Author Topic: My life fell apart this year, and I still increased my net worth  (Read 6942 times)

CindyBS

• Bristles
My life fell apart this year, and I still increased my net worth
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:23:39 PM »
At the end of the year, my net worth only increased $2K since July.  However, since July my son (age 13) was diagnosed with cancer, and I have gone on unpaid leave to care for him.  So, our income went down by a big margin.  Then we were a 1 car family and his illness required we buy another car.  We chose not to finance and liquidated some of our assets to buy a reliable used car.  We have had an increase in many expenses - medical bills, gas, parking at the hospital, etc which has been helped a little by the fact we cannot go on vacations or go out to eat regularly.  Savings for FIRE is the category of spending that was reduced the most.

My son is most likely going to survive and his prognosis is good.  $2K is peanuts for this group, but I am pretty proud given our situation.  I most likely will return to work in April and we will probably be able to save more aggressively then.

PtboEliz

• Stubble
Re: My life fell apart this year, and I still increased my net worth
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 01:34:08 PM »
Cindy, you definitely should feel very proud. I'm sorry for the hard time - a very sick child is about as bad as it gets. Your approach is inspiring. Congratulations on being in a solid situation that allows you to take an unpaid leave. All the best for the holidays for your family and please keep us updated as to your son's progress.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 01:37:01 PM »
Very sorry you're in that situation. If your medical costs are 10% AGI or more, you can deduct them from your taxes, which might help soften the financial blow, though not the emotional one.

Hoping for a very speedy, full recovery!

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »
You made finances a minor concern in an unfortunate situation.  This is when frugality and mustachianism are the most important.  Many people would have had financial stress along with all of the other stresses of a sick child.  KUDOS to you.  And I hope your child makes a full recovery!!

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:47:22 PM »
Thanks all.  We have lived well below our means for years and have used this money to "buy" our time with our son as he goes through the hardest thing in his life.  I can't even imagine having to work during this time.  I can't even imagine having to work if he was going to die soon (which he probably won't). We don't have as much money as we used to, but are still very comfortable.  FIRE and paying off our mortgage has been postponed, but is still in reach before I turn 50. 

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »
Congrats on saving money for what I believe is the most important purpose: improving the lives of those you love.  While your personal goals are delayed a bit, I'd imagine the satisfaction of having to capacity to care for your family massively overwhelmes the setback.  Cheers to your family and their health, and good luck to the future.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
I'm so sorry you and your family are going through such a hard time.  It's wonderful to hear that recovery and normalcy are just on the horizon.

With that said, you are an absolute inspiration.  I have a suspicion that you've done better than 95% of people IN THIS FORUM would have done in the same situation.  Your son is very lucky to have such wise and badass parents.

chrisgermany

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:35:29 PM »
Sending good wishes for your son.
You are doing great. People come first, money will sort out.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 08:06:09 PM »
Sending good wishes for your son.
You are doing great. People come first, money will sort out.

+1

Sorry for your situation Cindy, but I'm happy you were able to persevere - you're probably a stronger person for having gone through it. Wishing you (and your family) the best!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 10:19:37 PM »
Cindy, your story is humbling and inspirational.  Best wishes to your family for 2017 and beyond.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
As you have shown, being with your son is the most important thing right now. It is wonderful that you do not have to worry about the money at a time like this and shows the need for all of us to have savings. Enjoy your time with your son and wishing him an easy journey through this rough time. Please keep us updated on his progress.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »
Good values, good actions, good results.  Well done, Cindy.  Good luck with your son.

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 12:58:55 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about your son's condition. Stay strong. Good luck with everything.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 01:26:04 PM »
Best of luck to you and your son in 2017. <3 <3

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 11:55:53 PM »
I'm so glad you have been able to do what you need to without having to worry terribly over the cost. Best of luck to you and your son.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 12:20:01 AM »
Relationships (family) are so much more important than money.

The fact that you were able to take that time with your son is terrific, and the fact that you still increased your net worth is badass!

I hope your son has a full recovery, and 2017 goes much better for all of you!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 12:40:16 AM »
You were dealt one of the shittiest possible hands, and came out smelling like roses.

We now know to call you when the zombies come.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 03:58:05 PM »
What a feeling of relief to be able to drop everything and be there for your son when he needed you the most.

I had cancer this year too, and we also managed to get through three plus months of my unemployment and my spouse taking a lot of time off with no real difficulty.  Yes, it put a pause on our financial progress, but those goals pale in comparison to the goal of being in the present moment and spending time with loved ones.

I bow to the badassity in you.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
Well done. Good luck to you and your son in 2017!

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »
I'm thrilled for you that the dreaded Cancer did not get your family down.  In fact, you've come out ahead! That's impressive and what a blessing to be able to focus on what matters most-- family!!  Wishing you all a wonderful 2017. 

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »
You were dealt one of the shittiest possible hands, and came out smelling like roses.

We now know to call you when the zombies come.

This is by far the most awesome compliment I have gotten.

Thanks everyone!