Author Topic: Mustachian Annual Bonus  (Read 3172 times)

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
Mustachian Annual Bonus
« on: March 11, 2016, 01:42:43 PM »
Feeling pretty great today as I received a pretty great annual bonus of ~$18K post-tax today. I immediately transferred:

1. $5,500k in our spousal tIRA to set up a back door roth next week (I did my contribution already). Her account contains our REIT allocation.
2. $6,000 to our 8 month old daughters 529 (up to 10K already!). 100% in Vanguard Aggressive Growth (529 has different offerings than normal Vanguard accounts)
3. $4,500 to my taxable Vanguard account (all in VTSAX)

This is my first bonus since finding MMM last year, so it feels great to be able to follow through on the principles. I thought briefly about using this to upgrade my 2007 car (only because my head is too close to the roof), but figured I could suffer through the 2,000 miles I drive each year.

Not sure what I'll do with the remaining $2,000. It may eventually find its way to Vanguard, but we also have some home improvement projects in the pipeline. I feel odd not having some expensive 'want'  to use it on.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian Annual Bonus
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 08:01:47 PM »
Congratulations on putting your bonus to good use!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:00:15 PM »
Nice work!  We "blew" my bonus, too.  Roth IRA contributions for the year, a start on DW's 403b, and $3k into the kids' 529 plans. Plus part of it automatically went into my 401k. Basically, we saved most of it and now it doesn't feel like I have any money to spend.

Saving your bonus is paying yourself first, and your future self will thank you (even as it gently curses you while hitting its head on the car's roof (or ceiling??)...

[Edited punctuation and clarified thoughts...]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 09:46:45 PM by Taran Wanderer »

bkmnky72

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »
Congratulations!  I got $10K last December, and threw it all towards the house down payment.  I look forward to next year's and plan to do a 1/3 savings/tax/spend plan. 

startbyservingothers

• Stubble
    • A Full Year
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
I'm 6'5" and drive a Cavalier so I can relate to the large person / small car thing.  Especially if you're driving few miles, a big car doesn't have to cost much more.  Crown Vics are of course well known inexpensive cars in the finance world.  I've also been really impressed with Sig Other's Honda Civics.  Has a very high headrest compared to even much larger cars.  (True for 2003, 2010, and 2012.)

I can certainly appreciate the desire to keep what you have though.  I've averaged 8K per year on my Cavalier, and it's just not worth changing unless I get an Amazing deal on something else.  -  Currently the goal is to find a Job close to SO's to destroy our 8 mile commutes MMM style.