Author Topic: My inaugural bike ride tonight  (Read 3350 times)

kolorado

• Bristles
My inaugural bike ride tonight
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »
I hadn't owned a bike in 16 years until I bought one two weeks ago. Since I planned to use it for exercise while running errands I also bought good locks, a really good helmet and big rear baskets. All in all I spent $250. Now that I've had it out in traffic I know that I also want an odometer and a rearview mirror. Really need that mirror!
But anyway, I'd taken the bike out on the trail here but not out anywhere on the roads yet because of the all-new-to-me process of riding in the city and carefully securing the bike somewhere while I do my stuff. We needed some milk tonight and I almost chickened out and took the car the 1.4 mile round trip instead. I was injured on a bike as a toddler and consequently learned late to ride a big bike(around 9)and then had really nervous parents. It kinda takes the fun out of riding when you're only allowed to go 1/10th a mile in either direction of your driveway. I gave up biking after riding only 5 years. I don't blame them, I grew up safe and never got snatched but even as an adult I'm still replaying all my past and their reasons why things aren't safe. I'm not a kid anymore and although this whole thing may seem really pathetic to many of you, I am stinking proud of myself for my milk run tonight. I even had fun and am looking forward to my next outing. :) I won't save much money on commuting anywhere but I'm thinking the start-up expense will be worth it in increased self-confidence. ;)

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: My inaugural bike ride tonight
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:06:36 PM »
Awesome stuff, the more you do it the more confident you'll become

FWIW I too was injured on my tricycle as a toddler (got knocked over by a motor bike - bleeding head, permanent stitches, couldn't chew for a few weeks).

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »
Excellent!  Congrats on the successful start of your mustachian travel lifestyle!  :D

I was involved in many bicycle accidents growing up, some involving injury and many involving minor scrapes and bruises.  My younger brother was hit by a grain truck crossing 4 lanes of traffic which sent him flying over the hood.  He ended up with a nice fracture, and was lucky at that.  We had a quarter-pipe in our yard where we did tons of crazy BMX stunts, and we rode in various races around the cities.  But in the big picture each accident was usually due to mistakes by the rider.  And even riding fast and crazy as teenagers over many thousands of miles, nobody died...  :)  (riding 30 miles in an evening wasn't a big deal) The more you ride the more you will enjoy it and feel comfortable, the distances will seem smaller and smaller, and you will stop thinking that it's a "big deal".  That is what you want, because that is when you are in a habit, and habits are what help us keep on the right path when things in life get crazy.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 06:23:35 AM »
Good job! I had an inaugural ride of my own yesterday.. first time getting groceries on a bike. It was quite enjoyable, and I hope to do it regularly. Got a lot of stares and some comments in this small Southern town. Oh well. :)

Jimmy

darkelenchus

• Bristles
  • True wealth comes from good health and wise ways.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:21:19 AM »
Congrats! Great to hear it, and keep on keeping on in your biking journey! Biking is truly the cornerstone of Mustachianism!

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:12:09 AM »
Congrats!

Here's a blog post that may help you ride more confidently in traffic.
http://blog.cascade.org/2012/05/take-the-lane/

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »
Great stuff!  I love hearing about new biking experiences!