Author Topic: My first 1099-DIV :)  (Read 5921 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
My first 1099-DIV :)
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
Granted, this is more a step towards badassity than badassity itself. 

Between paying off student loans, being in a low-income field, and buying an apartment, I have never had more money to invest beyond the max for retirement accounts.  Until 2012.  So, hot off the presses, here comes my bright shiny statement from Vanguard duly informing me they have reported my $26 in dividends to the IRS. 

Anybody else getting their first one?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: My first 1099-DIV :)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
I treasured my first dividend statement. But that was way back in 2005. I think anytime you get paid for the first time for doing something there's a certain sense of greatly increased satifaction

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:05:02 AM »
Awesome, thats great!

I should be posting in this thread with my first one exactly a year from now :)

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 06:13:45 AM »
Just got my first one from Vanguard yesterday!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:17:39 PM »
I treasured my first dividend statement. But that was way back in 2005. I think anytime you get paid for the first time for doing something there's a certain sense of greatly increased satifaction

Or in this case getting paid for doing nothing XD

c

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
I'm new to dividends too. I have to report them to my company as I reinvest, and it's mildly embarrassing contacting compliance for my $5 here, 75c there, but yay dividends.

Fuyu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
I will sometime in February. Bah Sharebuilder ^^;;. I earned more from interest from savings accounts than dividends this year, but it's exciting to finally start not leaving money in savings account and using it more productively. =)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »

Doing nothing is good too : ) but I've always been uncomfortable about getting something for nothing (sad I know). So I keep telling myself 2 things about dividends.

1) I've earned enough to be able to invest
2) I've taken the risk to invest.

Makes me feel like I've earned it, even though the cash just rolls in.

Freeyourchains

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:44:09 AM »
I'm new to dividends too. I have to report them to my company as I reinvest, and it's mildly embarrassing contacting compliance for my $5 here, 75c there, but yay dividends.

This is very very unforunate. The bosses of your company are keeping tabs on it's employee's finances. Seeing whom is a creditor and whom is a debtor for their own agenda preferences. You should not have to report any other income to your company.

It's like companies doing background checks, to see whom owns a mortgage, car loans, etc. so they may know which employees are desperate for a job kind of deal.
Not all companies are shady, but all companies are a little unethical. Be watchful as to why they are collecting your personal information.

MrSaturday

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »

This is very very unforunate. The bosses of your company are keeping tabs on it's employee's finances. Seeing whom is a creditor and whom is a debtor for their own agenda preferences. You should not have to report any other income to your company.

I'm guessing they're forced to report this to stay in compliance with SEC regulations, not because the employer wants to waste time and money playing big brother.

Jwilliamson22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »

I'm guessing they're forced to report this to stay in compliance with SEC regulations, not because the employer wants to waste time and money playing big brother.

^what he said... I have stipulations on my investments too :/ just part of being in the industry i guess

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »

Doing nothing is good too : ) but I've always been uncomfortable about getting something for nothing (sad I know). So I keep telling myself 2 things about dividends.

I was going to reply similarly.  It's inaccurate for instance to state that spending money is what stimulates economic activity.  Investing capital is also critical to economic activity.  By investing, you are doing something necessary and beneficial.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »

I was going to reply similarly.  It's inaccurate for instance to state that spending money is what stimulates economic activity.  Investing capital is also critical to economic activity.  By investing, you are doing something necessary and beneficial.

Oh, it's true.  And I would never put down someone else's investing efforts as being "nothing."  I guess I am one of those people who really enjoys getting something for nothing (sad I know). So thinking of it that way is motivating and also helps me accept the risk a bit.