Author Topic: My $137.13 cell phone bill  (Read 3905 times)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
My $137.13 cell phone bill
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:37:53 AM »
No, not for a month. $137.13 was for the whole year of 2016, so Ting is working out good for me. It comes out to $11.43 per month. On top of that, I have no land line.

Disclaimer: I only used data one month (I used Wi-Fi only the other 11 months), and I don't like texts so I keep that turned off at the account level saving $3 per month.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: My $137.13 cell phone bill
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
Thats badass. We are a family with 6 phones and I HATE IT. I try to set an example and if I need to use try to never let anyone in house see. Bitch all the time about how much they all spend on there phones but my DW just doesnt get it so its a fight I just dont pick anymore. Sad but I am beat up! lol..... but gotta pick and chose!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »
We spent about $250 for two cell phones (one with minimal data) and a landline this year.  We use the landline the most.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »

We really like Cricket.  5 lines for $100 a month ( $20 per line ) under the 'family plan'.  Each line gets 2.5Gig of data a month.  Unlimited everything else.  I really like the fact that data IS NOT shared between lines.  This has caused the kids to be aware of it and to ration data as necessary.  Also, if the data allotment is used up, they just lower the speed..they do not cut you off or charge you extra.   We do NOT buy the latest phones...we are all operating on used iPhone 5's that can be bought for quite reasonable prices these days.

I did take a look at Ting and it just doesn't work well for our family.  For us, Ting would be at least $26 a line ( $6 per phone fee + $20 for 2Gig data + other stuff such as Text messages ).  However, I do agree that Ting could be substantially cheaper if you REALLY watch your data and messaging.   We ( i.e. - the kids ) do not have that restraint...it would be too much of a hassle to deal with.

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
No, not for a month. $137.13 was for the whole year of 2016, so Ting is working out good for me. It comes out to $11.43 per month. On top of that, I have no land line.

Disclaimer: I only used data one month (I used Wi-Fi only the other 11 months), and I don't like texts so I keep that turned off at the account level saving $3 per month.

Nice work!

My phone is $203 for a year (includes unlimited texting though).

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
Badass!

I'm on the Airvoice Wireless $10 plan. I did buy an extra $10 in September. So, total 12 month phone expenditure is $130.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »
My own cell usage has been less than $80/year since I switched to PagePlus. Their $80/year plan allows about 150 minutes/month (I don't use data and rarely text). My wife's cell plan was no more than $30/month (PagePlus, slightly less on PTel, then MetroPCS) for the same time period.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
Nice! I was going to move to Ting, and I estimated a cost of $12/mo with my limited data and texting. I serendipitously ended up with a Republic Wireless phone and am on the unlimited talk & text plan, with pay per use data. I will spend around $170 annually.

Thank god I didn't go with Ting, because I started dating and holy crap do I send a lot of texts now.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 07:30:48 AM »
Thank god I didn't go with Ting, because I started dating and holy crap do I send a lot of texts now.

Exactly...or have kids.  I laugh at Ting's limits there...our kids must send 100s a day sometimes!   Like it or not, texting is how just about everyone communicates these days.   Especially the 'younger' generations..geez I'm making myself look old now.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 07:58:43 AM »

I've got a cure for texting. Old school flip phone. It's a pain in the ass trying to text on those things.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »

I've got a cure for texting. Old school flip phone. It's a pain in the ass trying to text on those things.

... But... But... Why would I want to stop texting all my dates? It's been the only thing keeping me sane when stuck working from home.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »

... But... But... Why would I want to stop texting all my dates? It's been the only thing keeping me sane when stuck working from home.

Haha true! I don't have to worry about that.

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »
Our net cost for cell phones should be right at $260 this year. My wife is on Cricket's $35 plan and I'm planning to refill my Mint SIM account for 12 months at $199. My company reimburses me $30 a month for my cell phone, bringing the net down to $260. In fact, I need to submit my reimbursement request for the past 12 months.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 10:09:26 PM »

That's how I got the habit of not texting. Small flip phone, pressing each button up to three times to get one letter. No Thanks.

Then I got my first smart phone three years ago (it was with Ting), and I enabled texting. But the only texts I got were spam, so that month I paid $3 to receive spam. No more text for me. $3 isn't much, but $36 per year sounds like more.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 10:27:03 PM »
I got you all beat.
I have 10 lines on my T-mobile plan that cost a total of $197.
I get a totalof $225 on the other 8 lines so me and my wife pays -$28/month which comes to -$336/year.