
Congrats :)

I also am starting a new job. Not quite as awesome as what you are saying but it sure seems like a dream job to me!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 11:05:22 PM »
Congratulations! Your hard work and positive attitude paid off.