Author Topic: MMM helps say no to a bad salary  (Read 7665 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
MMM helps say no to a bad salary
« on: November 24, 2019, 11:56:12 AM »
We moved for my husband's job and therefore I've been out of work for 4 months now.  I've been trying hard to find a job and a had a couple interviews but only one offer about a month ago.  And it was low.  I tried to negotiate and they said it was take it or leave it, so I left it.  Well I just got an offer for 14K more plus a bonus and a better 401k match.  Being able to afford to say no really matters.  Thanks to MMM for the ability to say no.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:21:34 PM by Gin1984 »

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: MMM helps say no to a bad salary
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »
Congratulations!  That's the power of FU money.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 05:07:54 AM »
Good for you! Huge difference!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 05:58:02 AM »
That's fantastic.

It really is unbelievable what having a bit of flexibility can do for you. You're really cornered when there's urgency in decisions: finding a job, buying a house, etc.

I often reflect on this from the hiring side of things, I get frustrated when my options are limited because I urgently need someone in a role.

Congrats on securing a situation where you have choice in your life. Patience is the best leverage.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 06:43:22 AM »
Well done!  I hope your great example inspires others.

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 08:56:43 AM »
High-five! Happy for you.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 09:07:55 AM »
Congrats!  It's an amazing feeling, isn't it!

I had a very similar experience after my last move. 

The power to say "NO" compounds just as well as interest.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »
Its only a fantasy, but wouldn't it be fun to send a "Thank you for not hiring me" note to the first company?

Congratulations on putting yourself in such a good place!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 10:23:50 AM »
Congratulations, Gin1984, and good for you!  For knowing you could say no AND for doing it!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
Its only a fantasy, but wouldn't it be fun to send a "Thank you for not hiring me" note to the first company?

Congratulations on putting yourself in such a good place!
LOL, that would be fun.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »
Good work!

Amazing how this stuff really works! I used the increased confidence in  having FU money to negotiate much better conditions when I changed jobs - about 2 years after finding MMM. ( I was already on the max pay scale so no wriggle room there) I leveraged my good reputation and long experience to get this , but I wouldn't have had the confidence to do so if I hadn't been mustachio'd. I worked that job another 5 years before retiring, and it made all the difference to my sanity.

Calimerostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »
Congratulations for your confidence in your own value !

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 11:38:54 PM »
Bumping this up so it can be read by more people. Great job!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 07:02:05 PM »
YES!!!  That is the best.  I hope the job is a good job and they treat you well!

EscapedApe

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 09:50:12 AM »
The ability to say "no" is a superpower that can be cultivated along with your net worth. Good job in putting it to use for truth and justice.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 04:04:56 PM »
I love this!

Retireatee1

• Stubble
    • Retireator.org
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 05:07:37 PM »
All professionals strive to get to the point where they can turn down lucrative work!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 05:32:55 AM »
Bumping this up so it can be read by more people. Great job!
Well, as long as you're getting all bumpy, let's nudge @Gin1984 to find out how the new job's going.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »
and therefore I've been out of work for 4 months now. 

How quickly will DH's and your raises make up for the loss of 4 months' pay? I.e. Will the move be profitable?

Also curious if you went to a place with a higher cost of living, or lower?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 07:58:20 PM »
Work is going wonderfully, I'm learning a lot and being valued. 
That said, the move itself was not profitable, however we previously moved to Iowa for a visiting professorship which worked for my husband but not for my career nor our family so we had always planned to move.  We moved to a higher cost of living area but we are happier and I am working in the kind of job I trained for with much more upward movement available to me and a tenure track position for my husband.  We are exactly where we want to be.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:42:49 PM by Gin1984 »

Aeowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Aeowulf Forums
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 09:58:37 AM »
You are absolutely right! Congratulations!

Held out for the right on myself and ended up with a $30k increase at the end of the year. Completely different mindset works wonders!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »
This is something that I thought about yesterday also.  My home town (I live very far from there now), is very rural, and well, dying.  Not many jobs/ industries left.  Pay kind of sucks there too.  Plenty of meth and heroin though.

I have a high school friend who still lives there, and she's worked out some good jobs for herself working remotely.  She also homeschools her son.  So, by taking remote jobs with Amazon and other companies like that, she has managed to make decent money (especially for the rural area).  She actually started helping others by having classes at the library on how to get in on that gig.  (Like, make sure you can type, and can spell, and have dedicated time and a home office, and proper equipment, plus high speed internet).

Now she's got a full time job for a different company (still a remote job) managing other people.

Anyway, since she's generally very helpful, she has also been sharing other local job opening on her FB wall.  Yesterday, I read one of them.  It sounded decent at first - sort of.  Competitive salary, 3% 401k match, 80% company paid health premiums, etc. (No word on what "competitive" is.) Must have experience with Excel, Word and Quick Books.  Must be able to multi-task.  So basically looking for highly skilled administrative personnel.

Until they got to...
5 days of vacation after 1 year (52 weeks of service).

So I said "That means you cannot take a single day of vacation in the first year??"  (I'm sure there are standard holidays, but no more than 9.
She said "huh, I did not notice that, weird".  A fellow classmate said "that's pretty standard".

So, if your kids get sick...what??

This is what is considered a "good" job there?  Just go ahead and work 52 weeks x 5 days and THEN we'll let you have 5 WHOLE DAYS OFF.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 07:50:12 AM »
Awesome!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 08:09:07 AM »
This is something that I thought about yesterday also.  My home town (I live very far from there now), is very rural, and well, dying.  Not many jobs/ industries left.  Pay kind of sucks there too.  Plenty of meth and heroin though.

I have a high school friend who still lives there, and she's worked out some good jobs for herself working remotely.  She also homeschools her son.  So, by taking remote jobs with Amazon and other companies like that, she has managed to make decent money (especially for the rural area).  She actually started helping others by having classes at the library on how to get in on that gig.  (Like, make sure you can type, and can spell, and have dedicated time and a home office, and proper equipment, plus high speed internet).

Now she's got a full time job for a different company (still a remote job) managing other people.

Anyway, since she's generally very helpful, she has also been sharing other local job opening on her FB wall.  Yesterday, I read one of them.  It sounded decent at first - sort of.  Competitive salary, 3% 401k match, 80% company paid health premiums, etc. (No word on what "competitive" is.) Must have experience with Excel, Word and Quick Books.  Must be able to multi-task.  So basically looking for highly skilled administrative personnel.

Until they got to...

So I said "That means you cannot take a single day of vacation in the first year??"  (I'm sure there are standard holidays, but no more than 9.
She said "huh, I did not notice that, weird".  A fellow classmate said "that's pretty standard".

This is what is considered a "good" job there?  Just go ahead and work 52 weeks x 5 days and THEN we'll let you have 5 WHOLE DAYS OFF.

Look at the bright side. No union dues!

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »
Congratulations! That's very satisfying.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »

Until they got to...

That's not so unusual. I've seen that in other jobs before, at least. Unfortunately.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 04:42:55 AM »
...Until they got to...

Everything is negotiable, but never more so than before you say yes to a job that's being offered. In my last pre-FIRE job, the company's vacation policy was the same. I said that they were hiring me because of my experience, specifically because I was established in my industry. Established people come with entrenched plans and therefore I would need three weeks vacation from day one. Happily, they agreed.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 05:06:33 AM »
Good for you!