Author Topic: Net Worth Jump finishing up my 20s  (Read 4452 times)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Net Worth Jump finishing up my 20s
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:23:59 PM »
Because I feel like an a**hole saying this to my 29 year old friends, I'll say it here.

This year I managed to grow my net worth from 198K to approximately 325K (depending on the market the next week and a half).  If I can do that for two more years, I'm safe enough, right?  Unfortunately a lot of it (70K) is equity in my illiquid ~610K condo, but that balance should shift towards about 50/50 in the next two years, and my savings rate should pick up now that I've had and paid for my wedding (hopefully a one-time 2015 expense).

I'm pretty excited that I paid for my own degrees (private BA, public MA and JD) and own my house by the end of my 20s, having not come from money or parental support.  I suspect part of the stress in the next few years will be accepting a less stressful path forward, figuring out children, and starting to reimagine a life where I'm not working 80 hours a week.   Not a bad problem to have, but one I don't have much experience with.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
Re: Net Worth Jump finishing up my 20s
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 04:13:36 PM »
Very nice :)

Love reading these posts.

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 07:49:25 AM »
I would say you are definitely on the path to success!  Congrats on making great choices sooner than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Tako

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mr. Tako Escapes
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:33:22 PM »
Congrats!  I think we were in a similar position at your age.  Today, roughly 9 years later, we're over two million.  If you keep going the way you've been going, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 01:07:17 PM »
Giving up your 20's and 30's a bit is really worth it to enjoy 40's, 50's , 60's and beyond! well done!

Liggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 03:22:51 AM »
my savings rate should pick up now that I've had and paid for my wedding (hopefully a one-time 2015 expense).

I'm currently saving for my hopefully one-time 2016 expense of a Wedding! Can't wait for the target to be met and I can really put in some work to increase net worth

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 07:40:39 AM »
my savings rate should pick up now that I've had and paid for my wedding (hopefully a one-time 2015 expense).

I'm currently saving for my hopefully one-time 2016 expense of a Wedding! Can't wait for the target to be met and I can really put in some work to increase net worth

I used my HELOC to pay for most of it.  I paid it off in a few months, but still.  dumb.   So you're way ahead of my curve, at least!    Congrats.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
AWESOME!

I was a tiny bit jealous until you mentioned your 80-hour weeks. Oof.

Haha, yeah, I'm not sure I'd do it this way if I had it to do over.  My goal now is to move these towards at least 70 hour weeks through increased efficiency. Like maybe I should spend less time on forums at work. Perhaps.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »
AWESOME!

Haha, yeah, I'm not sure I'd do it this way if I had it to do over.  My goal now is to move these towards at least 70 hour weeks through increased efficiency. Like maybe I should spend less time on forums at work. Perhaps.

Sounds like quitter talk.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »
AWESOME!

Sounds like quitter talk.

Haha +1 it is now your duty to keep us updated for motivational purposes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!