Author Topic: Net worth increase 2022 (i.e. the 'present' you give yourself)  (Read 395368 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Net worth increase 2014 (i.e. the 'present' you give yourself)
« Reply #500 on: December 18, 2016, 05:59:52 PM »
JAN 2014 - $364k (owned a truck, a garage full of "stuff," investments were fairly conservative and spread across 30 high fee funds. And half that $364k was cash!
DEC 2014 - $458k (sold truck, sold stuff, started Roth IRA for DW, got into Vanguard with a much more aggressive AA, deployed and came close to maxing the extended TSP limit)

DEC 2015 - $525k give or take what happens next week.  This year was fairly straightforward as far as AA and contributions go so my NW increase was pretty much what I put in to it since I had zero growth.

DEC 2016 - $650k. So around a $125k increase, and $72k of that is contributions.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:40:00 PM by Travis »

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
Re: Net worth increase 2016 (i.e. the 'present' you give yourself)
« Reply #501 on: December 18, 2016, 09:31:15 PM »
Haven't gotten the end of year dividends from Vanguard and can't see the earnings info on our 401ks at the moment, so this is just an approximation..

As of today, at least $100,000.   That assumes a flat market.

I'm going to move stuff from all our old 401ks into Vanguard at the start of the year so I can get better visibility, streamline things, and get better returns.  Don't want to take a chance on losing out on the end of year dividends from the old accounts

Mutual fund distributions will generally reduce the net asset value of the fund, so it generally will be a wash. You won't lose out by moving stuff now.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: December 18, 2016, 10:30:48 PM »
It's January 1 so I did the calculations today of course. There are still some estimates since not everything is easily available electronically so I have to wait for some paper statements (fixing this is a goal for 2015).

Net worth increased about $151K, a mind-blowing number to me. This includes home equity which is a bit less than half of our total NW.

Another goal for 2015 is to do a better job of tracking how much gain or loss is due to the markets and how much is due to contributions. Right now I estimate that the $151K increase is about $101K contributions and $50K market related.

Fun to see that I had posted in this thread almost two years ago.  I reported that in 2014 our NW had gone up $151K ($CAD, but still nice). I revised 2014 due to a better real estate valuation, so it looks like this:
2014: $174K increase in NW
2015: $213K increase
2016: estimating a $239K increase

I apologize for linking to this again, but it seems relevant for this thread. I had posted back in 2014 that I wanted to better understand where our changes in NW had actually come from, so I finally worked it out:

Not expecting those real estate gains to continue...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #503 on: December 18, 2016, 11:40:21 PM »

I said this a year ago. It did :D

Dare I say it again this year?

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #504 on: December 19, 2016, 11:23:18 AM »
Wow, if your investment account is increasing by 3x gross earnings I would presume your days earning "gross earnings" are very limited in number.

Even if you were spending 100% of current gross earnings you would have accumulated a further 2 years of spending in a year of being FIRED. That's a lot of growth.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #505 on: December 19, 2016, 12:17:32 PM »
Not including any real property (house / car / misc.):  I started the year at $540k in investments (not including savings).  As of this week, I am around $670k in investments.  My savings total hasn't really moved.  So a $130k investment increase on a $90k salary (and $20k yearly expenses).  I could get used to this.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #506 on: December 20, 2016, 08:04:16 PM »
It was 2015 when I started to really get my fiscal house in order, so my numbers are nowhere near as impressive as those before me, but....

Started the year with a negative net worth of roughly $3700.
Ended the year with a positive net worth of roughly $35,000.
Net gain of about $38,700.

Heading in the right direction!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #507 on: December 20, 2016, 09:50:47 PM »
It was 2015 when I started to really get my fiscal house in order, so my numbers are nowhere near as impressive as those before me, but....

Started the year with a negative net worth of roughly $3700.
Ended the year with a positive net worth of roughly $35,000.
Net gain of about $38,700.

Heading in the right direction!

Awesome!    Keep that up and you'll be in great financial shape really fast.  And the rate of accumulation accelerates as time goes by, especially as you're now in positive net worth land!

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #508 on: December 21, 2016, 09:55:07 AM »
Dec 2015: $65,356
Dec 2016: $106,701

+ $41,345

My (ambitious) goal for 2017 is to hit $150k.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #509 on: December 21, 2016, 11:45:51 PM »
This %FI idea is fantastic. I didn't post raw numbers before because it would seem like bragging.

Start: 69%FI
Finish: 84%FI (+15%)

!! This is a rough estimate because I deleted my Mint this year in a random panic and only started back on tracking midway through the year. I don't have exact numbers on what my networth was at the start of the year, so I'm just working backwards from my income less expenses, and the one-year view of Personal Capital's YouIndex.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:47:41 PM by obstinate »

mousebandit

• Bristles
« Reply #510 on: December 22, 2016, 04:40:01 AM »
Aug 2015 discovered MMM
Dec 2015. NW $96,470
Dec 2016. NW $269,100

Increase: 172,630

The vast majority of this is from selling our old homestead and buying a new one, but it feels good, liquid or not. 

Not sure yet for 2017 goal, but it will include $37,500 in liability reduction, and maybe another $25,000 in savings.  Shooting for a 50% or better 2017 SR.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #511 on: December 22, 2016, 04:43:01 AM »
My net worth increased by a tidy sum, mainly due to increase in  the value of my PPOR.
In terms of liquid stash, I went from 71%  of RE target to 80% of RE target.

hikeandbike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #512 on: December 22, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
2015 - $421,845 (all investments, no house - I'm a renter)
2016 - $500,240 as of today I hit that magic number!!

Net increase - $78,395
max'd 401K, added about $15K to my taxable accounts through business, rest is investment returns on my index fund/bond mix at Vanguard.

Good year...time to go hike in the woods for awhile.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:13:43 AM by hikeandbike »

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: December 22, 2016, 11:41:03 AM »
My first time joining in here:
2015: NW $954k total, NW not including home equity $513k
2016: NW $1.151M total, NW not including home equity $619k

There is still a TON of fat to trim in our spending, but we've increased our NW $106k this year not including our home equity. Some cash savings/bigger contributions to 401K accounts, a lot is market gains. Oh, I didn't include the HSA in those numbers, but it's only about $5k. Since we will sell and move to a lower COL location in retirement we will use our home equity to buy something outright and probably to pay for the younger two kids' college expenses. We want to travel extensively in retirement, and my husband is not as willing to live as frugally as I am, so our target NW for retirement is probably higher than the average here. We haven't settled on the "magic" retirement number yet because we're still in discussion on it. He wants $2.5M plus owning a home outright. I think that's overkill and think half that is adequate for a comfortable retirement.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #514 on: December 22, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »
My first time joining in here:
2015: NW $954k total, NW not including home equity $513k
2016: NW $1.151M total, NW not including home equity $619k

There is still a TON of fat to trim in our spending, but we've increased our NW $106k this year not including our home equity. Some cash savings/bigger contributions to 401K accounts, a lot is market gains. Oh, I didn't include the HSA in those numbers, but it's only about $5k. Since we will sell and move to a lower COL location in retirement we will use our home equity to buy something outright and probably to pay for the younger two kids' college expenses. We want to travel extensively in retirement, and my husband is not as willing to live as frugally as I am, so our target NW for retirement is probably higher than the average here. We haven't settled on the "magic" retirement number yet because we're still in discussion on it. He wants $2.5M plus owning a home outright. I think that's overkill and think half that is adequate for a comfortable retirement.

You know the really cool thing about these posts is that folks are measuring their financial growth and seeing progress.. Even if we get negative returns in some years we can over time see a steady march upwards in our financial wellbeing.

So many families just exist.. they either stay where they are or dig themselves a deeper financial hole, mainly because they never measure their NW or do anything to positively influence it.

We have about what your DH wants and our basic expenses are about $30k per year... Do you know what your annual living expenses are out of interest?

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: December 22, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
Exflyboy, do you mean our current annual expenses or projected for retirement? Our current annual expenses are obscene and nothing like what retirement will be. I have tracked every penny in and out since mid 2014, before finding MMM, so I know what we spend now, and I'm using it to scale down to what I think retirement will look like once kids are launched and we downsize our home. Once we use our home equity to buy a (much smaller, much cheaper) home outright, I estimate our annual expenses without travel to be around the $25k mark. If we add an outrageous travel/recreation/fun budget of $2k per month, that still only ends up being about $50k a year, which is how I determined the $1.25M being adequate. I assume we will settle somewhere around the $2M mark in the end so that we have a bigger buffer for his comfort level.

And I agree with you about how great it is to see everyone here measuring their progress over the year and being aware of their financial picture. I know far too many people IRL who wouldn't even know what net worth is, or think they could do anything differently. I'm really thankful for the community here.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: December 22, 2016, 02:10:12 PM »
Invested b/c thats really what matters:

2015: 250k
2016: 450k

Home equity:
2015: 70k
2016: 150k
Moved to a bigger home bought below market value.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #517 on: December 23, 2016, 02:57:47 PM »
My turn:

2012 - $295k
2013 - $419k
2014 - $534k

2015 - $713k
2016 - $896k - assuming flat markets next week.

Out of this, only $210k would be considered net investments (taking out house equity and super). So therein lies the "problem" I have... not enough liquid, cash flow generating investments.

Something to solve in 2017.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #518 on: December 23, 2016, 03:10:28 PM »
Nice work, Marty.

I also have seen huge RE gains (though I don't have to take out the value, because mine provide lots of cash flow besides appreciation, per our different investing strategies we've discussed--rather than it being a "problem" towards FIRE, it vastly speeds up FIRE and makes it more secure versus sequence of returns risk).

I wrote a WHOLE long post for this thread a week ago actually, to give people a look at what net worth growth for a real estate investor can look like, complete with animated gif, years of data, financial goals in FIRE, etc.

Then I sat with the tab open, not posting it, for days, because of a comment someone made on their journal.  I finally cut and pasted it to a notepad file and saved it and closed the tab, and am still debating posting it.

Suffice it to say, RE investing is stupid (in a good way).  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #519 on: December 23, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »
My net worth tripled this year. Yes, I'm new to this and so it was low to begin with but I'm still super proud of myself!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #520 on: December 23, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »
My net worth tripled this year. Yes, I'm new to this and so it was low to begin with but I'm still super proud of myself!

So you should be!.. Well done..

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #521 on: December 23, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »
Nice work, Marty.

I also have seen huge RE gains (though I don't have to take out the value, because mine provide lots of cash flow besides appreciation, per our different investing strategies we've discussed--rather than it being a "problem" towards FIRE, it vastly speeds up FIRE and makes it more secure versus sequence of returns risk).

I wrote a WHOLE long post for this thread a week ago actually, to give people a look at what net worth growth for a real estate investor can look like, complete with animated gif, years of data, financial goals in FIRE, etc.

Then I sat with the tab open, not posting it, for days, because of a comment someone made on their journal.  I finally cut and pasted it to a notepad file and saved it and closed the tab, and am still debating posting it.

I'd love to see it! Though it will probably make me regret selling our duplex.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: December 23, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »
Nice work, Marty.

I'd love to see it! Though it will probably make me regret selling our duplex.

I would like to see it too. I appreciate we have have different views on what constitutes a good real estate deal, however that is due solely to unconscious (or conscious) bias with respect to our home markets.

Cash flow is certainly safer IMO, but it's very difficult to play that game and put your foot in that sandpit in Sydney.

I've worked within how our market is structured. It's just the way things have always been here. When the government is reluctant to change the rules towards a cash flow bias instead of capital because they're worried they'll be thrown out of office, then you can only go along with it.

You guys have a saying... "Don't fight the Fed"? It's unreasonable to be a contrarian when the herd has been moving in one direction for 35 years.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #523 on: December 23, 2016, 08:18:48 PM »
Our bigger disagreement is on the fact that you feel you have to invest in your local market, and I feel it's better to go elsewhere for a better deal if my local market doesn't meet my criteria.

Going for cash flow or appreciation both can work, but the latter is just too much hope for me.  A lot of times it works out though, as long as you aren't the greatest fool at the end of the line.

When you are getting paid cash flow all along the way (which funds more properties in accumulation, or funds your FIRE), and then appreciation that you eventually might tap, or not, well, I just can't see why not to go for that. Much safer, much better feeling to have those checks deposited in your account monthly.

And if that isn't available where you live, invest where it is.

:)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:23:51 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #524 on: December 23, 2016, 08:55:18 PM »

I've actually considered this, but having no rental properties locally makes it harder for me to consider investing in something I'm less experienced with and outside my current location.

Property in my current city doesn't come close to netting 1% of purchase price in rent (both rents and housing prices are going up about the same, too). But I'd be hesitant to buy real estate very far away as my first property.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #525 on: December 23, 2016, 08:57:08 PM »
Taking carefully calculated risks is the best path to success, IMO.

EDIT: Index funds will definitely get you there. Slow and steady definitely wins the race.

For someone very conservative, that may be the best path. Of course, for someone more conservative, CDs and a 1% WR might be the right path.

As with all the trade-offs, you're adding years of work by not adding some risk (which you can mitigate with education--I'd argue it's not riskier at all, if done right) and by adding work in the short term (it is definitely more work up front, though less than a full time job for extra years).

I mentioned in my analysis how many extra years we'd have had to work (we'd still be working) if we were saving up for a traditional 4% WR.

Your reluctance to invest elsewhere is understandable, but just means you need to spend time educating yourself on how to do so safely, IMO. :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 09:10:01 PM by arebelspy »

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #526 on: December 23, 2016, 10:44:28 PM »
2014: $291k
2015: $377k
Projected end of 2016: $448k

We were hoping to make a 100k increase but we had some significant unexpected expenses this year (mostly repairs on our old house).

We also had our first child in late 2015 and I quit my job to be a stay-at-home mom. All things considered I feel like we did pretty well.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #527 on: December 23, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »

I've actually considered this, but having no rental properties locally makes it harder for me to consider investing in something I'm less experienced with and outside my current location.

Property in my current city doesn't come close to netting 1% of purchase price in rent (both rents and housing prices are going up about the same, too). But I'd be hesitant to buy real estate very far away as my first property.

I bought 350 metres away from where I live as my first investment.

My second is 350 kilometres away.

Logically by extrapolation, my third one needs to be in the Sea of Tranquility on the Moon 350,000 kilometres away :D

Seriously though, I will need to spend a fair bit more time and research on other markets before jumping in the deep end.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #528 on: December 23, 2016, 10:59:12 PM »
2014: $291k
2015: $377k
Projected end of 2016: $448k

We were hoping to make a 100k increase but we had some significant unexpected expenses this year (mostly repairs on our old house).

We also had our first child in late 2015 and I quit my job to be a stay-at-home mom. All things considered I feel like we did pretty well.

Up $70k while on one income and a growing family is a huge effort - well done!

gb8895

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #529 on: December 23, 2016, 11:06:25 PM »
Approximately from
2015 $550k
2016 $950k

A good deal of this increase was in presumed home value... I don't really believe the Zillow numbers but this is what Mint plugs in for you.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: December 23, 2016, 11:17:53 PM »

Logically by extrapolation, my third one needs to be in the Sea of Tranquility on the Moon 350,000 kilometres away :D

Seriously though, I will need to spend a fair bit more time and research on other markets before jumping in the deep end.

I'm not that far from you, and I can recommend an awesome tenant... :P

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #531 on: December 24, 2016, 12:23:16 AM »

I'm not that far from you, and I can recommend an awesome tenant... :P

Question is, how will I bring myself to raise the rent on you and your DH each year?

Or are you banking on that? ^_^

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: December 24, 2016, 02:18:15 AM »

Question is, how will I bring myself to raise the rent...

I know one of your tenants. We'll unionise! :P

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #533 on: December 24, 2016, 02:24:03 AM »

I'm not that far from you, and I can recommend an awesome tenant...

Question is, how will I bring myself to raise the rent on you and your DH each year?

Or are you banking on that? ^_^
Add automated rent increases into the initial lease. :)

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #534 on: December 24, 2016, 07:35:29 AM »
It's January 1 so I did the calculations today of course. There are still some estimates since not everything is easily available electronically so I have to wait for some paper statements (fixing this is a goal for 2015).

Net worth increased about $151K, a mind-blowing number to me. This includes home equity which is a bit less than half of our total NW.

Another goal for 2015 is to do a better job of tracking how much gain or loss is due to the markets and how much is due to contributions. Right now I estimate that the $151K increase is about $101K contributions and $50K market related.

Fun to see that I had posted in this thread almost two years ago.  I reported that in 2014 our NW had gone up $151K ($CAD, but still nice). I revised 2014 due to a better real estate valuation, so it looks like this:
2014: $174K increase in NW
2015: $213K increase
2016: estimating a $239K increase

I apologize for linking to this again, but it seems relevant for this thread. I had posted back in 2014 that I wanted to better understand where our changes in NW had actually come from, so I finally worked it out:

This is so neat! How did you make it?

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #535 on: December 24, 2016, 07:48:08 AM »
I only started keeping track of my networth a year and a half ago, after starting a blog on this forum, but

In July 2015: Net worth $80,700
In November 2016: $134, 275.

Since starting this blog, I've had a net worth increase of $53,575. Not bad, but this next year, I think, we will be able to do that all in one year. We moved this year to a downsized house that needs remodeling, so a lot of our savings right now is going towards renovations.

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #536 on: December 24, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »
I don't actually have data from end of year 2015, but here's what I do have.
Mar, 2016: ~157
Dec, 2016: ~172

+15K

Living on one modest income and raising a little one. Not as impressive as some of the other numbers I've seen but we're moving in the right direction. Goal for 2017 is to hit 200K.

Rife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #537 on: December 25, 2016, 05:06:12 AM »
We paid back some 401k loans, market is up and my wife got a big company contribution to 401k (part for losing pension-about about 15% total). Our 401ks more than doubled from 135000 at the end of 2016 to 280000 now. Now we can start building up non-retirement accounts. Total net worth increase approximately 165000.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #538 on: December 25, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
I'm assuming we're not counting property, which according to Zillow makes us millionaires (who's got two thumbs and waaaay too much house? This guy...)

We went from ~$400k in liquid net worth to... $400k.

What?

-DW retired to ski, ride, and hang out with the kids full time, taking her former $50k postdoc income and full benefits to zero. It was pretty funny trying to explain to other grad students/postdocs (and her boss) that she wasn't coming back...
-I cut back to about half time work.
-We spent $75k on building a nice 2 bedroom vacation-rental apartment in our basement that should bring in more than half our annual expenses.
-We took the kids on camping, hiking, and ski trips and generally hit the library and the park as much as we wanted.

So I'm ok with no net change in status for the year, really!

-W

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #539 on: December 25, 2016, 10:30:11 PM »
That's a pretty good year, ww!  Love it.  :D

Nate R

• Bristles
Re: Net worth increase 2015 (i.e. the 'present' you give yourself)
« Reply #540 on: December 25, 2016, 11:28:48 PM »
End of 2013: 26.9K
End of 2014: 41.3K
End of 2015: 77.9K
End of 2016: 120K

Difference: + 42.1K.

Changes this year:

Bought a 2nd piece of property adjacent to our first piece on which we want to build a cabin eventually. That cost us $7K out of pocket.
Had over $10K in vet bills this year, ended up losing a young (3 year old) dog to cancer, which we initially were told likely was not cancer. Spent that money out of pocket
Spent several thousand on building an outhouse, outfitting our camper and other things for our new land.
Accelerated our car plan a bit, bought a brand new Hyundai Accent for $17K. (Small stickshift hatchback with good trunk space, at least) Took out a super cheap (2.4%) loan for most of that purchase.
Wife started a new job last week. Got out of a bad situation, more base pay, more time off, 1/2 the commute, and this job looks very promising!
Had lots of overtime $ in the beginning of the year, but that was cut off about mid year.

Overall, several challenges this year, some intentional, some unexpected. Very happy with the financial outcome given the challenges encountered. Hoping to have less challenges this year! Either way, happy to hit $120K in NW this year!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #541 on: December 26, 2016, 10:14:53 AM »
Our net worth almost doubled in 2016, increasing $63,186.39, up from $80,165.78 to $143,352.17. It was a combination of paying down debt, increasing investments, and some slight home value appreciation.

We are moving next year (same city), so there will be some associated costs, but I am still optimistic that we can bump up to $200,000 net worth by end of 2017.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #542 on: December 26, 2016, 10:33:50 AM »
December NetWorth Update / 2016 Overview

Start of 2016
cash    $72,369
short term investments    $40,087
retirement investments    $34,544
pensions    $72,283
car values    $11,000
life insurance policies    $7,600
home equity    $111,952
Net Worth    $349,835

End of the year:
Retirement Investments    $75,991
Short Term Investments    $41,915
Cash    $46,230
Pensions    $143,669
Home Equity    $121,114
Car Value    $10,600
Life Insurance    $8,500
Net Worth    $448,019

2016 Finances At A Glance               
Our net worth increased by $98,184               
Our net worth not counting pension increased by $54,864               
We added $41,447 to our retirement accounts               
We paid off final $28,000 on your years               
We paid for rest of wife's Ed Specialist degree and 15 credits for my MA+15 out of pocket               
DW got a new job, increasing our salary by about $15,000/year.  Great job babe!!               

Looking Ahead to 2017               
We will try to fill up both of our 403/457/Roth's for total of $83,000 invested               
We will pay about $10,000 more towards principal on our mortgage               
We will contribute about $10,000 towards our pensions               
In total, about $103,000 of our income will go towards savings next year               
Because we will be putting so much into investments, our bank account will dip               
Saving this aggressively will likely decrease our bank balance by about $23,000               
Subtracting these numbers, our true savings will be ~$80,000 next year               
Assuming normal growth, our current investments should grow ~$10,000 next year               
So, a good year means we increase our net worth by ~$90,000 in 2017               
I believe these numbers are ambitious but doable               
This puts us on schedule to be FI by around 41 and definitely able to retire at 48 as has been our plan.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #543 on: December 26, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
The combined power of two 403/401k plans also means you will be making a sizable dent in your taxes too. We only had a single 401k (DW has a teachers pension instead).

If you live in Oregon where ALL (the first $4250 or so is free) income is taxed at the same rate at a hefty 9 to 9.9% that would have made a big dent in our taxes over the years.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:54:12 AM by Exflyboy »

Dirt Rich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #544 on: December 26, 2016, 11:07:16 PM »
Killed around 25k in debt
Added around 10k in retirement accts
Massive diy home renos adding at least 10k in value (uneducated guess)

~$45k net worth increase

Wow this is actually kind of surprising. I was feeling a little sad that we aren't rich yet lol, but I guess we did better than I thought : )

mochila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #545 on: December 27, 2016, 09:34:47 AM »
I've been tracking my NW only since 2011, when it FINALLY went positive.

For 2016 it's up 40%, thanks to a change in role that added enough to my salary to enable me to max out my 403b, Roth IRA, and 457.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #546 on: December 27, 2016, 10:00:29 AM »
This was our first year with two incomes and mustachianism and holy cow what a difference it makes!

January 2016: 208k
December 2016: 266k
Those numbers include home equity - we bought a house in September.

Non home equity change was:
January: 136k
December 206k
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:02:49 AM by StarBright »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: December 28, 2016, 11:07:30 AM »
Killed around 25k in debt
Added around 10k in retirement accts
Massive diy home renos adding at least 10k in value (uneducated guess)

~$45k net worth increase

Wow this is actually kind of surprising. I was feeling a little sad that we aren't rich yet lol, but I guess we did better than I thought : )

Being rich is a function of putting one Mustacian foot in front of the other day after day for years.. Don't fall off the wagon and one day you'll be amazed that you have a million dollar portfolio!..:)

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #548 on: December 28, 2016, 03:23:19 PM »
Congrats everyone!

I run our financial year to end Nov.

NW (investments & property)
 Nov 15: $865k
 Nov 16: $1,085k

Very happy with that increase: this year we sold an IP at what we thin was market peak, partly offset by ridiculous $$ repairs to another (would love to have sold that one but CGT says no) and DH stopped working in April to look after a sick relative & then himself.  No expecting the same gain this year, as we are planning on ploughing some back into our house  (and visiting my sister in the UK in August)

We're at 61% of our FIRE number, the end is in sight!!

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #549 on: December 28, 2016, 04:30:26 PM »
Turns out we had a pretty good year despite the massive money-letting that was the renovations to our new-to-us old house. This is our first home so we went from NW compromised of purely investments and cash to that plus home equity.

Our NW as of December 31, 2015 was $333,176.15 and current NW including home equity is $427,947.20 (+$94,771.05). This is impressive considering we spent just shy of $45k in closing costs and home improvements this year.

2016 NW breakdown
Cash and investments: $370,799.22
Home equity (purchase price - mortgage balance): $46,619.89
Cars (2): $10,528.09
Total: $427,947.20

Good news for 2017
- Annual husehold income has increased from $170,600 to $183,570 (+$12,970) due to my husband's recent promotion plus year-end increases for both of us. This doesn't include any bonus income we may see this year. Woo hoo!
- As of May 2016 my husband and I work in the same location and carpool to work most days. I'm looking forward to greatly reduced car usage and gas consumption now that we only have one home.
- All of the major renovation work in the house is finished, so we can get back to dumping serious cash into investments! We just have some small stuff left now...lawnmower, some paint, garden supplies, etc.
- We have no big spendy plans for 2017. We're talking about keeping our travel local and hosting my in-laws instead of traveling internationally to see them.

2017 NW Goal
Hit $500k NW (cash, investments, home equity) by my husband's 30th birthday in August, with a stretch goal of $550k by this time next year.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!