Author Topic: NBA Finals Watch Party - Free!  (Read 7951 times)

JessEsq

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
NBA Finals Watch Party - Free!
« on: June 04, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
For much of the season, me and my fellow Cavaliers fans (all cord-cutters) watched the Cavs games in local bars. Luckily, these are all walking distance. But, try as we might, money was inevitably spent. I felt bad sitting there for hours each week and not buying anything. We were able to watch some games over-the-air (Sundays and holidays were on ABC) and some games by "hacking" my mom's cable (ESPN 3!).

Luckily, the NBA Finals are on ABC... so us common folk can enjoy them. During the past week, several friends commented that they would be "out late" watching the game and that the week between the conference finals and NBA Finals was "a break for the wallet."

Turns out, most of my cord-cutting friends don't even own rabbit ears!

Cue the free watch party... I invited the locals over to BYOB and enjoy my (very non-frugal) huge TV and rabbit ears. Most are bringing snacks to share, so actually we are coming out ahead in this deal. We are doing the same "open invite" for the remainder of the games. No bar spending for us.

GO CAVS!

Norrie

• Bristles
Re: NBA Finals Watch Party - Free!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »
My main reason for not giving up cable was so that we could watch our beloved basketball team (OKC Thunder). My husband and I watch every game, sometimes with the kids, and sometimes we wait until they're in bed. Neither of us watch a single other thing on TV, and so we considered nixing it and going the bar route, but neither of us are drinkers, we'd feel obligated to buy something to eat or drink, and that adds up fast with 3-4 games a week. We are also able to use cable as a tax write off, though I don't care about that as much as basketball.

I spent about six months agonizing over how un-mustachian we were being, but then realized that basketball is something that we really value, we love spending that time together, and our entertainment budget is otherwise non-existent.

I'm half-rooting for the Cavs, because my guy Perkins is there now, but it's hard to hate the Warriors.

PatentAtty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 02:50:23 PM »
Glad to see there is another frugal attorney in Ctown.  Go Cavs!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »
I have to admit, even as a devout NBA hater (they screwed my city), I'm pretty excited about this final, and I'm gonna watch it.

And we have cable...cuz we can afford it. :)

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »
I'm an NBA fan and I cut the cord as well. I get Sling now which has ESPN and TNT so I barely miss anything.

vermospan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »
I'm an NBA fan and I cut the cord as well. I get Sling now which has ESPN and TNT so I barely miss anything.

How well does Sling work in your experience? I have been eyeing it closely, as sports are the only thing keeping me with my cable service.

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »

How well does Sling work in your experience? I have been eyeing it closely, as sports are the only thing keeping me with my cable service.

I've been happy with it, but it has its problems. I do run into buffering and having to re-start the app at times. This happens mostly on ESPN, who I suspect intentionally wants their stream to be an inferior product to cable. ESPN doesn't allow you to pause/rewind live TV if you like to do anything fancy like that. Overall, despite the drawbacks, I like it and I think it will improve. I don't miss cable at all.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 11:50:17 AM »
congrats.

most mmm'ers think cable/dish is a unneccessary expense; but if you're a sports fan; i see it as a cheap alternative.

i dont go to any sports games anymore, but for $40 per month; i can watch almost any game except things like the michigan-michigan state game that may only be on the big 10 network and i have a better seat than 95% of those at the game now.

abc did a story on these two bay area ladies that have been season ticket holders to the warriors for over 20 years and all i could think was they probably could have watched all thos games from home and saved enough to take some cruises all over the world; but its their lives; their money.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »
Sports was by far the hardest part of cutting our cable.  However we now have it back again as there was a promo on, so I pay the same for the next year as I did without the cable, and our cable was restored just in time for March Madness...what a coincidence! 

As a huge NBA fan, I was/am really looking forward this finals match up.  I am pulling for Lebron on this one, but with out Kyrie now, hopes are pretty slim.  And kind of ironically, without Kyrie and Love, this Cavs team kind of reminds me of the 07 Cavs finals team...Lebron and not much else (except TT...has he been great or what?)

vermospan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the insight, retireatbirth.  I'm going to keep following the developments with SlingTV.

Agreed on the Cavs, Fake Cheap.  I would like to see them win, but it'll be very difficult.  They need their defense to be elite, and they really need JR and Shumpert to step up huge.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »
FUCK LEBRON JAMES!

/go warriors

JessEsq

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 10:05:30 AM »
Well, the free watch parties are working well so far. Most people who dropped by brought snacks and drinks.

The series so far is causing heart attacks, ulcers, and sleepless night !

Thanks for the SlingTV recommendation - I will look into it. I mostly watch Basketball and Football - and the latter is generally available on NBC, Fox, ABC and we can get those with rabbit ears.

Go Cavs!

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »

if you live in cleveland, you can watch it free on the mga screen outside the stadium with 5,000 of your closest friends !

and in the cool 70 degree night with wind coming off the lake(says a jealous houstonian).

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 10:53:14 AM »
My main reason for not giving up cable was so that we could watch our beloved basketball team (OKC Thunder). My husband and I watch every game, sometimes with the kids, and sometimes we wait until they're in bed. Neither of us watch a single other thing on TV, and so we considered nixing it and going the bar route, but neither of us are drinkers, we'd feel obligated to buy something to eat or drink, and that adds up fast with 3-4 games a week. We are also able to use cable as a tax write off, though I don't care about that as much as basketball.

I spent about six months agonizing over how un-mustachian we were being, but then realized that basketball is something that we really value, we love spending that time together, and our entertainment budget is otherwise non-existent.

I'm half-rooting for the Cavs, because my guy Perkins is there now, but it's hard to hate the Warriors.

I cut the cord after the season, also in OKC. I don't know if I'll survive come next November.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »

I cut the cord after the season, also in OKC. I don't know if I'll survive come next November.

I'd invite you round to watch the games, but we're in Tulsa. Probably not a cost effective way of watching them. Depending on how next season goes (not stoked about the new coach), we may be cutting it permanently too.

JessEsq, these games have got to be brutal for you. I remember the stress of watching the Thunder in the Finals - it totally did me in. It's definitely a fun series though.

JessEsq

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
JessEsq, these games have got to be brutal for you. I remember the stress of watching the Thunder in the Finals - it totally did me in. It's definitely a fun series though.

Brutal might be an understatement. All of the games are "school nights" and they have been ending around midnight -- and by the end, I am so ramped up, it's tough to sleep.

It'll all be over soon, for better or for worse. It has been a nice atmosphere in NE OH in general though - we are excited to have the prodigal son back. (I am from Akron. Graduated same year as LeBron from the all-girl high school about 1/2 mile away from his school). When they occasionally show shots of St. Vincent - St. Mary or the neighborhood around there - I can walk to all of those places. The 'buzz' is a great thing.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »
Totally understood. Just having an NBA team is a HUGE deal for Oklahoma. Having something positive associated with our state is rad, and gave a much-needed boost.

I'm 100% not a fan of the playoffs. I don't enjoy the high stakes games and all the emotion that comes with them. I live for the 82 games of the regular season. I have been enjoying this run though, because I like both teams in different ways, but don't have that high emotion/can't sleep afterwards racket going.

Best to you and the Cavs!

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 09:47:04 PM »

Perkins? What that guy has been useless since he left Boston...terrible for OKC in the playoffs and I really think he hurt them in the long run going against dominate/good centers.. I can complain all day and I think he's overpaid and he's just sitting on the bench...

Anyways, Cavs may be out a few guys but they are playing well. I'd like to see GSW win.

And as much as I enjoy the Blazers I do miss the Sonics.  Personally I would have to love see the Mavs/Spurs/Nets/Hawks go. Glad the Rockets didn't go, I cant stand Howard. But GSW/Cavs is an interesting series with teams who haven't been in a while
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:52:35 PM by FrugalKube »

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 10:33:44 AM »
We listened to most of the games on WTAM 1100 and once went to my sister's to watch. I'll keep paying $0 for TV, thanks. Glad the finals are on ABC.
GO CAVS!

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 04:47:00 AM »
FUCK LEBRON JAMES!

/go warriors

I agree, LeBron James is an arrogant, mercenary jerk.  Any Clevelander who thinks he came back there (after screwing them to the wall 4 years before) "because he just wanted to come home" is a delusional fool- he went there because after 4 years of getting trounced, Cleveland was loaded with young, low paid high draft picks that could be used to bring in more mercenaries (Love, Mozgov, Shumpert, Smith, Perkins, etc) to help bring LeBron to another title.

I enjoyed watching the Spurs (the ultimate TEAM) chew up and spit out LeBron and his hand picked team in Miami last year, and while I'm not a huge GSW fan, I'm hoping they send LeBron packing again this year.  Odds are, if LeBron doesn't win this year, he'll do another "Decision" to try and get himself on another loaded team and leave Cleveland in the lurch, again...

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 07:38:31 AM »
GO CAVS!
Someone's angry at LBJ here. Ha!

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »

Perkins? What that guy has been useless since he left Boston...terrible for OKC in the playoffs and I really think he hurt them in the long run going against dominate/good centers.. I can complain all day and I think he's overpaid and he's just sitting on the bench...

I can't argue with any of this, but we still like the guy. There were several games in which he felt invaluable to the Thunder winning, but overall I agree with everything you've said.

I'm really looking forward to today's game. It's much easier to relax and enjoy when you're really fine with either team winning.

Hayden Frys Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
In our house, we've only half cut the cord - I have a desire to watch college footbawl and basketball, but from April-August there's nothing to watch we can't get free online....I found out I could suspend my service once or twice a year - intended for people who don't live in their home all year round - so no bills until I start using the programming again in September. Saved $500 and I still get the sports.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 11:34:12 PM »

I can't argue with any of this, but we still like the guy. There were several games in which he felt invaluable to the Thunder winning, but overall I agree with everything you've said.

I'm really looking forward to today's game. It's much easier to relax and enjoy when you're really fine with either team winning.
Well said! That is the kind of attitude Im trying to focus on with the playoffs. I understand the loyalty, as a Sonics guy I still liked Ray Allen even when he played for other teams and I wanted him to get a ring with the Celtics so badly

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »

Well said! That is the kind of attitude Im trying to focus on with the playoffs. I understand the loyalty, as a Sonics guy I still liked Ray Allen even when he played for other teams and I wanted him to get a ring with the Celtics so badly

Err, Ray Allen was good.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »
Heh, skunkfunk. I know, okay? It's totally irrational.
I'm also a huge Nick Collison fan and was bummed at how little time he got on the floor this past season.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 01:56:27 AM »
GO CAVS!
Someone's angry at LBJ here. Ha!

Well, looks like "the Chosen One" went down in flames yet again, with another hand picked team designed to get him a title.

Arrogant, chest thumping "me first" player like LeBron, who would sell out their own mother (or their home town) to get a title, just don't appeal to me.

I guess as a San Antonio Spurs fan, I'm spoiled by the team first, humble demeanor of stars like Tim Duncan, Kawhi Leonard, and Manu Ginobili.  It was a true joy to watch the low key Spurs thump LeBron and the "Heatles" last year.

Not quite as much fun to watch LeBron and his new all star team lose to the Warriors, but it's always fun to watch Mr. Arrogant fail.

So where will LeBron be "taking his talents" next year?  LA?  NY?  He'll probably dump Cleveland (again) because they probably won't be able to keep all of their players.  He'll sell himself to whatever team he thinks has the best chance to win.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 04:10:05 AM »
LBJ is the best player out there. So tired of all the whining about him by jealous people. Does the obvious really need to be stated? He accomplished more than you or any one person here will ever accomplish in their lifetime and he did it by age 17. So quit your whining.

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 04:13:02 AM »
And by the way, why does anyone care that he goes to where he will win? No one in Cleveland thinks he just came here because he wanted to come home, as someone idiotically said earlier. Of course he wants to win, and he should go where he wants.

JessEsq

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »
with another hand picked team designed to get him a title.

That is probably the funniest thing I have read all day. If you think LeBron wanted to be facing Steph Curry with the likes of Matthew Dellavedova and JR Smith, you probably don't watch enough basketball! Undrafted (finals) rookies and cast offs from the worst team in the league? No. That was not what he chose. He wanted to be playing with Love, Irving, and Varejao.

I am proud of what LeBron and the Cavs accomplished this year. It was a fun season to watch and a great Finals series.

LeBron is the best player in the league right now. Triple Doubles. 40+ points. With the team and the weight of an entire city on his shoulders. Also - as I indicated before - I am from Akron. LeBron left Cleveland in 2010. He never left Akron, ever.

Got through the entire Finals series with no trips to the bar! Going to look into the most economical way to watch the games next season! At least my next favorite sport (football!) is almost always on over-the-air channels.

Cheers!

Edited to fix spelling and add that Delly is a finals rookie - he is on his whole second year of NBA play!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:00:13 AM by JessEsq »