Author Topic: My investments have already made more than I do and we are only 4 weeks into2018  (Read 4206 times)

Goldy

• Bristles
Since Jan 1 my investments have grown just over 100k in 26 days.  My salary is 95k so it looks like the breadwinner in our household will be green army.  Compound interest for the win!

felizcortez

• Stubble
Since Jan 1 my investments have grown just over 100k in 26 days.  My salary is 95k so it looks like the breadwinner in our household will be green army.  Compound interest for the win!

Nice.  Compound interest is the strongest force in the universe. 

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
Same here. Looks like I'm at 136% of my annual salary in portfolio appreciation.

This year might be the year that I pull the trigger on RE.

JohnGalt

• Bristles
Similar idea but different take on it... Our investments have increased in value by ~2 years worth of expenses since January 1.

I try not to get excited about crazy months like this by keeping in mind there will be days or months that go the other direction and I have no idea where will be at year's end.  It's a marathon, not a sprint. 

Goldy

• Bristles
Same here. Looks like I'm at 136% of my annual salary in portfolio appreciation.

This year might be the year that I pull the trigger on RE.

Nice work!

ickhos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How's that working out now? Yikes! The market swings.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
Keep calm and ride it out.

Goldy

• Bristles

The market giveth, the market takeith.  I haven’t crunched the numbers yet but i’m probably down 125k which sure sounds like a lot but it just knocked me back to my December or November levels.  Feb will be my first negative month since aug 2016 so i’m not going to complain.

thriftyc

• Bristles
LOL!

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
Now if only I can keep my investments from losing more money in a week than I can spend in a month, I'll be set.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Now if only I can keep my investments from losing more money in a week than I can spend in a month, I'll be set.

I don't think I could spend as much money as I've lost if I tried. We've lost tens of thousands, if not hundred thousand (I won't check- I check accounts on the first and that's it.)

I always failed at those hypothetical "spend this much money" assignments in school.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
'Green Army' has went AWOL!

Damn mercenaries!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache

I don't think I could spend as much money as I've lost if I tried. We've lost tens of thousands, if not hundred thousand (I won't check- I check accounts on the first and that's it.)

If the company issuing the stock didn't go out of business, and you didn't sell the stock when the price was down, you didn't lose a damn thing.  Not one penny.

And if if you didn't sell the stock and didn't receive a dividend, you didn't make anything either.

You own exactly the same percentage of those businesses you always did.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache

One of the classic hallmarks of the naive investor is assuming their great returns over a short period will continue, and counting profits before they've locked them in. It's certainly heartening to see one's account grow dramatically, but poor practice to think of it as certain money in the same way your earned salary is. Unless of course you took all your profits and popped it in a nice savings account.
And it wasn't compound interest for the win. If it was compound interest, it would be (apart from being a much smaller amount) paid money in your account, safe from market corrections. It isn't and it's not.