Author Topic: My Daughter's Frugal Romance  (Read 3691 times)

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My Daughter's Frugal Romance
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:23:45 AM »
I think you all would approve of this. 

My daughter is living abroad teaching English in one of the struggling European countries.  She has fallen in love with a local, a young computer programmer, and they are starting to build a life together.  They have been together for a year and a half.   They recently had a civil union so she could apply for residency, and are planning on getting married someday.

When he proposed for the civil union he did the traditional proposal down on one knee, but couldn't afford a ring.  They bought a cheap ring at an H&M store because that was all there was in the budget.  My daughter tells me that she does not really care about rings.  She said she can’t wear it often because it turns her finger green, and we had a great kind-hearted laugh together over that.  She also told me that when they get married she just wants a small simple ceremony with a few friends and family.

They do like to travel, but they do it on the cheap, and they have picnics and sight-see instead of expensive dates.  Both of their families are financially comfortable, but they don’t try to keep up with those standards.  They live within their small means and seem wonderfully happy to do so together.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
Re: My Daughter's Frugal Romance
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:27:16 AM »
Badass - Way to go!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:42:11 AM »
Perfect approach to a long and stress reduced togetherness..:)

Frank

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 10:29:48 AM »
Very nice.

I can't imagine a simple, plain band is very expensive though. Probably worth the money so her finger doesn't turn green and other suitors are aware she is unavailable. :)

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 12:31:55 PM »
When (and if) they choose to get married, I have a vintage family ring they are welcome to. Until then they are on their own.  They are between boyfriend/girlfriend and marriage (no U.S. equivalent) so it is whatever they both feel comfortable with.  I think the green finger ring is actually kind of cute and will make a nice story for them later.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 04:51:57 PM »
My wedding ring is stainless steel and cost under $10. I never worry about it and don't have to take it off constantly because it is so slim and comfortable. No green ring finger, either!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »
That is sweet, she can put clear finger nail polish on the inside of the band, no more green finger :)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:54:22 AM »
That is sweet, she can put clear finger nail polish on the inside of the band, no more green finger :)

Haha, I was just going to suggest that!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!