Author Topic: Mcdonalds  (Read 14331 times)

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
Mcdonalds
« on: July 30, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
I use credit card exclusively, so I can track this kind of stuff through Mint.

2014: 16 visits
2015: 4 visits, including 1 for icecream and Playland with my nieces, no Bigmac.
2016: 1 visit that made my stomach churn.

I think I've kicked the habit.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mcdonalds
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
Great! McDonald's is horrible.

Kyrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »
I'm trying to kick my Chipotle habit, but I can't.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 04:40:01 AM »
Out of curiosity I went back and looked.

2012; 17 visits
2013: 10 visits
2014: 15 visits
2015: 13 visits
2016: 16 visits

$540.71 spent

Yeah - um I don't think we're curbing any habits here.

Only 11 of those were mine.  For a total of $72.78

I'm glad this is not a Dairy Queen list.  I'm a sucker for DQ.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
COEE, now you know, and...

lillyhammer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:23:05 PM »
Once you kick Mickey D's you will never be able to go back again.
I stopped eating it years ago and recently had a big mac after a late night out, threw up in less than 15 minutes after finishing it. No thanks!

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 02:43:44 PM »
I'm no fan of the general menu and when at home virtually never wander in (the nearest one being a 35-mile drive and not worth a special trip under any circumstances.)

But...  when driving cross-country or traveling by other means for any purpose I routinely rely on McDonalds for this specific meal:

1. One Breakfast Burrito w/ three hot salsa packets (yes, the one ridiculed by Taco Bell) ... $1.00 to $1.30

2. One Senior Coffee (if it is not hot and fresh they will make a new pot on request, so request)  ...$0.50 to $0.60

3. Cup of ice water ...$0.00

Always less than $2.00 all in, tax included with free napkins, free refills, free wi-fi and not worse than any other restaurant food; not too big for breakfast and not so extremely small  that you are hungry again in an hour. 

Stay hydrated, stay fed and stay awake.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »
Bobechs with the first defense 😁

I love McDonald's and go maybe once a month. Honestly I think a lot of people's dislike of it is due to Big Health Food propaganda and maybe subconscious classism. They can provide great value in terms of taste and convenience, as long as you:
1) use deals, such as their mobile app or coupons. They accept competitor coupons! There is no need to buy any of the entree items at more than 50% menu price.
2) buy dollar menu and more items, or whatever local promotions your store has (such as 2 for $3 breakfast sandwiches)

McDonald's is literally the best. Don't you dare think you're too high and mighty for McDonald's - we are all McDonald's. Relevant social experiment:

youtu.be/4Qa6QXBxxWw

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
I'm no fan of the general menu and when at home virtually never wander in (the nearest one being a 35-mile drive and not worth a special trip under any circumstances.)

But...  when driving cross-country or traveling by other means for any purpose I routinely rely on McDonalds for this specific meal:

1. One Breakfast Burrito w/ three hot salsa packets (yes, the one ridiculed by Taco Bell) ... $1.00 to $1.30

2. One Senior Coffee (if it is not hot and fresh they will make a new pot on request, so request)  ...$0.50 to $0.60

3. Cup of ice water ...$0.00

Always less than $2.00 all in, tax included with free napkins, free refills, free wi-fi and not worse than any other restaurant food; not too big for breakfast and not so extremely small  that you are hungry again in an hour. 

Stay hydrated, stay fed and stay awake.

It's ridiculous that McDonalds can serve a Burrito for $1... A hell of a lot of people, from the farmers, to the truck drivers to the staff on the counter must be getting screwed along the way for McD's to serve a burrito for a buck.

lillyhammer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 02:33:58 AM »
I wouldn't say its propaganda. Have you ever seen what McD's puts into their meat?
There is no good reason as to why a Mcd's beef patty does not spoil for months sitting on a counter. Cheap, processed food will kill you before you can even think about "FIRE-ing".

Little Aussie Battler

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 02:42:34 AM »
There's meat in a McD's burger???

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 11:49:53 AM »
I wouldn't say its propaganda. Have you ever seen what McD's puts into their meat?
There is no good reason as to why a Mcd's beef patty does not spoil for months sitting on a counter. Cheap, processed food will kill you before you can even think about "FIRE-ing".

Hmm, you have seen how they make them then?

Also, the "their burgers don't spoil" is not any different than any home made burger: 
http://www.snopes.com/six-year-old-happy-meal-doesnt-rot/

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »

I love McDonald's and go maybe once a month. Honestly I think a lot of people's dislike of it is due to Big Health Food propaganda and maybe subconscious classism. They can provide great value in terms of taste and convenience, as long as you:
1) use deals, such as their mobile app or coupons. They accept competitor coupons! There is no need to buy any of the entree items at more than 50% menu price.
2) buy dollar menu and more items, or whatever local promotions your store has (such as 2 for $3 breakfast sandwiches)

McDonald's is literally the best. Don't you dare think you're too high and mighty for McDonald's - we are all McDonald's. Relevant social experiment:

youtu.be/4Qa6QXBxxWw

They accept competitor coupons???  Anyone ever had any luck???

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 12:49:11 PM »
I looked at the fat, salt, and calories in the menu and that cured me of going.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 01:16:26 PM »
I confess I go once a year in March when the Shamrock Shake is available.  11 months out of the year I ignore them.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 04:15:36 PM »

Yes, there should be a small sticker on the doors with this policy. I've brought burger king coupons there and gotten some great deals this way, e.g., 2 chicken sandwiches and 2 fries for $5.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »

Yes, there should be a small sticker on the doors with this policy. I've brought burger king coupons there and gotten some great deals this way, e.g., 2 chicken sandwiches and 2 fries for $5.

Nice.  I'm a frequent Mickey D's customer and did not know that.  I shall give it a try.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »

Hmm, you have seen how they make them then?

Also, the "their burgers don't spoil" is not any different than any home made burger: 
http://www.snopes.com/six-year-old-happy-meal-doesnt-rot/

Thanks for your post and for combatting urban myths!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 06:07:16 PM »
Good for you!

I agree with everyone else saying that once you're off it, it is pretty repulsive if you go back.  It had probably been four years since I had McDonald's, and then I had it a few months ago (airport food, not many options) and it was terrible.  Also, apparently I ate 1000 calories of burger but it felt like I hadn't had lunch yet (still hungry).  Awful.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 06:09:57 PM »

youtu.be/4Qa6QXBxxWw

Just reminds me of this(one f-bomb warning):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgK_tPnGfcI

I try not to eat any fast food. Chicago has Portillo's, but I do like me the Golden Arches out on the road (with the caveats you mention!)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 06:13:46 PM »
I'm trying to kick my Chipotle habit, but I can't.

Try going to Pancheros, instead ;)

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 07:47:16 PM »
Just reminds me of this(one f-bomb warning):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgK_tPnGfcI

I try not to eat any fast food. Chicago has Portillo's, but I do like me the Golden Arches out on the road (with the caveats you mention!)

Thank you for the laugh! McDonald's needs a few crazies like myself and that guy who support them, to combat the prejudice and lies people believe about them.

Crusader

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
I rarely go because there is no where close by or convenient for me to make it a regular place to go. I have to go out of the way for it. So the extremely rare times I choose it is because I just want to try it again because I have not had it in a long time. That is with me skipping a Chipotle or other "better" food places.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 12:10:18 PM »
They are kinda gross, though I admit to having a 2-decade love for Big Macs.  Sadly, they are a lot harder to take off your butt than they are to put on.  26 year old men here, do what ya want, 40+ year old women don't have the luxury.  After reading "Fast Food Nation" I went off them completely for ... 6-8 years.  Then, at one point, my kid was 4.  And his buddy ate at McD's several times a week (brought in breakfast and toys).  So my kid thought McD's was a toy store.

I explained that it's a restaurant, and I'd much rather buy him a regular burger and a toy.  But it became this *thing* that he could never have.  So on a road trip at one point, we stopped for breakfast (in the desert).  I had to pee.  McD's is the place to pee on a road trip. My kid had fruit and yogurt and a hash brown.  He was 4.

So now it's tradition to go *once* on vacation (although we do often skip it).  I can eat the fries, but man - the food.  It's not good for you.  It's not!!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »
I use credit card exclusively, so I can track this kind of stuff through Mint.

2014: 16 visits
2015: 4 visits, including 1 for icecream and Playland with my nieces, no Bigmac.
2016: 1 visit that made my stomach churn.

I think I've kicked the habit.

What I neglected to mention was that 2012/3 I was visiting on average at least 1.25x per week.  Pre-Mint tracking, but I could estimate 60+ visits per year prior to MMM. 

Today, I walked 1/2 hour to the grocery store for lunch and bought potatoes, sour cream, German weiners, mustard and blueberries for $20- enough lunches for the week.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:29:51 PM by Heckler »

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 10:15:27 PM »

Good to know!  We have no burger king anymore in our town, but we have a McD's. 

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 09:49:20 AM »
I probably go to McD about 50x per year, but I'm a remote worker, and McD is the only place less than 5 miles away from home where I can go to get decent wifi and human interaction.  It's 2 miles each way, so I really like to walk there spring and autumn, have an unsweetened iced tea (a quart for like $1.29), and occasionally a $1 soft serve cone.  When I'm really dragging their coffee is absolutely fine, and cheap.

Also, the one near my house happens to be on the east coast greenway, which leads to me meeting a fair number of cyclists heading from ME to FL (or vice versa) stopping in for cheap calories.  So that's pretty cool.

It's also full of old people in the morning, and it's interesting listening in on their conversations.  There's a set of guys who talk a lot about finance, and there's one in particular whose job, I kid you not, is buying rolls of pennies from the bank, unwrapping them and looking for valuable pennies, and then rolling them back up and cashing them in at the bank.  He also owns several apartment buildings in FL, so it seems the pennies are just something to occupy time.
I will never forget how proud he was though the time he found two penny rolls each containing two dimes :)

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 11:02:23 AM »
Two good reasons to go to McD's:

1) Travel food. As Bobechs mentioned, you can get out of there pretty quickly and cheaply if you buy individual items from the value menu or similar special deals. For me, a McDouble and a $1 iced tea are the perfect road fuel.

2) Sick food. When you have a cold or something, but still want something solid, bland food like most of McD's staples is just the thing. Some fast food is disgusting when you can't smell due to congestion, since they depend on aroma-based flavoring to cover the low quality ingredients. But McD tends to focus on the actual tastes (esp. salt) and mouth-feel (fat), which holds up much better in this scenario.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 10:34:57 PM »
I worked at a mcdicks in uni, horrible pay and labour practices but I've always loved the food. The pizzas were actually pretty decent I used to pig out on cheeseburgers, pizza, fries, nuggets and shake before my shift as a manager because the food was free.

I stopped eating it for a while when I quit but I started going back a few years later and still eat there once a month. Way cheaper than most options and great road trip food.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 09:36:16 PM »
They led the charge towards massive, semi-monopolistic industrial farms including the ones that are really shitty to animals. Their food ranges from 'not that good for you but what the hell' to 'you just got diabeetus.' They target children with instant tie-in's to popular movies/toys, trying to get them hooked on their product early. Oh yeah, and the food sucks. I realize that the last statement is subjective but I mean, there is a reason that shit is a dollar.

There is a point where savings aren't worth the damage, but I may just be spouting hippy shit. I do indeed slice my own fries and have kale growing in the backyard. :D

youtu.be/4Qa6QXBxxWw

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »
They led the charge towards massive, semi-monopolistic industrial farms including the ones that are really shitty to animals. Their food ranges from 'not that good for you but what the hell' to 'you just got diabeetus.' They target children with instant tie-in's to popular movies/toys, trying to get them hooked on their product early. Oh yeah, and the food sucks. I realize that the last statement is subjective but I mean, there is a reason that shit is a dollar.

There is a point where savings aren't worth the damage, but I may just be spouting hippy shit. I do indeed slice my own fries and have kale growing in the backyard. :D

You list legitimate problems but they can't be pinned on McDonald's - IMO the problem is lack of government intervention and lack of people's self-control. McDonald's is not the only company advertising to children, not the only company with (some) unhealthy food, and can't be proven to have "led the charge" towards factory farms if they only purchase <5% of the meat consumed in the US. The citizens are the ones who need to pressure their government to step in if they don't want factory farms (whose rise could have been predicted in a capitalist country where citizens eat more meat per person than almost every other country in the world).

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »

You list legitimate problems but they can't be pinned on McDonald's - IMO the problem is lack of government intervention and lack of people's self-control. McDonald's is not the only company advertising to children, not the only company with (some) unhealthy food, and can't be proven to have "led the charge" towards factory farms if they only purchase <5% of the meat consumed in the US. The citizens are the ones who need to pressure their government to step in if they don't want factory farms (whose rise could have been predicted in a capitalist country where citizens eat more meat per person than almost every other country in the world).

The point is not to 'pin' everything to McDonald's but to say they were part of the problem from the early days. McDonald's did influence the move towards large scale food suppliers (Starting IIRC with Simplot and the frozen fries but meat producers consolidating as well) in the late 60's and early 70's. In the 80's they awarded Tyson the contract for producing the chicken mcnugget and they developed a breed of chicken specifically for McDonald's, does that give you an idea of their influence?

Getting off topic with putting the onus on citizens to fight with the government to regulate, that gets tough when the ag companies are tied in with local/fed government and have massive resources. See ag gag laws like Wyoming making it illegal to collect water samples on public land downstream of cattle ranches WITH THE INTENT of turning the samples over to the government. Or look at some of the reports on $$ spent by the large food companies to fight GMO labelling.

To get back to McDonald's I'll let others fight those fights, with my limited resources I just don't go to McDonald's or other fast food companies and do my best to buy real foods from local sources which luckily we have a lot of in these parts. If that makes me like that episode of Portlandia with the chicken farm (go watch if you haven't seen it, haha!) or a 'big health food' shill I'm good with that. :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:47:47 AM by big_slacker »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
2) Sick food. When you have a cold or something, but still want something solid, bland food like most of McD's staples is just the thing. Some fast food is disgusting when you can't smell due to congestion, since they depend on aroma-based flavoring to cover the low quality ingredients. But McD tends to focus on the actual tastes (esp. salt) and mouth-feel (fat), which holds up much better in this scenario.

The last thing I've ever thought of doing when sick was putting McDonald's food-like substances into my body.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 02:05:35 PM »
I haven't been inside any fast food restaurant in at least 2 years...

I've maybe gotten an ice cream cone once or twice at McDonald in college because groups of people went there but I don't even remember the last time I've eaten actual food from MD, BK, Wendys type restaurant... maybe 8 years? idonno

Literally has zero appeal to me. All it is is just easy food for lazy people
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:07:27 PM by CmFtns »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 02:14:02 PM »
I go to McD's a lot, but all of the charges on my credit card are $1.09 (with tax).

I find their $1 large black coffee in the morning is a decent deal as well as their $1.09 large soda.

I don't really get anything else.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »

The last thing I've ever thought of doing when sick was putting McDonald's food-like substances into my body.

I learned something...maybe it will come in handy one day!
OTOH, I think I'd rather starve ;-)

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »
I go to McD's a lot, but all of the charges on my credit card are $1.09 (with tax).

I find their $1 large black coffee in the morning is a decent deal as well as their $1.09 large soda.

I agree with you about the coffee in the morning - it is usually quite fresh due to high volume of sales.

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 09:33:55 PM »

If you're only drinking black coffee then $1 is still pretty expensive.

Have you tried an aeropress? $30 or so in the US.

http://www.aeropress.com.au/

They make a consistently great cup of coffee and are really convenient. I used to use a stove top but it was a pain.

In Australia a $5 bag of ground coffee yields 25 cups. So that's 20c a cup, compared to $3.50-$4 which is how much a cup of coffee costs from a cafe.

I've not actually done this calculation before but in Australia, 25 cups of cafe bought coffee comes to $87.50 versus about $12 for home made aeropress (once you factor in 3x soy milk or milk).  What sweetens the deal is that I prefer my homemade brew to the cafe made versions.

$1 for McD coffee is however, extremely convenient.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »
Jerky doesn't spoil either, pretty much any meat when sterilized (cooked) and dried won't spoil. It would actually be scary if it did spoil, seriously what do you do to your food to make it rot faster?

Go around your kitchen and look at all the food that doesn't spoil; croutons (bread), raisins (grapes), flour, sugar, crackers, lots of dried goods...maybe the dried part is key...

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 11:36:47 AM »
You are what you eat... so if you eat food that doesn't spoil, you won't spoil either!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
You are what you eat...

It's why I exclusively dine upon other people.

Bajadoc

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »
I gave up fast food years ago. Now just the smell of it makes me feel sick.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 11:32:39 PM »
OK, look past the shiny pictures and think about what's behind the counter--at any industrial food chain.
I worked at McD.
It's all frozen, highly processed, rapidly heated . . . to the required correct e-coli killing temperature IF the staff have set up the equipment properly, and are monitoring it as required.
(Don't ask about the chilled-vegetable oil milkshakes!)
Take a look at the staff (usually kids in my neck of woods): do you trust them with your health? Cause if you suffer an e coli infection you're gonna have long term effects.
All this said, what the heck you can probly eat a bit of anything and get away with it. But all massive-food-industry-type food comes out of a machine. Industrial bread has grease marks on it--from a machine. Visit an industrial meat plant. Get the real experience.
Humans can digest all kinds of stuff and be OK, but really, any food you can make yourself out of real ingredients handled by, you know, farmers . . .is gonna kick ass compared to industrial food.
Mac attack? Buy a big bag of carrots and eat that.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 02:30:28 AM »
I don't know why McDonalds gets such a bad rap all the time.   Comparing to other fast food, they have made a concerted effort to clean up their food.   Yes, it IS highly processed, but you can eat there just fine.  It is exceptionally fast, and not too expensive, when you are already 10 minutes late driving kids to their appointment across town.  Certainly better than a chocolate bar, slurpee and chips from 7-11....

Items I order include: 

Water / Iced Tea
Milk
Yogurt parfaits
Ice Cream and sundaes
Signature grilled chicken wraps or Veggie wraps...
McDoubles / Basic  (small) Cheeseburgers
Side salad (surprisingly good for a fast food joint)
Coffee
I am pretty sure I  had oatmeal once too...

I have also ordered the Angus burger, made to order with extra veggie toppings, and for fast food, it is pretty nice and fills a fast food spot indeed.

Yes, you will get a small amount of highly processed foods, but for eating out, you can and not feel ill, that is for certain.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »
I remember when I was a kid and McDonald's was the epitome of awesome. My husband felt the same way growing up and he's not even American.

Now it is so 'meh'. Our kid went through a McDonald's phase, but grew out of it around 7 and hasn't asked for it since. She'd rather go have sushi or go to some sit down restaurant.

Last time we were at McDonald's, it was in May. Sort of a nostalgia thing. When we lived in Germany, we used to get the chicken burgers all the time. I picked one up when we were over there recently and it was...lol, better in my memory. I threw most of it away.

It isn't I guess that fast food (MCD's, BK, LJS, etc) is terrible and makes us sick or anything. It is more like we found we can get better food for about the same price or less just going to the grocery store/Costco deli or quick service counter if we happen to need a fast meal out.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 10:59:58 PM »
This is great! I used to go to Subway way too much. Resolved end of 2014 to never go again.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2016, 08:57:31 AM »
Going to McDonalds on occassion is not bad, especially when you have coupons. I look it as a way to cleanse my body if I am feeling a little backed up...

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2016, 12:18:36 PM »
Going to McDonalds on occassion is not bad, especially when you have coupons. I look it as a way to cleanse my body if I am feeling a little backed up...

Ha. This is exactly what I use Taco Bell for.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »
The ONLY things I have ever bought at mcds is their Oreo mcflurry (never again though.. Way to expensive!) and their fries. Ok.. Yes I am addicted to their fries, so good! Otherwise, nothing there I want. I think I average 10-12 visits a year there. We rarely eat fast food, if we're going to eat out we prefer trying a new unique one of a kind type place. We love a lot of local eateries.

Honestly though, I'm not sure why so many rag on mcds.. Burger King and other fast food chains are just as unhealthy and same design.

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 04:01:54 AM »
I confess I go once a year in March when the Shamrock Shake is available.  11 months out of the year I ignore them.
Yes the green shamrock shake!