Author Topic: Maxed out my Roth IRA Contribution for 2016 today  (Read 2551 times)

xclonexclonex

• Stubble
Maxed out my Roth IRA Contribution for 2016 today
« on: February 24, 2016, 05:30:05 AM »
I invested $5300 in VTSMX -

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0085&FundIntExt=INT

It makes me nervous, but I know this is the only way to go. I hope this isn't a terrible idea.

3Mer

• Bristles
Re: Maxed out my Roth IRA Contribution for 2016 today
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »
Great job!  And your post made me realize I should research which fund to put my Roth contributions in.  Right now they are one of the Target Retirement Year funds.

xclonexclonex

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:07:37 AM »
I was using a target retirement fund as well, but I wanted to convert the total stock market fund into an admiral shares. I will have accomplished that next year. I really should have put more money into this fund last year, but its never too late.

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »
Technically, you've got another $200 until you're maxed :)

I'm just being a jerk.  Awesome milestone and congratulations!

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 08:53:03 AM »
When I was in college I was contributing to my Roth IRA, but when I got my first job out of college, I switched to all traditional accounts. So even though now my Roth looks tiny compared to my tIRA, I've had my Roth in a single fund, VTSMX, for that entire time.

Once you've seen enough ups and downs of your own money, it becomes less scary and just part of everyday life.

xclonexclonex

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »
Technically, you've got another $200 until you're maxed :)

I'm just being a jerk.  Awesome milestone and congratulations!

Thanks for the observation :) I contributed $200 last month :p Appreciate your encouragement.

When I was in college I was contributing to my Roth IRA, but when I got my first job out of college, I switched to all traditional accounts. So even though now my Roth looks tiny compared to my tIRA, I've had my Roth in a single fund, VTSMX, for that entire time.

Once you've seen enough ups and downs of your own money, it becomes less scary and just part of everyday life.

I see. I just need to learn to be less scared I guess. I mean, its not like I have a choice regarding this anyway, I will have to invest to grow wealth. I just hope it pays off at some point.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!