Author Topic: Minor win  (Read 3215 times)

Maigahane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Minor win
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »
At the beginning of the week I finally got the hubby to agree to take a break from school. Normally I'd never encourage dropping out of college but he already has TWO associates degrees, is basically done with a third that would let him transfer into an engineering degree, we owe $60k on his student loans and he has been BURNT OUT for a while now (and seriously, men can be really crabby when they're burnt out). So he's taking one online class to finish up the third associates and now we can carpool to work and the savings in gas and food (now that he doesn't have to go out to eat everyday between work and school) covers his student loan payment that we will now have to make. So week to week our financials haven't changed but now we're FINALLY paying on his loans that have been piling up since 2005.

On top of that my car is 10 years old and as of today 600 miles short of 200k miles so we've known that reliability might be an issue soon even though it's been a good car. Well, on the way home it overheated. We limped it to a mechanic and are waiting to hear the prognosis. Between it's age/mileage and the fact it's a very low value car anyway it won't take much for us to decide it's not worth fixing. At first I was freaking out, going on craigslist and looking at dealership inventories (used cars of course) but then remembered that since DH and I now carpool we actually don't NEED two cars. So now I finally got the kick in the pants I needed to sell my motorcycle and start stashing cash while having a relaxing search for the right replacement car (even if mine is worth fixing)

a.g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Minor win
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
Congrats! 'Little wins' are what savings are about, as they're relatively easy to find and add up to big change. Keep it going!

Nyarlathotep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »
Congratulations the small victories can be the most important!

Hell, if your car runs well  other than the cooling issue you really could just attempt to fix it on your own before paying a mechanic to do it. Cooling systems are not too complex and can prove to be pretty easy and woth while to repair.

Michelle119

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »
Congratulations! You have to start somewhere and all the small things add up over time.

Maigahane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:29:27 AM »
The car was fixable! My hoses just went bad so it leaked coolant. On a plus side my AC might be working better now. It's hard to say for sure yet since I just picked it up this morning but the AC has been getting worse lately and when I got in it this morning it was ice cold :)

Now to save and search for a "new" car

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!