Author Topic: Mission Accomplished: My wife (32) and I (30) just hit our goal of $1M!  (Read 50028 times)

ponchoape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freedom With Bruno
Hello fellow Mustachians!

My wife's bonus just got deposited in the bank account and we've now officially hit our net worth goal of $1,000,000!

We've quit our jobs, and we're going to travel for a while - next week we're driving down to Costa Rica (from Oakland, CA)!

"Early Retirement" became a goal for us three years ago. My wife and I started reading MMM and getting serious about reducing expenses, we moved all funds into Vanguard and optimized the portfolio, then kept working hard at our careers.

She has Chemical Engineer degree, I have Information Systems degree. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and rent a house.

Our income tax "total income" for 2014 was $233,000. For 2013 it was $204,000.

Here is a screenshot of our Mint.com Monthly Expenses for 2014 (monthly average was $1,764, which does not include the house we have been renting in Oakland, CA which is an additional $2,200 - so a total annual spend of $47,576.

Here is a link to a Google Spreadsheet Chart showing the growth of our savings over the last 3 years.

We plan on doing the 4% "safe withdrawal rate" and having an annual budget of $40,000.

Also, if you're curious I have some additional details posted here: http://freedomwithbruno.com/financial-independence/

Friday was my last day at work and I'm feeling pretty good (and excited)!

I would like to give a big thanks to MMM for being such a great inspiration for us over the last few years! THANK YOU!!

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:09:01 PM by ponchoape »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Congrats!

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
Awesome work. Congrats! Have fun on your trip. That will be amazing.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
That's amazing.  I saw your thread on reddit and enjoyed the responses. Congrats on such a huge number already accumulated and on having the juevos to take the leap.  Keep us updated on your adventures, trials, and tribulations.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
Fantastic work, you've made incredible progress the last three years, the speed of your net worth increase is impressive.

I have a similar plan at age 30, and find this story inspiring. Enjoy your trip!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
WOW, impressive! Congrats! If you don't mind me asking but are you and your wife planning on moving out of CA?  It's just the first thing that crossed my mind considering how expensive CA is and you were renting. Enjoy your retirement and ty for the details which lead and inspire me! :-)

ponchoape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freedom With Bruno
WOW, impressive! Congrats! If you don't mind me asking but are you and your wife planning on moving out of CA?  It's just the first thing that crossed my mind considering how expensive CA is and you were renting. Enjoy your retirement and ty for the details which lead and inspire me! :-)
Thank you!

We're about to spend a lot of time traveling, so we became residents of a no income-tax state before starting the journey. Our "home" is now in Nevada.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
Thank you!
We're about to spend a lot of time traveling, so we became residents of a no income-tax state before starting the journey. Our "home" is now in Nevada.

How great! Any city/country list or bucket list in general yet? I'm curious as I also want to travel more but I don't know if my FI will be as soon as yours, but comparably I think I've traveled quite a bit so I consider myself fortunate. ENJOY!

ponchoape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freedom With Bruno
Thank you!

How great! Any city/country list or bucket list in general yet? I'm curious as I also want to travel more but I don't know if my FI will be as soon as yours, but comparably I think I've traveled quite a bit so I consider myself fortunate. ENJOY!
Yes, we're super excited to start an adventure next week - driving down to Costa Rica from California!

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
Just read your post in Reddit as well. Congratulations - go enjoy your life! :)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
Re: Mission Accomplished: My wife (32) and I (30) just hit our goal of $1M!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »

I'm lost, can someone please link the Reddit article? Thanks.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
Fantastic, Your one of the few I have seen planning to actually live on 4% of your stash so it will be interesting to see if it pans out (as we all expect it will).

So tell us about your trip.. what do you expect in terms of safety, do you speak Spanish, what if you break down?

What are you planning to do for accomodation and healthcare?

Sorry I didn't mean to go all negative on you, I am genuinely interested because My Wife and I are seriously looking at selling up and moving "somewhere" in the next few years so these details are of considerable interest to us..:)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:44:45 PM by Exflyboy »

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 01:46:17 PM »
Congratulations! We didn't even come close at your age!

Last week we were within 3K of hitting the same goal and then the market dropped. Lol. Not sure when we will get there, but I do know it will be sometime this year since we're putting 6K a month into savings.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »
Dude - that's awesome for ones so young. You are model examples...MMM would be proud!

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »
Love reading this news.  Congrats!  Enjoy the travels!

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »

I'm lost, can someone please link the Reddit article? Thanks.

Here you go:

http://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/2y6wvf/hey_fi_my_wife_32_and_i_30_just_hit_our_goal_of/

pka222

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 02:23:45 PM »
So stoked for you two.  Inspirational- we are only 1/3 of the way there... 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
Congratulations. Would love to hear about your Costa Rica trip (and future trips)!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 02:49:31 PM »
Thats awesome, congratulations and happy travels

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 02:59:43 PM »

Congratulations!  I am also curious as to how long you plan to travel for, long term plans etc.  Do you think you this is your new permanent gig or are you going back to work at some point?

Love the story about Bruno, you did some significant work on him that will serve you well.

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 04:58:56 PM »
Woohoo I'm super stoked for you!  My favorite thing about this post is that you are driving to Costa Rica. The thing I day dream about the most surrounding FI is the ability to experience the world through travel that is counted in months rather than days as most "vacations" are.

I hope you share your journey with the rest of us.

ponchoape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freedom With Bruno
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 05:08:15 PM »
Fantastic, Your one of the few I have seen planning to actually live on 4% of your stash so it will be interesting to see if it pans out (as we all expect it will).

So tell us about your trip.. what do you expect in terms of safety, do you speak Spanish, what if you break down?

What are you planning to do for accomodation and healthcare?

Sorry I didn't mean to go all negative on you, I am genuinely interested because My Wife and I are seriously looking at selling up and moving "somewhere" in the next few years so these details are of considerable interest to us..:)
Thanks, I think in the future when we stop traveling and settle down, we'll try to further reduce our cost of living to be below 4%.

For our trip, Northern Mexico is the most dangerous. We plan on sticking to the toll-highway and cruise through without making many stops. Also, general rule of safety will be to only drive during daylight hours for our entire trip.

We've been practicing spanish for the last 3 months. For me, I listen to about 45 mins of lessons per day. So far so good!

If Bruno (our Toyota 4Runner) breaks down (hopefully not in Northern Mexico!), then we'll just take the time to figure it out. Either somehow fix it ourselves, or get towed to mechanic in town, shop around for estimates on repair, etc and get it done. We've put a lot of work into Bruno, so hopefully everything goes smoothly!!

For accommodations, so far we used AirBnb too book one place for a week in Puerto Escondido, MX and also used craigslist to find a house in Costa Rica (rent is $1,100/mo) and signed a lease for 5 months. I'm excited for the trip, but also excited to get down there, and settle-in to a relaxing routine!

Healthcare in Mexico and Costa Rica is pretty good and reasonably priced, so we'll likely pay cash at private clinics/hospitals if the need arises.

I wish you luck on your plans!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »
Congrats!  My wife and I are a similar age and similar net worth, and have similar plans (overseas travel).  We're planning to pull the plug in June.  Love to see other people doing it!  Keep us updated on your journey. :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
Insane!

If you are also stopping in Puerto Escondido, I am going to assume that you are surfing?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 05:30:10 PM »
Congratulations!! That is an amazing thing to accomplish, especially at such a young age!!

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
We spent about 10 days in costa rica on the pacific side a couple years ago.  Would be a perfect place to learn to surf.  We rented a house and prepared most of our own food.  Anything other than from scratch ingredients there were insanely expensive!  I'm sure you know that.  One could eat just fine on rice, eggs, beans, and fish you catch yourself.  And one would need to to keep the food budget within reason.

ponchoape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freedom With Bruno
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 08:45:28 PM »

Congratulations!  I am also curious as to how long you plan to travel for, long term plans etc.  Do you think you this is your new permanent gig or are you going back to work at some point?

Love the story about Bruno, you did some significant work on him that will serve you well.
Thanks! Right now we're aiming to travel to a different place roughly every 6 months, and would only go back to work if the world economy self-destructed or one of us found a hobby that also happened to produce an income.

Insane!

If you are also stopping in Puerto Escondido, I am going to assume that you are surfing?
Thanks - yes we'll be surfing in Puerto Escondido (the beginner waves, not Mexico Pipeline!)

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 08:53:03 PM »
Wow!! Congratulations to both of you.  We are old compared to you guys, 46, and 50, and we spend way too much. 

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 02:13:29 AM »
One of my friends who I've been pushing towards the MMM lifestyle is going to school for a chemical engineering degree.  I'll have to show him this thread.  :)  Enjoy your "new life" and safe travels!  If you need some house guests for a week then let me know!  lol

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
That is just impressive to reach that milestone at such a young age!  Enjoy your travels - keep us posted!

Kansas Beachbum

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »
That's pretty dang impressive, especially at your young ages!  Well done!  Hope you guys have a most wonderful adventure in Costa Rica!  Safe travels!

ponchoape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freedom With Bruno
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 07:21:31 PM »
We spent about 10 days in costa rica on the pacific side a couple years ago.  Would be a perfect place to learn to surf.  We rented a house and prepared most of our own food.  Anything other than from scratch ingredients there were insanely expensive!  I'm sure you know that.  One could eat just fine on rice, eggs, beans, and fish you catch yourself.  And one would need to to keep the food budget within reason.
Thank you, I haven't thought too much about diet, but we'll likely just conform to whatever "local" foods are reasonably priced and easily available. For the last year we've been leaning more towards paleo low-carb foods, but it sounds like this type of diet will end for us as soon as we cross over into Mexico!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 07:38:13 PM »
Congrats!  My wife and I are a similar age and similar net worth, and have similar plans (overseas travel).  We're planning to pull the plug in June.  Love to see other people doing it!  Keep us updated on your journey. :D
That wouldn't imply you are pulling the plug being a moderator here, right?

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 07:43:33 PM »
Impressive! I am so following your blog!

My wife and I are at $930k so right behind you, only about a decade older. We will travel too but some pets have to die of old age first and one cat is only 7 (or leave out antifreeze? JK!). We are in Reno area so if you come in the area to establish residency or anything else send a PM. We would love to have you over.

b1gm1ke11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 08:33:11 PM »
Congratulations!  What a remarkable achievement at such a young age. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 11:10:40 PM »

That wouldn't imply you are pulling the plug being a moderator here, right?

I don't know what my internet access will be like.  The other mods here are amazing though, and we may add another couple if I do need to step back a little. I'll probably still be on somewhat though, just not quite as much.  I took a break last summer for a few weeks and it worked out well. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 06:01:42 AM »
Congratulations! Now you get to enjoy your life on your terms.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »
Finally caught up on all the reading (thank you sharing all of it). Congratulations to you and your wife (and at such a young age - well done). I hope you will continue to share you adventures with us. Or at least, I will need to follow your blog. Have a wonderful trip.

I don't know what my internet access will be like.  The other mods here are amazing though, and we may add another couple if I do need to step back a little. I'll probably still be on somewhat though, just not quite as much.  I took a break last summer for a few weeks and it worked out well. :)

You think it went well, you just didn't see all the drama! ;)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 09:44:17 AM »
Nice one Chippy..;)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
Awesome!  Be sure to post some pics in the Post-FIRE subforum!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:04 AM »
Following your blog.

Seconding the 'post pics' request.

I'm planning on doing this trip (but further south) in a few years and I'm excited to hear all about it. :D

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 09:57:21 AM »
Just awesome!  Check out Duolingo for some Spanish help.   It is a great a fun way to learn.  Of course after 6 months you should be at a pretty good fluency anyway.   I'm guessing the 1,000 a month rental is pretty swanky?

ponchoape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freedom With Bruno
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 07:34:06 PM »
Just awesome!  Check out Duolingo for some Spanish help.   It is a great a fun way to learn.  Of course after 6 months you should be at a pretty good fluency anyway.   I'm guessing the 1,000 a month rental is pretty swanky?
Thanks! My wife is a big advocate for Duolingo, although up until now I've mostly been working on the audio lessons. I should really set aside 15 minutes a day to practice on Duolingo to get my vocabulary up - "I don't have time" is no longer a valid excuse now that I've quit my job!

The $1,100 home rental in Costa Rica is pretty great. We signed a 5 month lease for a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath home a few minutes walking distance from the beach! I plan on going for a run on the beach every morning, or possibly surfing... or possibly both?

FOBStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 07:45:26 PM »
You're an inspiration. We hit $1M last year but my hubby loves his job too much. I showed him this post and he started suggesting long vacations and possibly retiring in our 40s. We also live in the Bay and buying our primary residence soon. I think we will seriously consider RE once we pay off our home.

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 08:03:12 PM »
Well done!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »
Although posting to the forum and Reddit is fairly comprehensive, I'd appreciate it more if you started your own site.  That way you control the content, as opposed to some craziness that happens on posting to general sites.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:42:38 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2015, 08:30:20 PM »
Although posting to the forum and Reddit is fairly comprehensive, I'd appreciate it more if you started your own site.  That way you control the content, as opposed to some craziness that happens on posting to general sites.

http://freedomwithbruno.com/financial-independence/

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
Although posting to the forum and Reddit is fairly comprehensive, I'd appreciate it more if you started your own site.

http://freedomwithbruno.com/financial-independence/

Thanks! 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:41:47 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 06:13:28 AM »
Hello fellow Mustachians!

My wife's bonus just got deposited in the bank account and we've now officially hit our net worth goal of $1,000,000!

We've quit our jobs, and we're going to travel for a while - next week we're driving down to Costa Rica (from Oakland, CA)!

You had me at $1M, but the road trip to Costa Rica sounds awesome! I hope to follow in your footsteps on my motorcycle when I get to $1M in investments.

Have a great time. If you need any Baja adventure suggestions PM me I go there a lot.

-- Vik

ponchoape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freedom With Bruno
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »
You're an inspiration. We hit $1M last year but my hubby loves his job too much. I showed him this post and he started suggesting long vacations and possibly retiring in our 40s. We also live in the Bay and buying our primary residence soon. I think we will seriously consider RE once we pay off our home.
Thanks! We considered buying a home in the Bay Area a few years ago, but we couldn't make the numbers work in our favor. Values keep going up and up every year, so it's hard to say what the future holds. I wish you luck!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!