Author Topic: My Electric Bills....  (Read 4689 times)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
My Electric Bills....
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:49:47 AM »
I wanted to share with my friends but didn't think they'd care, so I'm sharing with you people because I am happy!

Recently bought my first home in North Metro Atlanta area - I mention this for humidity and ac.

Anyways, when I did my budget before moving in I put in an estimate of $200 a month. I thought this was high but I wasn't sure what I'd be paying because my house is all electric.

So here is my actual totals and usage ----

June =               $69.00    - This was really just the connection fee and a few days of use.
July =                $125.00  - 1091 KWh
August =           $93.35    - 788 KWh
September =     $65.93    - 526 KWh

I work from home in IT (laptop on all day), my wife is a SAHM, and we have a 2 year old.

I'm pretty happy. :)

Eventually will get around to replacing the bulbs with new ones. Hopefully that helps.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: My Electric Bills....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:55:51 AM »
Great work.  Update in the spring - I'm told electric heat can get very expensive, although that wasn't my experience when I had it (may have benefited from heat rising from condo's below me at that place though).

The bulbs will help some, but heating / cooling air and water are the big energy sinks in almost everyone's house.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
Those numbers could be great, or they could be terrible. What kind of building do you live in (condo, townhouse, ranch house, two-story house), how big is it, and how old is it?

(I wish my 1500 ft^2 single-story bungalow in intown Atlanta, allegedly insulated to the circa-2000 building code minimum standards, were that cheap to cool in the summer!)

For comparison, here's how I did (which was terrible):

MonthPriceKWH
June$138.69899
July$205.611287
August$182.201152

(Incidentally, I find myself wondering why you seem to be paying less per KWH even though we both probably have Georgia Power.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:42:54 AM by Jack »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
Great work.  Update in the spring - I'm told electric heat can get very expensive, although that wasn't my experience when I had it (may have benefited from heat rising from condo's below me at that place though).

The bulbs will help some, but heating / cooling air and water are the big energy sinks in almost everyone's house.

Thanks, I'll post an update after the winter.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »
Those numbers could be great, or they could be terrible. What kind of building do you live in (condo, townhouse, ranch house, two-story house), how big is it, and how old is it?

(I wish my 1500 ft^2 single-story bungalow in intown Atlanta, allegedly insulated to the circa-2000 building code minimum standards, were that cheap to cool in the summer!)

(Incidentally, I find myself wondering why you seem to be paying less per KWH even though we both probably have Georgia Power.)

Fair enough -

2 story home - new build, 2015.
2300 sq ft

I'm actually with Jackson EMC and it does seem like you are paying more then me. You also live in a cooler area so it's probably worth it. ;)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:34:40 AM »
I just got my Hydro bill and my average use September 15 to October 15 was 16 Kw/day.  Same time last year was 19 kw/day.  The only downside is that most of the drop was during off-peak hours. 

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 07:08:27 AM »
Wife started complaining about it being too cold the other day. :(

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 05:58:38 AM »
Wife started complaining about it being too cold the other day. :(

I'm also trying to drop my heating bills.  My kids are with me half of the time, so they are the only ones I worry about - I keep asking if they are cold....they just look at me like I'm crazy.  Of course I'm not cold dad!  The warm fuzzy PJs probably help. :)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 06:16:44 AM »
We heat our house with natural gas, and the company just sent us a note comparing our use to other homes in the neighbourhood like us (similar size).

I know this is supposed to be a gamification/self-imposed social pressure thing, but it doesn't work very well when they tell us that we're using 5% less than the average of the "efficient" houses in our area.  And that was before we replaced our siding, added some exterior insulation, and replaced an incorrectly installed window so it actually closes.  I expect we'll use even less this winter.

They should have found another approach for us over(under?) achievers.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 09:47:18 AM »

Fair enough -

2 story home - new build, 2015.
2300 sq ft

I'm actually with Jackson EMC and it does seem like you are paying more then me. You also live in a cooler area so it's probably worth it. ;)
My place is half the size but 30 years old, and not using a whole lot less. It's true what they say WRT electric heat - while we stayed well under $100 in summer, we broke $200 in Jan and Feb. Now that I'm done with lighting projects and can finally add insulation, this winter should be better. Right now it's anywhere from 6 to 18 inches but the low spots are big heat suckers.

TechMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 08:23:54 PM »
Wow, I'm certainly glad I can survive the summer without A/C thanks to Denver's dry climate. I don't envy your humudity.