Author Topic: Moderately badass  (Read 4308 times)

Lady Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Moderately badass
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
I've made some changes to my budget. First, I got rid of my landline. This was harder than you would think. I have an old rotary phone and I loved using it. But I could no longer justify paying for that very small pleasure. So, the phone line is gone. In its stead, I set up a Google voice number. Savings: $50/mo

It took me four months to get up the courage, but I switched my iPhone from a $100/mo plan to $25/mo pre-paid. In doing so, I gave up my data plan, so I only have wifi access to apps and web browsing. I feel like a bit of a pioneer. So far I like it. I have the option to add a data plan for as little as $5/mo. Nice to have that option; I'll try to avoid using it. Savings: $75/mo

I also gave up my gym membership, which I never enjoyed or used very much. I'm walking and biking more and doing yoga at home. All good. Savings: $75/mo

Feeling good that I've knocked $200 off my monthly budget. What should I tackle next?

amyable

• Bristles
Re: Moderately badass
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »
Woohoo!  It's always nice to see seemingly little changes add up to something larger, and it's even nicer to "cut the fat" on things you don't really even care about.  I think your next step will be finding other things you spend money on that aren't terribly important to you.   

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »
I have been able to reduce my car insurance payment because I now drive less than 5000 miles a year (or I am on track to). Before, I was driving over 15,000 miles a year (ouch!).

I bring my lunch to work every day. I cook a week's worth of lunches on Sunday afternoon and put it all in tupperware. It saves me time, money and I eat healthier.

I also make my coffee every morning and rarely go to a coffee shop. I keep tea-bags at work for when I want something hot to drink during the day.

I don't have cable and haven't for the last 15 years (in fact, I only got a tv 7 years ago).

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
Awesome, congrats! I'm working on whittling the little things out of my budget too. It's surprisingly rewarding.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »
After reading this thread, I thought about what I could whittle down...just cancelled the Hulu subscription (7.99/month). 

We still have Netflix (7.99) and basic cable (18.38).   We move in 8 weeks and will not be getting cable at the next house.

And our YMCA membership (56.00) expires this month and we will not be getting a membership in our new town.

The only think I think we'll keep is Netflix.  The rest seems like little stuff, but adds up to $82.  Nice!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:44:20 AM by ruthiegirl »

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »
And our YMCA membership (56.00) expires this month and we will not be getting a membership in our new town.

Good job! There are a wealth of free exercise alternatives to locking yourself indoors at the Y. With your $82/month savings, you will have over $14,000 after 10 years!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
I've made some changes to my budget. First, I got rid of my landline. This was harder than you would think. I have an old rotary phone and I loved using it. But I could no longer justify paying for that very small pleasure. So, the phone line is gone. In its stead, I set up a Google voice number. Savings: $50/mo

If you still have your rotary phone, you could make one of these for your iPhone!

http://www.cultofmac.com/5862/diy-rotary-phone-dock-for-your-iphone/

Congrats on all the budget improvements!

Phoebe

• Stubble
    • Phoebe's Journey
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
I love making changes like this - they add up!  We also cancelled our YMCA membership last fall and we are so happy to have our extra $65 each month!